Demonstone's Off-Season Offbeat Off The Wall Offering

Demonstone

It's oh so quiet on Demonland at the moment that you could imagine Bjork writing a song about it.

The footy season is over (we didn't win the flag), the trading period is done and dusted (we did well) and the National Draft awaits (we'll clean up).  Following that is the summer hiatus with only training reports to occupy our Demon minds.

Time then for another in the interminable series of brainteasers featuring a fictional team of past and present players who have been named mainly in their usual positions on the ground.

Five former MFC players have made the cut.

Like always, your challenge is to identify what links all these players.

Answers in a PM only please!

B:        Byron Pickett     Rex Hunt     Easton Wood

H/B:    Bachar Houli     Earl Spalding     Setanta O' hAilpin

C:        Stan Alves     Steele Sidebottom     Clive Waterhouse

H/F:     Rene Kink     Royce Hart     Winston Abraham

F:         Eddie Betts     Dermott Brereton     Cyril Rioli

R:        Carl Ditterich     Jaeger O'Meara     Touk Miller

I/C:      Orazio Fantasia     Jobe Watson     Majak Daw     Jamarra Ugle-Hagan

• Thinking 2

A couple of more answers have lobbed, neither of which is correct but both of which are in the right area.

Not all the players have unique first names nor are they always called by both names by commentators.

edit:  No further submissions have been received.  Will check back in a couple of hours.

Edited by Demonstone

This morning's mail reveals two more incorrect attempts.  These players didn't all have relatives who played AFL nor did they play for another club wearing the same jumper number.

Given the quiet nature of the site at the moment, I'll leave this going for a while longer.  I'll be away from the computer for a few hours and will post the answer this afternoon around 2pm.

Clue:  Focus on the players' first names.  Fabulous prizes still be won!

• Like 1

I'm pleased to report that several posters have had a go at cracking this, all to no avail however.

If prizes could be awarded for creativity and lateral thinking, there would be many, many winners.

Those incorrect responses include the following:

*  They are the names of horses

*  Their first names are unique in AFL/VFL

*  They all made their debut at the MCG (possibly correct)

*  Their first names all appear in titles of movies

*  None of the names contain the letter Q (true, but ...)

*  Their first names are culturally related to their surnames (eg. an elf called Stan, a German called Carl)

*  At least two of them have lent their names to rhyming slang (Rex Hunt & Royce Hart).  🤣

I'm taking Timothy's advice and leaving it open.  It would be a first for one of these teasers to go unsolved!

• Like 3

I've tried to connect them to Bjork, via Wikipedia, but I got lost at 'Listen to this...'

I battle on. Looking elsewhere for clues, I'm intrigued by the bracketed phrases in your 2nd para and/or 'fictional' in your 3rd...

A bit late to the party, glad to see it is still open.

Several times I've thought I have the answer using the first names then up crops an exception!😐

Any chance of another clue oh wise one😉

Some more incorrect answers to shrink the list of possibilities:

*  Their first names are not connected to company or corporation names

*  There is no connection to poets or poetry

*  Their first names, although some are most unusual, are not all unique (eg. Stan Alves/Stan Magro)

I'm not sure I can provide any further clues without giving the game away.  Let's just say that the solution may be said to border on the esoteric but I didn't think it would stump so many fine intellects.  The connection is not that they share a name with any group of people or that their names relate to any other entity.  There is an obscure hint in the OP.

One more suggestion has been lodged, but the answer unfortunately does not involve music.

Solution to be revealed Saturday morning (for real this time).  Let's get this baby to 500 views! 

First prize of a top ten draft pick of your choice is still on the table.

I hear the rolling of a drum, a *boom* swiftly followed by a *tish*.  Time for the reveal!

What the players in this team have in common is that they are all immediately recognisable by their first names only.

You could post the team just using first names and know who all the players are.

If I said my favourite former Demons were Byron, Earl, Stan, Carl and Majak, you'd know who I was talking about.

This teaser was a little off-piste (snow joke) which may have left some of you piste-off.

However, in soccer terms I've kept a clean sheet for the first time and I'll keep the prizes for myself.

Next brainteaser will be of an easier and more conventional nature, I promise.  :D

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Demonstone said:

I hear the rolling of a drum, a *boom* swiftly followed by a *tish*.  Time for the reveal!

What the players in this team have in common is that they are all immediately recognisable by their first names only.

You could post the team just using first names and know who all the players are.

If I said my favourite former Demons were Byron, Earl, Stan, Carl and Majak, you'd know who I was talking about.

This teaser was a little off-piste (snow joke) which may have left some of you piste-off.

However, in soccer terms I've kept a clean sheet for the first time and I'll keep the prizes for myself.

