WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - BRENDAN McCARTNEY

kurtneverdied

Dees Nail It

"MELBOURNE nailed it on Monday morning with the news that Brendan McCartney will be heading to the club next year."

• Like 2

Great call Kurt, cheers!! Very happy with this appointment, he'll have a point to prove & has more runs on the board developing afl standard youngsters than most (Bombers/Neeld development coach rumor....lol)!! ;-)

Btw, to the few naysayers, he tried to change a poor culture at the doggies & got spat out, has happened to many well credentialed coaches over the years at various clubs with 'strong' poor cultures and reactionary boards to match (see handling of senior players complaints/head coach & Boyd counter manouver with respect to Griffen). He brings those lessons with him to a club who is also trying to change it's culture under Roos. Another great reason for the appointment, very relevant experience for us regardless of whether we judge his time at the Dogs as successful or not, we can learn from it as a club ourselves without repeating any of the 'mistakes'. Apparently gets along well with our current & future he's coaches too....... What's not to like here?!?!

• Like 1

Would that be so you could [censored] about our amateurish Board appointing someone inexperienced, should it not turn out 100% successful?

No why would I?

That's bad. I apologise for that it was a mistake.

I shouldn't have made those getting injured comments no matter how much I get frustrated at their performances

Wow, it only took you 5 years to make an apology and only then, when prompted. "bigc" seems like it was a fairly appropriate forum name considering the nature of the remarks.

An element to all of these recent appointments I admire is firstly how the club identified who they wanted( or very short list ) then went about the procurement of the intended. We hardly saw any thing leaked. The media had no chance to fabricate a storm of sensationalist rubbish that might paint us as this or that, no we just got the job done and came up smiling.

Compare this to all the hullabaloo last year. The uncertainty , the desperation that was attributed to the club. It may have helped having our northern suburban lot attracting so much attention but then I can only imagine their fanboys would be keen as mustard to find something on another club they could sink their hooks into and yet we sailed along stealthily.

Takes no Rhode Scholar to understand development doesn't seem to have been something we've mastered of late. So much attributed to our poor standing is attributed to the inability to extract the best out of our list ( we'll leave alone the idea that the selection of said list left much to e desired also, for the moment ) , that much development has gone begging but for the want of decent, well, developers.

Brendan McCartney appears that last piece to a puzzle,but a very important piece. This bloke has had a lot of success in bringing the kids on, getting them to step up and into the game as bonefide players. Together with this years likely influx we will have a fair number of lads who can benefit from the Macca influence. There are the noobs but a couple of young 20's lads might benefit also. We can only hope.

Macca has that happy knack of getting players to respond and lift. Those entrenched in their ways are a different ilk but fortunately we have others in charge whose position allows them to help purge the club of such impediment.

This is really quite an inspired appointment and I applaud Brendan for seeing the opportunity as it is, to help create a very good team. Shame he doesn't start til Feb but looking at it longer picture wise I sense we'll benefit greatly from the McCartney influence.

It'll be great....yeahh !!!

Edited by beelzebub
  • Like 5

Wow, it only took you 5 years to make an apology and only then, when prompted. "bigc" seems like it was a fairly appropriate forum name considering the nature of the remarks.

I'm pretty sure that is a lie but I'm am flattered that someone who wouldn't bother researching McCartney would research me.

I also got Frawley right. Everyone said he was off to Geelong I said he was off to Hawthorn, didn't need a source just knew that was the way FA was heading.

Just reading the Neeld thread and what a surprise, failed coach goes to Melbourne GUN COACH, failed coach goes to Essendon DUD COACH usual Demonland.

Yeah I make mistakes but I'm sure the sun shines right out of your ass.

I'm pretty sure that is a lie but I'm am flattered that someone who wouldn't bother researching McCartney would research me.

I also got Frawley right. Everyone said he was off to Geelong I said he was off to Hawthorn, didn't need a source just knew that was the way FA was heading.

Just reading the Neeld thread and what a surprise, failed coach goes to Melbourne GUN COACH, failed coach goes to Essendon DUD COACH usual Demonland.

It most certainly does.

• Like 1

Oh. and how could it have been a lie? You were apologising for something that the post you were responding to stated was said in 2009. Now maths may not be my strong suite, but if I'm not mistaken, that is 5 years ago. No research required.

Oh. and how could it have been a lie? You were apologising for something that the post you were responding to stated was said in 2009. Now maths may not be my strong suite, but if I'm not mistaken, that is 5 years ago. No research required.

I would have apologised back then.

Edited by WERRIDEE

Dopeyc seems more appropriate.

I never wish for someone to follow another club, but sometimes you feel like making exceptions.

• Like 2

Yet another inane post.

Firstly, very few compare to Neeld in terms of failure as a senior coach. His win% of 15.2% is half that of McCartney's at 30.3%.

And secondly, for the umpteenth time, McCartney is a good appointment for his credentials in development. Ask ANY Bulldogs fan and they will have nothing but good words to say about McCartney's legacy in terms of developing their young midfield. Conversely, Neeld's development record at Melbourne leaves a lot to be desired.

Neeld may excel in an assistant role as he did at Collingwood, but in terms of their recent records in youth development, one is streets ahead of the other.

• Like 2

your not old until you can remember Tassie Johnson kicking out mongrel drop kicks from fullback.

good ol' 8... wore his number as a kid. Had to see those kicks to believe :)

Edited by beelzebub

Along with the Hawks and perhaps Port, we now have the best coaching team in the league.

theres zero excuses now not to win games

and nothing for the players to complain or [censored] and moan about

if they dont deliver now they should all hand back every penny the club has ever paid them

Along with the Hawks and perhaps Port, we now have the best coaching team in the league.

Well...its looking pretty handy as a group. Proof of pudding will of course be time. :)

theres zero excuses now not to win games

and nothing for the players to complain or [censored] and moan about

if they dont deliver now they should all hand back every penny the club has ever paid them

I bought a Lada.. I polished that car , I tuned it , I bought it the best oil and I serviced it even before it was due for servicing.I had the finest mechanics work on it . I didn't flogg it - I simple gave it all my love and attention.

Alas - it still goes like a Lada.

Edited by nutbean

Had a look at our coaching panel and it is:

What interested me there isn't someone with forward line play/coaching experience. (Our website said Mcpherson played in defence/midfield for the Swans). I think we recruited a part-time ruck coach but couldn't find him in the 'Staff' listing so the ruck part is covered, if he is still with us.

No disrespect to our coaching team but I wonder whether we need another forward coach to work with McPherson as our coaching team looks a bit weak in that area. I for one would like to see another experienced, forward coach (but i don't want to see all the ex Geelong players follow McCartney to the Dees).

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

your not old until you can remember Tassie Johnson kicking out mongrel drop kicks from fullback.

Wash your mouth out son, #8 never kicked a mongrel in his life. :)

• Like 2

You should quit whilst your are behind fella. :o