POSTGAME: Rd 17 vs West Coast

11 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

Rivers has been a revelation for us.

Rivers wasa gun. Our midfield has been all over the shop this year and now with Trac out , Rivers has really stepped up.

I really want to see much more from Sparrow who tackles very well but simply never gets enough of the ball. He averages around 15 disposals which for a bloke with his experience is just not enough.

Are there any other players you can think of that we can throw into the guts?I don't like seeing Kozzie there as he belongs fwd as much as possible. Same with Jvr having to give Max a rest.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Good call. I thought he had been tiring somewhat of late but played his guts out yesterday and didn't seem fatigued at all.

A particular instance occurred not far from me so got to see the dynamics fairly clearly. Attempting to chip overva weagle to ( can't remember lol )

Ball a little to flat and not enough oomph.. weagle got hand to it.  A shame..  He is far from alone in this.  Just puts a lot of work to waste   By any measure these won't always come off but if you're going to kick cute.... learn how.

Again... a big improver.  Only first year.  But that doesn't mean we can't teach better.

Footy is a 1000 little things... this is one.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

You get the feeling he's just going to bust games open. 

Another preseason... some more games..  whoarrr..  Will be fun to watch an a headache for oppositions.

Go you good Kolt 👍👍👍

In addition, his post game interview tells us so much more about the impressive young man.

His eloquent answers about the genuine love he feels for the club and his teammates are heartwarming and believable, certainly mirroring the joy he shares openly with them

I’d go so far as to say he’s future captain material

• Like 4
  • Clap 2

Just now, joeboy said:

In addition, his post game interview tells us so much more about the impressive young man.

His eloquent answers about the genuine love he feels for the club and his teammates are heartwarming and believable, certainly mirroring the joy he shares openly with them

He's got that 'something'......and big hair lol

• Haha 1

Seeing Melksham back in the side yesterday reminded me how big a deal his injury in the last h and a game last year was such a big loss to our fwd line. We probably would have beaten cwood and possibly one a flag. He and Gus were big losses at a really bad time.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, joeboy said:

He also seems to have reigned or seems to be channelling his agro which is a big sign of maturity. He's pretty mature for his age and watching him kick a bag of goals yesterday, it's easy to forget that he's only mid way through his second season of footy.

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Rivers wasa gun. Our midfield has been all over the shop this year and now with Trac out , Rivers has really stepped up.

I really want to see much more from Sparrow who tackles very well but simply never gets enough of the ball. He averages around 15 disposals which for a bloke with his experience is just not enough.

Are there any other players you can think of that we can throw into the guts?I don't like seeing Kozzie there as he belongs fwd as much as possible. Same with Jvr having to give Max a rest.

I would love to see Judd training with the midfield group pre season. I love his toughness, has a steady head and hands under pressure, great decision maker, is fast and delivers the ball better than most. 

Much like Riv did this past pre-season. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

I think it was Garry Lyon who said he thought we should be rotating McVee through the middle. I agree it might be worth a try, he has most of the attributes. I too don’t like seeing JVR in the ruck, I thought Disco looked ok when he had a go in the centre bounces. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Seeing Melksham back in the side yesterday reminded me how big a deal his injury in the last h and a game last year was such a big loss to our fwd line. We probably would have beaten cwood and possibly one a flag. He and Gus were big losses at a really bad time.

The impact of these losses given how crucial their roles are/were, and form (Melk esp) in the team, and the timing and immediate disruption of their absence can't be understated. Agree wholeheartedly with this view. GWS played a blinder against the Pies (which would have been us), so a tough game no doubt, but I reckon we would have been right in that, and in the frame for a flag. 

It's overlooked how much their losses just before finals/on game day were - with our losses (too generally) blamed on poor kicking. Yes, if we kicked goals, we won both those games, but the structural impact of the losses contributed in a big way to the way we had to play on those days. 

• Clap 2

36 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Eighteen marks from Jake the snake and the Roo was a big factor here. 

Petty was good too in his last game at being a vital cog in this important connection but sadly lacking in most of his other games.

So without being mean and between the lines, his absence wasn't missed. I just don't believe he's confident playing forward. He is a natural defender and a good one.

So the team is so much better with someone else in that role.

