Splitting Draft Pick 3

Demon3

POLL  

259 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, Dee tention said:

If we acquired Picks 11, 13 and a Daniels/Player. 

I would be trading 11 & 13 for Ben King along with a pick to acquire Amon (2nd or 3rd rounder).

We have the opportunity to fill in a lot of positions this trade/draft period. 

Key forward, small forward and 2 wingman done...

I rate Daniels, would be happy with 11, 13 and Daniels and a swap of later picks. 

Daniels is exactly what we need. 

• Like 3

It's interesting because if it's a question of who we'd take pick 3 vs two other picks i think we'd take Lachie Ash early because he fits exactly what we need.  but he may well be there anyway if we downgraded to pick 7ish and then we'd get another pick to go with it. 

Beauty of this is we hold the whip hand to a greater or lesser degree

GW$ want a gun at #3 (presuming a pointy end priority pick) and to use significantly later picks than 11 and 13 to match the Green bid, which would seem certain to come at #4 from the crows

This is a real opportunity to maximise our return

Likely outcome:

GC get priority pick 2 but have to trade it for a player 

GC trade pick 2 to GWS for picks and a player as steak knives

GC agree not to bid for Young as a part of the deal

Gil’s 2 expansion teams win out to the rest of the comp again!

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

Beauty of this is we hold the whip hand to a greater or lesser degree

GW$ want a gun at #3 (presuming a pointy end priority pick) and to use significantly later picks than 11 and 13 to match the Green bid, which would seem certain to come at #4 from the crows

This is a real opportunity to maximise our return

GWS just want to hold onto an early pick and Green, Carlton and Sydney have made it known they'll bid on green and that will push their picks way back. I reckon we could look at Bonar or ohallaran as well as the picks. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gawn's Beard said:

Likely outcome:

This would land us Anderson which works for me.

19 minutes ago, Gawn's Beard said:

Likely outcome:

The AFL will do everything they can to get Rowell and Anderson to the GC so there'll be no trade requirements attached. I think we should have gone to the AFL and told them if we get pick 2 then we'll trade it to GC so they get that outcome and we'd take King and the last first they'll have, no split required then

GCS entire argument to get pick 2 is so they can draft Anderson at 2 and help to retain both as they're good friends, they're not trading pick 2. 

I still think Ben King is gettable. but he'd likely cost us pick 3 which personally i'd be willing to pay. i'd say he's better than anyone in the draft pool besides the top 2.

• Like 6

On 8/28/2019 at 9:30 AM, Red and Blue realist said:

Yeah but it wouldn't be a straight swap. For instance if we swapped pick 3 for picks 13 & 15 from GWS (after PP and academy picks) then we could swap pick 15, 41 & 59 for Langdon and Freo's 2nd (pick 26). Freo have Henry who lets say gets bid on at pick 20, they'll need 715 points for him, pick 41 & 59 combined are worth around 570 so they'd only have to go into deficet a minimal amount next year while keeping an early pick (Hill/Kelly trades pending). While we'd get Langdon and go to the draft with 13, 22 & 26.  

I’m not even sure how stupid we would have to be to be ok with this

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Demon Forever said:

Who mentioned trading for Tomlinson? He wants to come back to Victoria and maybe thrown in as steak knives in any such deal. Derrrr! Obviously English is not a strong point of yours

Haha, you said it? We'd split the picks for GWS's picks + Tomlinson? If we split our pick for GWS's picks then we'll be getting another player as well, and we could also get Tomlinson as a free agent separate to that, but not part of it, that would be stupid

Edited by Red and Blue realist

1 hour ago, Red and Blue realist said:

Haha, you said it? We'd split the picks for GWS's picks + Tomlinson? If we split our pick for GWS's picks then we'll be getting another player as well, and we could also get Tomlinson as a free agent separate to that, but not part of it, that would be stupid

Giving GWS picks 15, 41 and 59 for Ed Langdon is down right stupid for only a 2nd round pick. Langdon should be done for pick 20 or whatever that turns into. I get what your trying to do but that is way over the odds. 

aiden bonar would be the logical third part of the 3 = 12 + 14 + X equation, given that he's rumoured to have been wanting to get out of gw$ as quick as he can - doesn't / won't have the opportunity to play as a mid in their line-up, more than likely, and has regularly dominated at (that admittedly significantly) lower level in two seasons, averaging 20.1 possessions, 2.3 marks, 6.2 tackles, and kicking 17.13 in 29 games

neafl stats: https://www.neafl.com.au/season/players/1004894

official bio:

Born to a Scottish father and Papua New Guinean mother, Aiden Bonar became a GIANT with the club’s first pick at the 2017 NAB AFL Draft (pick 11). Bonar is a powerfully built, versatile tall who excels at stoppages and has a burst of speed away from congestion. He is strong overhead and very competitive and after overcoming two ACL injuries during his junior football career. Bonar had an impressive debut season in 2018, kicking five goals in four games.

scouting profile from draft central:

Inside Midfielder/General Forward (Haileybury College/Dandenong Stingrays)
08/03/1999 | 188.6cm | 86.5kg

Scouting notes: Build like a brick sh!thouse. After recovering from two knee surgeries after his first ACL graft didn’t take, Bonar has presence about him around the ground, mostly playing up forward as a third tall – but has pushed into the midfield for longer periods with each game he plays. His pressure is very good and he can lay bone crunching tackles. Has a good burst of speed and is strong overhead. Suggestion is he’ll end up a full time midfielder. Possesses a big upside.

Strengths: Kicking, acceleration, X-Factor, versatility
Improvements:  Endurance, consistency

Combine test results: 20m Sprint (secs)  2.90 | Agility (secs)  8.30 | Yo-Yo Test (level) 20.5

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Far out, Tomlinson is an RFA. He won’t he used as part of a trade or thrown in as ‘steak knives’. 

So talk me through it. Maybe I’ve got this whole RFA wrong. RFA means that another club can get him but GWS can match the offer considering he is in the top 25% pay bracket at the club. Right? If this is the case, couldn’t GWS manoeuvre it to allow him to come to MELBOURNE?

2 minutes ago, Demon Forever said:

So talk me through it. Maybe I’ve got this whole RFA wrong. RFA means that another club can get him but GWS can match the offer considering he is in the top 25% pay bracket at the club. Right? If this is the case, couldn’t GWS manoeuvre it to allow him to come to MELBOURNE?

In relation to your first question I think you’re pretty much correct. 

In attempting to answer your second question are you thinking along the lines of: He nominates Melbourne and we offer him a contract however GWS match the offer and force a trade?