EXAMPLE OF HOW FOOTBALL MARKETING SHOULD BE DONE

The Emblem

OK this is indulgent because it concerns my Godson's little brother and his family down in Tassie.

Godson is a full on indocrinated Dee, his little brother goes for the Crows...because he just likes to be different OK!

Their two year old sister has a serious long-term illness, its been a tough time for all, especially hard on the kids. Mother contacts the Crows, tells them whats going on and ask's for some autographs etc when they come down to play in Tassie.

Crows marketing department, ever alert, see opportunity and instead make him the official ball carrier / mascot. Feel good story, so the press get hold of it, Tasmanian Mercury give it two photos and 3 columns. Kid goes to school and literally is a legend in his own lunchtime. He is a Crow for life now, and others may follow. Crows say they are going to do a follow up feature on their website.

Compare & Contrast. I approached MFC marketing department weeks ago to see if we could do the same for 9 year old Dee supporting Godson when he comes over for his annual QB extravaganza. Sorry, No Go, as the Mascot duties go to the kids of sponsors, I can understand them getting to run out, but would one more have hurt!

And which story will get the press interest...son of car exec runs onto MCG? or a story with a bit of heart and soul?

Adelaide Crows last year broke the AFL season ticket record with 50,976...do they get lax, no, they still remember to do the little things very well

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankly you draw a long bow between the Adelaide membership and the appointment of a little kid in a State where they play one game a year and is the subject of a cutesy article in the Mercury paper.

I have heard that many marketing know alls on this site with self serving fix all solutions I have been surprised that multi nationals dont snap them up for higher postings.

What I can glean from your post, is that MFC have thought about the mascot and has given some sense of enjoyment back to a sponsor. FFS they need it sponsoring our lot. And you are miffed that they did not have the spot filled for the biggest financial day in the MFC football calendar.

And by the way, its hardly news in Victoria where there is football every weekend and mascots aplenty with no mention in the media.

And as far as doing the little things well, in this situation MFC seemed to have done it on this occassion. They clearly had other arrangements and did not buy into your self serving plan. Guess that costs them 25,000 members!

What a disaster!

Frankly you draw a long bow between the Adelaide membership and the appointment of a little kid in a State where they play one game a year and is the subject of a cutesy article in the Mercury paper.

I have heard that many marketing know alls on this site with self serving fix all solutions I have been surprised that multi nationals dont snap them up for higher postings.

What I can glean from your post, is that MFC have thought about the mascot and has given some sense of enjoyment back to a sponsor. FFS they need it sponsoring our lot. And you are miffed that they did not have the spot filled for the biggest financial day in the MFC football calendar.

And by the way, its hardly news in Victoria where there is football every weekend and mascots aplenty with no mention in the media.

And as far as doing the little things well, in this situation MFC seemed to have done it on this occassion. They clearly had other arrangements and did not buy into your self serving plan. Guess that costs them 25,000 members!

What a disaster!

No problem with sponsors kid running out, and yes its indulgent because its the godson - regardless of that one more would not dilute the joy a sponsors child would get, and unlike most many mascots there is a story there. To me it highlights Adelaide's ability to a) take a small thing and make mileage out of it and that B) realises that exciting the kids at a grass roots level is of prime importance [and there is a knock on effect to the parents too].

Contrast this to a club that has completely failed to capitalise on the membership drive opportunity presented by the 150th, and sent out relatively disappointing members packs, and sent them late.

No problem with sponsors kid running out, and yes its indulgent because its the godson - regardless of that one more would not dilute the joy a sponsors child would get, and unlike most many mascots there is a story there. To me it highlights Adelaide's ability to a) take a small thing and make mileage out of it and that B) realises that exciting the kids at a grass roots level is of prime importance [and there is a knock on effect to the parents too].

Contrast this to a club that has completely failed to capitalise on the membership drive opportunity presented by the 150th, and sent out relatively disappointing members packs, and sent them late.

