AFL Officials in Trouble

Redleg

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The AFL's site gets in on the act - AFL asks Dons for 'please explain' over Hird salary

This part is interesting in the context of the AFL's role in the matter:

IN OTHER DEVELOPMENTS, a report - written by James Hird's law firm that questions the appropriateness of an ASADA/AFL joint investigation - has been delivered to the Federal Government.

The Ashurst Report - named after Hird's law firm - says: "It was completely inappropriate for ASADA to have embarked upon a joint investigation with the AFL."

The AFL has not seen the report.

According to News Limited, Hird's advisers Steven Amendola and Ian Hanke delivered the report to federal Sports Minister Peter Dutton and Attorney-General George Brandis.

The report said: "The tenets of natural justice, and thus the reliability of the interim report's findings, were egregiously undermined by the manner of its preparation. The incomplete nature of the interim report means it should never have been provided to the AFL."

I agree with this part. The AFL's involvement in the investigation was improper and unnecessary. As much as it wanted to preserve the integrity of the finals system, it should have stayed out of the investigation process until a final report was handed down by ASADA on all aspects of the drugs scandal.

Demetriou did achieve the aim of punishing Essendon, it's coaches and officials (but not Doc Reid) and kept the Bombers out of the finals but the result is more egg on his and the AFL's face. I just hope that it hasn't done harm to the investigation process.

Agree. I wonder if any of the supporters amongst the James Hird messiah crowd are starting to question the damage he has brought the players, the club and the game.

I am not sure there is any wins here for Essendon just a range of loss scenarios.

See post 159.

I am really now of the view that they are scared of his blowing the whistle rather than merely protecting a club legend.

smacks of this for sure

Where Andrew Demetriou got it wrong on the supplements scandal.

... and the Oz editorializes -> AFL antics just not cricket

ANDREW Demetriou has overseen a bold expansion of the AFL which, in years to come, may see him remembered as a sports visionary. However, after 10 years as AFL chief executive, his method and manner of running the game belongs to a bygone era of drop kicks and behind-the-play thuggery. His performance throughout the AFL supplements scandal has not been that of an executive at the top of his game. Mr Demetriou is notorious for his attempts to intimidate media outlets and journalists critical of the AFL. His public ridicule of a journalist on this paper for breaking the news that the AFL was about to abandon its case against Essendon club doctor Bruce Reid was foolish behaviour from an experienced sports executive paid in excess of $2 million a year.

and ... then goes on to have a dig at the Age for not having a go at the AFL and for a senior sports journalist there for arguing "Mr Demetriou was not a story worth pursuing."

The media war continues.

No i didn't.

Hird is a psychopath. He is going down swinging whilst demanding a wage.

Amazing form really!!

He might be going down swinging but I suspect a few scalps might be taken down with him including perhaps the AFL's own Integrity :rolleyes: officer:

Hird's peptide warning 'added after publicity'

EVIDENCE of a "warning" delivered to James Hird about the use of peptide hormones was added to the case against Essendon nearly two years after the meeting took place and on the same day the allegation was first published in a newspaper.

AFL integrity officer Brett Clothier provided a detailed account of the August 5, 2011, meeting in an email to Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority investigators on July 17 this year. The account was included in ASADA's interim report to the AFL two weeks later and relied on to establish Hird's "early awareness" of substances at the centre of the supplements scandal.

Mr Clothier's evidence was added to the brief within hours of The Age publishing an allegation that Hird was warned by the AFL against the use of peptides in late 2011. The revelation in The Age was attributed to "sources close to the investigation".

Now, where on earth have I heard about "alleged leaks from sources close to the investigation" before?

1. Dank is obviously a central figure in the investigation and I would suggest target number 1.

2. An interview of Dank is likely to yield little or nothing regardless of what coercive powers that ASADA may contain. A Dank interview will probably end up being little more than a formality.

3. The interview is very often the last thing done before process is served/charges laid etc. I would expect the same in this instance.

4. Just because you can't hear, see or read about exactly what the investigators are up to doesn't mean the wheels aren't turning.

1. Dank is obviously a central figure in the investigation and I would suggest target number 1.

2. An interview of Dank is likely to yield little or nothing regardless of what coercive powers that ASADA may contain. A Dank interview will probably end up being little more than a formality.

3. The interview is very often the last thing done before process is served/charges laid etc. I would expect the same in this instance.

4. Just because you can't hear, see or read about exactly what the investigators are up to doesn't mean the wheels aren't turning.

Agree.

Becoming clear where the Hun is getting their information. Starting to look as if Hird's legal team is eager to carry out his defence via News Ltd..

As if it's going to change anything in the long run.

No i didn't.

Hird is a psychopath. He is going down swinging whilst demanding a wage.

Amazing form really!!

And you want all this to come out.... to the detriment of the game.

