Player Reviews

Mousey

"We rated his game as equal to the game last week, when he kicked five goals."

That's the quote that I found disturbing. Little wonder we haven't looked like kicking 100 points in any game this year, when the coaches have this mindset. If he was promoted to the seniors, they'd be just as happy if he made 4 tackles than kick 3 goals. Amazing!

I find it amazing that you don't understand that the DEES kept getting slaughtered by the opposition when we lose the ball, then we don't have the skill to get back defensively to manup & choke down the play.

This means that the New coaches are instilling the disipline into the team be accountable for your opponent, to win the footy without being loose & if the opposition gets the pill get back & manup & pressure the contest.

When they've got these skills down, then I'm sure they'll be able to take the game on as long as they are responsible for their opponent.

Personally I'm rapt that we're finally getting some decent discipline & hardness taught to our young & older players.

GO YODA & CHOPPER.

Regarding Yze, its pretty hard to be consistent in a forward pocket of a struggling team, and I wouldn't say any other of our experienced players (Neitz, Robbo, Bruce, White) have been more consistent than Yze. If he plays well enough (and judging by the Sandy games I've seen this year he just about has) he should be selected. Giving a joungster a game who doesn't deserve it sends the wrong messages, and to be honest, some of them would learn more at Sandy this year rather than not getting a touch for MFC.

I'm impressed with Kyle Cheeney even if it is only reserves. 35 possesions of half back is very good!!

Nice to get a report from sandy on our players!!

Agree

Perhaps the defensive toughnut we are crying out for

When they've got these skills down, then I'm sure they'll be able to take the game on as long as they are responsible for their opponent.

I don't want to get caught up in this Bailey game-plan debate, but Leigh Matthews stated after the Collingwood game that with all the bench rotations, midfielders can't be held responsible for a direct opponent. And the skill you talk about in getting back defensively, is more to do with the structure that the coach has implemented, rather than the players themselves. If you have numbers around the ball carrier, of course you're going to get caught out if you lose the ball.

As long as your happy watching us struggle to kick 10 goals a game, that's all the matters.

BTW, the individual brilliance of Buddy Franklin is why Hawthorn are undefeated. He can be selfish as all f#ck, but he consistently wins games. End of story.

And your continuous denigration of Yze is nauseating.

watch a buddy franklin game closely. you will see that he works hard off the ball and does do the team things. there was an article floating around about him the other day (circa 2007) which included quotes from the hawthorn recruiting department. they said that he struggled when he played under 18's because he couldnt absolutly dominate like he could at school footy, but they noticed that quickly he started doing things like giving off handballs etc

he does a lot on his own, but he will do the team thing aswell. we struggle in that dept. especially when we have 4 guys flying for marks and no one crumbing...

I don't want to get caught up in this Bailey game-plan debate, but Leigh Matthews stated after the Collingwood game that with all the bench rotations, midfielders can't be held responsible for a direct opponent. And the skill you talk about in getting back defensively, is more to do with the structure that the coach has implemented, rather than the players themselves. If you have numbers around the ball carrier, of course you're going to get caught out if you lose the ball.

Its amazing you heard that interview with Matthews. It gave a compelling insight to how and why the game has changed so much. But in the all crap you have gone on about game plan you missed the major messages from it and sought to misconstrue other points into a condemnation of what you clearly have no idea about.

Amazing.

Tom McNamara

He is showing signs for us that he is a good player, when he goes and gets the ball. It’s fair to say that he is struggling for confidence at bit at the moment. He probably hasn’t adapted to playing at Sandringham just yet, but at only 17 we think that he is not to far away. He has got a fantastic ability to read the play really well, and is strong overhead. His work ethic has been a little inconsistent, but he is certainly a talented player for us.

Isaac Weetra

Isaac is playing across the half back line, just to give him a reference point on the field. He has been struggling to get his hands on the ball at half forward and his confidence is a little down. We have played him in a variety of roles, but we are keeping it simple for him at the moment. He needs to beat his man, and then attack the game from there.

Trent Zomer

Trent Zomer has been consistently good for us over the last four weeks, and kicked seven goals for us in Round Two. He is playing a combination of full forward and ruck, and he is a good kick for goal and a strong mark. We are working on his work ethic at the moment, as he just needs to get his repeat leads and his physicality up a couple of notches so that he can play senior football down the track.

I found these reports a little worrying. Weetra is really struggling obviously, but the work ethic issues with the other two is amazing really. They really need to learn quickly that just making an AFL list is not the destination. Hopefully they choise some of our hardest working senior players to model themselves on and make the most of their oppurtunity.

Being "inconsistent" in work ethic probably isn't too much of a worry tbh.

Although McNamara is a rookie (I think) so you'd expect all of them to try that little harder to make sure they get listed in the years to come.

Macnamara is on our normal list, and was a late draft pick last year.

however he is 17 yrs old only and is the youngest player in the afl, so he has time to develop

Being "inconsistent" in work ethic probably isn't too much of a worry tbh.

If given what is expected with no effort going foward

If thats acceptable at melbourne we just picked the wrong coach

Glad its not you :lol:

I meant that young kids tend to drift a fair bit, and that as long as they show some willingness to learn it kinda levels out and the consistency eventually comes.

When they show basically no effort eg Damian Cupido is when you're f***ed

Kids make more mistakes is expected but work ethic is a difference scenario so i understand what your saying

Cupido yeah but the one that i had in mind for us was Sean Charles

Cant believe how someone so talented ended up so useless

With the form of Garland, Warnock and Martin it amazes me that Carroll who has been belted every week still gets a game.

Weetra is back were he belongs struggling in the 2's. It shows how much Bailey knows about football allowing him to play the first 2 weeks. I don't know if Bailey is actually a coach or a comedian if his game plan is to win the spoon he has done it to perfection.

Cupido yeah but the one that i had in mind for us was Sean Charles

Cant believe how someone so talented ended up so useless

Balme ruined his career playing him with a broken hand\wrist which took a very long time to heal. Bailey has the same coaching manual.

Matthew Bate

Matthew Bate had 22 touches, playing primarily in the midfield but also across the half forward line. He played a really good game in only his second game back from injury (he was our best on ground last week in the reserves, playing as a midfielder). He worked really hard and had a really good balance of being inside, winning the contested ball, but also won it outside and broke the lines. Matthew was one of our best midfielders on the day.

How did this bloke not get picked for Melbourne this week? After all, he was third in our B & F last year.

Is he not fit or is it that hard to break into a team that can't get within five goals of anyone else in the competition?

With the form of Garland, Warnock and Martin it amazes me that Carroll who has been belted every week still gets a game.

Weetra is back were he belongs struggling in the 2's. It shows how much Bailey knows about football allowing him to play the first 2 weeks. I don't know if Bailey is actually a coach or a comedian if his game plan is to win the spoon he has done it to perfection.

Yet to see Carroll get "belted"

Considering how often the ball is coming in he's held up quite well