Think that is a bit unfair on the clubDeeReaming as they must get these requests all of the time. There are many children out there who are ill etc who would love to be a mascot but obviously it is not always possible. The club clearly has a community conscience as can be seen from the Pink days, Berrys Street days etc. They appear to have got a sponsor for the gig which from a financial point of view is the aim. That might have with it a caveat that no other mascot is allowed for the price paid, I don't know. The real issue is has any other attempt been made to in some way make this kid a happy Demon, for example sending him an autographed picture of the players etc, or getting a phone call from one of the boys. That to me would be the job of an efficient marketing department.

What a disaster!

Good on ya Rhino...Typical from you

And of course MFC does not realise a kids excitement at all. How dare they knock back your Godson. Like I said its cost us 25,000 at least.

A rather self serving piece of moralising just because you could not get your way.

It was a completely different circumstance for Adelaide as against MFC. Adelaide were playing an away game. They had little exposure and I dont know if they have any supporters in Tassie. And given that it was MFC's biggest day in the year it is presumptious at best that you could have your agenda undertaken. BTW, I could put just as good a case for relatives to go ahead of your godson. As I am sure others could.

Like I said self serving.

At least the other marketing wizs here were making efforts (often misguided) with their criticism to try and boost club memberships and not feather one's own nest.

The real issue is has any other attempt been made to in some way make this kid a happy Demon, for example sending him an autographed picture of the players etc, or getting a phone call from one of the boys. That to me would be the job of an efficient marketing department.

Thats right, Redleg, when I told the club what Adelaide were doing for the brother all I got was a no, because...not a no and instead how about...and I did ask if there was anything else they might be able to do.

The way Adelaide treated my Godson's brother was mighty impressive, in the grand scheme of things just a small matter.

But its these little things that add up...and if done well can even start compounding the growth in members numbers.

P.S.

Rhino I do have an MBA, a degree in marketing, and a background in client liaison.

Thats right, Redleg, when I told the club what Adelaide were doing for the brother all I got was a no, because...not a no and instead how about...and I did ask if there was anything else they might be able to do.

But its these little things that add up...and if done well can even start compounding the growth in members numbers.

That is disappointing and I think you should write to the marketing department. A failure to receive a decent reply with some kind of action would warrant a letter to the CEO in my opinion.

Some will say this is unsurprising but Im with ya Deereaming. Im coming more and more to think that this club has not a morsel of lateral thinking about it. Hopefully PM will attend to this.

Im not sure but you get the impression that the MFc just expects the world to beat a path to its door simply because it exists.

Well done Adelaide..

The way Adelaide treated my Godson's brother was mighty impressive, in the grand scheme of things just a small matter.

P.S.

Rhino I do have an MBA, a degree in marketing, and a background in client liaison.

Then you surely cannot be blind to your own foibles on this. Or can you? :huh:

The Club gets many requests on its big days that are as justified as yours. And as Redleg advises the Club is community minded in many facets and your connection with membership numbers and being refused your preference only sustains the self serving sense of your initial post. Should have hit them for a few tickets as well! They could only have said no and its such a small matter that could impact on memberships.

And a letter to the Club rather than an anonymous belt on a public website would be more effective. Surely that would have come up in your studies.

OK this is indulgent because it concerns my Godson's little brother and his family down in Tassie.

Godson is a full on indocrinated Dee, his little brother goes for the Crows...because he just likes to be different OK!

Their two year old sister has a serious long-term illness, its been a tough time for all, especially hard on the kids. Mother contacts the Crows, tells them whats going on and ask's for some autographs etc when they come down to play in Tassie.

Crows marketing department, ever alert, see opportunity and instead make him the official ball carrier / mascot. Feel good story, so the press get hold of it, Tasmanian Mercury give it two photos and 3 columns. Kid goes to school and literally is a legend in his own lunchtime. He is a Crow for life now, and others may follow. Crows say they are going to do a follow up feature on their website.

Compare & Contrast. I approached MFC marketing department weeks ago to see if we could do the same for 9 year old Dee supporting Godson when he comes over for his annual QB extravaganza. Sorry, No Go, as the Mascot duties go to the kids of sponsors, I can understand them getting to run out, but would one more have hurt! <<<<this is what I can't stand about this club, It sickens me that we don't put the grass roots supporters on equal footing as anyone other Dees supporter, me & my family included!

