Footy injury (recovery) question...

hardtack

Thought I would provide a distraction from the weekend disaster by giving a status update on my son's condition (I know you have all been anxiously waiting :) ).

We consulted with the surgeon last week (Dr Anthony Leong - a top knee reconstructionist apparently) and he is giving it until the middle of next month after which another MRI will be done to see if it is managing to repair itself before he makes a final judgement on surgery. The reason for that is that with my son being just 13, he is concerned about having to drill through the growth plates as there is a very slim chance (<1%) that the growth of the knee could be affected which could result in a deformity; he is still of the opinion that surgery will most likely be required based on how the knee feels to him.

I think the hardest part for him now (apart from not being able to play for at least 12 months) is that his team had their first loss for the season in the game during which he was injured, and they have since lost 2 more including the first major semi final. We have been going to each match to provide support, but I think he is finally realising just how important he was to the team's structures... poor bugger.

The down side to all of this is that my position at work has been made redundant and as of Sept 7 I will be out of work. Fortunately the medical coverage provided by the company extends two weeks beyond that date and the HR person I have been dealing with is attempting to get that extended. Hopefully all will be ok and I will be able to use Dr Leong as I really don't want to have to rely on what the public system throws our way.

On the positive side, my band played its first gig on Saturday night and seemed to be received pretty well... and will play again this Friday.

well done hardtack... I hope it all works out ok for you both.

exploratory keyhole would show its condition, no idea which is more costly, MRI or exploratory surgery to diagnose? but imo the exploratory would be a more accurate diagnosis of severity?

Thought I would provide a distraction from the weekend disaster by giving a status update on my son's condition (I know you have all been anxiously waiting :) ).

We consulted with the surgeon last week (Dr Anthony Leong - a top knee reconstructionist apparently) and he is giving it until the middle of next month after which another MRI will be done to see if it is managing to repair itself before he makes a final judgement on surgery. The reason for that is that with my son being just 13, he is concerned about having to drill through the growth plates as there is a very slim chance (<1%) that the growth of the knee could be affected which could result in a deformity; he is still of the opinion that surgery will most likely be required based on how the knee feels to him.

I think the hardest part for him now (apart from not being able to play for at least 12 months) is that his team had their first loss for the season in the game during which he was injured, and they have since lost 2 more including the first major semi final. We have been going to each match to provide support, but I think he is finally realising just how important he was to the team's structures... poor bugger.

The down side to all of this is that my position at work has been made redundant and as of Sept 7 I will be out of work. Fortunately the medical coverage provided by the company extends two weeks beyond that date and the HR person I have been dealing with is attempting to get that extended. Hopefully all will be ok and I will be able to use Dr Leong as I really don't want to have to rely on what the public system throws our way.

On the positive side, my band played its first gig on Saturday night and seemed to be received pretty well... and will play again this Friday.

HT I'd be very surprised if the the Insurance won't cover your son's injury even after your employment stops. Insurance has to cover injuries that occur during the insurance cover. If they occur during that period it doesn't matter if the treatment continues after the cover is terminated. I'd check up on this but I'd be very surprised if this isn't the case. The HR person probably doesn't know if they think it doesn't.

Sorry to hear about your year from hell - Liam's injury, redundancy and the Dees pathetic recent form.

Hopefully all will be upwards from here.

Sounds like Liam is in good hands. There's no point rushing a decision that will have long term consequences at his age.

How is he coping with it and is his club including him and making him feel a part of the teams success? That's the key I believe.

Thanks for the update and many on this forum will be sending positive thoughts your way.

• Like 4

All the best to you and your son. Foot injuries are unpredictable. I was a long distance runner and had foot surgery about five years ago. After the first 12 months post op it all looked a bit dismal but I followed the doctors orders, did my rehab as ordered and stopped wearing heels. Unfortunately I had to give up my beloved running but took up yoga and pilates which I practice every day. My foot feels great. I forget sometimes that I actually had surgery and am in fantastic condition. Fitter than I have ever been. All is not lost. Good luck with your new career.

All the best to you and your son. Foot injuries are unpredictable. I was a long distance runner and had foot surgery about five years ago. After the first 12 months post op it all looked a bit dismal but I followed the doctors orders, did my rehab as ordered and stopped wearing heels. Unfortunately I had to give up my beloved running but took up yoga and pilates which I practice every day. My foot feels great. I forget sometimes that I actually had surgery and am in fantastic condition. Fitter than I have ever been. All is not lost. Good luck with your new career.

Like yourself Jane, Uncle Bitter is something of an athlete. How do you deal with attention when wearing the spandex? I try to be unobtrusive but people keep looking at me. I suppose they are jealous of my physique.

Thanks DL asnd It's Time...yes, I will be looking into the insurance to claim the gap. As for the MRI, the surgeon is apparently one of the best in the business here in Sydney, so I will trust his judgement. I will get my local GP to write a referral for the MRI as with my son being 13, he is entitled to have it bulk billed which will mean we get it done at zero cost.

Chook... yes, I've had better years, but for my son, the club is being very inclusive... he sits on the bench with the interchange, joins in the huddles at the end of each quarter and sings the song with them when they win. They are really very good.

Jane02... unfortunately Liam's is not a foot injury, but his knee... he tore the MCL and ACL and in the process tore a small piece of bone off. It is looking most likely that he will have to undergo a full knee reconstruction.

I was going to take him down for the Grand Final weekend, but there are just no affordable flights back on the day we would need to return... so instead I will take him down for the final game against GWS... the upside of that is that I will be able to take him to the club's training session and he can meet a few more players. That will help keep his spirits up.