There is no need to have all this "laundry" played in the media.

And thanks for the hyberbole on Hird's condition.

Plausible and very reasonable.

A few outspoken posters could take note....but they wont.

I am keen to ensure that ASADA does a proper and thorough job regardless of the time. I also hope somewhere in the outcome there is a damning penalty on Hird and other EFC officials for their part.

What ever the issue is with Dean Robinson (and will we ever know the truth), Essendon singling out of him and the fingerpoint is cringeworthy and embarrassing.

i want everything out in the open yes.

The game will survive Essendrug may not but that is there own doing. They knew exactly what was going on.

How Thompson can coach in 2014 and Watson keeps hos 2012 Brownlow is outrageous.

I do not want performance enhancing drugs in the AFL. simple.

And i certainly do not want information withheld just because you feel the games image is tarnished.

If Essendon get off lightly because of deals that is far more damaging in the long term.

Look up Psychopath.

The Golden Boy ticks all the boxes.

Plausible and very reasonable.

A few outspoken posters could take note....but they wont.

I am keen to ensure that ASADA does a proper and thorough job regardless of the time. I also hope somewhere in the outcome there is a damning penalty on Hird and other EFC officials for their part.

What ever the issue is with Dean Robinson (and will we ever know the truth), Essendon singling out of him and the fingerpoint is cringeworthy and embarrassing.

It's all a bit sad really, they're picking on the guy they know doesn't have the resources to fight back. Real bully boy tactics.

It's all a bit sad really, they're picking on the guy they know doesn't have the resources to fight back. Real bully boy tactics.

yes the weapon was always going to be the scapegoat.

Pity Patrick Smith did not interview him months ago rather than Luke Darcy.

We missed a lot of relevant topics.

i want everything out in the open yes.

The game will survive Essendrug may not but that is there own doing. They knew exactly what was going on.

How Thompson can coach in 2014 and Watson keeps hos 2012 Brownlow is outrageous.

I do not want performance enhancing drugs in the AFL. simple.

And i certainly do not want information withheld just because you feel the games image is tarnished.

If Essendon get off lightly because of deals that is far more damaging in the long term.

Look up Psychopath.

The Golden Boy ticks all the boxes.

You don't get it and I have already described your laundry approach.

Playing this out in the media has nothing to do tolerating drugs.

And if you can get over your vaulting melodrama, the survival of Essendon in the game is critical for the games future. The continuation of Hird and his amigos at the Club is the problem.

At least you can spell psychopath if nothing else. Well done.

Yep. A vacuum of responsibility and accountability.

yes the weapon was always going to be the scapegoat. .

Going to be?????

He was sacked without notice 16 months.... I think the process started back then.

And if you can get over your vaulting melodrama, the survival of Essendon in the game is critical for the games future. The continuation of Hird and his amigos at the Club is the problem.

What exactly do i not get??

You just want to disagree with my posts.

More damage will be done if true justice is not reached.

Blame the legal eagles if you must.

At the original press conference last february Hird was a guilty man. He knew it.

Then it all changed 180 degs.

I want people like Hird out of the game for obvious reasons.

If he decides to take his beloved Essendrug down with him then so be it, i am not going to stand in his way.

Essendon paying him a full wage whilst he serves time is just absurd.

They are all delusional.

Edited by why you little

Do you think Melbourne came out of the tanking issue a better club; our laundry was exposed for all to see and we survived so why shouldn't Essendon? Weren't you happy when Melbourne was cleaned out and the poor culture exposed.

This has to be exposed so no other club will ever think they are above the rest of the competition, for all we know there may be a history of cheating at Essendon that we don't know of.

The sooner they are out the better. Unfortunately it might only happen if players get suspended, it's probably the only thing that will wake up their supporter group to demand action.

Some are slowly waking up to the damage that's been caused but most have their heads …...

I don't get this.

Surely if the head of the fish is rotting, it would be in the interests of the game to expose the rottenness and change the people at the top?

The sooner they are out the better. Unfortunately it might only happen if players get suspended, it's probably the only thing that will wake up their supporter group to demand action.

Some are slowly waking up to the damage that's been caused but most have their heads …...

Exactly if they get away with this there is no stopping them; if we think, and I don't think most on here do, that Essendon are above the game and they can do what they want then that's when the competition will fall apart.

This will be a big kick up the ass for Essendon but to suggest that it will be the end of them and the competition is fanciful.

I'm not suggesting you did.

Well no Armstrong, as well as all/any of the cyclists recently prosecuted or "outed", have all taken responsibility for their actions and apologised. The reports from the recent meeting between Armstrong and Emma O'Reilly make sobering reading.

Uhm no he hasn't he is only doing the apologies so he can have his ban lifted so he can compete in triathlons that he thinks he can win. Check out some articles recently from his favourite friend Betsy Andreu.