Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

AFLX Revamped

Demonland

51 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I understand the concept. I know what the AFL want to do. I just don’t like it because the product is cheap and Americanised, and if any players get injured playing this Crap, i hope the AFL get sued. 

Given time,  AFLX will find its target audience and could well be a going concern.  I may be wrong but I've already come across a number of people that like the concept (no wrinklies)

So prepare yourself Wyl ... your worst nightmare may come to fruition.

1 minute ago, FarNorthernD said:

A number of people in the AFL comments section have pointed out Dangerfield’s hypocrisy in all this. Of the 280+ comments when I saw it this morning there was not one in favour. Literally not one. 

Just to clarify, do you mean not one supported Dangerfield or not one supported the AFLX concept?

4 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Just to clarify, do you mean not one supported Dangerfield or not one supported the AFLX concept?

Yep sorry. Out of 280+ comments there was not one comment that supported this abortion of an idea that is AFLX

https://mobile.twitter.com/AFL/status/1074212533379072000?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1074212533379072000&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.afl.com.au%2Fnews%2F2018-12-16%2Ffour-aflx-captains-reveal-their-team-logos

Edited by FarNorthernD
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I would be interested in regular updates as your younger family members grow up to see whether AFLX retains their interest and/or whether you believe their support for AFLX diminishes their support of the traditional game. That last point is, to me, the biggest problem with AFLX. I still think for all its support, cricket's BBL may ultimately damage the main product.

Will keep you posted, if the format survives. I suspect a lot of the backlash are not in the demographic that this is aimed at. They got a decent crowd last time (at the Etihad games anyway). I don't know what the TV numbers were like. If they get a decent crowd this time and the TV numbers stack up then I don't see why it wouldn't continue. If the concept continues it will be interesting to see whether the kids will continue to support it as they grow up.

Despite the silliness of the superhero theme I believe that the representative concept is a better angle to go down than club vs club. They can even switch up the themes from year to year, even do state of origin series.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demonland said:

I remember as a kid watching State of Origin and wishing we had more representatives. I guess as a kid you don't look at the bigger picture that these games could potentially cost you a premiership.

When i was kid we were so far away from a premiership that i measured success in how many state players we had. It was form of positive affirmation that despite spending most seasons closer to the spoon than a flag we were ok.

I loved watching Robbie play for the Big V and loved how well he always played and the effort he put in. In those days, with few replays, let alone live telecasts, of the dees i reveled in the fact that the fans of other clubs could actually see for themselves how damn good he was.   

On replays i have fond(ish) memories of the fake/canned crowd noise used when one camera highlights were shown when a game that had not been telecast/replayed (which was all bar one or two) was being reviewed on WOS (and the Winners on the ABC?).

Edited by binman
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, LADemon said:

I actually like the concept of AFLX. Mind you it can never replace the main game but I think people should give it a chance. There is a lot of misplaced hysterics online about this concept with many people claiming that they didn't even watch it.

The other bit is why so many are so surprised.  This is what the AFL do ... we've got footy in every State & Territory and now they are looking at expanding their horizons.

First tried in the 60's with the Galahs and then at various times in Canada,  the UK and elsewhere.

That didn't work so they've embarked on a totally new concept.  Those opposed can please themselves.

52 minutes ago, Macca said:

The other bit is why so many are so surprised.  This is what the AFL do ... we've got footy in every State & Territory and now they are looking at expanding their horizons.

First tried in the 60's with the Galahs and then at various times in Canada,  the UK and elsewhere.

That didn't work so they've embarked on a totally new concept.  Those opposed can please themselves.

Don't disagree with the concept but why not trial it at VFL and AFLW level. Similarly get the kids playing at school etc. Even bring a team or two from overseas if the scheduling allows.

Then if and when the momentum and demand are there move it to the seniors level.

It would also have the benefit of giving the VFL players exposure similar to the big bash.

At the moment it just has too much of a gimmick factor to it and is heading for a flash in the pan type destiny. I could be wrong but it just seems to me they have the cart before the horse.

PS: I particularly like the idea of playing on a rectangular field but why play it at Docklands where the crowd is then miles from the action.

My first game at AAMI park during the Soccer Asian Cup blew my mind at how close you could be to the action.

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Don't disagree with the concept but why not trial it at VFL and AFLW level. Similarly get the kids playing at school etc. Even bring a team or two from overseas if the scheduling allows.

Then if and when the momentum and demand are there move it to the seniors level.

