Where to watch the big game...

red and blue forever

44 minutes ago, red and blue forever said:

can anyone recommend a good pub in Melbourne to watch the game?

is there a good Melbourne fans pub in the city?

thanks

To be honest there are very few good pubs to watch the dees i reckon.

If you are going to the city area you're better off going to the game. No worries on atmosphere there.

I just checked and you can still get standing room tix for $35 and single seat tix in the boondocks for $90 odd.  

If i didn't have a ticket already i'd buy a standing room ticket and go to the top of the ponsford and watch standing opposite that bar area (where the escalators come up). Perfect and by yourself you'll find a spot to see 

Edited by binman

11 minutes ago, binman said:

To be honest there are very few good pubs to watch the dees i reckon.

If you are going to the city area you're better off going to the game. No worries on atmosphere there.

I just checked and you can still get standing room tix for $35 and single seat tix in the boondocks for $90 odd.  

If i didn't have a ticket already i'd buy a standing room ticket and go to the top of the ponsford and watch standing opposite that bar area (where the escalators come up). Perfect and by yourself you'll find a spot to see 

sound advice binman. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Just received this from the club via email.

0acc7463-71f0-45b6-9745-c09d383fcaa2.jpg

So what this is saying is essentially we will be forced to spend time with Collingwood supporters?

Anywhere suitable in Sydney? The pub around the corner is alright but might have a bit too much of a 'normal' friday night crowd. Would want to have at least a few proper football people around. Even Geelong supporters to point and laugh at.

Will be taking the lovely person who often struggles to watch games because she feels like it is her fault if we're doing badly, and also the impending father-in-law who is visiting, speaks barely a word of English, but 'gets' AFL and sure as all bleep knows how to get into the spirit of it.

The pure joy of not being able to understand a word of what Bruce or BT are on about, I am truly jealous.

But seriously, any recommendations for inner-west or CBD Sydney?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Bates Mate said:

sound advice binman. 

For the first time since our last finals appearance, I will be in the Ponsford stand between the goals on the first level - semi-sheltered if it rains. I can remember that it had a great view of the whole ground, largely unhindered, with good views to the scoreboards (which have since been upgraded and are more visible). (Son and I have seats reserved and look forward to the best win of the season, knocking off the Catty Puts and putting them in the 'what happened' ether for this season.) Might take a pair of small field binoculars this time, so that I can see TMac smile at the Richmond end of the ground as he racks up his 7 goals for the game. Go Dees!

15 hours ago, Little Goffy said:

Anywhere suitable in Sydney? The pub around the corner is alright but might have a bit too much of a 'normal' friday night crowd. Would want to have at least a few proper football people around. Even Geelong supporters to point and laugh at.

Will be taking the lovely person who often struggles to watch games because she feels like it is her fault if we're doing badly, and also the impending father-in-law who is visiting, speaks barely a word of English, but 'gets' AFL and sure as all bleep knows how to get into the spirit of it.

The pure joy of not being able to understand a word of what Bruce or BT are on about, I am truly jealous.

But seriously, any recommendations for inner-west or CBD Sydney?

North Shore pubs, particularly Cronulla.

1 hour ago, Cdee said:

Does anyone know where/how to watch in New Zealand? Will the AFL app work over there? 

Welcome to Demonland.

I'm not sure if the AFL app will work in New Zealand. It certainly doesn't work in other countries around the world. You can however use the AFL's Watch AFL app (https://www.watchafl.com.au/) while overseas.

You can either purchase the whole final series for $79 or if you're a little more cautious you can take out a weekly subscription for $25.

How are ticket sales going? Gil said ON THE COUCH on Monday that there were only 1,000 tickets remaining. I presume he was spruiking but does anyone know? I'd heard they were expecting 85,000.

Edited by A F

17 minutes ago, A F said:

How are ticket sales going? Gil said ON THE COUCH on Monday that there were only 1,000 tickets remaining. I presume he was spruiking but does anyone know? I'd heard they were expecting 85,000.

MCG website currently estimating 90000. 

http://www.mcg.org.au/whats-on/events-calendar/2018/september/afl-first-elimination-final-melbourne-v-geelong-cats

30BA14C3-F9C5-4A02-A9F7-9DF24EB3FF23.jpeg

Edited by Robot Devil

1 hour ago, Demonland said:

Welcome to Demonland.

I'm not sure if the AFL app will work in New Zealand. It certainly doesn't work in other countries around the world. You can however use the AFL's Watch AFL app (https://www.watchafl.com.au/) while overseas.

You can either purchase the whole final series for $79 or if you're a little more cautious you can take out a weekly subscription for $25.

Thanks! I will be back in town for week two of the finals so won’t be needing the whole series subscription. Just got to hope we will be in it still :) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Demonland said:

According to the MCC website they are expecting 94,000 to Thursday's night game between the Tiger and the Hawks and 90,000 for our game.

Surely 180,000+ people attending consecutive games has to be a record. 

Forgot about the good old days when there weren't any seats and they used to cram people on the boundary line.

21 hours ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

So what this is saying is essentially we will be forced to spend time with Collingwood supporters?

It's a great place, Mate. Good tucker, good beer, good outdoor drinking area upstairs.