Fev to GWS rumour (in todays AGE)

DeeMfc

From todays AGE -GIANT FEV RUMOUR

If the rumours are true, Brendan Fevola is warming up in the VFL this year before finishing his career at Greater Western Sydney.

Track watchers spotted a GWS recruiter at Casey Fields as Fevola kicked five goals on the weekend.

Quickly, two and two became four million.

But if Fevola is to find a home in AFL again next year, it will not be north of the border in Western Sydney.

As someone close to the football department at GWS said yesterday, "I wouldn't think he has got any hope whatsover with us''.

Fevola's five-goal haul included three in quick time, and while he might not find a home at GWS, at least his progress is encouraging.

His best avenue to a return is to keep his head down, stay away from the media interviews and controversy, and just keep doing the team thing.

Everyone knows he can kick goals by the bucketful, but it is his conditioning and professionalism that will dictate whether he can resuscitate his career.

Here is the list of Dee's playing that day.

Macdonald, McNamara, Blease, Evans, Morton

Jetta, Bate, Strauss, Howe, Cook

Gawn, McKenzie, Nicholson, Lawrence

Food for thought.

P.S Can we please leave Tom Scully out of this thread as his name is not in the list above. Thank you :-)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They could also just as easily been scouting any of the other VFL listed players really. I'm not sure who played for Casey on the day but Michael Stockdale and James Wall for example look to be very handy VFL level players - frequent VFL watchers would know a lot more than me; but they could be looking for the next Michael Barlow rather than picking on players to poach. It could also just be due dilligence, and recruiters watch a lot of football a lot of the time, who says they were even looking at Casey players? As far as I know two teams played on the day.

Seems like the Age are doing their best to make an article out of nothing to me.

They could also just as easily been scouting any of the other VFL listed players really. I'm not sure who played for Casey on the day but Michael Stockdale and James Wall for example look to be very handy VFL level players - frequent VFL watchers would know a lot more than me; but they could be looking for the next Michael Barlow rather than picking on players to poach. It could also just be due dilligence, and recruiters watch a lot of football a lot of the time, who says they were even looking at Casey players? As far as I know two teams played on the day.

Seems like the Age are doing their best to make an article out of nothing to me.

Yes, I agree.

The post was generic, as in the subtopic "Who else were they scouting ?".

I only listed the Melbourne players as food for thought because it is not of great interest to chat about players from other teams on a Demons forum.

They may not have been there to scout any of our players, but they may have some of our players on their watch lists now after their performances.

Cheers

HS has a pissy little snippet today about Morton being out of favour because shock horror he is a young player being made to work on his game, but he is out of contract so he's apparently gonna leave :rolleyes:

Maybe GWS were scouting Morton.

Let the rumours and panic begin.

Or they could have been scouting the Bendigo AFL or VFL listed players

or the scout lives nearby and has a neighbour playing and just dropped in to watch a bit of local footy

Guest Artie Bucco

I've maintained for the last 18 months that GWS are more likely to go after or get specifically Morton or Bate.

A bit of a nothing article though.

HS has a pissy little snippet today about Morton being out of favour because shock horror he is a young player being made to work on his game, but he is out of contract so he's apparently gonna leave :rolleyes:

Maybe GWS were scouting Morton.

Let the rumours and panic begin.

Morton Working??? You are kidding surely!!!

The Age are really scrounging today....Job cuts were announced there last week, so it is hardly suprising.

Yes... Caro's been scrounging all season with her nothing articles about Cameron Schwab.Then there was last week's pathetic headline story about the possibility of Collingwood bringing back Darren Millane's No 42 !!

( As to Fev, the fact that he kicked 5 is a tribute to his ability to sniff a goal-scoring opportunity - because he was relatively quiet ... and didn't dominate the forward structure like we were afraid he might. Although he seems to have lost a fair bit of weight since his trip to LA ... he's not yet fit enough to command the whole forward line ( or to attract the interest of GWS or anyone else))

Yes... Caro's been scrounging all season with her nothing articles about Cameron Schwab.Then there was last week's pathetic headline story about the possibility of Collingwood bringing back Darren Millane's No 42 !!