It would also have the benefit of giving the VFL players exposure similar to the big bash.

I don't disagree with this in theory but I doubt there would be any interest of people watching it at VFL and AFLW level. Those competitions are already struggling to bring in viewers.

100% agree that they should be getting kids to play it at school if they want to grow the concept. By THEY I mean the AFL should be actively getting into schools, perhaps even using actual AFL players, doesn't have to be the stars of the game, to come to the schools. Don't all players have to do a certain amount of "community" service?

For the AFLX to succeed on the big stage they need the Dangerfields and Reiwolts, Fyfes and Betts and other stars in order to generate interest. That's why I think they ditched the club vs club of unknowns. It can only work as a showcase of the best.

Having said that I stand by not wanting any gun Demons playing for fear of injury.

As a concept though I am fully aware that it can only succeed if the best of the best are on display. No one is interested in seeing a bunch of rookies contest. No offence to the rookies intended.

24 minutes ago, Demonland said:

I stand by not wanting any gun Demons playing for fear of injury.

As a concept though I am fully aware that it can only succeed if the best of the best are on display. No one is interested in seeing a bunch of rookies contest. No offence to the rookies intended.

But you can’t have it both ways. You want to see Topline Players competing in this thing, but no MFC Players. 

You can bet most supporters will feel exactly the same way. “But don’t use our players...”

just wait until a Reiwolt or a Dangerfield does a knee or breaks a serious bone playing this Summer Marvel Cartoon thing...

And let’s hope it aint a Demon

Edited by Sir Why You Little
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

But you can’t have it both ways. You want to see Topline Players competing ing this thing, but no MFC Players. 

You can bet most supporters will feel exactly the same way. “But don’t use our players...”

just wait until a Reiwolt or a Dangerfield does a knee or breaks a serious bone playing this Summer Marvel Cartoon thing...

And let’s hope it aint a Demon

That's not what I'm saying.

Personally I don't want any Demons playing for fear of injury. That's unrealistic (not having at least one or 2 or 3 Dees in a four team 10 man a team comp) so my preference is no AFLX.

Those feelings aside my personal belief is that the only way the CONCEPT of AFLX succeeding is to have top line AFL stars playing it.

1 minute ago, Demonland said:

That's not what I'm saying.

Personally I don't want any Demons playing for fear of injury. That's unrealistic (not having at least one or 2 or 3 Dees in a four team 10 man a team comp) so my preference is no AFLX.

Those feelings aside my personal belief is that the only way the CONCEPT of AFLX succeeding is to have top line AFL stars playing it.

So we have to sacrifice our 2-3 players for this blazè Quasi American experiment to maybe work. 

If the product was good enough it should survive on its own merits. 

Time will tell. But if a Demon is badly injured you have been forwarned SWYL will not be in a good space!!!

3 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

So we have to sacrifice our 2-3 players for this blazè Quasi American experiment to maybe work. 

If the product was good enough it should survive on its own merits. 

Time will tell. But if a Demon is badly injured you have been forwarned SWYL will not be in a good space!!!

I don't want our players playing either but taking the emotion out of it AFLX can only succeed with the best of the best playing.

If AFLX is on TV no-one wants to watch no names.

Just now, Demonland said:

I don't want our players playing either but taking the emotion out of it AFLX can only succeed with the best of the best playing.

So it shouldn’t be played. The risks are too high

My point from the beginning.

I don’t barrack for the AFL, i barrack for the MFC. 

This AFLX thing will not help us win Flags, but it may get Gill a Bonus....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Diamond_Jim said:

At the moment it just has too much of a gimmick factor to it and is heading for a flash in the pan type destiny. I could be wrong but it just seems to me they have the cart before the horse.

PS: I particularly like the idea of playing on a rectangular field but why play it at Docklands where the crowd is then miles from the action.

My first game at AAMI park during the Soccer Asian Cup blew my mind at how close you could be to the action.

For the concept to have a chance of working the stars need to be front and centre.

Agree on the stadiums but the AFL now own Docklands with that whole 'Marvel' thing to boot.

We play less practice games now and there is no longer a pre-season cup so these tackle-free AFLX games are in some ways replacement games.  A chance for the stars to show off their skills without all the congestion.

16 minutes ago, Demonland said:

T20 came from the English Counties... so the other way may be possible. I liked the community feel of the early AFLW.

Seems that the AFL want an immediate television success which perhaps explains the approach.

