Jack Jack

I'm not getting too excited, Jack. While yesterday was our only impressive win of the season, we've seen what appeared to be LA turning the corner a few times this season only to revert to losing to rubbish teams. This has to turn into some momentum for LA to make the playoffs.

Some big things have happened over the last few days.

Boston reeling from Rondo rupturing his ACL. Can they go deep into the finals without him? I doubt it, I think we might see a few trades from them in the next few weeks.

Lakers beat OKC. I hope it's a sign they've turned the corner.

And oh joy of joys, the Bogut is back. And it sees the return of the Bogometer over on NBAMate

bogometer-heading.gif

vs Toronto (W) 29/01/13

Pts 12 Reb 8 Blk 4 Ass 2 Stl 1

60.gif

60%

He's Baack!

And did I miss another coach being sacked? Phoenix?

Phoenix Suns fire coach Alvin Gentry

Maybe the Lakers have turned things around with 'Mr Assist' (Kobe) being the chief reason. I wonder how long Bryant can maintain this role? If he's able to, then the Lakers could become more than just nuisance value in the lead up to the playoffs.

They'd probably have to get to at least 45 wins to make it. Currently sitting at 19/25, they'd have to come home at about 26/12. (give or take a few wins) That's a rather tall order, though they are quite capable of playing winning basketball against many of the teams. I hope they get on a run and Kobe maintains his new found role.

Good to see Bogut back. Golden State are doing alright (27-17) and you'd reckon they could only be improved with Andrew's return.

Edited by Macca

I'm not getting too excited, Jack. While yesterday was our only impressive win of the season, we've seen what appeared to be LA turning the corner a few times this season only to revert to losing to rubbish teams. This has to turn into some momentum for LA to make the playoffs.

Much will depend on the Lakers run from Feb 5 to Feb 24. Over a stretch of 9 games you've got Boston twice (H & A) and have other games against Miami(A), Brooklyn(A), the Clippers, Portland(H) and Dallas(A). 7 tough games. 3 or 4 wins in that lot and you never know. Anything less than 5 wins (overall) in that stretch and it's all over. (definitely!)

Still reckon if Kobe maintains his new role then the Lakers may well be a team that some other team's would rather avoid.

And now for something completely different ... gotta love those accents from across the ditch ...

A snowmobile with a mind of it's own

Edited by Macca

I went to the Lakers vs Hornets game from two nights ago. I'm not a lakers fan so I don't see them on the box all that much, but the other night they were very hot and cold. When the hornets rested the whole starting five, the lakers dominated, but when the hornets had their best team out there it was game on. I was very impressed with Kobe and his assists, he's almost too unselfish. As for the hornets, Anthony Davis......wow.

• Like 1

It's been another interesting few days in the NBA. I haven't heard how bad the injury is but Howard left late in the loss against the Suns with a shoulder injury. Not good new for the Lakers.

Rudy Gay has been traded to the Raptors, Jose Calderon finds himself in Detroit (might be a good move for him, I hear real estate is pretty cheap there at the moment) and Tayshuan Prince lands at the Grizzlies (And some other bits and pieces, leaving the Grizzlies under the tax threshold and the Pistons with more cap space). A bit sad to see Prince go, he's been a one team and championship player for the Pistons, but that's the nature of the business I guess.

Miami are starting to gain a bit of momentum, they looked a bit shaky earlier in the season but are on a 13-0 run.

And an Australia Day tweet from Patty Mills (Is he wearing the women's uniform?)

tony-parker-patty-mills-australia-day.jp

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It's been another interesting few days in the NBA. I haven't heard how bad the injury is but Howard left late in the loss against the Suns with a shoulder injury. Not good new for the Lakers.

Rudy Gay has been traded to the Raptors, Jose Calderon finds himself in Detroit (might be a good move for him, I hear real estate is pretty cheap there at the moment) and Tayshuan Prince lands at the Grizzlies (And some other bits and pieces, leaving the Grizzlies under the tax threshold and the Pistons with more cap space). A bit sad to see Prince go, he's been a one team and championship player for the Pistons, but that's the nature of the business I guess.

