The problem is Jt we are a long way from the 1950's half a century in fact.

Todays 20 year olds think the "demons" is a symbol of a poor team who play bruise free football.

Other than tradition what did it achieve in 2011?

I agree, but it is up to Neeld and co to get the players to "Play like demons" again

Not like bruise free fairy's

I am not suggesting we do wyl but if it meant a very large sponser with a 5 year commitment from China

and a change to the Dragons was what it took then so be it.

you actually are suggesting we do change our name to appease the chinese. I am saying it won't happen.

Just reading today's Hun.

Disappointing :P

I am not suggesting we do wyl but if it meant a very large sponser with a 5 year commitment from China

and a change to the Dragons was what it took then so be it.

I'm not suggesting you rob a bank. However, if it sets you up for five years then so be it. Oh, right, I guess I am suggesting that!

Seriously, you'd sell our name for a five year sponsorship? Wow.

I'm not suggesting you rob a bank. However, if it sets you up for five years then so be it. Oh, right, I guess I am suggesting that!

couldn't agree more... over on the "franchise" thread there is near unanimous condemnation of the private owner set up because said owner could change all aspects of the club with little care for history or loyal fans.

can't see how selling out and changing our name, even for a millions of dollars, is any different.

the afl and its supporters always denounce mercenary players (not to name names) so why would and entire CLUB do it.

Melbourne Demons for life

Chinese demons

Demons or gui, are prevalent in the Chinese mythological world. Gui also refers to the secondary soul that is separated from the higher soul (hun) at death. The superior soul becomes spirit (shen), and if not treated properly in a ritualistic sense, gui can become a ghost or bad demon. Important demons are Chiyou, who fought against the Yellow Emperor, Huangdi (see Chiyou, Huangdi); Gonggong (see Gonggong), who destroyed one of the pillars of the world with his enormous horn, causing turmoil on earth; and the Four Evils, which any new sovereign had to over-come upon assuming rule. Chiyou had gigantic teeth, was part animal and part man, and had extra eyes and arms. Gonggong was a serpent-human combination, whose follower, the monstrous Xiangliu, ate nine mountains with his nine heads and then vomited up the swamps of the world.

Chinese demons

Demons or gui, are prevalent in the Chinese mythological world. Gui also refers to the secondary soul that is separated from the higher soul (hun) at death. The superior soul becomes spirit (shen), and if not treated properly in a ritualistic sense, gui can become a ghost or bad demon. Important demons are Chiyou, who fought against the Yellow Emperor, Huangdi (see Chiyou, Huangdi); Gonggong (see Gonggong), who destroyed one of the pillars of the world with his enormous horn, causing turmoil on earth; and the Four Evils, which any new sovereign had to over-come upon assuming rule. Chiyou had gigantic teeth, was part animal and part man, and had extra eyes and arms. Gonggong was a serpent-human combination, whose follower, the monstrous Xiangliu, ate nine mountains with his nine heads and then vomited up the swamps of the world.

This all actually happened did it? No wonder the human race is a mess!!!

I just hope the Melbourne Demons win lots of cups before i die.

What if it was $5million pa for the next 5 years?

Hahaha!! Wearing an away strip is effing bad enough. I will not cop a name change. We are the Melbourne Demons. I am sure the Chinese will cope if we are winners.

But surely that is the whole point we are not winners.

Winners can afford to set the terms.

Losers have to make adjustments.

PS wyl it is all BS as none of this will happen or probably ever even be raised.

I just think it is interesting that even if it mean't winning the flag you would not consider it?

But surely that is the whole point we are not winners.

Winners can afford to set the terms.

Losers have to make adjustments.

PS wyl it is all BS as none of this will happen or probably ever even be raised.

I just think it is interesting that even if it mean't winning the flag you would not consider it?

This is not BS old dee. We will play games over there for points. (1 each year??) and we will do it as the Melbourne Demons. I have no doubt.

I don't see what the fuss is about. If we were to play in China, why not use the same strip we used in last year's demo game in Shanghai and use Melbourne Dragons as the translation into Chinese for that game only (with the exception of Puff, there is not that much of a difference between demons and dragons anyway). As a cultural concession this would keep everyone happy and no one would have any cause to be offended either for reasons of beliefs (the Chinese) or club history (the long suffering supporters).

This is not BS old dee. We will play games over there for points. (1 each year??) and we will do it as the Melbourne Demons. I have no doubt.

I mean,t changing the name wyl.

Just an interesting discussion for early december when there is not a lot happening.

If we get more money in I am happy playing games in China or anywhere else for that matter.

If that means giving up a couple of MCG games I can live with it.

Unfortuately we are not Collingwood we have to get the money from wherever.

