Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

TRADES - the older players

sylvinator

I am so sick of hearing that - people have players they lament losing and always will. Especially for when many of us had Woey as our favourite player, its something a lot of people will never get over. Not all of us view footy as a business transaction and I think better for us

We all have our favourite players.

I can tell you right now that if Robbo was ever traded to another club I would be absolutely shattered, but I wouldn't go on and on and on about it for 4 years, and if it helped the club in the long term, then I'd be happy.

I'd look at the trade from a club perspective, I'd look at what we got out of the trade, and I wouldn't be selfish enough to only care about my own feelings.

I barrack for the Melbourne Football Club, and that means I barrack for anyone who plays and works for that organisation.

But the reality is, players and staff come and go, but the club still remains. I will love and support this club always, no matter who wears the jumper or who coaches the side. There isn't a single individual player who I could love more than I love the club itself.

We've been around for 150 years, and have had thousands of players take the field, and none of them have ever been greater than the club itself. Some may have come close, but we survived when they left and we'll continue to do so.

P.S.- Bring back Scott Thompson! ;)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, woey again.

all i can say is that when he was at collingwood i sat with pies fans on quite a few occassions, and the amount of frustration he caused them at least made me smile.

loved him, but we got the best service out of him and then ended up with a player who is showing promise years after the deal and also showing that he will offer far more in the future.

the fact he won a brownlow should not enter into the dicussion because he won it whilst we had him, traded him afterwards and then he did little. it was a clever move, though one which was undoubtedly upsetting to many people.

Trade the younger players not the older ones they have better trade value if this is the path we have to go down, I would say a lot will retire though to save us the business of delisting them. Oh and I will never prob get over the Woey thing, I try not to go on bout it but I do still admire him and I still have the newspapers from his Brownlow medal win (wonder if they are worth anything haha)

Trade the younger players not the older ones they have better trade value if this is the path we have to go down, I would say a lot will retire though to save us the business of delisting them

Yes, lets trade the youth, the players who could potentially win us a premiership in a few years time, just to save us the heartbreak of seeing some under-performing senior players running around at another club.

We won't win premierships, we won't have any success, and in a few season we won't have a team to field either, but as long as everyone is happy :rolleyes:

Do you actually understand WHY they have better trade value.... I'll give you a hint, it's because they have more potential, more room for improvement and are more likely to help teams win games in the future.

ARGH! *goes to bash head against a wall*

Trade the younger players not the older ones they have better trade value if this is the path we have to go down, I would say a lot will retire though to save us the business of delisting them. Oh and I will never prob get over the Woey thing, I try not to go on bout it but I do still admire him and I still have the newspapers from his Brownlow medal win (wonder if they are worth anything haha)

Trade the youngers players... our future :huh:

Thats probably the most stupid thing we can do

people who dont reckon bruce will fetch a first rounder have no idea about the trade period. consistently players of that calibre are top 10 picks atleast.

\P.Johnson (underperforming 10 gamer from WCE) was pick 20...u think we cant get higher than wat PJ went for? some people just dont think before they post

yeh i agree. Occo has no idea what he is on about. We got a 1st rounder for Jolly I think? hehe. Laughable. Bruce and Johnstone would be worth alot to those clubs that are having a crack at a premiership in the next couple of years.

Yes, lets trade the youth, the players who could potentially win us a premiership in a few years time, just to save us the heartbreak of seeing some under-performing senior players running around at another club.

We won't win premierships, we won't have any success, and in a few season we won't have a team to field either, but as long as everyone is happy :rolleyes:

Do you actually understand WHY they have better trade value.... I'll give you a hint, it's because they have more potential, more room for improvement and are more likely to help teams win games in the future.

ARGH! *goes to bash head against a wall*

YES I UNDERSTAND THATS WHY I SAID IT DER, god everyone craps on about premierships well the only way to get better players is to trade some youngsters with potential. How many clubs want older players and they dont want to pay much for them either so it makes no sense to me. Someone like ferguson or bartram would fetch something a lot higher than Bruce.

Hi, just wanted to remind you that Woey is 30 and plays in the WAFL.

Can we get over Woey and move on...

