Harvey Langford - Dandenong

Christian Moraes - Eastern

Sam Lalor - GWV

Murphy Reid - Sandringham 

Taj Hotton - Sandringham 

Tom Gross - Oakleigh   

Bo Allan -WA

Toby Travaglia - Bendigo

Either Lindsay or Langford would be a Xmas gift for the Dees. Future midfielder stars imv.  We just need to keep our 1st round pick this year.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 26/07/2024 at 17:21, Nascent said:

Any player you like in particular if we keep a pick in the 7 - 16 range Chaser?

The obvious ones are Sid Draper and Sam Lalor, but the guys that kept drawing my eye were Tobie Travaglia and Joe Berry.

I think Travaglia is one of those guys that lifts when the game is on the line and finds a way to impact. Good all round game and think he can go through midfield in time. I view Bo Allan similarly.

Berry’s not just good around goals but uses the ball well up the ground and was pretty handy around clearances for Vic Country. Smart, quick and efficient around 50. The current game is accommodating to teams that have a fleet of small, skilled forwards and Berry’s a v good one.

Edited by ChaserJ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

On 26/07/2024 at 16:50, ChaserJ said:

I’m REALLY hoping we have a first round pick to use in this draft!

I'm hoping we have two! Even if Clarry returns to his very best, I think we're crying out for new midfield talent. 

How would you describe the draft group this year in comparison to the last few?

• Like 1

From the little I've seen of Sid Draper, he seems like a Merrett clone with perhaps not the same level of foot skills. 

I'm quite excited about his potential.

If he could make the step up to AFL level he'd certainly provide a point of difference for our midfield.

Very explosive around stoppage.

Edited by Binmans PA
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

From the little I've seen of Sid Draper, he seems like a Merrett clone with perhaps not the same level of foot skills. 

If he could make the step up to AFL level he'd certainly provide a point of difference for our midfield.

Reminds me a fair bit of Chad Warner.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

Watch Demonland now go into meltdown

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Seriously strong draft this year. Lots of high quality midfielders.  I know I have mentioned that a lot but it’s time for JT to load up with the first 3 picks on quality ball winning mids.  We should look to trade our 2025 first round pick into this years first round.  Others will see and think of a MFC demise and believe next year could reap a top 5-8 pick. I think we can bounce .  Reset away from our comfort zone that seems to have infested our list and coaching staff.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I’m with Spirit Of Norm Smith after watching that game last night I would also be pushing to top up our depleted midfield stocks with best available, we need contested footballers with good foot skills and pace, they improve the team straight away plus a ruckman. I would also rookie in another tall and best available speedster. Without a strong midfield base we will continue to lose our advantage.

• Like 2

Mids mids and more mids should be the key focus for this year's draft.

We've got Kalani White and Tairon Ah-Mu in next year's draft who are both key position players which will help with our developing forwards and backs tall stocks.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

19 hours ago, Binmans PA said:

I’d take him in a second

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Mids mids and more mids should be the key focus for this year's draft.

We've got Kalani White and Tairon Ah-Mu in next year's draft who are both key position players which will help with our developing forwards and backs tall stocks.

With the obvious caveat that a lot can change in the space of a year, where do you see their draft range at the moment Daz? Sort of 15-35 for both?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dee Boys said:

With the obvious caveat that a lot can change in the space of a year, where do you see their draft range at the moment Daz? Sort of 15-35 for both?

It's so hard to tell to be honest mate.

From everything I have read and certainly speaking to development officers from more the metro areas, Tairon Ah-Mu could every bit be a a top 20 prospect especially with what he's done so far at Coates League level but also school footy as well.

For an under-age prospect he's dominated both levels which is an impressive feat in itself. 

He's a tall forward prospect who can pinch hit in the ruck. In one of the school footy games he played this year he played more ruck and yet still found a way to kick 4 goals and completely dominate on the day.

We do need to temper expectations though. We've seen so many times with kids that are physically bigger then most kids at junior level struggle at AFL level. I think of James Sellar for instance and I'm sure there are many more players similar. 

Kalani White I'm not too sure to be honest. I know he dominated all his junior footy back in QLD and I watched his under 15's game when they played at Lavington here for QLD and he was playing as a ruck who rested up forward.