It was a great effort from Jake who is also a very accurate shot at goal.

We played a more expansive game yesterday than against the Lions, where our forwards marked down the line.

Petty needs to fix his goal kicking 4.13 from 21 shots is a terrible return. His poor kicking cost us against Brisbane at the GABBA and against Carlton.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Earl Hood said:

I think it was Garry Lyon who said he thought we should be rotating McVee through the middle. I agree it might be worth a try, he has most of the attributes. I too don’t like seeing JVR in the ruck, I thought Disco looked ok when he had a go in the centre bounces. 

McVee is too light and lacks the power to play in the centre bounces IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Red But Mostly Blue said:

with our losses (too generally) blamed on poor kicking.

And Milk is a very accurate set shot.

He's also a gun kicking them from the pockets where we often focus a lot of our fwd entries.

So again both of those were massive out and not an over reach to suggest they cost us a flag.

There is a lot of luck in footy and 21 saw us with a great deal of it in terms of injuries or rather the lack of them.

Last year was so unfortunate to see Jakey go down after a clear Renaissance of form for the veteran. And I guess poor Gus wasn't bad luck but I still believe the result of malice or clear over zealous and dangerous play by he who shall not be named.( And also the injuries of Bbb and Tmac). In all a decimated fwd line.

So for all the pundits who argue Goody hasn't done enough with this list, take away last year's bad luck and I think he's done very well.

I must say it was great to see Goody down on the boundary line fist pumping the air after the Kolt kicked his second.

Say what you will about his selections at times ( I've been banging on about Laurie as the sub for Gus last year) but the blokes 100 per cent commited emotionally to this club. Alas I digress.

This year our luck hasn't been great and the club's been making calls on the fly and blooding as many youngsters as possible.

Great to see many of them paying dividends and pushing aside many of the players we imported from other teams .

Including AMZ who a few here have taken a couple of cheap pot shots at. I think he's been outstanding in his two games of Senior footy.

Windsor yesterday played like a seasoned footy player. Even Disco is stepping up. And the Kolt stood up with our first two goals.

But the big one is JVR who is still part of our young players. From watching yesterday one would be forgiven for thinking he had a good five seasons under his belt.

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Earl Hood said:

I have thought for some weeks that using roo as a ruckman is costing us in the forward line. He is a poor ruckman and we miss his presence in the forward line. We just need someone to be competitive as a ruckman. 

• Like 2
  • Clap 2

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

poor kicking cost us against Brisbane at the GABBA and against Carlton.

He scored no goals in those and notably  with four behinds against the lions.

As mentioned earlier had he kicked just one goal in both those games we would be in second place on the ladder.

Of course that's not all on Petty but it shows how close the season is and how we are not as bad as it has seemed at times.

We have had a three or four games we haven't looked switched on or rather like we didn't turn up.

The eagles, early lions game, the Freo one and the Carlton game where we were shell shocked in the first ( including being totally shafted by the umps in the first quarter ).

It is as mentioned a very close season and even if a team is a little off they can be demolished by another.

Swan's are a case in point. Clearly a red hot team that got beaten by Tigers and yesterday the cellar dwellers in St Kilda.

We have been behind the eightball this year with injuries. Our fwd line has struggled all year and our midfield has been well down with Oliver playing only a couple of his usual blinders who we have relied on for years. Viney has been well down on his possession tally and now Trac is out. We have also really missed Gus.

With Jake back our fwd line looks much stronger and yesterday saw a few youngsters picking up the slack and racking up a few disposals.

Essendon is a must win next week.

I so hope it happens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, old dee said:

I have thought for some weeks that using roo as a ruckman is costing us in the forward line. He is a poor ruckman and we miss his presence in the forward line. We just need someone to be competitive as a ruckman. 

Spot on Mr O Dee.

He is our pivotal and leading fwd as of now. I also think he didn't do too well in the role either.

So who do we use? It's a problem. Tmac?

I also don't like seeing Kozzie thrown in the guts as he belongs fwd. Great to see him finally pull in one of those speckies too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, leave it to deever said:

Hey scored no goals in those  with four behinds against the lions.

As mentioned earlier had he kicked just one goal in both those games we would be in second place on the ladder.

Of course that's not all on Petty but it shows how close the season is and how we are not as bad as it has seemed at times.

