Gus and Gawny is good sauce

DEE fence

Am a regular podcast listener, and while they do laugh a bit too hard at their own jokes, there are some real gems in there. It remains rough and the sponsorship segments make my skin crawl (I know they are a semi pi$$ take but still). But overall I love the roughness and relative honesty in a very cultured media landscape.

Off the cuff points I got out of some recent episodes:

1, So Fraser Rosman is the 3rd biggest kick in the club after May (and (Hunt’s 70m torp), was definitely excited to hear this.

2, They do give very big hints about team selection, Dunstan seemed a monty after listening.

3, You get a sense of dynamics between the players, they scratch the surface beyond sound bites about how players get along and I find that super interesting.

4, Max’s ability (and it is an incredible asset in a leader) to admit ignorance and learn (his grammar and general knowledge is woeful) is extraordinary, demonstrates humility and confidence in equal measure, truly amazing individual and that honesty of his is a really good way to get a bunch of different individuals around the same cause, cannot go on about this enough.   

5, Listening to stories involving other players / Sandy Dragons / I find super informative.

6, Gibby being the straight man, wish him every success seems a very decent human.

Anyone else there that thinks it is a good insight into clubland?

• Like 21
  • Love 2

Yes, I definitely think they give some great insights about their teammates. I enjoy listening to this podcast, found today’s episode amusing. The boys have been pretty much spot on with their ‘selection’ segment this season and by the sound of it Melksham was very close to getting a game this week.
Like hearing from quirky characters such as Hunt and Ed, Hunt’s draft story was an interesting one.

• Like 2

And why would there ever be any doubt about Gus staying. Listening and watching the lads each week is far more comforting than the click bait the media put out. These two are the heart and soul of our Premiership culture!

• Like 5
  • Love 6

I watched an episode where they were playing Who wants to be a Millionaire. Max had to answer a question about rivers and he butchered the names of all four answers, pronouncing the Danube as Danoobee, even though he'd been to Vienna where it runs through. 

• Haha 2
  • Thinking 1

37 minutes ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

I watched an episode where they were playing Who wants to be a Millionaire. Max had to answer a question about rivers and he butchered the names of all four answers, pronouncing the Danube as Danoobee, even though he'd been to Vienna where it runs through. 

And he says ‘f’ instead of ‘th’ (eg ‘bruvver’ instead of ‘brother’) which is something that anyone other than cockneys shouldn’t do. 😑

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

And he says ‘f’ instead of ‘th’ (eg ‘bruvver’ instead of ‘brother’) which is something that anyone other than cockneys shouldn’t do. 😑

Hi WCW. I've actually known people from as far west in London as Roehampton and as far east in Kent as Margate do the same so there are some outliers. Ormond isn't one of them though so I have no idea where Max picked it up from. 

Incidentally, in Ireland (I know you're Irish) they drop the h a lot and say ting instead of thing. I lived in Dublin for 5 years and enjoyed listening to the different accents. All accept one guy that worked in the mail room from somewhere north of the river who I could not understand a word of what he ever said. I couldn't have a conversation with him unless there was a third person with me to translate. It was like Klunk in that Stop the Pigeon cartoon with Dastardly & Muttley. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

Hi WCW. I've actually known people from as far west in London as Roehampton and as far east in Kent as Margate do the same so there are some outliers. Ormond isn't one of them though so I have no idea where Max picked it up from. 

Incidentally, in Ireland (I know you're Irish) they drop the h a lot and say ting instead of thing. I lived in Dublin for 5 years and enjoyed listening to the different accents. All accept one guy that worked in the mail room from somewhere north of the river who I could not understand a word of what he ever said. I couldn't have a conversation with him unless there was a third person with me to translate. It was like Klunk in that Stop the Pigeon cartoon with Dastardly & Muttley. 

For teenagers in the 1970s proper diction was totes uncool. Dropping the ‘g’ from the end of words and substituting ‘v’ or ‘f’ for ‘th’ was the done thing. That’s why I’m surprised that someone of Maxy’s age does it.  
And as for the Irish replacing ‘th’ with ‘t’ this is the one reason that imo the Irish accent can never be considered sexy. It’s too comical. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

For teenagers in the 1970s proper diction was totes uncool. Dropping the ‘g’ from the end of words and substituting ‘v’ or ‘f’ for ‘th’ was the done thing. That’s why I’m surprised that someone of Maxy’s age does it.  
And as for the Irish replacing ‘th’ with ‘t’ this is the one reason that imo the Irish accent can never be considered sexy. It’s too comical. 

Maybe he doesn’t talk like that on purpose, maybe it’s just a speech impediment? Like having a lisp 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Smokey said:

Maybe he doesn’t talk like that on purpose, maybe it’s just a speech impediment? Like having a lisp 

Perhaps. I’m no expert but I personally have never known anyone who speaks this way other than by habit. 
Maybe it’s because his parent/s spoke like this. I know an 18yo who does this and I’m sure it’s coz his dad who’s in his 50s speaks this way. 
btw, by no means am I bagging Maxy. It’s just an interesting observation. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Call Me What You Will said:

And why would there ever be any doubt about Gus staying. Listening and watching the lads each week is far more comforting than the click bait the media put out. These two are the heart and soul of our Premiership culture!

Agree, all though, there was actually an intersection between the podcast and the click bait a few weeks back https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/melbourne-demons/afl-2022-angus-brayshaw-on-trade-rumours-to-west-coast-eagles-fremantle-dockers-melbourne-demons-free-agency-out-of-contract-max-gawn-whispers-news-latest/news-story/6bf630d2b1cf4e5eddbda56d43f7a6b7

Would rather eat a steaming plate of my own...’: Demons star Brayshaw’s cheeky response to Eagles trade link

Generally I find Gus and Gawny to be the perfect ballance for each other background wise and both come across as possessing pretty high emotional intelligence.

