Pavlich/Judd/Riewoldt

All 3 of these players are uncontracted, and are not signing contracts until the end of the year. Not for one second am I saying that they will leave there clubs. HOWEVER hypethetically at the end of the year if all 3 were up for trade, who would we target. Personally, I would want Riewoldt. Firstly, even though we could always find room for Judd, i dont think are midfield is going to be our weakness in years to come(Mclean Sylvia Bate Jones Bartram Picky Rettard Mclean with Bruce Green Johnstone). However centre half forward is a massive whole in our team. I would take Riewoldt over Pav only because he is younger, I think he really bleeds for his club, and has a massive work ethic, as well as great leadership qualities.

Thoughts?

DD

I would have Pavlich, along with Jonathon Brown, as one of the two best players in the competition. However, I can't see any situation where Melbourne would be a realistic destination for him. He comes from South Australia and particularly the crows would move heaven and earth to get him. Also, Fremantle are probably (and it hurts to say this) closer to a flag than Melbourne are at the moment.

Riewoldt is only a possibility if he moves for money or has a falling out within St Kilda. Judd seems the best bet as by the end of this year he will probably have been a dual premiership captain and brownlow winner with West Coast. Chance to challenge himself at home with the club he supported as a boy and may feel he has given enough to the eagles.

Melbourne will probably finish 14th this year as Carlton and Richmond are a rabble and every team above them is likely to win at least 7 and a half to 8 games. That means pick 4 (Carlton 1 and 3 because they probably won't win 5 games). Judd would cost at least that and probably one of Melbourne's better young kids or someone like Aaron Davey (don't think WCE have a really good small forward). If that sort of trade was done I don't have much doubt that Judd would be the next MFC captain.

Cant remember where exactly..butr recently mentioned in pres that Pavlich is ( or offerd ) extending contract. Thats him off list.

Reiwoldt..on recnt and current form.. I really dont understand al the hype...he's good...not brilliant... a tad overated for whatever price he'd command.

Judd..only real prospect in this bunch. Would make a valubale and interesting pick up ( understated somewhat!! lol )..

likelyhood ? we are in the line with all the others!!

If it happens ...fantastic.. certainly wouldnt pin any hopes here though.

Cant remember where exactly..butr recently mentioned in pres that Pavlich is ( or offerd ) extending contract. Thats him off list.

Reiwoldt..on recnt and current form.. I really dont understand al the hype...he's good...not brilliant... a tad overated for whatever price he'd command.

Judd..only real prospect in this bunch. Would make a valubale and interesting pick up ( understated somewhat!! lol )..

likelyhood ? we are in the line with all the others!!

If it happens ...fantastic.. certainly wouldnt pin any hopes here though.

My understanding (certainly from reading the paper today) is that all are out of contract at the end of the year and will not re-sign until the end of the year. There are whispers (and that is all they are - not even strong enough to be rumours) that both Judd and Pavlich are disgruntled with the culture at their respective clubs... go figure! Anyway time will tell.

My personal feeling is that Chris Judd would add more to the club than either of the other two (both of whom I rate highly). I just think with Judd, as well as obviously being a fantastic player and leader on the field, would add that much more in terms of increased sponsorship/marketing with the club as well as membership.

Anyway here's some interesting stats in relation to Judd and Pavlich and their relative worth.

Chris Judd. ranked first for total possessions in 2007, first in clearances 2007 (1st 2006, 3rd 2005), second in contested possessions 2007 (1st in 2006 & 2005), second in first possessions 2007 (2nd 2006 & 4th 2005) and first for inside fifties in 2007.

Matthew Pavlich. ranked for fourth for goals in 2007 (4th in 2006), fifth for total marks in 2007 (3rd in 2006 & 2005) , fourth for contested marks in 2007 (2nd 2006 & 3rd 2005)

pretty sure pav wants to go back to SA next year ,which means port or cows

I'd heard he was interested in coming further East, my first choice though would still be Judd.

Honestly I'd rather Pav or Riewoldt over Judd, Judd is better than Riewoldt and equal with Pav IMO but we need a key forward more than another midfielder, even if it is Judd.

Sorry love to See Pav 1. Judd 2 Riewoldt 3

Judd by a country mile. Midfields win games forwards finish them off. Pavlich and Riewoldt are very good players but Judd is a class above everyone. He has dominated more games and won every award possible. Pavlich and Riewoldt are there to kick goals and they both especially Riewoldt are not the most realiable kicks. Our midfield has been very ordinary without McLean. Our midfield depth is not that good and wether Judd will be available or not we need to boost our midfield it should be our first priority. The top 3 teams are winning because they have dominant midfields we need to get a midfield that will more than compete against them.

Judd by a country mile. Midfields win games forwards finish them off. Pavlich and Riewoldt are very good players but Judd is a class above everyone. He has dominated more games and won every award possible. Pavlich and Riewoldt are there to kick goals and they both especially Riewoldt are not the most realiable kicks. Our midfield has been very ordinary without McLean. Our midfield depth is not that good and wether Judd will be available or not we need to boost our midfield it should be our first priority. The top 3 teams are winning because they have dominant midfields we need to get a midfield that will more than compete against them.

Obviously I agree, that's the reason I presented the stats.... Pavlich and Riewoldt are clearly in the top five or so players in the AFL. But this is not 1970, footy is won around stopages and Judd is dominant - ubelievably dominant -regardless of whether other West Coast midfielders are playing or not. Last year he had 149 clearances compared to Junior who was twelth in theAFL with 96. He had 115 contested possessions compared to our highest ranked player in Junior (17th) with 62 - He was sixth in total for disposals, second for first possessions and amazingly for a bloke that wins so much of the ball himself 20th for 1%s.

Judd would take our midfield from being solid to being dominant. Pavlich would be nice, but if Bate keeps progressing we can work around the problem of CHF.