Air Jurrah T-Shirts

Following a few suggestions on the MFC t-shirt competition thread I have been persuaded to get some Air Jurrah t-shirts made up, with the profits going to the Mt Theo program in Yuendumu.

I've looked into it and for time and money purposes it is much easier to do it with online t-shirt companies that can print and even distribute the t-shirts directly, with a commission sent to myself which I will then pass on to the Mt Theo program. The issue is that to do it this way the deign cannot breach copyright and the Air Jurrah design clearly does that as I just made a few adjustments to the Air Jordan logo. Obviously this is just a small venture but if I can avoid any legal issues I will at all costs.

Therefore, I have been playing around with a free Photoshop program called Gimp and have come up with some alternate and original Air Jurrah designs (based off his Mark of the Year photos). Personally, I would much prefer to use the original Air Jurrah but if it is going to be done properly I think it's easier to just leave it. Below I have made a quick example of something, not final just an idea (I had trouble getting a clean outline of Jurrah, hence the filter I put on the image).

Therefore, what I would like to know is if you would still be interested in Air Jurrah t-shirts if they aren't the original design and if so would you be interested in something similar as per the design below or is it not worth it at all?

Any feedback would be great.

AJBlueShirt.jpg?t=1300092075

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest - I think I like the air Jurrah 2.0 better! Just my opinion.

Other option - sell the original Air Jurrah file to us individually, then we can get our own tshirts printed up. Not sure if that is a realistic option or not - just throwing it out there!

To be honest - I think I like the air Jurrah 2.0 better! Just my opinion.

Other option - sell the original Air Jurrah file to us individually, then we can get our own tshirts printed up. Not sure if that is a realistic option or not - just throwing it out there!

If anyone wants to use the Air Jurrah image and get it printed themselves they are more than welcome. The paying for the shirts option just came up after a suggestion from Jaded to donate profits to a good cause.

Following a few suggestions on the MFC t-shirt competition thread I have been persuaded to get some Air Jurrah t-shirts made up, with the profits going to the Mt Theo program in Yuendumu.

I've looked into it and for time and money purposes it is much easier to do it with online t-shirt companies that can print and even distribute the t-shirts directly, with a commission sent to myself which I will then pass on to the Mt Theo program. The issue is that to do it this way the deign cannot breach copyright and the Air Jurrah design clearly does that as I just made a few adjustments to the Air Jordan logo. Obviously this is just a small venture but if I can avoid any legal issues I will at all costs.

Therefore, I have been playing around with a free Photoshop program called Gimp and have come up with some alternate and original Air Jurrah designs (based off his Mark of the Year photos). Personally, I would much prefer to use the original Air Jurrah but if it is going to be done properly I think it's easier to just leave it. Below I have made a quick example of something, not final just an idea (I had trouble getting a clean outline of Jurrah, hence the filter I put on the image).

Therefore, what I would like to know is if you would still be interested in Air Jurrah t-shirts if they aren't the original design and if so would you be interested in something similar as per the design below or is it not worth it at all?

Any feedback would be great.

AJBlueShirt.jpg?t=1300092075

Nice work CB.

The writing could be Red over Blue with White outline? Or a dark Red.

love it. I will buy one.

Whats the profit margin for $20,30,40??

I thing $20.

you'll sell more because its cheaper and make more profit

I think keep the design.

And typically the t-shirts you get through these types of companies aren't very good quality t-shirts. Try and get t-shirts that have a loose collar around the neck,

love it. I will buy one.

Whats the profit margin for $20,30,40??

I thing $20.

you'll sell more because its cheaper and make more profit

I think keep the design.

And typically the t-shirts you get through these types of companies aren't very good quality t-shirts. Try and get t-shirts that have a loose collar around the neck,

Depends on the site, there are a lot around. Some sites have a fixed commission where they set the price and the commission always stays the same while for others you choose the commission but higher commission means higher price.

HAVE WE ANY COPYRIGHT LAWYERS ON HERE THAT CAN ADVISE US HOW TO GET AROUND THIS ISSUE. THE ORIGINAL DESIGN EPITOMISES LIAM AND IT WOULD BE A SHAME TO LOSE IT.

Do you mean copyright of the image, or the title, 'Air Jurrah'?

If it's the Title, what if > Ayre Jurrah?

Maybe contact the club to see where it sits for the T-shirt comp regarding copyright... Maybe they will pay royalties to the right people to use/alter the logo.

I know that you wanted to do this separately but if you add in the marketing of the club and then the distribution as official wear you will see a lot more of the Air Jurrah shirts then just those willing to purchase here...

Great work - i'd buy one of either designs. Agree with those who say that the 1st design has the most charm due to the air jordan connotations etc

In terms of copy right, im not expert in the matter but there are plenty of shirts sold in shops like "crazy Tee's" etc which are parodies of popular brands etc? Not sure if simialr shops exist in Vic, but they are around in Perth. My point is that these parody shirts that you see around and are sold in shops; Vaginamite (Vegemite), Nofriendo (nintendo) etc are basically the exact same logo as the well known brands, but they just change a few letters or words. I'd be interested to find out what loopholes they go through to presumably be able to print the shirts without copy right issues?

Great work - i'd buy one of either designs. Agree with those who say that the 1st design has the most charm due to the air jordan connotations etc

In terms of copy right, im not expert in the matter but there are plenty of shirts sold in shops like "crazy Tee's" etc which are parodies of popular brands etc? Not sure if simialr shops exist in Vic, but they are around in Perth. My point is that these parody shirts that you see around and are sold in shops; Vaginamite (Vegemite), Nofriendo (nintendo) etc are basically the exact same logo as the well known brands, but they just change a few letters or words. I'd be interested to find out what loopholes they go through to presumably be able to print the shirts without copy right issues?

I have zero expertise however this may be the loophole you are interested in...

COPYRIGHT ACT 1968 - SECT 41A

Fair dealing for purpose of parody or satire

A fair dealing with a literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work, or with an adaptation of a literary, dramatic or musical work, does not constitute an infringement of the copyright in the work if it is for the purpose of parody or satire.

Copywrite Act.

I have zero expertise however this may be the loophole you are interested in...

COPYRIGHT ACT 1968 - SECT 41A

Fair dealing for purpose of parody or satire

A fair dealing with a literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work, or with an adaptation of a literary, dramatic or musical work, does not constitute an infringement of the copyright in the work if it is for the purpose of parody or satire.

Copywrite Act.

nicely researched!

Same here. Prefer the orig but would buy a couple of whatever's going ...

yes i would buy it,but prefer original