POSTGAME: Rd 16 vs Brisbane

3 minutes ago, Deesprate said:

Fagan presser was interesting gave no credit to the Dees at all. The closeness of the game was due to their kicking and errors. The second quarter was also nothing to do with Dee’s. At least Goody recognises good play of the opposition. Fagan came across as a real twerp. Also does anyone know what the interaction between Fagan and Petty was at game end. Pretty intense conversation and it wasn’t pleasantries. 

Petty probably telling him his team is full of arrogant plonkers who should win a flag before they open their mouths. They’re the biggest underachievers of this decade! 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, binman said:

Yep.

Heartbreaking result.

But a fantastic performance.

Most on here gave us zero chance.

Lucky to get within 5 goals and all that.

On that logic we smashed the expectations of most posters.

I haven't read this thread yet - I hope those that had such expectations are acknowledging how good our performance was and not taking the loss at yet another opportunity to just pile on.

Any in the 'we are so hopeless we wont get within a bulls roar camp' who still choose to pile on are showing their true colours. And they aren't red and blue.

i was bullish about our chances and was confident of a really good performance. I was not in the least surprised that's what we got.

My expectations were we set ourselves for this game and that we would see a much more dynamic team running over the ground better and being better in the contest.

They met my expectations as that's what we got.

So much better in the spread, so much more gut running (which is why our all team defence was so good for most of the game - and why it dropped off in the last as we tired).

The intensity and contest was great - though the pressure  wasn't as good in the first as it needed to be. We we were lucky they only had a 15 point lead at quarter time.

Viney was immense.

Clarry was terrific, and worked himself into the ground. As did chin and others. 

Koz was simply brilliant.

The second quarter was our best quarter of footy for a long, long time.

We ran out of gas in the last, but not too badly - certainly not as bad as last week. 

Not helped by petty rolling his ankle or goody not bringing pup on early in the last, or even late in the third, to inject some fresh legs and run. 

Losing bowey really hurt, particularly given salo was out too.

Woey struggled down back and would have been sub if bowey played. And would have been a much better sub option than pup. More flexible in terms of role, more experienced and stronger. Goody would have brought him on earlier. 

But the biggest he issue was once again our inability to kick clutch goals.

2.8 in the second half was why we lost. Same story 

Poor kicking is our biggest weakness - and really the evidence is mounting up we have issues under pressure (which by the by is exacerbated by poor technique).

The other big factor was we couldn't generate enough intercept marks - though they ate less relevant in the transition game we were playing for much of the game. 

On the free against nibbla, he was unlucky because he was tripped. But the free was probably there and I want umpires to pay free they see regardless of the point in the match.

But what drives me insane is that free was in the context of us not receiving frees that were there late in the game. Where were our holding the bloody ball frees (made worse pinging us in the middle fir tge htb). Or May's mark that wasn't paid. Pay them for God sakes.

And was that 50 to rivers against rayner at the end? Marginal perhaps, but so was nibblas.

We are still well in the hunt this season. 

As goody had said all the season we want to be playing our best footy in August and September.

The second quarter looked like our best footy. We need to see that for longer in games, and I expect we will.

To misquote Paul McCarthy, reports of our death are much exaggerated.

"My expectations were we set ourselves for this game and that we would see a much more dynamic team running over the ground better and being better in the contest."

The players are highly paid professionals. Shouldn't this be a given every week?

5 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

Did we not review last week's final quarter where we failed to kick a goal?

I just don't understand how it happens 2 weeks in a row

No legs, ran out of gas like last week and went defensive - didn’t want to take a risk in case we turned it over cos it would be a certain goal the other way as no one could get back to cover. 

There was at least 3 times they got it off us and it was 3 on 1 in their forward line cos no one could get back to help. Same as last week they were cooked but this time we didn’t have a big enough lead. 

Still [censored] off they didn’t pay May the mark on our half forward line, instead of him kicking it to the top of the square it’s down the other end. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Petty probably telling him his team is full of arrogant plonkers who should win a flag before they open their mouths. They’re the biggest underachievers of this decade! 

Port number one on that ladder, followed closely by the lion cubs.

8 minutes ago, Deesprate said:

Fagan presser was interesting gave no credit to the Dees at all. The closeness of the game was due to their kicking and errors. The second quarter was also nothing to do with Dee’s. At least Goody recognises good play of the opposition. Fagan came across as a real twerp. Also does anyone know what the interaction between Fagan and Petty was at game end. Pretty intense conversation and it wasn’t pleasantries. 

No it wasn't lol. 

They were both smiling and having a chuckle together. They both have clearly had interactions previously with the whole Petty and Zorko situation few years back.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, rpfc said:

That was a really good performance given where the team is at. 

But don’t expect that kind of performance (and that kind of second quarter) as becoming more of a regular thing with the youth we have in the side, the injuries we have, and the burden we place on fewer and fewer. 

Need to keep our expectations in line with reality.

I agree with you in part the effort was there, and the 2nd quarter there was some really good ball movement and it showed that the only position Kossie should play is the forward line full stop, the down side was the poor coaching in the last quarter by all the coaches allowing free lion players across the backline. 

2 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Port number one on that ladder, followed closely by the lion cubs.

Lions have won more games in the last 4 years than anyone else, except us 

They even got gifted the golden chance to play a grand final at the Gabba and still [censored] the bed!

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

7 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

I don’t think stating facts is being precious, but I suppose you live in a different reality. 

I was talking about you being too sensitive to my replies by the irony of you calling me sensitive. Thems the facts. 