I don't see what the fuss is about. If we were to play in China, why not use the same strip we used in last year's demo game in Shanghai and use Melbourne Dragons as the translation into Chinese for that game only (with the exception of Puff, there is not that much of a difference between demons and dragons anyway). As a cultural concession this would keep everyone happy and no one would have any cause to be offended either for reasons of beliefs (the Chinese) or club history (the long suffering supporters).

You have my vote, lets get on with it.

One would have to hope that there would be far more careful consideration given to the scheduling of the games following any overseas match than has been shown for the physically arduous games played in Darwin and in Cairns. Travel time alone would one presume go into at least 24h - jet lag factors etc.

I guess any club taking this on would be well advised to chat with the Rugby guys who play regular games anywhere from South Africa to New Zealand.

Still, if it offers a first in the door genuine $$$ opportunity to get onto the world's biggest and growing market, and does not have any detrimental effect on football performance especially at the tight top end of the table where we hope and indeed expect to be --- let's go.

One would have to hope that there would be far more careful consideration given to the scheduling of the games following any overseas match than has been shown for the physically arduous games played in Darwin and in Cairns. Travel time alone would one presume go into at least 24h - jet lag factors etc.

I guess any club taking this on would be well advised to chat with the Rugby guys who play regular games anywhere from South Africa to New Zealand.

Still, if it offers a first in the door genuine $$$ opportunity to get onto the world's biggest and growing market, and does not have any detrimental effect on football performance especially at the tight top end of the table where we hope and indeed expect to be --- let's go.

I often wonder how big of a problem the travel really is.

WC have been flying back and forth now for years.

When they have had good sides they win flags, when the have had poor sides they have not won flags.

Rugby guys fly constantly between NZ and SA

Soccer players play in the UK one weekend, play in Europe mid week and again in England the next weekend.

I never hear of the problem from those competitions.

Are we just [censored]?

I wonder if the club has had a feng shui expert check out all aspects of our club to make us 'chinese acceptable'

I suspect a few jumper numbers would not pass muster

I wonder if the club has had a feng shui expert check out all aspects of our club to make us 'chinese acceptable'

I suspect a few jumper numbers would not pass muster

You know DC I doubt the average Aussie has any idea how much all these things mean to the Chinese.

My experierence suggests to me that it will be very hard for the MFC to pick up a major Chinese sponser.

Contrary to what a lot of people want to suggest the "demons" part of the MFC is a major problem.

We can laugh all we like but it will hold us back in the Chinese market.

Now I am not suggesting there is the slightest chance of us changing our emblem but it will hold us back in China.

It is very hard for us barbarians to understand the Chinese, if CS can pull off a serious Chinese sponser he is a very clever man.

I hope he is up to the task.

Because we sure need the cash

I often wonder how big of a problem the travel really is.

WC have been flying back and forth now for years.

When they have had good sides they win flags, when the have had poor sides they have not won flags.

Rugby guys fly constantly between NZ and SA

Soccer players play in the UK one weekend, play in Europe mid week and again in England the next weekend.

I never hear of the problem from those competitions.

Are we just [censored]?

Good post Old Dee.

I think the obvious solution would be to try and "sell" the Demons name for 1 round per year, similar to what Carlton did with the light blue M&M jumper a few years back, and what Garry Hocking did when he changed his name to Whiskas. It could be used in the negotiation side of things, in terms of trying to get a bigger $deal, by offering 1 game in China each year, and we play, for that one game, as the Dragons (or whatever that company wanted).

In terms of timing for the game, it MUST be the round before the bye weekend. This would give us the chance to fly over there on the Monday, then play that Saturday night, then have the following weekend off, where we could utilise this high altitude training centre mid-season (similar to what Collingwood did with a few of their players this year). Only stick in the mud is that we generally play Collingwood just before the bye weekend, so it will take a fair bit of working out from a fixture point of view.

You know DC I doubt the average Aussie has any idea how much all these things mean to the Chinese.

My experierence suggests to me that it will be very hard for the MFC to pick up a major Chinese sponser.

Contrary to what a lot of people want to suggest the "demons" part of the MFC is a major problem.

Now I am not suggesting there is the slightest chance of us changing our emblem but it will hold us back in China.

It is very hard for us barbarians to understand the Chinese, if CS can pull off a serious Chinese sponser he is a very clever man.

Another top post Old Dee. Centuries of tradition/beliefs trying to be swept under the carpet by a team that plays Aussie Rules. I do barrack for the greatest team in the world, but that's not to say I barrack for the most powerful team in the world.

personally I think the idea of the AFL playing home and away games overseas as just a megalomaniac fat-controller pipe-dream

and I agree, why would the mainland chinese (in a big way) be interested in afl football

i could though see a chinese company who wants to expand in australia being interested in sponsorship, but this would be local not overseas issue