Oliver Trade Rumours

1 hour ago, BLWNBA said:

It's absolutely beautiful watching Cornes et al. make adult fanboys have an absolute meltdown. 

It's also quite fun watching self styled iconoclasts unable to resist the need to make such comments.

'oh you silly fan boys you are all so silly taking the bait.

It doesnt bother me of course that you do, but i'm a rugged individual above such ridiculousness and I find you all so funny'

I mean, seriously, other people critising cornes rings your bell so much you feel the need to post about your discomfort (dressed up as derision)?

You seemingly have no insight into  the irony and contradiction at work here.

Edited by binman
  • Like 3
  • Love 3
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

To be honest I don't think what he's said is anything controversial.

He hasn't said that Melbourne will be looking to trade nor has Oliver's management are assessing at other options. I'd get it had he said any of this.

With all the noise that Oliver has had since day 1 of this year and still continuing to do so I can understand why clubs will be asking the question.

I mean, as an opposition club you'd be silly to at least not only ask the question but do your due diligence. I can see someone like a Chris Scott and the kids showing an interest. 

Maybe it's me, when I heard this at the time I just brushed it off and thought it's no different to any other star player that gets asked the question every single year.

So, after seeing vision of Clarrie and Goody after Saturday night's match, you're treating seriously the suggestion that we give away our first round draft pick and Oliver to another club in order to get salary cap relief?

Spare me.

• Like 6
  • Clap 4
  • Facepalm 1
  • Vomit 1

50 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Good on him.

Not going to knock a bloke down for working his way up and make a living for what he does. 

He's clearly good at doing what he does and that's to sell clicks. 

His current job is SEN Radio, Channel 9 Sunday Footy show and footy classified, AFL.com on a Saturday night with Riley Beveridge. 

Must be doing something right?

IF you take away some of the controversial opinions made, he is actually a decent listen. I think he does go over-the-top at times for click-bait - whether that is his character or manufactured, i don't know. His analysis on the game though and the way he talks and breaks down issues, is actually pretty good.  Better than most in the industry.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 58er said:

One thing still that highlights Clarry is that he still is one of the best last quarter players when he is needed to produce.

I was critical of his first half against the bombers but he played a blinder of a  second onr. And your right his last quarter effort was supreme.

He's still not 200 per cent but even at 75 per cent any club would take him.

Hell be back to his best soon and nobody wants to see that in any other colours.

Edited by leave it to deever

My views contrast with what I've read on here.

I have little to no sympathy for Oliver.  Clearly, he's an immature, boorish, and disrespectful fellow of the highest order.   He's also done his best impersonation of Augustus Gloop over the off-season.

I want the club's highest paid player, or close to it, performing on the field.  In many games he's been an embarrassment.

Every player gets cut some slack when going through tough times, even if it's self-inflicted.  But that slack isn't open-ended.  I can well understand the club trading him, or considering it, if defined markers aren't being met.

Thankfully, it appears he's come a long way and heading in the right direction.  But he's certainly not above performance scrutiny, especially with the contract he's on.  And no, I'm not endorsing the grovelling Tom Morris.

Hopefully, Oliver has a great summer and gets back to being the player we all know and he repays the club's faith.

He's paid to perform, which is all that interests me.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Thinking 1

25 minutes ago, binman said:

It's also quite fun watching self styled iconoclasts unable to resist the need to make such comments.

It doesnt bother me of course that you do, but i'm a rugged individual above such ridiculousness and I find you all so funny'

I mean, seriously, other people critising cornes rings your bell so much you feel the need to post about your discomfort (dressed up as derision)?

"since i left you" is the greatest oztrayan album of all time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

22 minutes ago, Blistering said:

So, after seeing vision of Clarrie and Goody after Saturday night's match, you're treating seriously the suggestion that we give away our first round draft pick and Oliver to another club in order to get salary cap relief?

Spare me.

Wow.. what a way to completely miss a point and attempt at putting words in my mouth. That wasn't even what i was implying at all.

Have another attempt. I'll grant you 3 chances to get it.