3 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

T20 came from the English Counties... so the other way may be possible. I liked the community feel of the early AFLW.

Seems that the AFL want an immediate television success which perhaps explains the approach.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$’s

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Agree with this, it makes more sense to me...

I don't disagree with this in theory but I doubt there would be any interest of people watching it at VFL and AFLW level. Those competitions are already struggling to bring in viewers.

So was the Sheffield Shield 'Demonland' and it's been on the back of those players that the big bash has flourished.

Many of the current BBL players would never had been heard of it they stayed playing shield or local level cricket. Now some of them are household names in the game.

If they get the game right and bring in a couple of ex champion players on big coin to supplement VFL listed players (like the BBL have with the likes of Warne)  it could work.

I don't like the current concept at all, it brings nothing but the chance of injury to key players.

• Like 1

Not 100% sure that is true.

The BBL is referenced a bit in relation to the aflx. In particular in that is focused on entertainment and a young audience. A young non discerning audience who, understandably, love color, slogs, fire, mascots, bright uniforms and electric bails.

But truth be known the BBL is a feeble replica of the IPL. The standard is poor and few top 50  cricketers in the world are involved. Each team has multiple club level players who can't make state sides. And a couple of blokes retired from international cricket who are passed their use by date (hogg played until he was mid 40s iirc)

Yet it grows every year. Because its target audience are kids and few of them are cricket purists. 

The AFLX could use young players  (maybe the best under 21s not yet drafted), the best of the state leagues and a handful of recently retired afl players (make one the captain). Money and the incentive to show their wares might make games competitive and serve the purpose of introducing potential players to a wider audience. 

Edited by binman
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, rjay said:

I don't like the current concept at all, it brings nothing but the chance of injury to key players.

The injury risk is overplayed considering that any player can get injured anytime,  anywhere.  The AFLX games are as much an injury risk as simulated training and way less a risk than practice games or the real stuff.  And we play less practice games these days so the overall injury risk has lessened anyway.

Did you watch AFLX last year rjay?  I did and the games were like touch football with very little tackling and almost zero congestion.  And there was very little chance of fatigue injuries when considering how short & sharp the contests were

As for the appeal of the concept,  whatever floats your boat I say so if AFLX gains a large audience,  so be it. 

Edited by Macca

58 minutes ago, binman said:

The BBL is referenced a bit in relation to the aflx. In particular in that is focused on entertainment and a young audience. A young non discerning audience who, understandably, love color, slogs, fire, mascots, bright uniforms and electric bails.

But truth be known the BBL is a feeble replica of the IPL. The standard is poor and few top 50  cricketers in the world are involved. Each team has multiple club level players who can't make state sides. And a couple of blokes retired from international cricket who are passed their use by date (hogg played until he was mid 40s iirc)

Yet it grows every year. Because its target audience are kids and few of them are cricket purists. 

The AFLX could use young players  (maybe the best under 21s not yet drafted), the best of the state leagues and a handful of recently retired afl players (make one the captain). Money and the incentive to show their wares might make games competitive and serve the purpose of introducing potential players to a wider audience.

There are a few major differences between both the BBL & AFLX though BM.

t20 was already successful on the world stage when the Big Bash was launched so it was always going to get a captive audience.  AFLX is starting from ground zero so it needs the stars playing to have a good chance of succeeding. 

The comparisons for me lay with the demographics that both forms of sport are vying for ... and that's why there is so much opposition - especially here on this site. 

Old school,  old ideals and old values vs New Age.   That's why the debate rages and will continue to rage.   Seen it before a stack of times in various sports including cricket and horse racing.  On that,  NSW racing is aggressively challenging the Victorian stronghold and a lot in Victoria don't like it.  Bring it on I say.  The more competition,  the better.

Edited by Macca

41 minutes ago, binman said:

AFLX is still going to need some big name players to make it a success. That's why the AFL have "coaxed" Patrick "the season is too long" Dangerfield and the other stars to be the faces of it.

I get the whole genesis of BBL starting in the minor leagues but AFL does not have the same issues as the game of long form cricket.

There is not a need to rejuvenate the game and in order for the AFL to fasttrack this idea they need stars. They don't have the time to grow this game in the minors because the game is not broken for the minor leagues to be able to bring people over to the concept. The only way to ingratiate the audience is to give them the stars.

The AFL have to do it in the reverse of the way the BBL started because they're not coming from the same starting line even though the AFL want AFLX to be the BBL of Aussie Rules.