And which story will get the press interest...son of car exec runs onto MCG? or a story with a bit of heart and soul?

Adelaide Crows last year broke the AFL season ticket record with 50,976...do they get lax, no, they still remember to do the little things very well

Given the amount of money sponsors put into the Club they deserve the extra incentives where appropriate. A sponsor puts in 10,000's of $$$ and is worth how many grass root memberships.

No wait I can see it now. Sponsor pulls sponsorship due to small minded club official denying son run on as a mascot.

Now wouldn't the marketing wizs have a great time with that....."Just typical of this Club" "They have no idea how to satisfy sponsors".

MFC will be damned if they do and dammed if they dont.

P.S.

Thanks for this story 'DeeReaming', the Quicker Stynes joins the Board & he & Connolls grab a larger share of controll, the better this club will be. A move to the Left is neede here to put this club back into balance with the community, & then following the new supporters will come.

That is disappointing and I think you should write to the marketing department. A failure to receive a decent reply with some kind of action would warrant a letter to the CEO in my opinion.

I had a similar knock back with MFC marketing only last month. Rang the club and told them I could help from another club, (which I didn't really want to accept) but as a premium MFC member, I voiced my disappointment. I was put through to the CEO's secretary.... and BINGO.

Then you surely cannot be blind to your own foibles on this. Or can you? :huh:

The Club gets many requests on its big days that are as justified as yours. And as Redleg advises the Club is community minded in many facets and your connection with membership numbers and being refused your preference only sustains the self serving sense of your initial post. Should have hit them for a few tickets as well! They could only have said no and its such a small matter that could impact on memberships.

And a letter to the Club rather than an anonymous belt on a public website would be more effective. Surely that would have come up in your studies.

1/ Whether said Godson runs out our not irrelevant to arguement...comparison between attitude, aptitude and execution skills of the marketing department is, Adelaide took a small request and made impressive mileage when they could easily have elected to do the minimum required, even though they have 50,000 + members they are not lax.

2/ As for the Marketing department, I have put plenty of ideas to them...well received but alas no action...so if that doesn't work maybe a clip on the ears will

3/ They have DeeReaming's full name and contact details so they know who I am

4/ Godson doesn't need a ticket - I buy him a membership

Given the amount of money sponsors put into the Club they deserve the extra incentives where appropriate. A sponsor puts in 10,000's of $$$ and is worth how many grass root memberships.

No wait I can see it now. Sponsor pulls sponsorship due to small minded club official denying son run on as a mascot.

Now wouldn't the marketing wizs have a great time with that....."Just typical of this Club" "They have no idea how to satisfy sponsors".

MFC will be damned if they do and dammed if they dont.

Quite the supersillious mon0-dimensional view of this If I must say. Sponsors dont hand over their 1000's just so some kid of theirs can do the G-Jiggy!!ffs.. They do so for commercial reasons.. any thing esle is just a lil perk of sorts. If the club were to turn around and say to them how much benefit the club and hence it sponsors would get from a simple deed of goodwill there really is no counternance.

Oh sorry..was that the sound Toyotoa pulling its Camries from Crowsville I hear ?? :lol::rolleyes:

I had a similar knock back with MFC marketing only last month. Rang the club and told them I could help from another club, (which I didn't really want to accept) but as a premium MFC member, I voiced my disappointment. I was put through to the CEO's secretary.... and BINGO.

Well done True Believer.

You had the sense and reason to call the Club and communicate your dissatisfaction to rectify your situation and hopefully assist the Club improve these issues and did you get things resolved satisfactorily?

At least you gave the Club the benefit of rectifying the situaton.

1/ Whether said Godson runs out our not irrelevant to arguement...comparison between attitude, aptitude and execution skills of the marketing department is, Adelaide took a small request and made impressive mileage when they could easily have elected to do the minimum required, even though they have 50,000 + members they are not lax.

2/ As for the Marketing department, I have put plenty of ideas to them...well received but alas no action...so if that doesn't work maybe a clip on the ears will

Pity we are debating what is good marketing or poor marketing by the club. In my opinion to not find something to send out, even a card with some autographs is " [censored] weak poor marketing" end of debate. The only redeeming feature may be that it is a new young employee who as a result will be enlightened.

