Not sticking up for Max

Who cares, game was over at this point. Why waste the energy and risk any suspensions. what would you reaction have been if someone flew the flag and we ended up yet another player down next week? All the fake macho tough-guy behavior without the ensuing fight is the most pathetic aspect of the game these days. 

Back in the day when they actually belted each other, the intimidation factor was a tangible part of the game. These days when they push each other when a bloke is already on his [censored], knowing that the bloke can't get up and belt them in return, makes for some pretty cowardly and pathetic displays of "aggression" which I find mostly embarrassing for the sport these days. 

Stop pretending its still the physical game it once was, it isn't. Stop thinking that "flying the flag" these days actually means anything, cause it really doesn't. 

13 minutes ago, Smokey said:

Who cares, game was over at this point. Why waste the energy and risk any suspensions. what would you reaction have been if someone flew the flag and we ended up yet another player down next week? All the fake macho tough-guy behavior without the ensuing fight is the most pathetic aspect of the game these days. 

Back in the day when they actually belted each other, the intimidation factor was a tangible part of the game. These days when they push each other when a bloke is already on his [censored], knowing that the bloke can't get up and belt them in return, makes for some pretty cowardly and pathetic displays of "aggression" which I find mostly embarrassing for the sport these days. 

Stop pretending its still the physical game it once was, it isn't. Stop thinking that "flying the flag" these days actually means anything, cause it really doesn't. 

The game wasn’t over at this point Smokey, scores were level when Ryan took the mark. I do  agree with you on the wasting energy part. It would have been extremely frustrating if we had remonstrated and gave them another shot at goal with the game still in the balance. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

The game wasn’t over at this point Smokey, scores were level when Ryan took the mark. I do  agree with you on the wasting energy part. It would have been extremely frustrating if we had remonstrated and gave them another shot at goal with the game still in the balance. 

If you watched the entire game, and know our team, the game was over as soon he took that mark. FWIW I thought we played really well all day, goal kicking accuracy killed us is all. 

• Like 1

To be fair I thought I knew our team well enough that we were well and truly done when Gold Coast goaled with a minute to play last week.

Edited by Fork 'em

On 5/20/2019 at 12:13 PM, dazzledavey36 said:

We are not exactly in a position to lose player for 1 ot 2 weeks max. Im sure if you ask Gawn, he would say the exact same thing.

The incident and its roll-out are typical of the freedom from umpiring rules and restraints that are exploited by the Eagles. At the end of the day, one has to admire Gawn, yet again, for what he puts up with week by week, severe or less severe, and how he manages his rage, retribution and sense of fair play. The man is already a Demon legend for the very best of reasons and will continue to be so until his body says 'no more, sorry'. Goodwin, bring in Preuss as a relief and backstop to be there if anyone from an opposition team wishes to carry on with endangering the career of a footballing champion and his mojo. 

7 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

It set off a chain of aggro and it really fired up the team.  And the aggro was all legal.

Can't help but think had the someone done the same after the Smith incident it would have fired the team up.  We may have even won.  There was no sting in our game vs WCE so when the low life Vardy went for Max most players did nothing - in fact it was the 'juniors' who stood up for him. 

Wouldn't have minded Jones, Viney or Harmes putting some physicality into Vardy at the next center bounce or two or lay a few heavy tackles and fall over him by accident.

It was needed and did not occur. Provides some confidence in our younger brigade and their futures. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, binman said:

Fair dinkum I'm getting fed up with this sort or rubbish.

The way so many so called demon fans on this site insult omac is simply pathetic.

This (ridiculous) thread is about teamates not sticking up for max. One of the players that reacts is omac, but still he's not immune from critisism. Our he man that everyone was drooling over pre season gets suspended in a practice game for being a stupid faux tough guy and misses round 1 and who knows costs us the game. 

Did you watch the game? Meek? Omac attacked contest after contest and despite the fears of darling and Kennedy rag rolling him more than held his own. Laid some big tackles and got smashed plenty of times too. 

And unlike Frost didn't make any brain dead errors, turnovers  or clangers that cost us goals or chances  to clear our defence.

Don't believe me? Go look at omac's video of his involvement on  statspro on tbe AFL website. His best game for the season. Joeboy even called it serviceable, which for him is akin to saying very good game.

How about posters  get around the young fella, who as is pointed out above is only 23. Still young for a KPD. Many seem to love Sam Collins for gc. Instructive he us older (just) than omac and was towelled up by tmac against us and I think cost them the game.