You've used up one..

• Vomit 3

Watch the movie Moneyball

if sentimentality is overdone then good manpower decisions are being neglected 

it’s inevitable on a fan based site that the prospect of losing a player might be unpopular 

what should be considered (hopefully by the club) is what’s best for MFC in total. That isn’t just one side of the transaction- losing a player.

What sal cap trade, risk and player type benefits might flow from any trade?

on the risk front does a player represent a risk such as manifest this year with Clarrie’s non preseason?

it could all be a slow news day item of course but we shouldn’t be scared of considering options 

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

23 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

IF you take away some of the controversial opinions made, he is actually a decent listen. I think he does go over-the-top at times for click-bait - whether that is his character or manufactured, i don't know. His analysis on the game though and the way he talks and breaks down issues, is actually pretty good.  Better than most in the industry.

Oh yeah he absolutely goes over the top and he's said things in the past about Melbourne where I've strongly disagreed on, but generally I find him decent to listen to.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Oh yeah he absolutely goes over the top and he's said things in the past about Melbourne where I've strongly disagreed on, but generally I find him decent to listen to.

i love how defensive he gets about the pear and horne-francis in particular

it's particularly amusing to me given how he was perceived at the club in his final years there

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

15 minutes ago, Gator said:

I have little to no sympathy for Oliver.  Clearly, he's an immature, boorish, and disrespectful fellow of the highest order.   He's also done his best impersonation of Augustus Gloop over the off-season.

I want the club's highest paid player, or close to it, performing on the field.  In many games he's been an embarrassment.

Every player gets cut some slack when going through tough times, even if it's self-inflicted.  But that slack isn't open-ended.  I can well understand the club trading him, or considering it, if defined markers aren't being met.

Thankfully, it appears he's come a long way and heading in the right direction.  But he's certainly not above performance scrutiny, especially with the contract he's on.  And no, I'm not endorsing the grovelling Tom Morris.

Hopefully, Oliver has a great summer and gets back to being the player we all know and he repays the club's faith.

I think things really reached a crescendo last year. It seems like it was a combination of a number of factors, injury, breakdown of a relationship, challenges with medication he's on all while having developed some unsociable coping mechanisms (the photo/videos of the pokies were a bit much). I see it as somewhat of a bit of an early midlife crisis, clearly there was a cry out for help and when you're in your mid twenties and have achieved more that most could ever dream in their whole career it's hard to try to put yourself in his shoes.

I think it's clear that deep down Clarry has good values and wants some of the things that many of us take for granted in life, good relationships, a family etc. and he's made some mistakes in trying to get there. He needed and continues to need to grow up but he's on the right track now. It seems like he's got a good idea of what the destructive behaviours are and what he needs to eliminate from his lifestyle. The club know the best thing to do is to monitor him and keep him busy. It wasn't a surprise to see him on the trip with Kozzie, McAdam and Goody, smart management from the club and a great experience for Clarry.

I think he has turned a big corner and we would be absolutely stupid to consider trading him now. He's got another 5-7 years of elite football left in him and that a full pre season will do him a world of good.

There's a great quote from Thomas Watson (IBM): "Recently, I was asked if I was going to fire an employee who made a mistake that cost the company $600,000. No, I replied, I just spent $600,000 training him. Why would I want somebody to hire his experience?"

Something in that I reckon.

Edited by Sparrowsfart
  • Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 1

9 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

i love how defensive he gets about the pear and horne-francis in particular

it's particularly amusing to me given how he was perceived at the club in his final years there

That I agree with! His bias towards Port and JHF is ridiculous. 

23 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

And the clip for the title track is the greatest music vid of all time!

34 minutes ago, Gator said:

I didn’t know you knew him personally. You do know him personally, right? RIGHT?? If so, there must be two Clarries coz the one I’ve gotten to know in the past six months is NOTHING as you describe.