Just now, ElDiablo14 said:

JVR will be a monster KPF of this league.

Top 4 for years to come.

Yep as a few of us have thought. Plays the odd quiet game but he is steadily improving and will get stronger each year.

Even in his quieter games you still get the impression he gives his absolute best.

Won't be long until we see him kick a few big bags.

Hopefully next week at the Eagles.

Last night gave me a great deal of hope to see some young players step up.

Not so much about this season but next year.

We just need to import a couple of big fwds and some more midfield talent and we will be back on track.

The backbone of talent and experience is still strong. 

• Like 1

One thing that is clear is that we need leadership in our front half. I would play Petty back for the rest of the year and TMAC forward. TMAC has been outstanding, but we need his presence to help JVR and Turner

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

Did we not review last week's final quarter where we failed to kick a goal?

I just don't understand how it happens 2 weeks in a row

This is my explanation.

Last week we didn't score a point in the last quarter because we completey ran out of gas because we trained hard in our bye period and set ourselves for this game.

Last night we also ran out of gas, though nowhere near as much. The six day break and travel was no doubt a factor.

Last week maxy said an issue in the roos scoring we were trying to score too much rather than control the tempo. That's to say we let the game open up

And so this we tried to control the tempo in the last mote effectively. And did a good job of doing so for much of the last quarter.

The critical problem was missing  four very gettable goals in the last quarter - petty, clarry, langers and fritter.

Kick one of them and we likey win (or perhaps draw in fritters case). 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

I can assure you I'm not sensitive but you are, you keep replying love it.

You clearly are. You bought up the word first, not me 3165 and you just did again. It's no crime but again these are the facts. Maybe embrace it.

21 minutes ago, Fromgotowoewodin said:

No legs, ran out of gas like last week and went defensive - didn’t want to take a risk in case we turned it over cos it would be a certain goal the other way as no one could get back to cover. 

There was at least 3 times they got it off us and it was 3 on 1 in their forward line cos no one could get back to help. Same as last week they were cooked but this time we didn’t have a big enough lead. 

Still [censored] off they didn’t pay May the mark on our half forward line, instead of him kicking it to the top of the square it’s down the other end. 

Agree on all of the above.

On the may non mark, what is so galling is they pay a mark like the one to the big one near the end of the first q, which was marginal on terms of him controlling the ball. And may controls it for longer- and doesn't get paid.

The inconsistentcy is infuriating.

Same goes for riv running too far. There wasn't really another that wasn't paid in tgis match but games plsyers get away with running further mutiple times.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Winners at last said:

"My expectations were we set ourselves for this game and that we would see a much more dynamic team running over the ground better and being better in the contest."

The players are highly paid professionals. Shouldn't this be a given every week?

I meant set ourselves physically in terms of the high performance program and load management, ie being as fresh as possible for this game.

5 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

lmfao you keep believing that whatever gets you through the day, i can keep this up all day so keep going please

I'm sure you could ( that's nothing to be proud of) but unlike you out of respect for others here this will be my final post on the matter.

All I did was point out that you literally often call other people's posts as rubbish. Especially after a loss.

You then called me sensitive for pointing this out when my intention was to point out that it's a little bit on the repetitive side.

So it wasn't a stretch to suggest that maybe that you had to respond as you being sensitive.

It Wasn't about me but more about respect to others on this site. The very fact that you can say you can keep bickering non stop hear speaks volumes about you. Again ...a fact. You just said it.

I won't. Besides you are a tad sensitive. That's not a dig. We all our to a degree. It's just maybe you should consider it before you call others out for it 

Anyway as promised that's it from me. Have a good weekend.

1 minute ago, binman said:

I meant set ourselves physically in terms of the high performance program and load management, ie being as fresh as possible for this game.

The effort was there no doubt and the lions are not in great form either but take away the second quarter we only kicked 3 more goals for the game.

52 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

When I was leaving work last night a fellow co-worker said Melbourne are doing well, you're up by 4 goals.  I said I've seen this show before, I'm not getting excited yet.

Aint this the truth.
And they wonder why Melbourne crowds are conservative supporters.

1 minute ago, leave it to deever said:

I'm sure you could ( that's nothing to be proud of) but unlike you out of respect for others here this will be my final post on the matter.

All I did was point out that you literally often call other people's posts as rubbish. Especially after a loss.

You then called me sensitive for pointing this out when my intention was to point out that it's a little bit on the repetitive side.

So it wasn't a stretch to suggest that maybe that you had to respond as you being sensitive.

It Wasn't about me but more about respect to others on this site. The very fact that you can say you can keep bickering non stop hear speaks volumes about you. Again ...a fact. You just said it.

I won't. Besides you are a tad sensitive. That's not a dig. We all our to a degree. It's just maybe you should consider it before you call others out for it 

Anyway as promised that's it from me. Have a good weekend.

Show me where I said you were sensitive, you said that my friend.

• Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, Dee Zephyr said:

What’s this supposed to mean?

He’s in our top 5 players this year and has become a senior figure who can be relied upon week after week. He was as cooked as anyone in the last, just our luck that McCluggage arzed it through.

Certainly not blaming ANB for the loss. 

Yeah, yeah runs all day, works hard yadda, yadda.
Also a habitual momentum killer.

Sometimes maybe good.
Sometimes maybe sheet.

And often maybe sheet is when games get tight.
There aint many cool heads in our leadership group.

Edited by Fork 'em
  • Facepalm 1