( As to Fev, the fact that he kicked 5 is a tribute to his ability to sniff a goal-scoring opportunity - because he was relatively quiet ... and didn't dominate the forward structure like we were afraid he might. Although he seems to have lost a fair bit of weight since his trip to LA ... he's not yet fit enough to command the whole forward line ( or to attract the interest of GWS or anyone else))

Yes the Age is seriously plummetting in readership numbers, so you wonder about the editorial standards right now. Caroline Wilson's articles this year i have found for the most part to be just dull, particularly the one on Darren Millane, that should never have got a full page. One of the few times i have agreed with K.B!!!

Wouldnt the GWS talent spotters be derelict in their duties not to attend half a dozen or more VFL games, as well as SANFL and WAFL leagues, to flush out potential 'depth' recruits. I cant see the harm in them picking up half a dozen James Wall types from around these leagues to go with the half dozen or so senior AFL players they'll nab, and the 74 highly rated and drafted kids.

Guest hangon007

Have to say that my resistance to Fev joining the MFC in 2012 is diminishing by the week... :o

I'm with you I would have a crack at him if we could Rookie him but only on that basis ... effectively he could become our second veteran ... assuming he put in a huge pre-season then we upgrade on to our list yet not costing us a senior spot.

nooooooooooooo !!! theyre after Elvis :rolleyes:

oh..btw..they can have Morton

No thanks. Morton has some deficiencies in his game. That's why he is working on this at vfl level. I wouldn't want to invest this time in him to see another club capitalise eg gws.

If he were to go ( I would be v unhappy) what pick would we get if he is out of contract do you think?

No thanks. Morton has some deficiencies in his game. That's why he is working on this at vfl level. I wouldn't want to invest this time in him to see another club capitalise eg gws.

If he were to go ( I would be v unhappy) what pick would we get if he is out of contract do you think?

No offence but it always ammuses me , the argument that we cant divest ourselves of anyone as we've invested in them.

We invest in everyone. We pay them, we train them and on and on. ANd after all is said and done if they arent 'repaying " us to the level we wish then despite any investment we need to move on.

Cale is without doubnt talented. That alone isnt enough. He doesnt impact on games. Im happy for another ( team ) to have a go and pay us f or the priveledge.

We are still too soft as a club...and hang on to players too long...Clever clubs spot shortcomings and trade whilest not everyone realises what theyre getting. In some instances new clubs bring out a player.. always to the chagrin of the club they left.

Id be happy to get a decent pick...and at same time bring someone else on

Have to say that my resistance to Fev joining the MFC in 2012 is diminishing by the week... :o

Mine isnt.

To date he has one game where he has kicked 5 when Casey were steamrolling another side.

If he was focussed, if he complied with even the most basic tenets of fitness, Fevola should be carving up the VFL in no uncertain terms.He hasn't been and is nowhere near the level of football fitness and off field stability that he should be if he was really serious about AFL.

He aint. He is 31 next year and a truck load of baggage.

If the choice is between developing a promising young player or punting on Fevola with a future for our window in 2014 to 2017, the answer is easy. It aint Fev.

Mine isnt.

To date he has one game where he has kicked 5 when Casey were steamrolling another side.

If he was focussed, if he complied with even the most basic tenets of fitness, Fevola should be carving up the VFL in no uncertain terms.He hasn't been and is nowhere near the level of football fitness and off field stability that he should be if he was really serious about AFL.

If the choice is between developing a promising young player or punting on Fevola with a future for our window in 2014 to 2017, the answer is easy. It aint Fev.

+1

Guest 36DD

Or they could have been scouting the Bendigo AFL or VFL listed players

or the scout lives nearby and has a neighbour playing and just dropped in to watch a bit of local footy

Have it on good authority that GWS were there to scout Prismall and Dyson, contact is close to Essendon so not sure which MFC players they were having a look at.

Mine isnt.

I'm not suggesting Fev is a fast track to a flag. However, as a fan i want to be entertained and to enjoy watching Melb play the next 59 games prior to the magic of 2014. If Fev helps us knock off the Blues , Dons, Pies or Hawks in the next couple of years then fantastic. If he stops Dunn getting a run too bad.

Come on Melb toss us fans a bone while we wait another 3 years...

I'm not suggesting Fev is a fast track to a flag. However, as a fan i want to be entertained and to enjoy watching Melb play the next 59 games prior to the magic of 2014. If Fev helps us knock off the Blues , Dons, Pies or Hawks in the next couple of years then fantastic. If he stops Dunn getting a run too bad.

Come on Melb toss us fans a bone while we wait another 3 years...

might turn out to be poisoned bait - be wary of what you wish for