MELON22'S DRAFT TOP 22

Whispering_Jack

Demonlander Melon 22 has once again studying the pool of draft prospects throughout 2007. He's been to some of the National Under 18 Championships, watched countless TAC Cup games and viewed games from interstate to bring you -

THE DRAFT TOP 22 by Melon 22

Firstly, I want to clarify that this is not a phantom or mock draft and I take no consideration for what club has which pick. Rather, it is my attempt to rank the players of this year. And it's virtually all based on what I've seen and not hearsay. For that reason, because I was unable to watch any Tasmanian or Northern Territory games this year due to poor timing and work, I have left out their players but, based on second hand reports which may or may not be reliable, I’ve named a few of the more prominent prospects at equal 22. I am after all – Melon 22!

1. Matthew KREUZER - Northern Knights 13/5/89 199.5cm 94kg - Ruck

The much hyped Kreuzer is the clear best tall prospect in the 2007 draft. While his tap work and general ruck technique are good, it is work around the ground that puts him into top pick category. His second efforts and ability to recover from the contest are fantastic, you often see him roving his own ruck work or being the first to the ball in the stoppages when the ball hits the ground. His speed and endurance means that he will be able to become a genuine running midfielder after the stoppages clear. To complete the overall package Kreuzer is also more than capable KPP at both ends of the ground and will be a handful when he rests in the forward line. Even though he will be more than capable as a KPP, an AFL team would get the best out of him in the midfield where his endurance and skills will expose a lot of his opponents.

Even though I think Cotchin is the most talented player in this year’s draft, it’s hard to go past Kreuzer for the top spot. Ruckmen are the hardest players to for recruiters to judge so when an almost sure thing for a future #1 ruckman such as Kreuzer comes along you have to snap him up.

2. Trent COTCHIN - Northern Knights 7/4/90 185.1cm 79.5kg - Mid/HFF

Even though Cotchin had a subdued U/18 Carnival, his TAC Cup form was sensational and pushed his claims as one of the top prospects of this draft. His ability to hit targets over 50m with either foot is sensational and he probably has the best disposal of anyone in the draft. He has very clean hands below his knees and above his head and is more than capable of taking a contested mark. Cotchin’s most exciting attribute is his burst of speed and his nifty footwork where he is able to dance around his opponents and make them look like they are standing still, Cotchin is a player who is easy to get excited about and he won’t last long come draft day. The major knock on his game is that he isn’t able to break a hard tag, he was exposed against WA where McGinnity ended up with more disposals than him and he was largely disappointing.

Cotchin is the player I am most excited about playing in the AFL, he has the most talent and class of anyone in this year’s draft. I enjoy watching him at the footy and the dream I had of him playing for the Red & Blue has probably been dashed courtesy of a certain club who managed to lose gallantly their last 11 games. I have him at 2 and I don’t think he will last past 3 at most.

3. Chris MASTEN - East Fremantle 2/5/89 179.6cm 77.3kg - Mid

A high profile ultra consistent midfielder who has been outstanding at every level he has played in his career. While some people have been critical of his kicking, it's not as bad as some report. He is not a long kick but he is more than capable of spearing passes accurately to his team mates. He has the speed, agility and endurance to be a very good AFL player and his ability to read the play enables him to always rack up the possessions. But I think his best attribute is his clean hands, in the packs he rarely fumbles and his distribution by hand in traffic is first class. While Masten perhaps doesn't have the upside of some other players in the draft, the club that drafts him will know they will be getting a solid contributor to their midfield right away.

The safest pick of this year's draft, some players taken after may end up better than Masten. But if you don't want to waste an early pick that it's hard to go past his consistency and class.