We have had a three or four games we haven't looked switched on or rather like we didn't turn up.

The eagles, early lions game, the Freo one and the Carlton game we were shell shocked in the first ( including being totally shafted by the umps in the first quarter ).

It is as mentioned a very close season and even if a team is a little off they can be demolished by another.

Swan's are a case in point. Clearly a red hot team that got beaten by Tigers and yesterday the cellar dwellers in St Kilda.

We have been behind the eightball this year with injuries. Our fwd line has struggled all year and our midfield has been well down with Oliver playing only a couple of his usual blinders who we have relied on for years. Viney has been well down on his possession tally and now Trac is out. We have also really missed Gus.

With Jake back our fwd line looks much stronger and yesterday saw a few youngsters picking up the slack and racking up a few disposals.

Essendon is a must win next week.

I so hope it happens.

Milkshake has amazing vision and his kicking to position is very good.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We arrived at the G a bit earlier than usual, great to see so many kids running around in the Red and Blue, we sit on L2 Souther stand. Plenty of usual Dee families around us, sitting in the glorious sunshine very boisterous Demon Army over to our right. Excellent game today, stress free, fast ball movement, the team was hard and tough all day, accuracy in front of goal, kids and mature agers all playing well. Rivers lead the way, how good are JVR, Tholstrup, Windsor and McVee. Milkshake adds poise, class, leadership and toughness to our young forward line. We gave as good as we got, I yelled myself hoarse, enjoyed the company around me and loved hearing the Demon Army celebrating the goal fest and putting pressure on their defenders as they kicked out. The 4&20 and coffee were hot and we had a very relaxed drive home lamenting not kicking the filth out of the eight.😁😁

• Like 4
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, leave it to deever said:

Spot on Mr O Dee.

He is our pivotal and leading fwd as of now. I also think he didn't do too well in the role either.

So who do we use? It's a problem. Tmac?

I also don't like seeing Kozzie thrown in the guts as he belongs fwd. Great to see him finally pull in one of those speckies too.

It's a while since tmac  played ruck. He is playing so well in defence we would be robbing Peter to pay Paul. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

There’s a big difference between having swagger and self belief, and carrying on and being arrogant when you’ve played a handful of games for the wooden spooners. 

Kolt does have swagger, he does strut around and he gives the impression that he’s arrogant and conceited. But that’s on the field. Off-field he’s a humble, polite, gentle-natured kid. He’s truly a sweetheart. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

Mitch Cleary reporting Max to miss a week with an ankle injury.

cue Demonland melts 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1

4 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

cue Demonland melts 

With Max out we really need to play Fullarton or Verrall or maybe both as Bombers are a tallish side and will outmark us, need Tmack in the backline he was brilliant yesterday.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

cue Demonland melts 

I am melting right now.

It was bad enough we lost the centre clearances by 18 to 8 but this could get worse with Max out for a whole game.

I love Jvr but I don't like seeing sacrificing our best fwd to have to ruck. Besides he didn't do too well in the role yesterday.

Hopefully Max will defy them all and be up and about against the Dons who are not lacking in this department.

Any suggestions for his replacement?

We have had a really annoying run of injuries this year and most of them occurring when things are getting better.

Bloody hell 

Damn footy Gods. 

I feel like the wicked which from Oz ........I'm melting

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

I am melting right now.

It was bad enough we lost the centre clearances by 18 to 8 but this could get worse with Max out for a whole game.

I love Jvr but I don't like seeing sacrificing our best fwd to have to ruck. Besides he didn't do too well in the role yesterday.

Hopefully Max will defy them all and be up and about against the Dons who are not lacking in this department.

Any suggestions for his replacement?

We have had a really annoying run of injuries this year and most of them occurring when things are getting better.

Bloody hell 

Damn footy Gods. 

I feel like the wicked which from Oz ........I'm melting

Fullarton? Or maybe Will V?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Fullarton? Or maybe Will V?

Can't really say I've followed enough of Casey to suggest anyone.

Can Tmac do it?

Please get well Maxy.

Essendon are a very tall side and of all sides to have to play without Max they are probably the hardest.

I don't want to see your hatred of them increase. From all accounts If this happens I sincerely fear you will explode.

• Haha 2