Miami are starting to gain a bit of momentum, they looked a bit shaky earlier in the season but are on a 13-0 run.

And an Australia Day tweet from Patty Mills (Is he wearing the women's uniform?)

tony-parker-patty-mills-australia-day.jp

Interesting point re Miami, LeBron James, the Bulls and Michael Jordan ...

Was watching Sportscenter and it was pointed out by one of the presenters, that the same 'Negative' questions that were asked about LeBron, were also asked about Michael Jordan 'back in the day'- it's just that the fans don't remember how they felt at the time. Michael had so much success that it's totally superseded the negatives that surrounded him before his 'Championship' wins. Bit like the handbags and the Cats.

Both were 25 years old when they won their 1st MVP and both were 28 years old when they won their 1st Championship. Of course, it remains to be seen if James will get to 6 Championships like Jordan did, but who would bet against it?

He is having another standout season and is surely heading for his 4th MVP and maybe another Championship. And he's fast becoming quite a favourite. Everyone loves a winner.

Edited by Macca

Today has been a very sad one for the NBA and of course for the Lakers. I'll forever be grateful to Jerry Buss for all he did for the franchise, and for the enjoyment he brought to my life. Following this team has been immensely rewarding and he gets the credit for a lot of that. So many owners in US sports are more interested in making a profit than winning championships, but Buss had such a genuine understanding of the importance of winning, and the dollars followed. He was tremendously good and loyal to his own, a visionary, an entertainer, but most of all, a winner.

Dr Jerry Buss, thank you.

Today has been a very sad one for the NBA and of course for the Lakers. I'll forever be grateful to Jerry Buss for all he did for the franchise, and for the enjoyment he brought to my life. Following this team has been immensely rewarding and he gets the credit for a lot of that. So many owners in US sports are more interested in making a profit than winning championships, but Buss had such a genuine understanding of the importance of winning, and the dollars followed. He was tremendously good and loyal to his own, a visionary, an entertainer, but most of all, a winner.

Dr Jerry Buss, thank you.

The Lakers paid a great tribute today with a terrific win over Boston. Jerry Buss had a huge positive influence over the League, over a lengthy period of time. The Lakers won 10 Championships under his ownership - phenomenal. Nice pre-game words by Kobe as well. Game highlights ... Boston @ the Lakers

Had a listen to the last half of the Houston/OKC game today. The Rockets came back from a 14 pt deficit with just over 7 minutes to go. Harden went silly with 46 points - he's good to watch when he's 'On' . Jeremy Lin had 29 pts. Here are some highlights ... OKC @ Houston

Edited by Macca

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit bummed so far with this season. The Pistons don't seem to have made much progress and my other team, Brooklyn, don't fill me with much confidence. I was also looking forward to seeing the Timberwolves start their climb, but they've unfortunately been curtailed by injuries.

I think the fear of the new luxury tax has hit OKC the hardest. Losing Harden is a real game changer for the team.

The Lakers are creeping ever closer to a finals berth. Can they get past Houston?

And how about that Curry? What was it, 54 points against NYK? Pity they still lost. Good news is that Bogut is back, so can only hope they have a good run leading up to the finals.

And now for something completely different.

And some old school Bill Russell. Wow.

• Like 1

I'm a bit bummed so far with this season. The Pistons don't seem to have made much progress and my other team, Brooklyn, don't fill me with much confidence. I was also looking forward to seeing the Timberwolves start their climb, but they've unfortunately been curtailed by injuries.

I think the fear of the new luxury tax has hit OKC the hardest. Losing Harden is a real game changer for the team.

The Lakers are creeping ever closer to a finals berth. Can they get past Houston?

And how about that Curry? What was it, 54 points against NYK? Pity they still lost. Good news is that Bogut is back, so can only hope they have a good run leading up to the finals.

And now for something completely different.

And some old school Bill Russell. Wow.

The experts (Vegas??) have the Lakers making the playoffs at the expense of Utah (based on strength of scheduling) That's gotta bring a smile to pantaloons face. I hope they get there. Not sure the Spurs or OKC would relish facing L.A straight up but either series would be definitely worth looking at. C'mon Lakers :blink:

Meanwhile, over in the East, the Heat are on a 15 game winning streak. They look in Championship form don't they? Wade had a big night against the Timberwolves the other night. LeBron is just sublime.