4. Cale MORTON – Claremont 18/1/90 191.5cm 78.7kg - Utility

An absolutely brilliant u18 Carnival pushed Morton’s claims for top selection at this year's draft, his form was more subdued for his Colts side but a very Impressive Draft Camp has shored up of his draft stock. To describe Cale as an outside receiver just doesn't do him justice, he is unique in the fact that he could play in just about any position effectively at AFL level. His kicking off his right foot is sublime, any player that can hit a target over 50m with such is ease special, he is a good mark on the lead and has some very clean hands below his knees and his endurance was among the very best at Draft Camp.

His game style is well suited to the high running of modern day footy and he will inject an immediate dose of class and run of whichever team he joins.

5. Jarrad GRANT - Dandenong Stingrays 6/7/89 192.4cm 76.7kg - HFF/FF

An explosive forward who has spent most of the year playing school footy, but when he did play some TAC Cup games he was a real force for Dandenong in the forward line kicking 27 goals from 8 matches. He recorded a 2.89s 20m time which is extremely fast and has the kind of explosive pace off the mark that is highly desirable at AFL level for KPPs. He has clean hands overhead and has the leap to play taller than he actually is, he has played forward the whole year but with his athletic ability he should have the capability to play at both ends of the park in the future.

Grant has the speed, size and football skills which could make him possibly the best player in this draft. The upside of Grant could be huge for the club that takes the risk, but there is a risk. He is nowhere near the finished product yet.

6. Brad EBERT - Port Adelaide 2/4/90 188.2cm 85.4kg – Mid/FP

Solid midfielder, who already as a 17 year old has good body shape and size for AFL football. Has stepped up to senior SANFL side for Port Adelaide and averaged around 20 possessions in 7 games; it shows that he is ready to make the step up to the next Level. Natural footballer would be best to describe Ebert, good mark, kick and athleticism without being the outstanding at a certain area. Has very clean hands below his knees and overhead and is more than a handful when he plays as a small forward. His leadership attributes were self evident at the u18 champs where he was being heavily tagged and yet still managed to get clearances and have an impact on the game in a demolition job by WA on a very lacklustre SA side.

While not as spectacular as some other players, Ebert has quality to become a really good AFL player who could contribute straight away as a 17 year old.

7. Alex RANCE Swan Districts 9/10/89 192.3cm 87.6kg - FB

All Australian Key defender in the all conquering WA side, not only beat his direct opponents at the champs but managed to provide a lot of drive out of defence. His disposal, while not pretty at times is more than adequate for a full back and he is quite capable of spearing the odd pass or two down his team mates throat. Because of his attacking nature, he always seems to be in a hurry to get things moving and can be prone to the odd turn over. What I like about Rance the most on my limited viewing is the fact that he has great intensity and hunger at the contest, he seems to just get a fist or do enough to make sure he has an impact on the contest which is important attribute for a full back.

Quality Key defenders are hard to come by for AFL clubs and Rance is the best natural key defender in the draft.

8. Lachlan HENDERSON - Geelong Falcons 14/12/89 195.5cm 91.5kg - FF/CHF

Was a candidate for the top draft pick at the start of a year, but a leg injury in the first weeks of the season put him out for most of the year and he could only manage 5 TAC Cup games on top of his school football for the year. His speed and agility is good for someone of his size and he uses his speed to present well on the lead. He is a good mark and he knows how to use his body in the contested situations, he is also a decent kick but you wouldn’t be expecting him to make the distance from outside 50. The overall package is okay without Henderson, but I just don’t think there is that special something about him. He gives the impression that he lacks a bit of intensity at times on the field as well. He is a very difficult player to judge for me because he missed most of the champs and he played school footy over the last 2 years.

Probably the most difficult player to predict where he will go on draft day, but someone who moves as well as he does and can take a contested mark shouldn’t last too long.

9. David MYERS – Perth 30/06/89 190.7cm 86.2kg - HBF

Classy half back who possesses an exquisite left foot which he uses to great effect coming off half back. Myers is completely one sided and will rarely attempt a right foot kick and will always try and get back on his left. More of a creative defender than a lock down defender, he was at his most impressive at the Champs when he was streaming off half back and delivering onto his forwards chests. He does have the attributes to play in the midfield and forward, but I feel that you would make the most of his decision making and skills coming off the half back line.

