• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Vent Your Spleen

gOLLy

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest watts04

question jones - someone started a thread last week and i didnt comment but for a senior player he is not up to it

hello gys

No leadership at all today.

Love Green but questioning him as captain.

Senior blokes are not displaying unity, a lot of my mates who follow the Hawks commented on how little the young blokes were being encouraged by the likes of Moloney, Sylvia, Davey etc..

Can't blame the coach for the lack of onfield heart, that is the captains department, but the lack of inspiration and passion (particularly at 3/4 time) falls flat on Dean Bailey.

Come on Dees, we have the players, we have the club, let's get the f*#@ing HEART!

Feeling pretty flat atm. A few things were reinforced for me today...

We rely too heavily on Davey to provide run and create opportunities. Whenever he gets a hard tag he disappears out of the game.

Jones has reached his ceiling and adds little value to the team. Just doesn't get enough clearances for an inside midfielder.

Grimes is rated too highly by too many. Clever footballer that marks well above his head for his size but his kicking is only average. Gets run down from behind too often and his kick lacks penetration resulting in turnovers.

Edited by big tuna

If you were listening to AW you probably heard me crack it on my way home. Anyway...

- For a side to come out being IN FRONT at half time and capitulate to that extent is unforgivable.

- Bailey must go. There is not anything resembling any heart in this football side. We have the legend himself, Jim Stynes, as president. We have the ability to get men like Ron Barassi and Garry Lyon down to help this football club UNDERSTAND what it must be. Yet the players do not understand and shirk away in the face of a challenge.

- Jetta is not good enough.

- I have never left a Melbourne game before the final siren until tonight. The Koo Wee Rup Seconds (no offence to anyone who lives/plays for Koo Wee Rup) would have done a better job against Hawthorn than that bunch of prima donnas.

Just like they did against Sydney last week being 24 points down. :rolleyes:

They didn't quit last week and I was surprised, as compared to the Bulldogs, Freo and North games last year. Dealing with the club getting smashed by a better side is fine, but Hawthorn were not all that much better. We had them on the ropes and then just rolled over.

reality is, MFC never had them on the ropes, they kept melbourne in the game for one quarter by kicking poorly. 45 point loss today was a good result considering they had plenty of shots on goal, and MFC only had 19. MFC are VERY luck for a 45 point loss, very lucky.

They didn't quit last week and I was surprised, as compared to the Bulldogs, Freo and North games last year. Dealing with the club getting smashed by a better side is fine, but Hawthorn were not all that much better. We had them on the ropes and then just rolled over.

Come on, if they kicked straight it would have been game over at quarter time.

We had some breath taking moments in the second, and showed how good we can be when we win the contested footy, but they dominated in all but that one quarter.

They are a far better team, with a far superior midfield and they'll get much further than us this year. If you believed otherwise than you believed the unjustified hype.

In fact, I'm going to guess that the team that played them last year was more experienced than the team we had playing tonight.

Guest watts04

midfield is no good...

jones needs to go back to casey, he is anything but a leader....glad people r seein this

not sold on moloney either

give me gys and scully anyday

I hardly know where to begin. I am not expecting mircles this year but game plan improvement and at least a red-hot-go. Bailey's mantra has been "win more quarters than your opposition". His mantra failed tonight. We were thrashed in but one quarter.

TEAM

Backline structure at kick-ins was embarrassing. Repeating the same sequence six times in a row in third quarter and not working once. Backline coach needs a rod hot poker shoved somewhere. And how SLOW do we get our kick-ins started???

We were murdered at ground level. First, not one forward roved a pack well all night and we chose to use our known small forward as a sub. At times a player was in the right spot but standing bloody still and the mobile Hawks carried it away with disgusting ease. Second, so many times tonight, Jamar got his hand on it and it was instantly two Hawks to one Dee player, and within one second it was three Hawks to one Dee or four to two. The stoppages showed we do not know how to set up against a strong midfield and we don't know how to play out from a stoppage. Front runners only on a fast break.

