Melbourne to field stand alone VFL team?

ChaserJ

agree. The Casey area could be as big as GW$ in time. We must stay out there alone. It is ours to develop

Noww your talking WYL, future with Hope, it's there for the taking. Our future is at Casey or our future group of hardcore supporters, time to get on the front foot Dees, we've laid the foundations out there time to cement ourselves there.

All Home games at the G, NAB games at Casey, family days and school clinics.

• Like 1

Are you prepared to double the size of your membership fee?
Ok but I am not sure that anywhere near the whole of the other 35 000 members would be.

The point I was making is that it will be an expensive option which I think you understand.

We probably don't have many options.

The cost of running a standlone team has been reported as costing up to $500K*. Based on 2012 membership figures (which were down on 2011), this equates to ~$14 per member.

To put that in perspective, if we applied this as a flat 'tax' on 2013 members it would be a ~6% increase for Red & Blue Adult 11 (General Admission, home game only) members.

Using a proportional method, in which each member is levied a set percentage of their membership, memberships would increase by only a few percent across the board.

Thus, a fairer question is 'are you prepared to increase the size of your membership fee by less than 5% to fund a standalone team'?

To that I answer, resoundingly, yes.

*In case you're concerned about cost blowouts, if the figure was $600K it would be ~$17 per member, which equates to a little under an 8% increase for Red & Blue Adult 11 members if applied as a 'flat tax'.

• Like 12

actually the cost isnt as much as that even.

we're already paying X amount to them ( Scorps ) . The differential amount to pursue our 'version" of a Casey Demons might not be an outrageous impost.

I cant see the Scorps being allowed to continue ( by law, ) they must have been skating on thin edge legally as far as trading went. They Need bailing out. Probaly more logical to kill off the 'broke(n)" entity and rebirth a new one in teh form of a Melbourne controlled Casey Demons.

Fresh start, fresh books. Better manangement etc .

Edited by belzebub59

actually the cost isnt as much as that even.

we're already paying X amount to them ( Scorps ) . The differential amount to pursue our 'version" of a Casey Demons might not be an outrageous impost.

I cant see the Scorps being allowed to continue ( by law, ) they must have been skating on thin edge legally as far as trading went. They Need bailing out. Probaly more logical to kill off the 'broke(n)" entity and rebirth a new one in teh form of a Melbourne controlled Casey Demons.

Fresh start, fresh books. Better manangement etc .

bb there are probably a couple of problems in this.

- The Scorps have as I understand it a long term lease on the Ground, they will use this as a major bargaining chip.

- They will probably not go down without a fight, lengthening the time it takes to get a resolution.

Better management by the MFC! I will think about that one for a little while

Edited by old dee
  • Like 1

How about just MFC players available for Casey in the finals first...

Yes I agree and if it's a stand alone team dont see it being an issue

Edit: and Yes to Rogue

Edited by Pennant St Dee

bb there are probably a couple of problems in this.

- The Scorps have as I understand it a long term lease on the Ground, they will use this as a major bargaining chip.

- They will probably not go down without a fight, lengthening the time it takes to get a resolution.

Better management by the MFC! I will think about that one for a little while

The Scorps if wound up have nothing..No lease...nada. Some bargaining chip !! The Council then has a problem of an expensive assett and no leasee.

The Scorps are bargaining from what position ?? being well and truly broke. We CAN go alone. We dont actually need them. We can however gobble them up, so to speak.

Whilst taking all positions and sensitivities into consideration we really can do what teh F we like here and either all other parties say yes sir how high sir or we walk.We have options. They have...ummmm...let me count.......

We need to learn the art of real business, not pretending we do it.

We dont need to do anything about the Scoprs debt, not if we are a little bit business ruthless. Its not OUR debt. They ARENT us.. Any decent accountant would tell you to fold it unless theres a Tax benefit in absorbig them and I cant think of one off hand. i.e I cant think of what the assett(s) is/are we would gain cheaply by doing so.

• Like 1

Far as i am concerned any Football club who has not paid its players since early May is pretty much up shite creek. Any lease they have signed should be made insolvent.

Nice facility Demons..Lick a paint...

The real world is seldom quite that simple wyl

From my limited knowledge of leases.

If the payments on the lease have been made then the Council can do nothing about the lease until it is unpaid / broken.

And even then there will be a time after that before the lease is deemed to be vacant

And a new lease arranged with a new party.

This may be the only real asset the Scorps have at present.

But we are all guessing so as always patience ( I often have little ) is a virtue.

All will be revealed soon

Edited by old dee

The real world is seldom quite that simple wyl

From my limited knowledge of leases.

If the payments on the lease have been made then the Council can do nothing about the lease until it is unpaid / broken.

And even then there will be a time after that before the lease is deemed to be vacant

And a new lease arranged with a new party.

This may be the only real asset the Scorps have at present.

But we are all guessing so as always patience ( I often have little ) is a virtue.

All will be revealed soon

sounds more like a liability than an asset to me od

if you are bankrupt you can't pay the lease (on-going) and it is therefore a liability

• Like 1

Better? At least I know I haven't cursed any Melbourne players this time.

I actually made the Morton2Watts nickname a few months before Watts was even drafted... ah for the days when we had hope.

Thank god, we can change our usernames, lol

sounds more like a liability than an asset to me od

if you are bankrupt you can't pay the lease (on-going) and it is therefore a liability

You are probably correct dc

Lets assume they are not behind in payments ( yes I know a big assumption )

Unless they walk from the lease no one can take it over until it is broken.

I guess what I am suggesting is this may be the only bargaining chip they have to play.

They may say we want a deal to still exist or you can wait till 2014/ beyond to play on the Casey ground.

All theory and who knows at this point.

I guess what I am suggesting is this may be the only bargaining chip they have to play.

They may say we want a deal to still exist or you can wait till 2014/ beyond to play on the Casey ground.

At best they could get a refund on the unused portion of any prepaid lease if someone took over the lease

That would just help to pay off some debts not sustain a recovery

• Like 1

OD technically you are right, but it is also the responsibility of the Scorps to service that lease. If they have no cash flow then this cannot happen.

The lease then becomes an assett of the whole property.

We also have a long teem contract with the council. At least 30 years or was it 50? Either way we should stay there.

Edited by why you little

any which way..the directors of the Scorps are in very deep doo doo !!

OS technically you are right, but it is also the responsibility of the Scorps to service that lease. If they have no cash flow then this cannot happen.

The lease then becomes an assett of the whole property.

We also have a long teem contract with the council. At least 30 years or was it 50? Either way we should stay there.

Not suggesting for one minute we should pull out wyl.

Casey is the future of the MFC, without it we will wither on the vine.

All I am suggesting is the lease may be something the Scorps can use in trying to negotiate a future.

At this point it looks to me like a MFC takeover is the best way forward

• Like 1

Not suggesting for one minute we should pull out wyl.

Casey is the future of the MFC, without it we will wither on the vine.

All I am suggesting is the lease may be something the Scorps can use in trying to negotiate a future.

At this point it looks to me like a MFC takeover is the best way forward

i agree, it just looks to me like the scorps have not got a leg to stand on IF they have not paid the players since early May.

It could be a garage sale then run.

I hope office staff and directors have not being paying themselves at the expense of those who put on the show.

Good Facility...The MFC must utilize.