A quality player whose skills and leadership skills should see him go early on draft day.

10. Ben MCEVOY - Murray Bushrangers 11/7/89 200.2cm 94.6kg - Ruck/KPP

It will be one of intriguing stories of this year's draft where McEvoy will be drafted. As a KPP he lacks the speed and acceleration of a top KPP prospect and he didn't get the chance to show much of his ruck skills and endurance as he played most of the year forward for both Murray and Vic Country. Very strong overhead but being about at least 5cm taller than most of your opponents it is expected that McEvoy was dominant mark at u18 level, good kick for someone of his size and has fairly good decision making with the ball in hand. McEvoy will probably better off being drafted as a ruck first, a KPP second. As a ruckman his weaknesses are somewhat covered up and his fantastic endurance can be maximized by playing in the middle.

I had him ranked higher earlier in the year, but after watching him a bit more it was harder see what his position at AFL level was going to be. As a ruckman I just couldn't have him any higher than this.

11. Rhys PALMER - East Fremantle 13/2/89 181.4cm 79.8kg - Mid

His sensational U18 Carnival put his name in the spotlight and made the recruiters take notice, his form for East Fremantle in the WAFL since the carnival has cemented his spot as one of the best midfielders in the Draft. A real gut runner whose running ability enables him to get to as many contests as possible, which enables him to rack up the possessions. Plays with a real enthusiastic spirit and while he lacks a bit in his disposal he certainly has a knack for kicking goals, after his U18 Champs goal kicking exploits he managed to snare 5 in a Senior WAFL game for East Fremantle. His disposal is a bit of a concern; his kick lacks the accuracy and penetration of a top midfield prospect.

A lot of buzz surrounded Palmer after the Championships, and deservedly so, It was an outstanding three games. But for an outside midfielder he needs to have better disposal for me to have him higher.

12. David GOURDIS - Subiaco 14/3/89 192.4cm 88.9kg - KPP

The star of draft camp, easily finishing at the top of the important 20m sprint time with a super quick 2.83s and finishing top of the Vertical jump test at 81cm. These results may have pushed Gourdis from a late first/ second round pick to a top 10 prospect. Played forward for WA during the u18 champs and was all right without being a stand out for them. He doesn’t have the presence on the field yet of a classic CHF, he seems to lack a little footy nous and is still learning the game. His kicking action is unusual but is somehow affective with enough power and accuracy for a KPP at this stage of his career.

Will take some time to develop but with his speed and size I could see him going higher in the draft, I am just a little concerned that he is not quite the full KPP package and he plays more like a flanker at the moment.

13. Jack GRIMES - Northern Knights 11/5/89 186.3cm 81.6kg - Mid

An inside midfielder who captained Vic Metro this year, was also one of the better performers against WA in the game that cost Metro the title. His kicking can be somewhat erratic but good enough for his position and while not overly athletic Grimes has the pace, endurance and agility to get by in the midfield for an AFL team. For his height he probably isn't as strong overhead as he should be, but as an inside midfielder he isn't exposed too often on this. But the reason that someone of Grimes' ability is considered a top 10 by some people is his determination, work ethic, courage and leadership skills that are among the best of this draft. What I like a about him most is the fact that he runs up and down centre of the ground where he is always available for a chop out for his defenders when he pushes back or up the other end of the ground where he pushes forward and becomes a real goal kicker from midfield.

The kind of player that coaches love, hard working and determined, this as well as his ball winning ability may be enough to get him drafted in the first round but could slip further down the draft.

14. Tatye PEARS - East Perth 24/3/90 190.1cm 91.8kg – HBF

Another of the dominant WA side that should go early in this draft, Pears has great composure in defence and is showed he was quick as well by running a 2.92s 20m time at draft camp. Played as Key Position player in U18 level but is a little too small to play on the bigger KPP’s of the AFL. Decent overhead and kick is fairly good.