The experts (Vegas??) have the Lakers making the playoffs at the expense of Utah (based on strength of scheduling) That's gotta bring a smile to pantaloons face. I hope they get there. Not sure the Spurs or OKC would relish facing L.A straight up but either series would be definitely worth looking at. C'mon Lakers :blink:

Meanwhile, over in the East, the Heat are on a 15 game winning streak. They look in Championship form don't they? Wade had a big night against the Timberwolves the other night. LeBron is just sublime.

Yeah, a bit short sighted of me not to nice the Jazz. Shame on me!

What a game yesterday by the Lakers, come from behind win. We can only hope that the Lakers get through to the finals, it's good for the sport. But they are leaving their run late, and there's already a lot being reported on niggling injuries to players. Kobe's determination to get there is absolutely amazing.

Love your work, gents. It was pretty much Murphy's Law for the first half of the season but the team has played well the last 20 games (14-6). The same record over the last 20 will see us make the playoffs. Once in there, we won't get past the first round, but would have a better shot against San An.

Yesterday's game was ridiculous. Out scored them 25-2 over the last 8.30. With our generally dismal D, that's just crazy. Utah does have a tough run home and I don't know how they win so many games as it is.

• 2 weeks later...

The Miami streak is still on. 22 and counting, equal 2nd all time record. I must say though that, stats wise, it really showed where the Heats deficiencies are and that's the boards. I didn't see the game but I find it quite inconceivable that a team can have 24 offensive rebounds to 2 and still lose by 17 points. What the hell is going on there?

The DeAndre Jordan dunk has overshadowed most highlights of late (and for good reason too, it was awesome). But Brook Lopez showing a bit of brotherly love wasn't too bad either.

And here's DeAndre's dunk for good measure.

Larry Sanders approves.

ibzW4LeLuR2Z2U_medium.gif

What's the latest with Kobe? I haven't read much since his first quarter exit.

The Miami streak is still on. 22 and counting, equal 2nd all time record. I must say though that, stats wise, it really showed where the Heats deficiencies are and that's the boards. I didn't see the game but I find it quite inconceivable that a team can have 24 offensive rebounds to 2 and still lose by 17 points. What the hell is going on there?

The DeAndre Jordan dunk has overshadowed most highlights of late (and for good reason too, it was awesome). But Brook Lopez showing a bit of brotherly love wasn't too bad either.

And here's DeAndre's dunk for good measure.

Larry Sanders approves.

ibzW4LeLuR2Z2U_medium.gif

What's the latest with Kobe? I haven't read much since his first quarter exit.

Kobe didn't play today. (L.A defeated the Kings) The Lakers are at Phoenix tomorrow then have a 4 day break before they're at home to the Wizards.

Kobe had some 'choice' words to say about Dwight and his ability to be able to play with injuries. It was along the lines of "This is L.A and you have to step up" (I'm paraphrasing). Boot on the other foot? (no pun intended)

Don't get me wrong, Kobe can say what he likes - he's earn't that right. Just an observation. Wonder if Howard will fire back - me thinks not!

... Kobe Bryant Challenges Dwight Howard to Play Through Injuries

Edited by Macca

Really interesting article on SportVu, technology that was developed by the Raptors to track the players on the court to where they "should be". Expensive gear and tech and not to sure it is producing results as yet but would be interesting to see if this could be translated to AFL to show players correct positioning and team defence.

Dees look into it!

Long article but worth the read.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9068903/the-toronto-raptors-sportvu-cameras-nba-analytical-revolution

Wow, that's a very interesting article. I can certainly see the merits of using it in basketball. I wonder if we get the same kind of data from the gps units? Albeit only getting one side of the story.

Wow, that's a very interesting article. I can certainly see the merits of using it in basketball. I wonder if we get the same kind of data from the gps units? Albeit only getting one side of the story.

Yea Jack Jack Grantland is actuall amazing. Even though it is run by O'Reilly it has the most indepth sports articles I have ever read. We would be so lucky to have something half as good here.