Christ, are we still going to be talking about his departure in 4 years time?! :rolleyes:

It's all this lack of success that's had us holding onto the careers of extremely average footballers even long after they're gone.

We made the right decision, if you can't see that, you're clearly in favour of an individual and not our football club.

I think it was a bad decision. And you cant say we benefited from losing a Brownlow Medalist out of your Midfield when we are clearly lacking leadership in that area. Thats why they got Moloney to try put some tough grit back in our midfield which we lost when woewodin was traded. They are trying to get back what they got rid of. It should have been TJ traded not Woey. Our next best move is to trade TJ for a more consistent midfielder. I think hes had enough time to prove himself don't you think.

YES I UNDERSTAND THATS WHY I SAID IT DER, god everyone craps on about premierships well the only way to get better players is to trade some youngsters with potential. How many clubs want older players and they dont want to pay much for them either so it makes no sense to me. Someone like ferguson or bartram would fetch something a lot higher than Bruce.

Ok firstly Ferguson is not a youngster. Do you actually know how old Ferguson is?

And Bartram would fetch more than Bruce? What are you on about? I thought Bruce was Melbourne's best player :rolleyes:

Name one youngster who has shown a lot of potential who has been traded in the last few years?

The only ones I can think of have left to go home (e.g.- Scott Thompson). Clubs don't trade their potential youngsters, they trade older more senior players who they don't think fit their plans. They normally strike deals with clubs who believe they are on the cusp of winning a flag, who are therefore willing to trade draft picks in order to gain the short-term services of players they think will complete their team (e.g.- Byron Pickett, Nick Davis).

What could we possibly achieve by trading Clint Bartram? We'd get a second round pick at best, and have to invest time and money into his development in the same way we did with Bartram.

The idea is that by trading older players, you get to bring in players who complement your current under 23's who can grow and develop together into a formidable side.

If you don't understand that, then I seriously give up.

Trade the Youth!!!! What mediconal drugs are you on. I want to win Flags not friends. Melbourne must become Ruthless NOW

Ok firstly Ferguson is not a youngster. Do you actually know how old Ferguson is?

And Bartram would fetch more than Bruce? What are you on about? I thought Bruce was Melbourne's best player :rolleyes:

Name one youngster who has shown a lot of potential who has been traded in the last few years?

The only ones I can think of have left to go home (e.g.- Scott Thompson). Clubs don't trade their potential youngsters, they trade older more senior players who they don't think fit their plans. They normally strike deals with clubs who believe they are on the cusp of winning a flag, who are therefore willing to trade draft picks in order to gain the short-term services of players they think will complete their team (e.g.- Byron Pickett, Nick Davis).

What could we possibly achieve by trading Clint Bartram? We'd get a second round pick at best, and have to invest time and money into his development in the same way we did with Bartram.

The idea is that by trading older players, you get to bring in players who complement your current under 23's who can grow and develop together into a formidable side.

If you don't understand that, then I seriously give up.

Ferguson is younger than say Bruce & Green and I stand by that Bruce is our best player.

Older players tend to not do as well as they did at their first clubs which I think is being recognised now, love Byron but he hasnt really set the world on fire with us and Nick Davis has done f-all at Sydney.

Obviously if we have to have this so called clean out then some young players will have to go for better young players and some older players might have to go to.

I know that I will always be a typical female football supporter to you and thats fine I dont care talk down to me all you want

yeh i agree. Occo has no idea what he is on about. We got a 1st rounder for Jolly I think? hehe. Laughable. Bruce and Johnstone would be worth alot to those clubs that are having a crack at a premiership in the next couple of years.

Well we will see wont we. U can laugh all u want once the trade period ends and we know for sure. But dont think i wont use this against you if they dont go for a round 1 pick.

i agree jaded. the reason bruce and green could be traded is bc they are not core important players and are 27 years old. they could be very useful for a team going for a premiership next year, but dont necessarily fit our plans. we can build a team of formidable youngsters growing together so that theyll be great in 2-3 years.

our drafting last 4 years has been terrific so if we continue like that for 2-3 more years of drafting with high picks we will grow a premiership contending side.

i rekon one of the reasons we havnt come through and been premiership contenders this year and last year is bc of our [censored] house drafting from 2000-2002 when we wasted picks on kpp who never made it. If we get some high draft picks and use them wisely, we have the youngsters to push for a flag together in the next 2-3 years

Ferguson is younger than say Bruce & Green and I stand by that Bruce is our best player.