Fat-shaming too, what a nice piece of works you are.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1

4 hours ago, Travy14 said:

image.png.a2325b8222975b3d870202adbf6192d7.png

Whilst Oliver has been down on his AFL ELITE standards. he is still ave or above ave in the key statistics.  He has clearly gone to a defensive mid role this year as he doesn't have his usual tank.  He wont be going anywhere unless he wants a change.  

Which going on his rel with goody i can't see that happening.  I'm sure Kane wouldn't have said the same about Peter Burgoyne in 2000 when he was in off field strife.

He's also been clearly playing a different role in many games he's played this year. He often sacrifices his game so that someone can get off the leash.

For a guy that had pretty much no pre season and has been hampered by his busted finger, he's been pretty damn solid, just not to elite heights. But good luck without a full pre season.

Elite Clarry will be back.

• Like 6
  • Love 4

48 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Wow.. what a way to completely miss a point and attempt at putting words in my mouth. That wasn't even what i was implying at all.

Have another attempt. I'll grant you 3 chances to get it.

You've used up one..

Really?

What you wrote was

"To be honest I don't think what he's said is anything controversial."

They were your exact words.

Brown and the panel are nodding their heads in agreement and advocating that we give away our first round draft pick and Oliver to another club in order to get salary cap relief.

It's one thing to be against giving players long and lucrative contracts but it's quite another to suggest that there's nothing controversial in not only giving up on a four time b & f but in doing so giving away your best draft pick as well.

That's nonsensical, not commercial and not in any way resembling what a club with a good culture does with its champion players.

I'm pretty sure that you miss the point if you claim that's not controversial and ... you've used up two.

Edited by Blistering
  • Like 6

33 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

8 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

And the clip for the title track is the greatest music vid of all time!

A tear just came to my eye.

I didn't know.

I didn't know they were Australian.

I'm so proud. For me, July 18th will be the new date for Australia Day.

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, Blistering said:

Really?

What you wrote was

"To be honest I don't think what he's said is anything controversial."

They were your exact words.

Brown and the panel are nodding their heads in agreement and advocating that we give away our first round draft pick and Oliver to another club in order to get salary cap relief.

It's one thing to be against giving players long and lucrative contracts but it's quite another to suggest that there's nothing controversial in not only giving up on a four time b & f but in doing so giving away your best draft pick as well.

That's nonsensical, not commercial and not in any way resembling what a club with a good culture does with its champion players.

I'm pretty sure that you miss the point if you claim that's not controversial and you've used up two.

You're stating that I'm implying that we do trade him. There is no where or even a hint of evidence that suggest I was even suggesting this. I'm merely saying that Tom Morris isn't saying anything extraordinary that we haven't heard already this year. It's literally folks like you who have let this trigger you without even breaking it down.

He's literally saying clubs have asked the question? What's so controversial about that? Star players get asked every year from all clubs because it's part of their due diligence. Of course clubs are going to ask the question about Oliver, he's a star player.

The difference between this one is that the Oliver story has carried noise all year so of course it's going to drum up attention

You can relax brother, he's not getting traded.. 😅

Edited by dazzledavey36

Its not controversial, it's deeply disrespectful, to both Clarry and the MFC.

[censored] em.

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

8 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

You're stating that I'm implying that we do trade him. There is no where or even a hint of evidence that suggest I was even suggesting this. I'm merely saying that Tom Morris isn't saying anything extraordinary that we haven't heard already this year. It's literally folks like you who have let this trigger you without even breaking it down.

He's literally saying clubs have asked the question? What's so controversial about that? Star players get asked every year from all clubs because it's part of their due diligence. Of course clubs are going to ask the question about Oliver, he's a star player.

The difference between this one is that the Oliver story has carried noise all year so of course it's going to drum up attention

You can relax brother, he's not getting traded.. 😅

I'm relaxed and I know that he won't be traded and I'm not saying you're implying that.

The problem is that Cornes, Morris and their cohorts are saying with a straight face that it would be the right thing for the club to do. That's what's controversial.

PaulRB is right - it's more than controversial. It's an insult to the club and to us supporters.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, binman said:

Please Binny go for a lay down if thats you style of music,I need one after watching it

• Haha 2
  • Shocked 1