Colin Garland

rpfc

Well?  

127 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Pretty straightforward.

He can't play on monsters but he is a key defender.

He plays taller than he is and runs off the taller players.

He can play small aswell, but so can Frawley and he is only a cm shorter than the gorilla tamer.

What say the masses?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had no preseason at all last season and missed the whole year before that but still managed a solid year. Can play tall and small and will be SO much better next year with a full preseason under his belt. Don't worry bout Col he's 100% In our starting 18. To answer the question he is a versatile defender and in this day and age they are great value. Won his rising star nomination playing on Buddy.. enough said.

Pretty straightforward.

He can't play on monsters but he is a key defender.

He plays taller than he is and runs off the taller players.

He can play small aswell, but so can Frawley and he is only a cm shorter than the gorilla tamer.

What say the masses?

No, to me at this stage. However I see him as a JRivers type who will be able to take over from Riv when he's finished. I don't see Riv as a true key defender either but more a versatile 3rd tall.

We have to true tall defenders in Frawley & Warnock, but how long Warnock can keep going is the question in my mind.

Yes. Not many teams require 2 big boys (eg. both Warnock and Frawley). Most require just Frawley and Garland/Rivers who whilst both a tad undersized can make do. Collingwood have Brown (taking Presti's role) as their only big key defender and get by with the slightly taller than Garland but not hugely stronger Reid and Maxwell. Same with St Kilda with Dawson at full back and Gwilt stepping up as their main CHB late this year.

Yes. He can hold down CHB or FB depending on the Frawley match-up.

I really rate Col and hope that with a full pre-season under his belt he can have another really good season.

Good key defenders usually age like good wine. They gain their edge with experience and maturity. I have no doubt that Colin has the goods to deliver long term. I'm more uncertain of those that burst into the scene too quickly.

Edited by america de cali

If it's a something you judge on a scale... ie, Gehrig would be a 10 on the KP player scale. Someone like Robbo would be about a 4... Then yes, he's a KP forward. He doesn't look like one, to be sure, but the way he plays is so often man-on-man, keeping up with a quick-ish KP forward on the lead, spoiling. He's a challenge to match up on for some reason.

Where he falls down is in the wrestling in the square and in the general body-on-body stuff where he has been pushed aside from time to time, through no fault of his own. What he does do is get back up and try again though. Occasionally he over-commits, but I'd rather a player err on the side of trying too hard, than not trying hard enough.

If you want to mark the players as KP defenders though, there's a reason the whole league is creaming itself over Chip. The guy is prototypical as a KP defender. Tough as old boots, runs all day and runs fast, is incredibly strong in the wrestling, rarely makes a bad choice, rebounds better than most HB flanks, keeps up on the lead, tenacious, hard to get in the head of. He's just... well... "perfect" for his position. And his much-publicised kicking issues have been proven to be unfounded. When you put his skill set next to Garland's, there's no comparison... But then Garland is still a strong player.

I'm trying to think of a BETTER key position defender in my time (going on his last season, and potential obviously)... I'd say maybe Neitz? And he didn't even play there all that long. Ingerson? Nicholson? Do we even HAVE any in our history in the last 10-15 years?

I agree that the forwards are today are more mobile, and teams usually don't have more than one 'gorilla.'

Garland will still take the second tall (CHF/FF), and without getting into a semantical pissing match, that makes him a KP defender.

Good to see most of us are on the right page.

No- he is a dashing HBF or could make a sensational winger. Notbig enough to be a tradional key Full back or Centre half back but could definately go there if required.A great versatile player. Warnock, Frawley, Rivers would be my key tall backman with Davis and maybe Cook developing behind them.I also see Tom McDonald being a key player there if we develop him accordingly.Garland is too critical of a player to not utilize his speed in a flank or wing position IMO.

Where have you been?

He has been playing KP back since Bailey threw him in the deep end in 2008.

And he is excellent at it.

