PREGAME: Rd 02 vs Hawthorn

11 hours ago, binman said:

There was also a bit of chat about BBB's selection.

Fair enough too as it was left field selection given he had surgery only a few weeks ago, had been in rehab before that and he had only one VFL practice game (maybe 2?) under his belt.

But it was a good selection. 

Hore wasn't as left field, but his selection was still somewhat unexpected given he was replacing bowser, with many thinkng Laurie  might come in and/or salo goes back. 

And his selection meant  three players new to our baclkine - hore, tmac and howes.

So I"s argue tmac was not the only selection questioned. 

Binny, we made 5 changes from the Round 1 team for the round 2 team. One, Bowey, was forced because of his injury. There was discussion around this, but to my mind the selection of Hore to replace him was not contentious and was generally accepted. Three players, Spargo, Schache and Laurie were dropped from the team because their form was questionable. I do not recall much discussion on them being replaced. 

One player, Tomlinson, was dropped and replaced by TMac and there was a lot of reaction to that selection as the general opinion was that Tomlinson had performed adequately. 

I was reacting to this comment of yours .... "As BDA notes his selections last week, much ridiculed on here, turned out to be very good decisions." I do not agree that the decisions of last week were much ridiculed. Four of the five selections were accepted without much, if any ridicule. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CHF said:

Binny, we made 5 changes from the Round 1 team for the round 2 team. One, Bowey, was forced because of his injury. There was discussion around this, but to my mind the selection of Hore to replace him was not contentious and was generally accepted. Three players, Spargo, Schache and Laurie were dropped from the team because their form was questionable. I do not recall much discussion on them being replaced. 

One player, Tomlinson, was dropped and replaced by TMac and there was a lot of reaction to that selection as the general opinion was that Tomlinson had performed adequately. 

I was reacting to this comment of yours .... "As BDA notes his selections last week, much ridiculed on here, turned out to be very good decisions." I do not agree that the decisions of last week were much ridiculed. Four of the five selections were accepted without much, if any ridicule. 

spargo was out injured with his achilles as well

two forced changes, three dropped (all justified)

47 minutes ago, DeeZee said:

Yes on seven news they said Brown was given the news the he is out for Petty.

Strange Sub as he can only play one position 

If this is true I’m absolutely miffed. Just when after last week I thought the match committee had learned their lessons, dropping Brown into the sub after he played a fantastic game last week seems like a really bad idea. 

I do have a theory though, they could be looking at the upcoming cramped fixture and be thinking “Will Petty’s and Brown’s bodies hold up?” If they end up using a rotation of the two to minimise game time that could very well play to our advantage. The other point is that although having pace off the bench would be valuable, imagine a fresh as a daisy Ben Brown coming on after the KPD has played 2 and a half to three quarters of footy already. 

I still don’t like it, but I hope there’s more thinking than just “get Petty in”. 

• Like 3

I feel for Brown. Goodwin has form with decisions like this but Brown was useful last week.

The only thing I will say regarding Brown is that he is so appalling defensively due to his lack of mobility that perhaps he is purely on the list for depth if the 1st choice guys are fit. But then again, having him a sub makes no sense in that context…

Maybe it’s Goodwin’s god complex shining through?

• Facepalm 1

Browns knees are cactus. He'll need to be nursed through the season. Reckon being named sub is just part of managing him while also giving some gametime to Petty. 

• Like 7

Naming Petty says a lot about the state of BB and his knees. If BB always needs backup, I’d rather an underdone Petty than a fully fit Schache any day. 

Edited by bing181
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, bing181 said:

Naming Petty says a lot about the state of BB and his knees. If BB always needs backup, I’d rather an underdone Petty than a fully fit Schache any day. 

Always weird that we question selections, inferring that we know more than the coaches and selectors. 

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

Club stated a few weeks ago they were aiming for a Petty return against the Hawks and DL was like

Happy Season 17 GIF by The Simpsons

Fast forward to Petty returns against the Hawks and most of DL is like 

Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

Edited by Dee Zephyr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, KLV said:

Always weird that we question selections, inferring that we know more than the coaches and selectors

You just described 95% of Demonlanders