• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Anyone going to breakfast with DB tomorrow?

TonyMelb

At Leighoak 8 am?? I am thinking I need to go & get a feel for where MFC is at.

If anyone does go, can they please ask DB to explain the horrendous game plan they revealed to the public last Saturday, and that they never EVER bring it back again.

You dont seriously expect a new coach with a new game plan and nearly half the team on restricted training program to have a well oiled and well drilled game plan at this point! :blink:

Just on the Leighoak, i see they have given it a new paint job and the big Demon facing out onto Dandenong Rd has gone, as well as the blue and red colours, which is a shame. I actually thought maybe they weren't affiliated with the club anymore, but if this breakfast is there tommorrow i guess not. It will be good to hear some feedback from it.

You dont seriously expect a new coach with a new game plan and nearly half the team on restricted training program to have a well oiled and well drilled game plan at this point! :blink:

tongue in cheek!

Just making a point that it was worse than anything seen in the Daniher era. I couldn't work out the rationale in passing the ball from the centre to the wing to half-back to wing to centre and then a turnover. Or at one stage we somehow converted a 40 metre goal opportunity to a contest on the wing and then an eventual turnover in the middle and goal to North - due to panic, nerves and pointless handballs. Just kick the freakin thing down the guts and you'll have a 50/50 chance of scoring. Jones and Moloney saw the sense in it.

Well Port Adelaide have been pretty successful with this game plan of late.

The players just need some time to adjust. It will happen.

Very enjoyable and informative, it's a pity there was only about 100 people in attendence.

Poor promotion by the club once again.

Chris Connolly started with a positive introduction, followed by a frank assessment from Dean as to how our preseason had gone, followed by questions.

The following is a summary of what i can remember:

DB stated that at the start of the preseason we had 18 players fit enough to commence training with 15 in the modified or injured group, the remaining players being drafted or recruited.

Going into the Geelong game he only wanted to play players that were 100% fit. Before the game both Frawley and Miller pulled out, leaving Zomer and Maric as the last 2 fit players left on our list capable of playing.

Dunn is one of his early favourites who he has high hopes of as either a tall marking mobile forward or as a midfielder (maybe also some run with roles).

Said the playing group sit down and they analyse each players strengths, weakness and opportunities one at a time, while the player is out of the room, then they bring the player back in and his peers then tell him how it is.

In Millers case, the players told him they like him playing with more agression, not to handball so quickly every time he marks and to learn how to kick the ball properly, all of which he has been working on in the preseason.

DB said to expect Miller to be more agressive (circa 2006), to be kicking more often, longer and better.

Messen could be used as a key tall or wingman, but thought he was still best suited as a ruckman in the longterm, once he fills out some more.

He consulted with the playing group before trade week in relation to Travis as to whether to retain him or trade him.

Out of all of the players he spoke to only one player said, if we can keep him we should try, the rest catergorically stated that we should trade him.

He said that there was something else that "clearly" was an issue with TJ, but did not elaborate.

No other Victorian club wanted him full stop.

It is pretty common knowledge to most people as to why.

He is looking forward to Newton working along side Neita up forward.

I spoke to DB afterwards who told me he was pretty dissapointed with Sylvia.

Apparently he has broken up with his girlfriend and was trying unsuccessfully to get her back on Saturday night.

Typical love struck 22 yo stuff that has got him into strife that has lead him to miss a recovery session.

I also spoke with Anthony Ingerson who told me he is working hard behind the scenes to set up a past players group to concentrate on functions for past players and their friends, as well as sponsors, but also to try and unite the factions that are at the club and steer them in the right direction for the benefit of the club.

I will post more as i remember it

Very enjoyable and informative, it's a pity there was only about 100 people in attendence.

I think you will find like myself that people have work on a thursday morning which is probobly 80% of the reason of the attendance. I suspect most that went were not employed or took a sicky.

Well Port Adelaide have been pretty successful with this game plan of late.

The players just need some time to adjust. It will happen.

The run and carry plan will only work if you have players with the evasiveness to get out of trouble, and the skill to deliver the ball under pressure. Port Adelaide have the likes of the Burgoynes, Pearce, Chad Cornes, Salopek and Boak. We have Davey.

Prior to the last draft, we kept recruiting hard bodied, in and under mids. Now we've gone to a game style that doesn't suit our list. Go figure. :(

Guest MFC4Life
Thanks mate.

Great report Haydo. Intriguing that you have managed to gather that kind of information straight from the horses mouth. DB's speil this morning in the Herald Sun about transperancy and naming and shaming players for their lack of accountabilty off the field is clearly evident in the way he obviously spoke to you this morning.

The run and carry plan will only work if you have players with the evasiveness to get out of trouble, and the skill to deliver the ball under pressure. Port Adelaide have the likes of the Burgoynes, Pearce, Chad Cornes, Salopek and Boak. We have Davey.

Prior to the last draft, we kept recruiting hard bodied, in and under mids. Now we've gone to a game style that doesn't suit our list. Go figure. :(

Following on from the breakfast and relevant to your thoughts above

DB describes game plan as "speed of ball" as opposed to "speed of legs"...cited Geelong as an example.

DB admits handball got overused in the practice matches and not the game plan going forward.

DB thinks the biggest challenge to any AFL coach and team is to move the ball quickly through "the bermuda triangle" - central corridor

DB describes game plan as "speed of ball" as opposed to "speed of legs"...cited Geelong as an example.

DB admits handball got overused in the practice matches and not the game plan going forward.

DB thinks the biggest challenge to any AFL coach and team is to move the ball quickly through "the bermuda triangle" - central corridor

I totally agree with what DB says about "speed of legs", but your ability to successfully implement a "speed of ball" game plan is dependent on the amount of pressure the opposition applies. Hence, you need players who are evasive enough to get out of trouble when pressure is applied. As seen in the Grand Final, it can go horribly wrong, because if you turn the ball over, your teammates are caught out of position.

I totally agree with what DB says about "speed of legs", but your ability to successfully implement a "speed of ball" game plan is dependent on the amount of pressure the opposition applies. Hence, you need players who are evasive enough to get out of trouble when pressure is applied. As seen in the Grand Final, it can go horribly wrong, because if you turn the ball over, your teammates are caught out of position.

What's the fastest way to move a ball?

Better still, kick it to Davey or Buckley.

Great idea!

The function was I have assessed a past players function primarily (or initially) given the host was Ted and greats such as John Lord were there. Anthony Inga was previously going to do more with past players before moved back to SA but has since moved back here. Also Anthony Macca was there and he also was getting involved in past players.

I agree that posters need to be conscious not to give too much detail of what the coach etc say at such functions as are meant to be candid to MFC members groups.

What was important was that CC and DB are under no illusions as to what needs to be done and they have a focus and plan of where they want to get the club to go both on and off the field. Very encouraging in regard to hard line on not playing players unless fit - to both play and train. Will hold players such as Rivers Whelan and Batram back a couple of rounds rather than rush back. DB emphasised that injuries in January and February are the worst.

I was also impressed with DB personally & talked to him a bit also. He strikes me as down to earth and straight talker. He will be good for our players & I think will be a good coach. A couple of similarities with swooper Northey! He and CC will give it a good crack! (plus CEO in 2 -3 weeks)

Altho' there were a number of Demonlanders there no way of knowing who we were. Do we need to develop a secret handshake or perhaps get a Demonland or "ology" pin or button for such occassions. This would be great as would assist in catching up with other posters. Also being able to support other supporter groups such as past players at such low cost functions is really good way of building and enjoying the wider Demon network!! This is one of the perennial "to do" jobs at the MFC!