Listening to the buy-in he regularly exprrsses on the show, if Gus was to leave at this point, he would have run a way bigger and more convincing foil than even the master of "I'd like to be a one club player" Tom $cully.  If Gus did ever swing towards leaving for reasons of his own, he comes across as the sort of mature high integrity person that would start openly delivering a honest message about where he was at with the club rather than the subtuflarge we got from $cully.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DEE fence said:

Am a regular podcast listener, and while they do laugh a bit too hard at their own jokes, there are some real gems in there. It remains rough and the sponsorship segments make my skin crawl (I know they are a semi pi$$ take but still). But overall I love the roughness and relative honesty in a very cultured media landscape.

Off the cuff points I got out of some recent episodes:

1, So Fraser Rosman is the 3rd biggest kick in the club after May (and (Hunt’s 70m torp), was definitely excited to hear this.

2, They do give very big hints about team selection, Dunstan seemed a monty after listening.

3, You get a sense of dynamics between the players, they scratch the surface beyond sound bites about how players get along and I find that super interesting.

4, Max’s ability (and it is an incredible asset in a leader) to admit ignorance and learn (his grammar and general knowledge is woeful) is extraordinary, demonstrates humility and confidence in equal measure, truly amazing individual and that honesty of his is a really good way to get a bunch of different individuals around the same cause, cannot go on about this enough.   

5, Listening to stories involving other players / Sandy Dragons / I find super informative.

6, Gibby being the straight man, wish him every success seems a very decent human.

Anyone else there that thinks it is a good insight into clubland?

Yeah, I generally love the show for all the aforementioned reasons as well.  I do find it can be a bit long at times and I struggle a bit keeping up to date, but generally great listening.

Do really like the very candid interviews they get with all the big name personalities around the club as well.  Choco, Yze were great and I even found they were able to present Jack Viney as having a personality 🤣😉.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

the Irish accent can never be considered sexy.

My lovely google directions lady (from Cork I suspect) suggests otherwise to me. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Webber said:

My lovely google directions lady (from Cork I suspect) suggests otherwise to me. 

She’s not real. 😁

Besides, I was actually referring to Irish men. 

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, DEE fence said:

1, So Fraser Rosman is the 3rd biggest kick in the club after May (and (Hunt’s 70m torp), was definitely excited to hear this

Max must be a very close fourth.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

. I lived in Dublin for 5 years and enjoyed listening to the different accents. All accept one guy that worked in the mail room from somewhere north of the river who I could not understand a word of what he ever said. I couldn't have a conversation with him unless there was a third person with me to translate.

Haha. This was my experience-lite. I spent a period in the Southeast in the home-town of an Irish partner. Quite often I would have to turn her to translate when your man was chatting to me at a bar. Then when we travelled to the Southwest, I would often turn to her and she would just shrug, and turn to a fourth person to translate, who I couldn't understand either, so she would relay the response to me and I would answer your man and he would immediately respond and around we'd go again. Such a strange concept for an Australian not being able to understand a fellow countryperson speaking the same language. But such is the wild diversity of accents, we also spent a couple hours in a bar in the Aran Islands before even realising the reason that we couldn't both understand anyone was because they were actually talking to us in Gaelic. 

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Skuit said:

Haha. This was my experience-lite. I spent a period in the Southeast in the home-town of an Irish partner. Quite often I would have to turn her to translate when your man was chatting to me at a bar. Then when we travelled to the Southwest, I would often turn to her and she would just shrug, and turn to a fourth person to translate, who I couldn't understand either, so she would relay the response to me and I would answer your man and he would immediately respond and around we'd go again. Such a strange concept for an Australian not being able to understand a fellow countryperson speaking the same language. But such is the wild diversity of accents, we also spent a couple hours in a bar in the Aran Islands before even realising the reason that we couldn't both understand anyone was because they were actually talking to us in Gaelic. 

That's brilliant Skuit. I found that the further north and south you got away from Dublin the sillier the accents became. Cork and Ulster being the extremes. My girlfriend at the time was dutch so I didn't have a translator at my beck and call like you but she did have a bit of an Irish accent courtesy of a six month stint working at a bar called the Horseshoe down in Kenmare a year or two before we met. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

That's brilliant Skuit. I found that the further north and south you got away from Dublin the sillier the accents became. Cork and Ulster being the extremes. My girlfriend at the time was dutch so I didn't have a translator at my beck and call like you but she did have a bit of an Irish accent courtesy of a six month stint working at a bar called the Horseshoe down in Kenmare a year or two before we met. 

I didn't venture into Northern Ireland (County Donegal was the closest I got), but the Cork region was definitely the most challenging as to accents - and only about 100 kms from my partner's hometown. I'm currently staying in the Northern Territory: people travel further than that just to buy milk. 

• Like 1

We just watched Gus & Gawney & Gibby, good sense of humour between them and I thought that Hunt was very candid with a touch of humour and eccentricity. They provide a bit of an insight into the players and what they get up to at our club.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Call Me What You Will said:

I listened to Dyl and Friends of which Brayshaw was a guest last week. I would genuinely be shocked if he left. He said everything you want to hear with exception to the saying the actual  words / or signing the paperwork. It seems to be a formality of waiting for the new CBA. 

Edited by CYB
  • Like 2