I can see thebenefits for sure in AFL but the cost $100k pa is prhibative but then as you said can this lead to using something similar using GPS in AFL.

I suspect that the level of complexity, going from basketball to AFL, would be exponential. I think that some other similar sport would have to pick it up first to make it a little more cost effective for the AFL. Bloody interesting nonetheless.

Miami are 26 and counting. But the way they've been digging themselves holes I can't see it going on for much longer. Their next few games are Orlando, Chicago, Hornets, Spurs and New York. I'd be very surprised if they made it to 30.

It was just a matter of time right?

tumblr_m17dxqVWxL1qckk1yo1_500.jpg

• Like 2

Well Detroit are long out of the playoff equation. Brooklyn are in 4th place in the eastern conference, just. But, realistically, they're only making up the numbers.

I hope that Bogut can strike some form in the next few weeks and GSW can go deep into the playoffs. But even that seems unlikely.

Lakers seem shaky again, the Jazz have just taken back 8th position. It's interesting looking at teams performances and comparing against payrolls.

On other news, some coaches have been getting more active amongst some of the leagues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSZtyvz0NnQ

But the big news of the week is Phil Jackson signing up to Twitter. Hilarity ensued when he made his first tweet.

11 champ;ipnsikp[ ringhs,

As it turn out it was just very clever marketing for his new book. But it was funny nonetheless. (I thought he had 13 rings?)

Edited by Jack Jack
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Lakers win out and they make it. 3 games, all at home. Warriors, Spurs, Rockets.

Utah have Minnesota home and away then are at Memphis.

Magic said today that the Lakers will beat the Spurs if they meet them in the 1st round. Although to make the playoffs LA might have to defeat the Spurs in their 2nd last game (which could cause the Spurs to finish in the 2 seed). Anyway, big call. Bill Simmons chimed in with his usual cutting humour. Something about the Lakers lack of defence.

One week and we're into it. Can't wait really, playoffs in the NBA are just great. The Knicks have been on a fine run but it's looking like a match-up with the Celtics in the 1st round. That would be a classic series.

Edited by Macca

I think we'll get there (just) but have zero chance of reaching the second round. Just making the playoffs and avoiding the humiliation of missing out is enough for me after a disastrous campaign. Nice to see Golden State make it for just the second time in 19 years.

I think we'll get there (just) but have zero chance of reaching the second round. Just making the playoffs and avoiding the humiliation of missing out is enough for me after a disastrous campaign.

That's a disappointing response pantaloons. The playoffs are a completely different game to the regular season. Just having Kobe on the team is a massive difference to begin with. "Everything negative - pressure, challenges - is all an opportunity for me to rise."

Nice to see Golden State make it for just the second time in 19 years.

Second time in 19 years? Really? I didn't know that. Should be a good series with Denver, interested to see who will stand up.

And on another note, is it me or are the GSW guards greedy and completely under utilising some of the better big men in the league? Thompson and Curry are taking a huge numer of shots each game, Bogut and Lee wouldn't have half the opportunities they do. Seems strange (or is Bogut clouding my judgement?).

One week and we're into it. Can't wait really, playoffs in the NBA are just great. The Knicks have been on a fine run but it's looking like a match-up with the Celtics in the 1st round. That would be a classic series..

Celtics and Knicks should be a ripper. Not sure the Celtics can get that far without Rondo, but they're the kind of team that won't die wondering.

I'm looking forward to the Nets Bulls series. Not overly confident of the Nets, but should still be good. What are the chances of seeing Rose back in the team, coming off the bench for the first series? After the last few months of speculation around Rose it would add some drama to the playoffs.

That's a disappointing response pantaloons. The playoffs are a completely different game to the regular season. Just having Kobe on the team is a massive difference to begin with. "Everything negative - pressure, challenges - is all an opportunity for me to rise."

Just trying to keep it realistic!! We'll likely face OKC, which is a terrible matchup. We could probably extend the Spurs to 6 or 7 but having seen LA at the top of the Western Conference for most of this century, I'm giving us about as much chance as I gave our first round opponents in previous years. Not much at all.