Endeavour. Do you remember some of those really light, no-grunt games we played under Daniher where we showed our skill but no ticker? Some of our players tonight ran OK, and the second quarter was thrilling, but that gut running, team building, " I wanna run through wall" feel was never there tonight. This was the saddest thing. No ticker.

Watts and Jurrah led well at times tonight but our mids seemed unwilling to kick to a 50/50 involving these guys one-on-one. When they did kick it to them the kick was of such poor quality possession was impossible. How many times tonight did Jack Watts lead well to be ignored, or to have the ball delivered to him 1 metre from the boudary line after there was time enough for two oppenents to close his space?

The ease at which the Hawks got it out of their defence was also embarrassing. They used the southern wing as if it was a desert - no Dees plays within Cooee, often overlapping in waves of three on one.

INDIVIDUALS

Jetta - too many errors at vital moments. Needs a number of weeks at Casey.

Frawley - a really bad game from a great player. Needs match fitness desperately.

Bartram - outclassed by Rioli (actually Rioli outclassed every Dee opponent he played on)

Grimes reads the ball so well, has great courage and marks brilliantly for his size. But I am beginning to conclude he can't kick and this could place a shadow over his effectiveness.

Edited by Maldonboy38

Come on, if they kicked straight it would have been game over at quarter time.

We had some breath taking moments in the second, and showed how good we can be when we win the contested footy, but they dominated in all but that one quarter.

They are a far better team, with a far superior midfield and they'll get much further than us this year. If you believed otherwise than you believed the unjustified hype.

In fact, I'm going to guess that the team that played them last year was more experienced than the team we had playing tonight.

You can't forgive your situation though. I was shattered at the draw last season in the same situation against Collingwood. Regardless of the scoring shots, at half time the Dees were in front and playing superbly. Yet by the end of the third quarter it was literally game over.

In the end, if you're in the game you've got to take your opportunities.

And while yes, there was the hype, I did have my own pre-formed expectations of finals football based on results last season. But to concede like that puts us well into the bottom half of the table, and that is what worries me for a side that should well be taking the big boys on.

midfield is no good...

jones needs to go back to casey, he is anything but a leader....glad people r seein this

not sold on moloney either

give me gys and scully anyday

Well at least no one is talking crap about Watts... Moloney had a off game, but he has plenty of great turnouts, so we can give him today.

Unfortunately the biggest problem at the moment is our inability to clear the ball effectively from kick ins / defence.

Through a lack of any real EFFECTIVE plan we end up selecting options that require precision kicks and when they don't come off we cough it up and the opposition make us pay. That has been a glaring problem for 3 years and i yet to see any development of that part of our game.

Grimes, Rivers, Frawley, Bartram, Garland and whoever else is down there are too often left with too few options and are forced to kick to contests.

Structure and a defniative game plan for clearing the ball from kickins are what is desperately required.

Well at least no one is talking crap about Watts... Moloney had a off game, but he has plenty of great turnouts, so we can give him today.

There is something wrong at the club because the players are not doing the small things that are needed to win games. I just don't think Bailey has the experience or knowledge of the game to be a senior coach. You have to wonder on what criteria he got the job.

Maybe it is time for a simple game plan because the players cannot play this strange way forever.

Was really disappointed in Jurrah. Needs to work harder when he doesn't have the ball.

Pretty poor performance. In the 3rd quarter, I honestly reckon we were worse than GC last night. Hawthorn are a better team no doubt, but we need to be more competitive. We were lucky not to lose the game by 80-100 points. It was a step back, but we have Brisbane and GC over next two weeks. Really need to play well and beat both of these teams comfortably for some confidence.

Moloney was horrible tonight. I didn't watch the whole game (too painful) but every time he went near the ball, it was a turnover/mistake. The 3rd quarter was embarrassing. Hawthorn just kept it in their forward 50 and had countless shows on goal.