Next brainteaser will be of an easier and more conventional nature, I promise.  :D

After you kept me awake (unproductively!) last night, I've just sat down to give it one more hour before what I thought (don't know why) was going to be your midday reveal. '"Too late!" she cried!'

I had concluded it couldn't be a cultural commonality; no one in the cultural world could cross-reference to a 'Jamarra Ugle-Hagan'! Of the 3 broad forms of this flummoxing fun - sport, culture or wordplay - I was going with sport (hence my PM, but I reckon you should give me some credit for my Bjork pick-up therein!)

I do put an asterisk against a couple of your choices, though: "Big' Carl would have distinguished CD from (shudder) Karl Langdon, while (gag) Mr Magro has claims on SA's uniqueness.

Now, with all that sadly out of the way (till next time🙂), may I purloin your thread and post here a conundrum of my own? It's still in development but it should be ready later today.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demonstone said:

Interestingly exciting to attempt to unfold this quiz. Abstract, by all means. As for the clue about first names, I certainly couldn't see the wood for the trees! Nice one.

• Haha 1

Well (as foreshadowed) here's another ... for you all!

It came quicker than I thought (nagging feeling: has someone already done it??😟...) Anyway, pretty easy, I'm thinking!

You'll see Easton Wood has kept his place from @Demonstone's team, as reward for the idea EW gave me. And like 'Stone's team, mine is picked pretty much in their positions, I'm pleased to say!

Of the 18 starters, David Neitz is the slight odd one out. However, I couldn't leave our multi-record-holding Captain out of this team! As to the interchange bench, they're first gamers.

B:        Allan Morrow (Saints)     Darren Glass (Eagles)    Easton Wood (Bulldogs)

H/B:    David King (Kangaroos)     Nick Maxwell (Magpies)     Brad Hill (Saints)

C:        Neville Fields (Bombers)     Daniel Rich (Lions)     Michael Long (Bombers)

H/F:     Craig Bird (Swans)     Jack Darling (Eagles)     Daniel Cross (Bulldogs)

F:         Sam Day (Suns)     David Neitz (Demons)     Paul Dear (Hawks)

R:        Greg Dear (Hawks)     Simon Black (Lions)     Anthony Rock (Kangaroos)

I/C:      John Lord (Demons)     Jay Viney (Demons)     Robert Flower (Demons)     Will Minson (Bulldogs)

And the usual request: Answers in a PM only please!

• Like 1

The door prize (as in, for first through) has been collected by @La Dee-vina Comedia, but no trophy. Who else is out there?

22 hours ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

Well (as foreshadowed) here's another ... for you all!

It came quicker than I thought (nagging feeling: has someone already done it??😟...) Anyway, pretty easy, I'm thinking!

You'll see Easton Wood has kept his place from @Demonstone's team, as reward for the idea EW gave me. And like 'Stone's team, mine is picked pretty much in their positions, I'm pleased to say!

Of the 18 starters, David Neitz is the slight odd one out. However, I couldn't leave our multi-record-holding Captain out of this team! As to the interchange bench, they're first gamers.

B:        Allan Morrow (Saints)     Darren Glass (Eagles)    Easton Wood (Bulldogs)

H/B:    David King (Kangaroos)     Nick Maxwell (Magpies)     Brad Hill (Saints)

C:        Neville Fields (Bombers)     Daniel Rich (Lions)     Michael Long (Bombers)

H/F:     Craig Bird (Swans)     Jack Darling (Eagles)     Daniel Cross (Bulldogs)

F:         Sam Day (Suns)     David Neitz (Demons)     Paul Dear (Hawks)

R:        Greg Dear (Hawks)     Simon Black (Lions)     Anthony Rock (Kangaroos)

I/C:      John Lord (Demons)     Jay Viney (Demons)     Robert Flower (Demons)     Will Minson (Bulldogs)

And the usual request: Answers in a PM only please!

*BUMP*

🦗🦗

Anyone?

• Thinking 1

23 hours ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

*BUMP*

🦗🦗

Anyone?

*BUMPETY-BUMP*

We have a winner at last! Not altogether surprisingly, it's Mazer Rackham who has taken home the goldware, and I have suitably congratulated him by return PM.

The silverware and bronzeware is still available. Although I'm still hearing crickets, I ain't gonna give up on getting rid of it. So, to help, have a look at my first sentence for a 'clue' (or, on another view, not?!😉)

My next clue after that will be a current Power player who you might have thought would be one of the first picked (you'd be able to guess who, @Mazer Rackham?) 

1 hour ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Bombers to crash?

Hmmm...

But thanks for calling in and keeping this 'live'. A Merit Badge for you, my apparent contemporary!