The AFL's insistence on changing our game for the sake of it!

Young Dee

Could not really find a place to post this....

The AFL continues to attempt to change our game for the sake of it. I think they believe they are evolving the game with time although I believe they would feel silly if they don't introduce rules or change our game slightly every year. It is the greatest game in the world and should be changed as little as possible. Today we are witness to an overabundance of free kick rules that has made the umpires somehow a pillar of the game. I understand and respect that some rules have been introduced to protect players although I think it has gone too far. The AFL now insists on making an interchange cap for reasons I have yet to find out, is it to make players more tired therefore further degrade their foot skills, slowing the whole game down and making it worse to watch?

Then there is the induction of more teams and with it the introduction of the much loved twilight games. Who wants to go to a game late on Saturday afternoon knowing you have work/uni early the next day? I think that games should stick to the middle of the day (2:00) and night (7:00) where they belong. There is something I have grown to love about a 2:00 game, it's the build-up to the game - the breakfast reading the sport section (game preview), listening to the pre-game radio whilst driving to the MCG and then getting stuck in to some overpriced hot chips! It's a time when your not yet thinking of the tasks and work that is waiting for you on Monday - it is just the footy. These twilight games deter me from going to the games and sap some of the enthusiasm from me. With our NAB cup game being played on Saturday morning I can only hope that the AFL isn't thinking of having morning games in the real season. If this is all due to these expansion clubs well you can give them the Sunday twilight games.

It's things like this that should not be changed, it is the essence of our game and before we know it we will have a rugby/American football style game - with music/entertainment at half time. The games changing to quickly and Andrew Demetriou must realise this - I do and I am only old enough to have experienced a decade + of good footy. Despite our game being 150+ years old it has stayed constant and reliable till now. It's time for Demetriou to pull his head out of the sand and wake up or someone else has to before the fundamental things that make our game great are lost.

It's all up to the AFL department, lets hope Demetriou can wake up to the music - although I think he is having trouble putting his finger on why the game has lost spirit....

andrew.jpg

Edited by Young Dee

I think it is far too easy to blame AD.

I didn't grow up with footy as it is now.

It's less of a spectacle and there are too many athletes playing.

As for the times games are played - that's a seperate issue and is really the rights of broadcasters now that they are bankrolling the game.

• Like 1

well youngD you dont seem that young with some of your thoughts. I have enjoyed reading many of them on other topics.

The game has always and will always evolve. I dont always support the AFL machine but I dont think they make change just 'for the sake of it"

They may not always communicate their reasoning and it may sometimes not be obvious and certainly not accepted reasoning but I am sure there is always a reason.

Some changes are required as response , other changes are proactive to both external and internal factors

Like you I dont want to see our code become more like American footy or indeed any other code. That doesnt mean we cant take some of there features and incorporate them into our code to improve our game. Experience even in another place can still be valuable.

And certainly those things that make our game great and unique should never be forgotten

The idiots at AFL House spent 10 years speeding up the game because of TV. They ignored supporters and coaches railing against the 'basketball' nature of the modern game. Look at the crowds they would say.

Now they are trying to slow it down under the guise of player welfare.

They will NEVER NEVER NEVER admit they stuffed up. Look at the crowds I say. Attendances have peaked IMO. Punters are voting with their feet.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.