Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jack Jack

Spurs through after sweeping the Grizzlies ... highlights ... Parker had another big game. June 6 is the 1st game of the finals so they've got a bit of a wait.

Game 4 of the Miami/Indiana series tomorrow. Heat leading 2-1.

Good chance for our ageing vets to put the feet up for a few days. Duncan has really been playing well this playoff series.

The Miami-Indiana series has been an enthralling one so far, lets hope the Pacers can level it back up again and extend

the series.

And those Pacers do level things up in a spirited display today. It means the series will continue to at least Sunday (our time) Indiana are proving tough opposition ... game 4 highlights

"Australia's Own" Patty Mills and Aron Baynes lifting weights with secret Spurs fan Sir Paul McCartney:

http://ussportsdownunder.com/nba/read/aussies-in-the-nba/aussies-in-the-nba-2952013-patty-lifts-with-sir-paul-bogut-on-project

Pacers are really impressing me this series they are good to watch

• Like 1

"Australia's Own" Patty Mills and Aron Baynes lifting weights with secret Spurs fan Sir Paul McCartney:

http://ussportsdownunder.com/nba/read/aussies-in-the-nba/aussies-in-the-nba-2952013-patty-lifts-with-sir-paul-bogut-on-project

Pacers are really impressing me this series they are good to watch

Spurs/Pacers final would be interesting. If the Heat are at their best they'll get through, but Indiana winning game 2 in Miami will give them a lot of confidence. I reckon the Pacers have to win game 5 to have a real chance.

On ESPN from 10.30am tomorrow. Work gets in the way again - not happy about that ^_^

... Birdman suspended for game 6

Without apparently being provoked, Andersen body-checked Hansbrough to the floor after Heat teammate Norris Cole missed a layup in transition during the second quarter of the Heat's eventual 90-79 victory, which gave them a 3-2 series lead.

Andersen then confronted Hansbrough, bumped him in the chest and struggled with official Marc Davis when Davis came to break up the altercation.

The Pacers force a game 7. Regardless of whether the Heat win the final game in Miami or not, the Spurs must be feeling reasonably confident of beating either team in the finals.

Miami only scoring 77 points must be a concern. They'll possibly step it up and win game 7 but too much is being left to LeBron.

... Today's highlights ... Hibbert and George had very good games.

• Like 1

Yep, too much is being left to Lebron. Even in game 5 it took something special from him to get them over the line.

Getting the Birdman back for game 7 should make a bit of a difference. But Wade and Bosh really need to fire for them.

Not sure about that. I think sides that keep match practice/fitness up and hit finals with momentum have a massive leg-up.

it helps game one then costs them as the series drag on. Heat would love to rest Wade and Bosh right now but cant

Miami just don't appear to be that good, compared to last year. Certainly not as good as I thought they would be. San Antonio would match up ok against the Pacers, but would they be that worried about facing the Heat? Miami have been really good at times and then they struggle. Maybe in game 7 they will bring their A game?

I reckon we've got a good final coming up, regardless of who the Spurs meet. The rest up would have to help the veterans from San Antonio but against that, they don't want to come out rusty in game 1.

I still think the Heat will get through. They get the Birdman back for Tuesday's game (our time) and it would be a huge story if they missed. I'm tipping a close finish.

Miami through to the finals after beating the Pacers today. Wade had a good game and LeBron scored 32 ... highlights

Anyway, it all starts in Miami on Friday at 11am (our time) The 2nd game is on next Monday. San Antonio are well rested but hopefully not rusty.

Should be a fascinating series. I reckon it can go either way. Head says Miami but I'd like the Spurs to win.

Edited by Macca

Spurs win game 1 ... highlights and recap ... game 2 is on Monday at 10am (our time)

"We got a little bit lucky in Game 1," Parker said. "Sometimes that's what it takes to win games."

"It doesn't matter how we're categorized -- old, veterans, whatever you call us, we're in the mix," the 37-year-old Duncan said.

"The Spurs are the Spurs," James said. "They're going to put you in positions where you feel uncomfortable offensively and defensively, and every time you make a mistake, they're going to capitalize on it."

Huge win in game 3 for the Spurs. Miami were awful in the 2nd half ... highlights Green and Neal provided the X factor.

Vital 4th game now. If the Spurs can get over the line it may prove enough. Miami would then have to win the last 3 games to defend their title.

• 2 weeks later...

Heat just a little bit too good in the end. That game 6 epic will be talked about in future years. What could have been ...

LeBron was the difference today ... Highlights

• 1 month later...

As always the player movements have been frenetic in the off season. A full wrap up of the team changes so far can be found here.

The big news being that the Dwightmare has ended and Howard has moved on from the Lakers and signed with Houston. His pairing with Harden should make them an interesting team to watch in the coming seasons.

The Nets continue to throw around money at an absurd rate, picking up Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Jason Terry and AK47. As a consequence their luxury tax bill (about $87 million) will be larger than every other teams normal payroll. They'd want to see some bang for their buck!

The Knicks have also added some pieces, they've stacked their front court by adding Andrea Bargnani and Metta World Peace. But with a back court of Felton and JR Smith, I'm not convinced they've improved in the right areas.

The Clippers roster hasn't changed much, but they've trade in Doc Rivers as coach which could make all the difference to them.

Bogut, after his name was mentioned in trade rumours, should be happy with the Warriors pick up of Igoudala, even if it's at the expense of losing Jarrett Jack.

And my team, the Pistons, seem to have done well by picking up Brandon Jennings and Josh Smith.