Solid and neat defender who should a touch of class and speed to any defence.

15. Tony NOTTE - Swan Districts 15/4/90 194.5cm 71.5kg – FF/CHF

Skinny, and the second coming of Westhoff is first thing think of when you see Notte, but it often prudent not to judge a book by its cover and Notte is a quality prospect. He has fantastic hands and he knows how to position his body in the marking contest to make him quite a handful for defenders. He is still growing and will need time to get bigger, but he will never be a huge KPP and maybe one of these guys that never puts on much weight. Notte possesses plenty of footy smarts to compensate for the lack of weight and while his kicking wasn’t best at the championships he is more than adequate to a key forward prospect.

Definitely a long term prospect, but he has all the trademarks of a quality KPP, a club will just have to have a lot of patience with him.

16. Scott SELWOOD - Bendigo Pioneers 27/3/90 185.1cm 80.3kg - Mid

The Selwood name will now join the Danihers in the football history pages with the Scott set to join his three brothers and land himself onto an AFL list. His physique is more like the twins than Joel, and he is probably the best athlete out of all them. Has very good speed and impressed at draft camp by recording a top 10 results in the agility test and the shuttle run. Has very clean hands and his kicking is reasonable accurate but he lacks penetration and is definitely not his best attribute. Even though Scott finds plenty of his own ball he will probably go down the path of his older brothers in Troy & Adam in playing a tagger/half back at AFL level to start with at AFL level, but he probably has more scope for improvement than the twins.

Not just living off the Selwood name, Scott’s impressive development with his football winning ability this year should see him get drafted fairly early.

17. Patrick DANGERFIELD - Geelong Falcons 5/4/90 186.9cm 82.8kg - HBF

Bottom aged defender who impressed more as the season went on and had his best games of the year in the 2 TAC Cup Finals matches for Geelong, and with a very good draft camp he has pushed his draft stock even higher. He has shown a great ability to run and carry™, he uses his pace to set up attacks from defence fairly well and will back himself in to get past players. He has a good kick, but it is not as accurate as he needs it to thrive at AFL level. His decision making also needs to be improved but he is still young and learning the game and there is scope for improvement.

Will take some patience from a club as he is not quite the finished product yet, he needs to spend some more time polishing off his skills but there is enough there to like to draft him early.

18. Chris KANGARS - Geelong Falcons 1/8/89 193.1cm 84.9kg - FB

Developing full back who improved his draft stocks with his impressive Draft Camp where he topped the repeat sprints and impressed in both the endurance tests. An athlete before a footballer at the moment, the fact that he has had more handballs than kicks in the TAC cup this year is testament that he is not quite comfortable with his footy skills yet. He lacks footy smarts and this is exposed when he plays as a key defender when he fails to anticipate when and where the ball is coming in and his opponent manages to get the step on him. This can be improved, but it will take some time to get Kangars up to scratch in smarts and skill to play AFL level.

He has what AFL clubs love, speed and size, these two attributes will see him go up the draft order.

19. Sam REID - Zilmere 7/11/89 187.6cm 79.1kg - Wing

Quick and energetic midfielder who uses his very quick feet to navigate through traffic at pace, a player who always seems to be playing at a high tempo. He is not afraid to go and get his own ball in the packs and is fairly tough for a skinny winger. While he can be a very good kick, sometimes I feel Reid is just too much in a hurry to get rid of ball and his kicks can sometimes be hurried and miss their targets when under pressure.

I like his energy and he should add some pace to which ever club that picks him up, but his disposal and lack of form during the champs might see slip down the order.

20. Callan WARD - Western Jets 10/4/90 183cm 71kg - BP/HBF/MID

One of more interesting prospects of the draft has shown great improvement over the year and did enough to get him into the Vic metro side. Has very clean hands below his knees and is more than adequate above his head, he has above average disposal where he rarely misses a target. Not the most agile player and seems to lack a bit of speed, but I defiantly see him in a Tagger/Half back role in the AFL at the start of his career and depending on his improvement he might end up a quality midfielder.

