The Watch with Ben Gibson | Tom Morris

adonski

3 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

I'm fine with the internal discussions. That's what will make us better. It's the playing it out in media that potentially undermines the goal of getting better.

I agree.

Petracca has done himself no favours and comes across as a massive sook.  Well, to me, anyway.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Gator said:

It's childish to attack Morris over a story that is clearly true.

Right now, Petracca would walk out of the club if he could.

Blaming Morris for shedding light on the story lacks intellect.

You should be grateful you've been informed.  Now it's in the open hopefully the right changes will be made.

I'm sick of statements purporting to be true.

Who is your source on the trac statement above?

Put up or keep off this site.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 3

Just now, Gator said:

I agree.

Petracca has done himself no favours and comes across as a massive sook.  Well, to me, anyway.

Me too.

I had him as a leader of the football club, perhaps the next captain, and said as much before this story broke.

But he's shown he shouldn't be the captain with this.

• Like 3
  • Clap 2
  • Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

I'm fine with the internal discussions. That's what will make us better. It's the playing it out in media that potentially undermines the goal of getting better.

I have no problems with things getting out in the Media, in some ways they accelerate a process. 
As long as the right decisions are made. 
We need new blood in the Football Department, the gameplan needs new energy 

Get the right people 

4 minutes ago, Demon17 said:

I'm sick of statements purporting to be true.

Who is your source on the trac statement above?

Put up or keep off this site.

Has Tracc or Tracc’s management refuted any of the quotes??

There’s your answer…

• Like 5

1 hour ago, waynewussell said:

This year I have stopped listening to SEN and stopped watching 360 and On The Couch due to the continued 'pile on' directed at MFC. Prior to this, I listened to SEN religiously each morning and on my way to and from work. I was also a nightly viewer of Foxtel footy offerings. I think, over time, these productions will lose rusted on supporters as they tire of the current 'club in crisis' approach to gaining an audience. As ratings fall, so will the shows. We can only hope! 

Agree waynewussell,

Robbo now super negative, enjoyed watching Bevo calling him out a couple of weeks ago for his criticism of the Bulldogs.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

7 minutes ago, Gator said:

If I'm Petracca, a leader at the club, and that was erroneously said about me, I'd be correcting the assertion the next day.

If I'm Tom Morris, a senior journalist who values his reputation, especially in light of recent events, I'm not running with an inflammatory comment like that unless I know it's true.

Now, you can believe what you want, but I have zero doubt it's true and I also believe Morris' responsibity to his employer was to report what he knew.  It's a good story if you're in his game.

But I also get that emotional supporters who aren't capable of thinking clearly may get upset.

A good story to an editor is one that generates high click rate. Nothing else 

My inside knowledge is that trac is needy for attention and always has been. But not leaving. Wants to be loved and back in a successful team. Pretty much like all of us.

Morris has misconstrued agendas and come up with a product. Selling papers though so mission accomplished.

16 minutes ago, FreedFromDesire said:

It potentially could be complicated though. I absolutely agree with your sentiment and think it's generally painted Petracca in a very poor light, however, what if his frustrations weren't being addressed? What if they're not new and things bubbled to the surface? What if the issues are with the same people who make the decisions and they've not acted? If he hasn't felt heard you could see a situation where that lead to him lashing out and speaking to his management.

This is very likely what's happened. His concerns were previously brushed under the rug and now he's decided to go the press route.

Again though, not a good strategy, and does more harm than good.

You're a leader of the football club. You have to be able to galvanise people and convince them that the standards are not good enough.

I think Trac is getting some terrible advice from somewhere.

And he's going to need to do some work to patch this up with the leadership group.

I can only assume May, Lever and Viney are furious.

4 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Has Tracc or Tracc’s management refuted any of the quotes??

There’s your answer…

Seriously.? I'm still waiting.

Why does trac or anyone have to speak. Just because we think so.? Media moves on this week to next crisis now dees not in finals.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, Binmans PA said:

This is very likely what's happened. His concerns were previously brushed under the rug and now he's decided to go the press route.

You're a leader of the football club. You have to be able to galvanise people and convince them that the standards are not good enough.

And he's going to need to do some work to patch this up with the leadership group.

I think you've succinctly outlined what's going on.

Thanks

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Binmans PA said:

Gawn didn’t sound happy either. 

Considering he’s killed himself for the club and taken less money so we can play guys like Trac millions of dollars, I can imagine he isn’t thrilled to once again have to do damage control. 

• Like 8

We just don't know, so I guess I'm just being careful given we are yet to see:

What Christian has to actually say about the whole thing.
What impact the media pressure has on the club in terms of making changes now.
Whether he's actually correct if he's got issues with the direction or certain club leadership.

There's just so many things to play out about the whole situation yet. It's not impossible that it all ends up being a good thing - With the pressure from it driving the genuine change most of us know is needed, a more intense leadership focus on Christian where he has to lift that part of himself, and a new intensity from the group. Growth is painful, and if we somehow came out of it as a better and more successful club, I wonder if that would change how we perceive it in hindsight?

