Stefan Martin injury

Hanka

Okay, I'll say it.

Newton?!?

;)

Unfortunately, Martin's at seriuos risk of being delisted at year's end.

In defence, he's probably 6th in line, at the very minimum. As a 2nd ruckman, he's not much of a ruckman. Newton was more effective than him in the second ruck role.

We tried to turn him into a big bodied forward, and while he can kick the occasional great goal, he's just not a natural forward.

Potentially could be kept on purely as depth, but won't play much next year

Unfortunately, Martin's at seriuos risk of being delisted at year's end.

In defence, he's probably 6th in line, at the very minimum. As a 2nd ruckman, he's not much of a ruckman. Newton was more effective than him in the second ruck role.

We tried to turn him into a big bodied forward, and while he can kick the occasional great goal, he's just not a natural forward.

Potentially could be kept on purely as depth, but won't play much next year

IMO, I think your wrong about Martin. I think he showed good signs last year or the year before, with his cameo appearances in the Dees ruck, showing some nice tapouts here & there. I reckon he can learn to play forward but unfortunately this year has been a blowout for him, so his fast tracking has been thrown a curveball. He is contracted next year as it says in the Dees website article, so his preseason is now imperative for his critical 2011 season.

He has to have a good solid season next year, or then he could be in trouble if it doesn't happen.

I believe he can do it, & has the skill sets to continue his development & make it at AFL level.

Edited by dee-luded

Martin is contracted, and is going nowhere.

Take a step back and stop circling like the list vultures that you are.

Touchy.

Are we not allowed to talk about players who are under some threat?

It's fine when it's someone you don't like, like PJ isn't it?

I went out to Visy for a pre-season game against the Bombers (iirc) and he would have had 4-5 extra set shots if he hadn't dropped sodas. Holding chest marks etc has nothing to do with being a natural forward, but leading and drawing the footy does, and he was doing that okay.

I'm interested to see how Martin goes next year. I still think there's some promise, and it's not like we've got a bunch of stellar ruck possibles, particularly if you exclude youngsters Fitz and Gawn.

To me, Newton shows promise in that role. Meesen seems to be a write-off, I'm still not convinced by PJ, and there's Stef. You might add Spencer there if you think we can play Jamar and Spencer in the same side long-term (I'm not sure about that).

Touchy.

Are we not allowed to talk about players who are under some threat?

It's fine when it's someone you don't like, like PJ isn't it?

If you're into wasting your energy speculating on impossible things, like contracted players getting delisted, then go right ahead.

Personally I'd rather deal with facts than listen to posters who declare the premature death of our players' career.

I spoke with Stef a couple of weeks ago and he told me of his hip injury and how it affected him for most of the season. He'll probably have some surgery done sooner rather than later and then start working on his pre season. It's not possible to assess him on an injury riddled season and I fully expect him to be around the club next year, hopefully playing some good footy. At 198cm and with his pace, he's well worth hanging onto - especially for his versatility.

Good idea to put him away for the year. Battling away in Casey 2's can't be good for anyone.

I think the rookie list similar to Newton and Meesen this year wouldn't be the worst place for him next year. But I'm not ready to give up on him yet regardless of whether we think he deserves to be contracted or not.

If you're into wasting your energy speculating on impossible things, like contracted players getting delisted, then go right ahead.

Personally I'd rather deal with facts than listen to posters who declare the premature death of our players' career.

It's a football forum Jaded.

What do you think people do on here...

Yeah, I get what you're saying, but...

You say this:

Take a step back and stop circling like the list vultures that you are.

Then this:

Which one is it?

He's contracted, sure, but we can still suggest he's in a bit of trouble. I think he might be a victim of the fact that for the first time in 3 years the 3-6 delistings aren't picking themselves. For once we might find we're losing players we could have perhaps kept for a year or two longer, like Maric or McNamara. Not sure on their contract situations either.

Martin is still a RAW prospect, and his true position is yet to be determined.

Steph is a ripper at reading the play as a backman.

If he can get his body right, he still could be a player at the top level.

How about we wait and see until the end of next year before we bring out the axe. It took Jamar forever and a day to get there, Steph deserves the same patience.

Just out of interest, how many hip injuries has the club sustained this year?

For some reason to me it seems to stick out more this season than in previous years.

Has our style of training meant fewer hamstring and and OP related injuries and created more stress on hips?

Hip injuries are pretty tough...i'm getting surgery on my hip next month for a labral tear...i was told to try and push through the pain by my doctor...but in the end the injury got the better of me...if he's getting surgery for a similar issue then i would expect him to be right come 2011 preseason.

Will be demoted to rookie list then delisted following year. Experiment gone wrong. Shame he is a great friendly bloke!

STOP IT!!!

This isn't something that just happens.

I don't know how many times I need to point this out. There is promotion from the rookie list, not demotion to the rookie list. There is only delisting.

STOP IT!!!

This isn't something that just happens.

I don't know how many times I need to point this out. There is promotion from the rookie list, not demotion to the rookie list. There is only delisting.

Agreed. The delist and re-rookie is something you only do to players you don't want to keep, but are contracted because it's expensive (still got to pay full wages and it all counts under the cap) and risky (because you may lose the player). I don't think there are any players at all that fit this criterion this year and even if there was, Martin is definitely not one of them.

On how many times you need to point it out, that's a bottomless pit buddy. My experience with footy forums is that they're full of people who want to sprout their opinions with no desire to actually learn anything about the game or the way the politics of it work. You'll need to keep pointing it out an infinite number of times until you give up in frustration.

Stef's had a really tough year. If the rumours are true he's had his share of problems off field to go with several injuries on it. However, towards the beginning of the year he did some absolutely breathtaking things on the field. He is well worth the time to see if he can get himself back into shape and develop into a seriously good player for the MFC.

Personally I hope he has time over the summer to get his body and mind back together. If he can do that we might see some of that potential shining through next year. I'm certainly not going to be jumping off this bandwagon just yet.

Stef's had a really tough year. If the rumours are true he's had his share of problems off field to go with several injuries on it. However, towards the beginning of the year he did some absolutely breathtaking things on the field. He is well worth the time to see if he can get himself back into shape and develop into a seriously good player for the MFC.

Personally I hope he has time over the summer to get his body and mind back together. If he can do that we might see some of that potential shining through next year. I'm certainly not going to be jumping off this bandwagon just yet.

Would you like to enlighten us to the nature of the rumours regarding his off field issues you speak of?