The only redeeming feature may be that it is a new young employee who as a result will be enlightened.

we can only hope.. ;)

never undervalue the 'little' things

Quite the supersillious mon0-dimensional view of this If I must say. Sponsors dont hand over their 1000's just so some kid of theirs can do the G-Jiggy!!ffs.. They do so for commercial reasons.. any thing esle is just a lil perk of sorts. If the club were to turn around and say to them how much benefit the club and hence it sponsors would get from a simple deed of goodwill there really is no counternance.

Oh sorry..was that the sound Toyotoa pulling its Camries from Crowsville I hear ?? :lol::rolleyes:

And it can be the small matters that goes along away keeps them or loses them. Remember these sponsor decisions are still made by people that expect and should be looked after. Likewise the same argument could apply to the disgruntled poster who could not get his way and surely he would understand the need to look after sponsors.

And it can be the small matters that goes along away keeps them or loses them. Remember these sponsor decisions are still made by people that expect and should be looked after. Likewise the same argument could apply to the disgruntled poster who could not get his way and surely he would understand the need to look after sponsors.

:lol::lol::lol:

Decisions of this magnitude arent made over such minor things. Hell it takes 3-4 trangressions of drink driving to get TAC to even budge ..you think a spoonsor is too concerned over a "nice thing done to a kid " ??

Actually..and this is just the point some hewre would have made.. This is another OPPORTUNITY to sell sosmething..its called GOODWILL. a chance to make th esponsor feel all warnm and fuzzy! Well it is if the club had any idea of how to go about it !!

Such a chance can be WIn Win Win.. ..instead what do we have..a disappointed kid.. a less than bemused family..and a frum yet again questioning the attributes in the Business Acumen dept of our great and illustious club

Good onya MFc another goal kicked.. sorry.. the goalie calls it another rushed behind

1. No it isnt. Its central to your beef. Was it Adelaides big day of the year and would they have done the same if it was or was it good PR for a quiet weekend.

2. Maybe they were not any good.

3. Should they call you to see if you are happy each week? I cant believe with your market cred you did not do yourself and the Club of lodging a complaint which could have resulted in a better resolution for you and the Club gets some useful feedback and learning given it is known there has been high turnover of staff. Everyone winsRedleg raises some good points.

4. I just thought while you were going for a bit of self interest.....

There is no doubt there are issues the Club has to work on. But if they had have done something like sent an autographed photo of a player or something like that it would not have been an issue. You could have raised that specific matter with the Club but you didn't. Yet you use a public website to have a go. How does not anyone benefit beyond your desire to bleat.

quite possibly if the club had said.. 'sorry.. that days whatever is all tied up...but please accpet our junior supporters pack. .autographyed etc".

well thats a differnt thing. and we'd be saluting the clever efforts of our club..

strangely.....we're not !!! :huh::unsure:

:lol::lol::lol:

Decisions of this magnitude arent made over such minor things. Hell it takes 3-4 trangressions of drink driving to get TAC to even budge ..you think a spoonsor is too concerned over a "nice thing done to a kid " ??

Actually..and this is just the point some hewre would have made.. This is another OPPORTUNITY to sell sosmething..its called GOODWILL. a chance to make th esponsor feel all warnm and fuzzy! Well it is if the club had any idea of how to go about it !!

Such a chance can be WIn Win Win.. ..instead what do we have..a disappointed kid.. a less than bemused family..and a frum yet again questioning the attributes in the Business Acumen dept of our great and illustious club

Good onya MFc another goal kicked.. sorry.. the goalie calls it another rushed behind

Never said it was. But shock and horror there is an important people side to sponsor behind the $$$. Its called relationship management and its a mark of goodwill to keep the sponsor happy beyond the dollars and cents. The very issue of goodwill that you solely apply to Dreaming equally applies to the Sponsor whose kid is denied the opportunity. There is going to be one disappointed entity. I dont think DR's claim being any greater than the sponsor.

Another marketing wiz that has not got a clue!