Most of the big names have been accounted for so far, with the one of the few remaining questions being where will Greg Oden (former No. 1 pick by Portland) land?

An interesting season coming up.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Good post JJ ...

And now for something completely different ... a Bill Simmons podcast focusing on NBA team nicknames/mascots. Quite funny in parts with guests Zach Lowe and Dave Dameshek. Dave joins the podcast about half way through (40 mins in) when the NFL nicknames are talked about as well.

... Bill Simmons breaks down the best and worst team names with Grantland's Zach Lowe and NFL.com's Dave Dameshek.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Australians can rejoice. Our own Matt Dellavedova has signed a 2 year contract, partially guaranteed, with the Cavaliers. I think the Cavs could be in for a climb up the standings, so I hope he can stick with them.

After being bought out by the Suns (after being busted with possession of marijuana), Michael Beasley finds himself back at Miami with a non-guaranteed contract. As we all know high draft picks don't necessarily translate into great players, but he was originally draft at 2 by the Heat 4 or 5 odd years ago. He certainly has the skills but has been let down by his own lack of discipline and off field transgressions. Could be another boom or bust recruit for the Heat, along with their signing of former number 1 pick Greg Oden.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Opening games today and the Lakers beat the Clippers without Kobe. For a lot of years that wouldn't have been a story but big things have been predicted for the Clippers this year whilst the Lakers have been marked down in the preseason predictions.

Miami did it reasonably easy over the Bulls at home (Chicago did get within 8 points late in the 4th quarter) Derrick Rose returned with 12 points in 34 minutes.

... Lakers/Clippers highlights

• Like 1

I haven't really been following the NBA too closely so far (it's early days).

Brett Brown, ex Boomers and NBL coach, seems to be doing well with the 76ers so far.

Dellavedova had a few good preseason games, but has yet to really get any game time so far.

Patty Mills has been seeing some regular minutes, nice to see.

And if you didn't know already, Andrew Bogut has signed a 3 year extension with GSW. I expect to see GSW taking another step further in the playoffs this season.

• Like 1

It's looks like it's going to even out at the top a bit in the NBA this year with Houston, the Clippers, Indiana, the Warriors and the Nets all improving their rosters. The Heat, Bulls, Spurs and OKC will all be up there again you'd reckon. Dallas, the Lakers (if Kobe returns fit and back to his near best) and the Knicks are playoff chances.

If I had to pick a team to trouble the Heat the most in the East, it might be the Pacers. In the West it might come down to Houston and OKC but it's wide open in the Western conference.

There's a number of good teams and I'd like to see the Clippers do well ... the Warriors as well. It would be some achievement if Miami get their 3rd Title in a row.

Pacer's could be dangerous for Miami this season. They weren't far off last season and will have Granger returning and have added Scola to the roster.

Bulls, OKC, Clips, Spurs and GSW should all be up there this season. I'm still not convinced that the Knicks are a legitimate contenders, they'll be up there but I just don't see how they can go deep into the finals series.

Houston and Brooklyn look good on paper, but it remains to be seen how well the teams will perform.

Cavs should see some improvement along with the Timberwolves (if they can stay healthy. Rubio will improve the team now that he's back on the court)

I hope to see the Pistons take a few steps forward this season. Josh Smith will make a difference and Drummond and Munroe will only get better. Hopefully Jennings can sure up the guard position. On paper they should be looking at a final berth, although I suspect they'd just be making up the numbers.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Devastating news for Kobe and the Lakers. Kobe has fractured his knee and will be out for 6 weeks.

The Lakers are struggling as it is in the very competitive Western Conference. This certainly won't improve their chances.

I think Steve Nash is also out for another 4 weeks.

Devastating news for Kobe and the Lakers. Kobe has fractured his knee and will be out for 6 weeks.

The Lakers are struggling as it is in the very competitive Western Conference. This certainly won't improve their chances.

I think Steve Nash is also out for another 4 weeks.

Personally, I think it could be for the best. We need to use this to our advantage and try to completely bomb. We could legitimately use injuries as an excuse to the fans (Kobe, Nash, Blake, Farmar) even though we're not very good in the first place. If we remain around .500 and miss the playoffs it's a disastrous season.

• 3 months later...

Here are the playoff match-ups ... tips in dark italics (I'm really only confident with a couple of tips although both 1 and 2 seeds from each conference should get through)

East

No. 1 Indiana Pacers (56-26) vs. No. 8 Atlanta Hawks (38-44)
No. 2 Miami Heat (54-28) vs. No. 7 Charlotte Bobcats (43-39)
No. 3 Toronto Raptors (48-34) vs. No. 6 Brooklyn Nets (44-38)
No. 4 Chicago Bulls (48-34) vs. No. 5 Washington Wizards (44-38)

West

No. 1 San Antonio Spurs (62-20) vs. No. 8 Dallas Mavericks (49-33)
No. 2 Oklahoma City Thunder (59-23) vs. No. 7 Memphis Grizzlies (50-32)
No. 3 L.A. Clippers (57-25) vs. No. 6 Golden State Warriors (51-31)
No. 4 Houston Rockets (54-28) vs. No. 5 Portland Trail Blazers (54-28)

All 4 West match-ups look interesting and the Rockets/Blazers series could be a beauty. In the East, it looks a bit more straightforward although the Wizards and Raptors can win their series.

ESPN are kicking off their coverage with the game between the Grizzlies and OKC this Sunday morning (11.30am AEST)

Edit: After Sunday's game, the next live cable match doesn't seem to be until next Wednesday (although that could change)

Edited by Macca