I have been in Melbourne watching every game whilst you have been in Canberra sleeping.Garland has played on either as a HBF or BP for most of the games but he has been mainly the kicker in whilst Grimes has been sleeping.Wake in in 2011 at least.I have just watched 15 replays from this year to confirm my point.With the recruiting of Campbell as a back up ruckman/defender , you might ,and I hope he does, play on a wing this year..

Edited by jayceebee31

No- he is a dashing HBF or could make a sensational winger. Notbig enough to be a tradional key Full back or Centre half back but could definately go there if required.A great versatile player. Warnock, Frawley, Rivers would be my key tall backman with Davis and maybe Cook developing behind them.I also see Tom McDonald being a key player there if we develop him accordingly.Garland is too critical of a player to not utilize his speed in a flank or wing position IMO.

Wow i couldn't disagree more.

The thing I love most about our defence is that we have 2 tall, exceptionally quick, versatile, highly skilled key backs who, most importantly, invariably seem to have a nack for getting in a spoil and preventing a mark in the forward 50. The two men, Frawley and Garland, will be the cornerstone of our defence for the next 10 years. The other defensive spots can be slotted in around them, because we know that Chip and Garland are capable of taking on, beating, and rebounding against the best forwards in the league.

Garland's exceptional attribute is his ability to almost always spoil his opponent through his speed, long arms, positioning and reading of the play.

I would be truly disappointed if we broke up this tandem.

The great thing is that no matter if the opposition's 2 best forwards are small (Betts and Yarran) or tall (Franklin and Roughead), the same two blokes can take on and beat them!

Wow i couldn't disagree more.

The thing I love most about our defence is that we have 2 tall, exceptionally quick, versatile, highly skilled key backs who, most importantly, invariably seem to have a nack for getting in a spoil and preventing a mark in the forward 50. The two men, Frawley and Garland, will be the cornerstone of our defence for the next 10 years. The other defensive spots can be slotted in around them, because we know that Chip and Garland are capable of taking on, beating, and rebounding against the best forwards in the league.

Garland's exceptional attribute is his ability to almost always spoil his opponent through his speed, long arms, positioning and reading of the play.

I would be truly disappointed if we broke up this tandem.

The great thing is that no matter if the opposition's 2 best forwards are small (Betts and Yarran) or tall (Franklin and Roughead), the same two blokes can take on and beat them!

I have always respected your views but definately disagree with ya on this one. Garland is to valuable as an attacking player , similar to a Harry O'Brien type. Creative, defensive yet an extremely attacking type.54 days to go, if I can count properly to our first NAB cup game, so not too long before we find out.

I have always respected your views but definately disagree with ya on this one. Garland is to valuable as an attacking player , similar to a Harry O'Brien type. Creative, defensive yet an extremely attacking type.54 days to go, if I can count properly to our first NAB cup game, so not too long before we find out.

Sorry JCB but i agree with Sylvinator on this one. Frawley and Garland are the perfect 'modern' key position backs. Who better to use his pace and skills against than a slower kp forward and make him look silly. The beautiful thing about he and Frawley is that from the last line of defence, both are great at spoiling and then being able to run and carry the ball out with pace and skill. Absolutely perfect for what we need.

Rivers and/or MacDonald are then perfect foils for the floating third defender to come across the pack and take the mark and Grimes as the link man out of defence.

Warnock is more of the old school KP back and i still greatly value him but in our best team, he wouldn't be playing.

As for the latest draftees, it would be great if all of them came on the way we wished but reality says that one, two or maybe even 3 won't.

With Garland and Frawley filling those key back posts, and Watts developing as a CHF, i would bet that Cook is then groomed to be the deep forward to move LJ to a pocket where he can float around and be even more devastating.

Bottom line, i believe Garland serves the team best where he has been playing and that is deep in defence.

Sorry JCB but i agree with Sylvinator on this one. Frawley and Garland are the perfect 'modern' key position backs. Who better to use his pace and skills against than a slower kp forward and make him look silly. The beautiful thing about he and Frawley is that from the last line of defence, both are great at spoiling and then being able to run and carry the ball out with pace and skill. Absolutely perfect for what we need.

Rivers and/or MacDonald are then perfect foils for the floating third defender to come across the pack and take the mark and Grimes as the link man out of defence.

