Tom Scully

Rogue

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 mil over 4 years is A LOT for a kid who has only played a year and a half... with similars in trengove and even arguably mckenzie outperforming him. if the figure is close to that then I'm not sure how I feel about it.

obviously I would hate to lose him, but I don't want us to consequently lose others because we're paying him too much. what if he stalls and doesnt become elite, whilst trenners wins a bluey?

Edited by rhaz

Pay Scully the big bucks.

We have opened up well over a $1m hole in our salary cap by front loading contracts.

Scully WILL be the best player in the competition in 3-4 years time. And the beauty is that he's a teenager that has another 12 years of classy football to come.

He is also a super role model in terms of training and going the distance to achieve success.

He will be worth every single bloody cent.

In my opinion, Scully is the best teenager in the AFL. And that includes guys like Martin and Fyfe (and how much cash would you throw at those boys to bring them to the demons!?)

Tony shaw reported on afl teams (fox sports) that Melbourne put an offer and "some pressure" to Tom scully in the past 24 - 48 hours. Supposedly 3mil over 4 years

Just saw that myself. Seemed pretty sure.

"Yeah but he knows Gubby Allen"

Blah blah blah and on we go ...

3 mil over 4 years is A LOT for a kid who has only played a year and a half... with similars in trengove and even arguably mckenzie outperforming him. if the figure is close to that then I'm not sure how I feel about it.obviously I would hate to lose him, but I don't want us to consequently lose others because we're paying him too much. what if he stalls and doesnt become elite, whilst trenners wins a bluey?

Agreed rhaz. I love him, and want to keep him, but not too sure how I feel for Trenners, Mackenzie, etc, who have performed consistently since debut, getting better game by game. Scully will be a gun, but Trenners is definitely the more complete player at the moment, and I don't know that Scully will necessarily overtake him. That's not to say Scully will be a failure, but Trengove is equally as good IMO.

Pay Scully the big bucks.We have opened up well over a $1m hole in our salary cap by front loading contracts.Scully WILL be the best player in the competition in 3-4 years time. And the beauty is that he's a teenager that has another 12 years of classy football to come.He is also a super role model in terms of training and going the distance to achieve success.He will be worth every single bloody cent.In my opinion, Scully is the best teenager in the AFL. And that includes guys like Martin and Fyfe (and how much cash would you throw at those boys to bring them to the demons!?)

I don't see how you can say Scully is the best teenager in the AFL at the moment. Trengove alone has outperformed him this year. This is not a criticism of Scully by any means, but don't make more of him than he is at the moment, and that is a very important kid with loads of potential.

Scully will be worth every cent the MFC pays him if he stays.

And i would think the players on our list know that as well...I am glad he had a hard tag last week.

He would not have liked it one bit, and that will challenge him.

3-4 Mill over 4 years is a great contract, which allows him to stay close to family....Hope it is a genuine piece of info.

Agreed rhaz. I love him, and want to keep him, but not too sure how I feel for Trenners, Mackenzie, etc, who have performed consistently since debut, getting better game by game. Scully will be a gun, but Trenners is definitely the more complete player at the moment, and I don't know that Scully will necessarily overtake him. That's not to say Scully will be a failure, but Trengove is equally as good IMO.

I don't see how you can say Scully is the best teenager in the AFL at the moment. Trengove alone has outperformed him this year. This is not a criticism of Scully by any means, but don't make more of him than he is at the moment, and that is a very important kid with loads of potential.

Everybody saying Trengove and Mckenzie are Scullys equals are fooling themselves, both great players and will be A graders

Also since Scully's return he has been FAR superior to Trengrove, easily imo

Everybody saying Trengove and Mckenzie are Scullys equals are fooling themselves, both great players and will be A graders

Also since Scully's return he has been FAR superior to Trengrove, easily imo

Scully will be the Judd of his generation. He will be a superstar of the competition for over a decade. bookmark it

Scully will be the Judd of his generation. He will be a superstar of the competition for over a decade. bookmark it

Yes Scully will make Trengove and Jordie McKenzie better players, and they know it.

They will feed off each other, but Scully is the one to get things going, that's how i see his role.

