The Sharks are Circling

drdrake

Guest Schtacker
I don't believe this theory about Melbourne supporters. I'm happy to admit I'm wrong if someone can provide figures but I can remember some pretty abysmal crowd numbers for North, Bulldogs and Hawthorn games in recent years when they haven't been travelling well. We have a much smaller fan base than Coll, Ess, Carl and Rich and therefore less diehard fans.

I think you're right - i'm sure I have seen at some point a bunch of figures comparing our average crowds in good and bad to years to other Victorian clubs - and it showed that as a fraction of those that don't rock up in the bad years we are about the same

Somebody else pointed out recently that you could even say we are amongst the loyal and sturdy of fans because we are still here after such a long period of unsuccessful seasons

Weaker clubs may have folded after 44 years including over 20 in a row missing the finals

We would have the right to dictate terms to the AFL and the MCC if our fans actually turned up. They don't.

Furious D said: "Football is a business and blaming the customer for not buying your product is counterproductive". We need to ask why supporters of other clubs continue to buy the product regardless of how they are performing.

Anyone notice at the MCG on Sunday on the big screen, it actually said "Melbourne V Western Bulldogs at Telstra Dome in Round 2." Perhaps the MCC's hidden message to the AFL?

:o Missed that one CB...unsurprisingly I had an aversion to the scoreboard that day

To the Dees fans, Firstly, please accept my apology for the schadenfreude that brought me to your website in the first place. I do not intend to gloat (not after one round of footy anyway!).

I've been reading this thread with interest and, if you'll indulge me, I'd like to throw my two bobs worth in as a Hawthorn supporter. Tough times come to all footy clubs, and mine has been no exception as you all know. I love hating the Dees and this competition would be poorer without you. My concern is that so many people at your club have this notion that 'there will always be a Melbourne'. I even read some bloke saying that in a thread on this website about how grateful Sandringham supporters should be to be aligned with Melbourne FC. There WILL always be a Melbourne, but there might not always be a 'Demons' or a team in red and blue with the Grand Old Flag as their theme song.

Pre-1996, we Hawthorn supporters thought that merger talk and bankruptcy talk was a nonsense. We'd been the most successful club of the modern professional era! How could we be broke?! Footy is more than a business and it requires unrelenting loyalty from its 'customers' that other businesses cannot command. A footy club needs you much more when your struggling than when your winning. I know I'm preaching to the converted here, and not telling you anything that you don't already know, but you blokes need more bums on seats regardless of what's happening on the park. Harrass your friends to get to the game. We did, and we still do. 10 years ago I watched the footy on my own. Now I have 11 family and friends who have reserved seats and we all sit in a row. No. matter. what.

Good luck for the rest of year, except for round 9 of course!

Welcome, V-Hawk. Always good to have sensible contributions on here from opposing supporters.

From my perspective, there are three issues facing the MFC in terms of its supporter base:

1. MCC Membership: While not as large as previously, the percentage of Melbourne supporters among MCC membership is still aoudn 33% (18,000). My figures aren't completely accurate, but around the mark.

2. Dying out: Hawk, I wonder when we look at Hawthorn crowds now how many are Hawthorn supporters because of the team's success in the 70s and 80s. Melbourne has achieved next to nothing in 44 years, and that's got to have an impact on supporter numbers. Supporting the team your dad barracked for is still big here, but so is winning.

3. Apathy: Like all clubs, we have a die-hard base of fans who will watch the Dees in Melbourne regardless of how the team is travelling. This maybe smaller than other clubs, but no less passionate or loyal. The apathy lies in the rest of the people who barrack for Melbourne. It's my experience, and this may not be everyone's, that Melbourne has the highest percentage of supporters who barrack for the team but don't really care. Melbourne is their team, and that's where the story ends - it's not life and death for them.

What you can do about these things without lighting a rocket under the supporters, I'm not sure. What I am sure of, is that winning will have a generational effect on the supporter base.

Thanks V-Hawk.. too bad about round 9 btw.. :)

In all reality we arent going to get that many runs on the board this year...but htne thats not the worst thing. what will be worse is if the club doesnt start talking itself up. The MFc needs to make itself relevent..not only to us..but to the competition and more importantly anyone looking on that might have the slightest inclination to want to jump on board.

Bums on seats wil help.. but in all honestly it will only be the difference of a few thousand here and there over the year.

What niggles me is that we ( the MFC ) are like some Silent Order of Monks !! hardly hearing a Boo out of them. Id rather that teh passion start form the top.. some sabre rattling.. some confront to the league.. if we cant win too many battles on the field..lets take some prisoners off the field.

All to often the media idiots will trapse out their tired ol words lamenting the "poor ol' Dees' .. Id really like to see someone from the club go the jugular.. call them to task.. ask their credentials.. get them to put up or SHUT-THE-F*&K-Up if they cant !! Get some blood flowing.

Everytime we are called spongers Id like to see someone official retort to the slimey sycophants. Let nothing go unanswered.

A little fire might heat up the interest in our club !!

We stand there like mutes most often...this has to stop !!

Since 1964 Every club apart from footscray and the Shockers have won a flag. Both Times we made the Big Day we were Murdered. As we all remember. After all this time our history is becoming Limp and Rusted. There are better things to do on a weekend than Be Heart Broken and [censored] off! Winners are Grinners.

Why did we not Own the Training Facility that Collingwood built. They got in under us-we were limp.

Our new CEO has to sharpen the Melbourne Teeth and fight otherwise we will not be the Melbourne Demons anymore.

We must win games to be vibrant.

The second issue in the article is the situation where The Dome is filled to capacity for games such as Essendon v Geelong. I couldn't care less. Those and other clubs have arrangements to play games at the Dome and any loss of revenue is offset by selling reserved seats and compensation from the AFL paid to Dome clients. If the public miss out then bad luck. the days of rocking up to the footy and expecting a seat are gone, unless of course you follow the MFC.

I think it's disappointing, and makes sense to attempt to schedule the bigger-drawing games at the MCG.

How you manage that while at the same time working in team's preferences regarding 'home' grounds is the fun of the fixture, ofc.

Note that I'm not suggesting the Dees should play a home game at TD, simply that I'm sympathetic to fans being locked out from seeing their team play, regardless of who they support.

Anyone notice at the MCG on Sunday on the big screen, it actually said "Melbourne V Western Bulldogs at Telstra Dome in Round 2." Perhaps the MCC's hidden message to the AFL?

I saw a message indicating we were playing at the 'G vs the WB.

Does the MCG even advertise upcoming games that are at TD?