Warnock is more of the old school KP back and i still greatly value him but in our best team, he wouldn't be playing.

As for the latest draftees, it would be great if all of them came on the way we wished but reality says that one, two or maybe even 3 won't.

With Garland and Frawley filling those key back posts, and Watts developing as a CHF, i would bet that Cook is then groomed to be the deep forward to move LJ to a pocket where he can float around and be even more devastating.

Bottom line, i believe Garland serves the team best where he has been playing and that is deep in defence.

Respect your views also- we will just have to wait and see..because again I feel, the 4 major talls on the backline,now we have Campbell are Frawley,Rivers, Warnock & Campbell and I wouldn't be surprised if we re tried Martin done there as well when required. Therefore too many talls at the one time-na Garland definately HBF or Wing..GO DEES.

Respect your views also- we will just have to wait and see..because again I feel, the 4 major talls on the backline,now we have Campbell are Frawley,Rivers, Warnock & Campbell and I wouldn't be surprised if we re tried Martin done there as well when required. Therefore too many talls at the one time-na Garland definately HBF or Wing..GO DEES.

Yep, if Martin can get back then i think he is best suited in defence so you have a point there.

Only 53 and a half days left now.......... :)

Bugger Christmas, bring on Feb!!!

I said no, but that's not to say he can't, or hasn't, played key position.

But I reckon at his best he's not tied down to one opponent and he can float around a bit.

I concur..He could end up being the versatile replacement of Bruce..a Mr Fix it ..but I would hate to see his qualities being wasted in a negative sense..

Edited by jayceebee31

I said no, but that's not to say he can't, or hasn't, played key position.

But I reckon at his best he's not tied down to one opponent and he can float around a bit.

Rivers is the better 'floater' if that is what you are envisioning.

Garland, as Sylvinator said, allows us to have a defender on a FF/CHF or 'key' forward and still use him as a offensive weapon.

Rivers is the better 'floater' if that is what you are envisioning.

Garland, as Sylvinator said, allows us to have a defender on a FF/CHF or 'key' forward and still use him as a offensive weapon.

Are you saying that Warnock, Martin and or Campbell will not or should not get a game in your best team ?.Then, if that is the case I understand your point/s further. However, in my best team- one of the above, now we have a Sub and only 3 interchanges will need to play to assist Jamar..

I concur..He could end up being the versatile replacement of Bruce..a Mr Fix it ..but I would hate to see his qualities being wasted in a negative sense..

Agree to disagree i guess.

Firstly, being a Bruce-style Mr Fix it is NOT, as I assume your point is, using Garland is a more valuable way. In fact, it is using his skills and talents in a way that is less valuable to the team.

Secondly, I disagree with any suggestion that Garland playing as a key back is in any way 'wasting' him in a negative role. The new-age key defender can stop their opponent, peal off when appropriate, attack at the right times, and can be an extremely valuable commodity to any team. Think Brian Lake, Harry Taylor, Craig Bolten (in his prime) etc.

We are extremely fortunate to have 2 players (Frawley and Garland) who can play that role excellently. We should feel privileged, rather than trying to turn him into some Mr Fix it.

I have been in Melbourne watching every game whilst you have been in Canberra sleeping.Garland has played on either as a HBF or BP for most of the games but he has been mainly the kicker in whilst Grimes has been sleeping.Wake in in 2011 at least.I have just watched 15 replays from this year to confirm my point.With the recruiting of Campbell as a back up ruckman/defender , you might ,and I hope he does, play on a wing this year..

Wide awake up here.

He has played on the second tall. Frawley gets the best tall and Garland gets the second best. They try to get Rivers on a resting ruckman or slower tall.

Warnock is not a weapon in terms of using the footy when we turn it over and can only play a negative role.

Campbell is a ruckman and won't play a defensive role at all, I have no idea where you are getting this idea from. I have heard nothing from the FD that would see Campbell as anything other than a ruckman to support Jamar.

And put Garland into our midfield? No spots for him in our blue chip midfield.