I think Scully gets unfairly assessed on here mainly due to his contract stance. A few aren't sure if they can warm to him especially as he may leave. Both Trenners and Tom and great guys but Trenners is easier to warm to with his initial signing for three years and he has appeared a little bit more in the media. Tom doesn't crave the media (although I think it is mainly this year as he doesn't want to answer the same questions) and hasn't been in the spotlight making comments which puts people off side unlike trengove.

I think both will be great players but it will be like

Hodge or Judd

Bartal or Ablett

Trengove or Scully

All six are great players that you would have in a heart beat, but the first are tough, uncompromising, good skilled footballers the second have speed, vision and ability to make things happens. We don't know if the bottom two will end up like the top four but I think that is the difference in players and you would always choose the second player.

I think Scully gets unfairly assessed on here mainly due to his contract stance. A few aren't sure if they can warm to him especially as he may leave. Both Trenners and Tom and great guys but Trenners is easier to warm to with his initial signing for three years and he has appeared a little bit more in the media. Tom doesn't crave the media (although I think it is mainly this year as he doesn't want to answer the same questions) and hasn't been in the spotlight making comments which puts people off side unlike trengove.

I think both will be great players but it will be like

Hodge or Judd

Bartal or Ablett

Trengove or Scully

All six are great players that you would have in a heart beat, but the first are tough, uncompromising, good skilled footballers the second have speed, vision and ability to make things happens. We don't know if the bottom two will end up like the top four but I think that is the difference in players and you would always choose the second player.

I'd always choose the player that says "I want to be a Demon for life".

The 1 or 2 draft pick thing is irrelevant .The club listed them alphabetically . They are both very good ,very early and are both required . There is a handle on both sides of the mug for each of them .

Guest Artie Bucco

I don't believe you are right re Buckley. My recollection was Buckley coached the Vic Country Under 16's whilst Scully played for Vic Metro Under 16's. Gary Lyon subsequently replaced Buckley.

Buckley was a mentor for Scully when he was a junior.

Possibly through the AIS, iirc.

He also was Vic Country U/16s coach - I don't believe the 2 are mutually exclusive.

The role of mentor isn't overly time consuming.

Guest Artie Bucco

For those questioning Scully's value - he is not yet physically strong enough to compete against the best inside mids, but his greatest weapon is his running power. He can cover so much ground and get to so many more contests, that he enables the team to consistently outnumber the opposition.

Once the kids get stronger, and learn to properly guard space, he will become a serious weapon.

The rest of his game will come, but what he has now shows he'll give us a serious advantage against other teams.

Picken tagging him out of the game against the dogs excited me, because it means he's going to have to learn how to combat a tag pretty soon.

The sooner the better.

Guest hangon007

Tony shaw reported on afl teams (fox sports) that Melbourne put an offer and "some pressure" to Tom scully in the past 24 - 48 hours. Supposedly 3mil over 4 years

This sounds like good news for us ... I hope its true. Lets just get the job done then we all can relax.

He will not now backflip and sign mid year. Even if he wants to stay at Melbourne. He has copped so much already, he will stick to his guns and decide at years end.

I understand that the club needed to put an offer out there, but I highly doubt they were expecting a actual answer from Tom.

@Wolfmother. Spot on, it's easy for me to warm to Trenners more simply because I know he will be here next year, with Sculls he could be anywhere.

Not that I am baggin Sculls, I like hwta he is doind on the field for the club and applaud and cheer him whilst he dons the Red and the Blue, but I am not warming to him as a Melbourne person.

That's the heading for the artical.

In the hole artical, it dosen't quote him saying that he wants to be a demon for life.

"would love to be a one club player" isn't, i want to be a demon for life.

Semantics. Point is, kid says he loves Melbourne and wants only to play with us. For his whole career.

BIG gulf between that and what we've heard from Scully.

That's the heading for the artical.

In the hole artical, it dosen't quote him saying that he wants to be a demon for life.

"would love to be a one club player" isn't, i want to be a demon for life.

Semantics. Point is, kid says he loves Melbourne and wants only to play with us. For his whole career.

Massive RR Fail, as Scully says the same damn thing...

Where exactly did he say he only wants to play for us.

This is what I find amusing - you are reading what you want to read - line up Scully's press conference comments and the article on Trengove and there is zero difference what is being said - the only difference is the headline which I am sure he didnt pen.

The only other difference is we are going banana's on Scully because there is/will be another large offer on table.