Older players tend to not do as well as they did at their first clubs which I think is being recognised now, love Byron but he hasnt really set the world on fire with us and Nick Davis has done f-all at Sydney.

Obviously if we have to have this so called clean out then some young players will have to go for better young players and some older players might have to go to.

I know that I will always be a typical female football supporter to you and thats fine I dont care talk down to me all you want

Ferguson is 27 this year. We would get nothing for him. He is an excellent VFL defender who has never bulked up and never will be AFL standard.

I honestly would trade Bruce or Green but not TJ. After watching him on Friday if only a new coach could get the best out of him, it would be a huge boost to our midfield.

Trading young players is silly. Which young players would you trade exactly and why?

The funny thing is I think this comment was serious.

Ferguson is 27 this year. We would get nothing for him. He is an excellent VFL defender who has never bulked up and never will be AFL standard.

I honestly would trade Bruce or Green but not TJ. After watching him on Friday if only a new coach could get the best out of him, it would be a huge boost to our midfield.

Trading young players is silly. Which young players would you trade exactly and why?

How would a new coach get the best out of him? After ten years you'd think he would be at his peak?

If we trade any of Dunn, bate, Jones, McLean, Sylvia, Warnock, Bartram I will not follow melbourne any more. that is how pashionate i am to keep these players. They are awsome and will drive melbourne in the future

Agree with all of those... but on Warnock I'm not sure he'll be retained. He probably will since we don't have KP defenders coming out of the woodwork... But he's certainly not SAFE.

He averaged around twenty possessions a game while at collingwood, not too bad considering you think he didn't perform.

Woewodin was always on the bottom of the packs getting the hardball, Travis Johnstone is a cream puff compared too shane.

When Travis's career is over he will be remembered as the Number One draft pick that showed glimpses of being a champion footballer. He has good skills i'll give him that. You want midfielders that can get a hardball and consistently get twenty too thirty poss a game, Consistency something Travis is lacking. You cant have key midfielders up and down everyweek. When you play against players like Judd,Kerr, West ,Hodge etc you gotta be firing on all cylinders cause thats where the games are won in the midfield.

If he was such a good player then why did Collignwood delist him and no other club pick him up for nothing in the psd?

You say that TJ doesn't go for the hard ball, well by the end of his career, Woewodin's reputation was worse than TJ's.

well said

considering bruce is our best player .... id think we would get better than a third rounder

You should be called Stevie Wonder, bruce is crap & is only ok as a run with player on your hirds & buckleys, you know the older ones.

We have two players that would get top 10 pick at the trade table, Mclean and TJ, Bruce would get 10-20 pick along with maybe Robbo. I sure Bruce signed a new contract with the club this year and no club would pay him what we have offered so we would be stuck paying some of his wage.

I can't see us being to active in trade period, maybe getting rid of players for 3-4 round picks or if Judd wanted to come home.

Bizz, Brown will retire Pickett will not be offered a contact, one of Holland, Ferguson and Warnock will be delisted if not two and one of CJ, Buckley or Neville will not be at the MFC next year. A tough call on Jamar will need to be made and if we promote Neaves. Thats 6 changes to our list which I think is around what they need to aim for. 5 draft picks and a rookie promotion.

Just one question on Bizzell.

A lot of people talk about how old he is and because of this, he should retire at the end of the year.

My question is, have his performances this year been a affected by how old he is? That is, is he showing any signs of an aging player?

No I think he has been good last couple of weeks

So...which on the players around 30 years old will be kept on, and which will be forced to retire?

I assume up to 3 players of this group will be forced to retire at years end but it would be silly to suggest 8 should be delisted, because this is completely unrealistic. 3 to 4 at most will be gone.

I imagine at least five players will be gone next year, possible one or two more.

Of the players you mentioned I would delist Brown, Pickett, and Holland.

PS. Interesting you choose to use the word 'retired' rather than delisted. I tend to view retirements as voluntary and delistings akin to a sacking. I can't see too many of those players you listed actively choosing to quit AFL footy just yet.