Love him, hate him, ambivalent or simply don't think he is up to the job at least be happy we have him in the side atm while his two highly paid teammates sit out with injury, one for being an undisciplined peanut who despite being a so called leader didn't think to ask his new club what their expectations were for him in terms of getting ready for preseason. Now that's meek.

10 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Save your breath, binman.  Some posters have a near pathological dislike for a player.  Sadly, Oscar is one.

In nearly every thread they find a way to abuse their particular whipping boy.  Then all the cohorts jump in.  The same posters with the same comments.  Thread after thread, week after week, ad nauseam.  

They get some weird joy from cracking their whip at every opportunity.  Its sad and sick.  I just hope they aren't using the player's personal twitter, instagram etc to voice their vitriol.

I think you are taking my comments way too far.   As I stated in my post, far from hang it on a pepetual whipping boy I have significantly defended Oscar over the years and if you were to go back over my posts, I think you would see that.  I do believe Oscar has shown some good footballing traits and potential over the journey thus far.  I honestly didn't notice Oscar do all the brave things you mentioned against West Coast (neither denying or agreeing), but my observation was based more on the way he has played over the course of this year and that feeble push off was emblematic.  The game he was dropped after, he looked totally bereif of confidence and yes he has been slightly better since he was dropped.

But physicality and intimidation does count for somewhat of a physiological edge or weakness against opponents and I recon that it's an area that Oscar is significantly lacking right now.  That "line in the sand" match for Hawthorn represented a turning point in their self beleif as a team and were respected by their opposition.  Oscar isn't the fresh 19 yo any more and thus I have higher expections and I'm really wanting him to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and become a solid dependable part of our defense.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

I think you are taking my comments way too far.   As I stated in my post, far from hang it on a pepetual whipping boy I have significantly defended Oscar over the years and if you were to go back over my posts, I think you would see that.  I do believe Oscar has shown some good footballing traits and potential over the journey thus far.  I honestly didn't notice Oscar do all the brave things you mentioned against West Coast (neither denying or agreeing), but my observation was based more on the way he has played over the course of this year and that feeble push off was emblematic.  The game he was dropped after, he looked totally bereif of confidence and yes he has been slightly better since he was dropped.

But physicality and intimidation does count for somewhat of a physiological edge or weakness against opponents and I recon that it's an area that Oscar is significantly lacking right now.  That "line in the sand" match for Hawthorn represented a turning point in their self beleif as a team and were respected by their opposition.  Oscar isn't the fresh 19 yo any more and thus I have higher expections and I'm really wanting him to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and become a solid dependable part of our defense.

Sorry, I wasn't thinking of you when I wrote the comment to 'binman' (which is why I didn't directly quote him) as your comments are generally quite fair.

My post was more a frustration with some posters who have a go at Oscar, Petracca, Garlett etc at every  opportunity and repeat the same vitriol in many threads week after week. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Deemania since 56 said:

At the end of the day, one has to admire Gawn, yet again, for what he puts up with week by week,

Why....  If Gawn,  stood up for himself more,  our side would all walk taller.

It shouldn't be,  for all our players to stickup for one,  who doesn't stick up for himself......   They should all Fly the Flag...  and stick up for one another.

It's an indictment,  that Max is not more aggressive,  on field.

16 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

I am aware that I seldom have much faith in OMac and this has been the case for several years now.

That has been a very long learning period, in my opinion, despite his tender age as a KPD.

Physicality and area control, alongside speed and engagement in the tougher stuff are the reasons for my hesitation with him. However, I must concede and do concede that in the match against WCoast he was useful most of the time; he put in his best effort and result, proving to be effective in that game and determined.

Albeit praiseworthy with a pinch of scepticism, I still retain hope that he does become a dependable KPD as you state, RbG, and I, too, have higher expectations than what has been displayed so far this year - it ruffles my tolerance of waiting, waiting, waiting for this to occur when what we need is something far more reliable and attacking. 

On 5/21/2019 at 4:10 PM, Deemania since 56 said:

It was needed and did not occur. Provides some confidence in our younger brigade and their futures. 

I think this story shows exactly what is required,  & should have occurred,  in the face of this intimidation,  and total lack of respect for Maxy...  and for our Jumper.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-24/blues-lack-of-response-to-mummy-hit-addressed-in-playersonly-meeting

• Like 2