Of course, it could easily go the other way and do harm, but as much as I don't like the current public nature of it all; I'm willing to see where it goes now that it's all out there.

We either grow from it and get better or cut out a culture killer. Something is going to change though, and perhaps it's an outcome of my frustration from this season, but to me that's a good thing.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

Me too.

I had him as a leader of the football club, perhaps the next captain, and said as much before this story broke.

But he's shown he shouldn't be the captain with this.

It is unfair to criticise a terrific player and clubman over this matter as there is still a question mark about Tracc's health.

He may simply feel too bloody crook and tired to enter the media fray.

We should withhold any judgements until the truth comes out. 

Edited by Bitter but optimistic
  • Like 5
  • Clap 1

23 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I have no problems with things getting out in the Media, in some ways they accelerate a process. 
As long as the right decisions are made. 
We need new blood in the Football Department, the gameplan needs new energy 

Get the right people 

I remember how annoyed we all were the last time the tail started trying to wag the dog at this football club.

I'm surprised you've changed your tune.

Again, we need rigorous internal discussions and IMV a proper external review of the entire club, not just FD, the admin as well, but you don't it through the media.

It's manipulative, shows poor leadership and threatens to undermine more than resolve issues.

Which begs the question, is he trying to force trade or is he just a poor decision maker with poor impetuous advisors around him?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Demon17 said:

A good story to an editor is one that generates high click rate. Nothing else 

My inside knowledge is that trac is needy for attention and always has been. But not leaving. Wants to be loved and back in a successful team. Pretty much like all of us.

Morris has misconstrued agendas and come up with a product. Selling papers though so mission accomplished.

If true and if the story has come from his camp he may have scared Houston (and others?) off

whatever your view of the Houston deal, it’s a suboptimal way of taking care of the club paying you a lot of $$

17 minutes ago, Demon17 said:

Seriously.? I'm still waiting.

Why does trac or anyone have to speak. Just because we think so.? Media moves on this week to next crisis now dees not in finals.

No i agree with you. He doesn’t have to speak. He has put out a public altermatum directed at The Club 

7 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

It is unfair to criticise a terrific player and clubman over this matter as there is still a question mark about Tracc's health.

Wise words. Time for a little lie down.

8 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Each to their own, Unky Bitters. I'm happy to shoot from the hip on this occasion.

• Like 1

I remember how annoyed we all were the last time the tail started trying to wag the dog at this football club.

I'm surprised you've changed your tune.

Again, we need rigorous internal discussions and IMV a proper external review of the entire club, not just FD, the admin as well, but you don't it through the media.

It's manipulative, shows poor leadership and threatens to undermine more than resolve issues.

Which begs the question, is he trying to force trade or is he just a poor decision maker with poor impetuous advisors around him?

This is a totally different scenario from 10 years ago. We are a Club who still has a good list, we need some fresh coaches and ideas, we need a good trade period this Summer 

Tracc is basically saying to the Club

”Get on with it & Get it right”

A lot of people on this Board are reading far too much into this 

It’s far from a crisis, but the right decisions have to be made at all levels 

44 minutes ago, Gator said:

If I'm Petracca, a leader at the club, and that was erroneously said about me, I'd be correcting the assertion the next day.

If I'm Tom Morris, a senior journalist who values his reputation, especially in light of recent events, I'm not running with an inflammatory comment like that unless I know it's true.

Now, you can believe what you want, but I have zero doubt it's true and I also believe Morris' responsibity to his employer was to report what he knew.  It's a good story if you're in his game.

But I also get that emotional supporters who aren't capable of thinking clearly may get upset.

Make no mistake Tom Morris is a grub. 

• Like 3

Who controlling the narrative here? The club? They have said all they can publicly and are on the back foot so not them. The media? They are reacting to some information that was fed to them. They aren’t going to retract unless Petracca or his agent come out and tell their version of events. So the media isn’t really controlling the narrative either. The player/people who have fed the information to the media and can give their version of events at any time but are yet to? 

So the only question is; are Petracca and his team happy with the narrative and watching the club squirm? Maybe. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JJJ said:

Who controlling the narrative here? The club? They have said all they can publicly and are on the back foot so not them. The media? They are reacting to some information that was fed to them. They aren’t going to retract unless Petracca or his agent come out and tell their version of events. So the media isn’t really controlling the narrative either. The player/people who have fed the information to the media and can give their version of events at any time but are yet to? 

So the only question is; are Petracca and his team happy with the narrative and watching the club squirm? Maybe. 

Such a good point. 

Also, why are they happy to watch the club squirm? And will it change anything? 

16 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

This is a totally different scenario from 10 years ago. We are a Club who still has a good list, we need some fresh coaches and ideas, we need a good trade period this Summer 

Tracc is basically saying to the Club

”Get on with it & Get it right”

A lot of people on this Board are reading far too much into this 

It’s far from a crisis, but the right decisions have to be made at all levels 

I never said it was a crisis, but Trac has made it so much harder to have constructive and grown up conversations when he's been seen to be whinging about standards through media outlets, instead of having direct adult conversations, face to face with his peers.

Come on, I can't believe this is debatable.

• Like 3