Edited by hardtack
  • Like 1

Thanks DL asnd It's Time...yes, I will be looking into the insurance to claim the gap. As for the MRI, the surgeon is apparently one of the best in the business here in Sydney, so I will trust his judgement. I will get my local GP to write a referral for the MRI as with my son being 13, he is entitled to have it bulk billed which will mean we get it done at zero cost.

Chook... yes, I've had better years, but for my son, the club is being very inclusive... he sits on the bench with the interchange, joins in the huddles at the end of each quarter and sings the song with them when they win. They are really very good.

Jane02... unfortunately Liam's is not a foot injury, but his knee... he tore the MCL and ACL and in the process tore a small piece of bone off. It is looking most likely that he will have to undergo a full knee reconstruction.

I was going to take him down for the Grand Final weekend, but there are just no affordable flights back on the day we would need to return... so instead I will take him down for the final game against GWS... the upside of that is that I will be able to take him to the club's training session and he can meet a few more players. That will help keep his spirits up.

HT sorry to hear about all this. Bringing your son down for training is one thing but are you sure you want him to witness the actual match? Could be a shock to the boy who obviously gives his all for his club to see grown professional footballers not show up mentally to play.

As for your band did you bring the house down with " Dont Blame Me" to finish the gig?

• Like 1

HT sorry to hear about all this. Bringing your son down for training is one thing but are you sure you want him to witness the actual match? Could be a shock to the boy who obviously gives his all for his club to see grown professional footballers not show up mentally to play.

As for your band did you bring the house down with " Dont Blame Me" to finish the gig?

He's pretty strong minded luckily ;-)

Didn't play Don't Blame Me, wrong genre... this band plays rockabilly/country...with a nod to The Clash and Ramones. Not sure if the link will work, but:

https://video-hkg3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xfp1/v/t42.1790-2/11937469_873117416091398_1882173428_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjMzMSwicmxhIjo1MTJ9&rl=331&vabr=184&oh=457b640aeac975760eef557e343fb3af&oe=55DB1CED

• Like 2

Cool song Hardtack. Which one are you?

Not sure your image fits the MFC profile. Hard to imagine you sitting in the long room dressed in tweed.

That's the old Ramones song "I Wanna Be Sedated" (our sedated C&W version)... and I'm the goose up front vocalising.

Whoops - sorry. I ready the Footy injury heading and only read the word foot! For what it is worth, I had surgery on both knees as well in my early 20's (from netball) and again two years ago. I am having stem cell treatment soon to one knee for longevity and the other one feels great. Technology is moving along in leaps and bounds in sports science. Good luck to Liam.

• Like 2

Thanks all... I've just finished booking flights/accommodation for the final round... will take him along to the Friday training and then to the game against GWS on the Sunday (there's a nice symmetry there as the other game we got to see was the opener against GCS - let's hope results go the same way).

If he can't play himself, he can at least get to meet and greet a few Dees at training and hopefully have a word with Maximum Gawn re what to expect if he goes the reconstruction route... would allay a few fears he might have.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went to training today and Jane from the MFC introduced my son to big Max Gawn who had a nice chat with him about recovery etc. really wonderful guy and my son was absolutely over the moon. And just when Liam thought nothing could be better than that, Jane has organized passes to the changing rooms post game on Sunday. I'm really happy that this trip to Melbourne has been precisely the lift he needed and I really have to thank the MFC (again) and more particularly Georgina and Jane for going that extra mile.

Edited by hardtack
  • Like 5

Went to training today and Jane from the MFC introduced my son to big Max Gawn who had a nice chat with him about recovery etc. rely wonderful guy and my son was absolutely over the moon. And just when Liam thought nothing could be better than that, Jane has organized passes to the changing rooms post game on Sunday. I'm really happy that this trip to Melbourne has been precisely the lift he needed and I really have to thank the MFC (again) and more particularly

Well done to the Club. Hope Liam has a great day, including a win.

I think I'll nominate you, Hardtack for Dad of the year.

• Like 2

Well done to the Club. Hope Liam has a great day, including a win.

I think I'll nominate you, Hardtack for Dad of the year.

Just doing what I would hope any father would do for his child...but thanks anyway.

Just caught up on this thread. Hardtack, very sorry to hear about your redundancy. I hope the band takes off for you! Thanks for the update on Liam. It sounds like you both had a very good start to what will hopefully be a great weekend for both of you. And I second Chook's nomination of you for Dad of the year. Keep it up, and go Dees!

Just doing what I would hope any father would do for his child...but thanks anyway.

Luv your work Hardtack, good-onya. a great example for your young fella to be a top human.

hope you guys have a great weekend...

cheers DL

Edited by dee-luded
  • Like 1

Max Gawn kept his word and the team won...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=882982818403669&set=a.100368423331783.619.100000758763064&type=1&theater

Liam has loved every minute of his weekend which went from great, to amazing to stupendous! Well done MFC and I cannot thank big Max enough for how he has lifted my son's spirits!

• Like 8

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=882982818403669&set=a.100368423331783.619.100000758763064&type=1&theater

Liam has loved every minute of his weekend which went from great, to amazing to stupendous! Well done MFC and I cannot thank big Max enough for how he has lifted my son's spirits!

Great moment ht. Liam will love Max forever now I suspect.

• Like 2

nice one hardtack

• Like 1

Max is a legend .

A true hero.

• Like 1