He was obviously raw but he had the athletic traits like the old man. He's been playing down back but I preferred him as a ruckman/forward who's similar to Sam Darcy with his marking and athletic ability. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Love 1

45 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Kalani White I'm not too sure to be honest. I know he dominated all his junior footy back in QLD and I watched his under 15's game when they played at Lavington here for QLD and he was playing as a ruck who rested up forward.

He was obviously raw but he had the athletic traits like the old man. He's been playing down back but I preferred him as a ruckman/forward who's similar to Sam Darcy with his marking and athletic ability. 

judging by his role at the under 18s as a player playing 'up' and the word out of gold coast since, he's being modelled more on mac andrew and playing as a tall, athletic defender

it will be interesting to see what role he has in his draft year in 2025

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

It's so hard to tell to be honest mate.

From everything I have read and certainly speaking to development officers from more the metro areas, Tairon Ah-Mu could every bit be a a top 20 prospect especially with what he's done so far at Coates League level but also school footy as well.

For an under-age prospect he's dominated both levels which is an impressive feat in itself. 

He's a tall forward prospect who can pinch hit in the ruck. In one of the school footy games he played this year he played more ruck and yet still found a way to kick 4 goals and completely dominate on the day.

We do need to temper expectations though. We've seen so many times with kids that are physically bigger then most kids at junior level struggle at AFL level. I think of James Sellar for instance and I'm sure there are many more players similar. 

On Kalani's kicking, does he kick it like his old man? He was a beautiful kick, particularly for goal. I think nowadays, Jeff White would be a perfect key forward/second ruck.

I'd love Kalani to fill a KPD post, but I wouldn't be expecting that for a few years.

• Like 2

On 02/08/2024 at 15:54, Dr. Mubutu said:

Watch Demonland now go into meltdown

Haha, we just need ball winners. Sure, I'd love it if they were also elite by foot, but I'm more concerned with contest and I suspect JT will be too. 

Explosiveness from stoppage is something any midfield could use more of.

Edited by Binmans PA
  • Thanks 1

Whilst not as good by foot as Merrett, Draper’s not a bad kick, especially when he gets on the outside.

The more I see if Sam Lalor, the more intrigued I am by what he could become. Has serious power in his game.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, ChaserJ said:

Whilst not as good by foot as Merrett, Draper’s not a bad kick, especially when he gets on the outside.

The more I see if Sam Lalor, the more intrigued I am by what he could become. Has serious power in his game.

I'll check out Sam Lalor. I know it's an annoying question, but who does he play like in your opinion mate?

21 minutes ago, ChaserJ said:

Given we tried hard for Bailey Humphrey and even harder for Harley Reid it wouldn’t  be hard to see us going for Lalor. Good time to get in a Trac replacement 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

I'll check out Sam Lalor. I know it's an annoying question, but who does he play like in your opinion mate?

He’s in the De Goey, Dusty, Tracc, Rayner mold, hasn’t put a full season together this year so the midfield stuff is more potential, kind of much like Rayner now I guess.

Not sure you can pick him over a sure fire gun midfielder, but then again I’m not 100% convinced by any of the mids in this draft just yet. Lots of really good ones, not sure how many are high level difference makers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

He’s in the De Goey, Dusty, Tracc, Rayner mold, hasn’t put a full season together this year so the midfield stuff is more potential, kind of much like Rayner now I guess.

Not sure you can pick him over a sure fire gun midfielder, but then again I’m not 100% convinced by any of the mids in this draft just yet. Lots of really good ones, not sure how many are high level difference makers.

That's why I want two picks in the top 10-15 if we can manage it.

Then we could pick the potential Dusty/Trac and another surer player.

2 hours ago, ChaserJ said:

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

Just watched his highlights against the Allies. He seems a bit of a prototype JT pick in that he's hard at it and seems like a great tackler. Seems to read the play well too, is a nice relaxed kick, but what he offers that's maybe a little different to the rest of our mids except Trac, is he looks like he can go forward and finish in the forward half.

So @ChaserJ, we reckon he could go outside the top 10? Interesting.