He has come a long way this year, but I still see this as a bit of a risky pick because you would be banking on Ward to continue his dramatic improvement to make it at AFL.

21. Addam MARIC - Calder Canons 18/4/90 177.9cm 76.8kg - FP

A bottom aged small forward who possesses a great kick and a real knack for scoring goals. He kicked 5 goals from full forward as a 16 year old in a losing 2006 TAC Cup grand final side for the Calder Cannons. He does have a habit of doing something magical but he will have to change his game if he wants to succeed at AFL level, he relies too much on his strength in the marking contest and will have to learn to be an opportunist rather than a marking target.

One of the most naturally talented players of this year's draft, his ability for something special and his elite kick should see him be one of the first forward pockets taken this year.

22. Tom BELLCHAMBERS and Tom COLLIER from Tasmania and Cyril RIOLI and Marlon MOTLOP, have all been mentioned in despatches as players with a chance to go early so I’ll sneak them into this position although I did not see them play this year.

well done melon.

Cale Morton will be an absolute ripper at pick 4. i think he could deservedly go pick 1 this year, and at pick 4 could turn out to be the best pick in the best.

at pick 14, i'm very confident we'll pick up a ripper KPP. One of Henderson, Mcevoy, Myers, Rance, Gourdis, Grant or Pears are certain to be still available at pick14, so we should be adding a quality young tall to add to Rivers, Frawley, Bate, Newton and Garland.

At pick 21 there should be plenty of quality still available.

If we're going for a raw, athletic freak who could turn out to be a gun KPP, then Gaertner or Kangers could be the go.

Rioli (unlikly to be stil around), or Maric would perfectly fit our need for a small forward.

Another midfielder like Selwood, Ward, Greenwood or Vespremi would also be great to add to our midfield brigade or Mclean, Sylvia, Jones, Moloney, Bartram and Dunn

Or maybe a ruckman like Bellchambers could be our pick.

either way, on saturday we're sure to add 3 quality youngsters

Well done again Melon. If you would have dropped Grimes back one selection you would have made the trifecta. Now what happened to Gourdis and Kangars?

Surely, they'll be taken in the PSD or rookie drafts?

Gourdis and Kangars are both athletes over footballers at the moment, Gourdis looked okay in the champs but so did everyone in a brilliant WA side and i didn't see him at WAFL level and his draft camp results weren't enough for him to get drafted. Kangars was one I was unsure about on very limited viewings, it just takes one club to like him enough and no one did. But I think both will be rookied at the least,a long with some others that missed out, Will Sullivan, Tom Bellchambers and James Mulligan are three ruckman that all missed out on being drafted and would have to be in consideration for rookie spots.

Gourdis and Kangars are both athletes over footballers at the moment, Gourdis looked okay in the champs but so did everyone in a brilliant WA side and i didn't see him at WAFL level and his draft camp results weren't enough for him to get drafted. Kangars was one I was unsure about on very limited viewings, it just takes one club to like him enough and no one did. But I think both will be rookied at the least,a long with some others that missed out, Will Sullivan, Tom Bellchambers and James Mulligan are three ruckman that all missed out on being drafted and would have to be in consideration for rookie spots.

I have to take issue with you over Gourdis. He gets invited to the draft camp and he stars in the 20 metre sprint and the verticle jump but is still not selected. There surely has to be another reason?

Kangars has a question mark over his kicking and I see from the profiles of the players we drafted, they all seem to have above average skills in this area. In today's football, it doesn't matter how superathletic you are, if you turn the ball over then you're a liability.

There is also other tests at the draft camp, we don't know much about his endurance tests and probably the most important test is the interview, if the head coaches don't like what they see his chances go down. There is something with him, we all just don't know yet.