Frawley vs Riewoldt

Back Flanker

How good is this match-up going to be?

Geelong v Filth will get all the media this week, and probably rightly so, but Frawley v Riewoldt will be something special to watch.

Jack Riewoldt: pick 13 2006 draft. 193cm, 87kgs, 64 games.

James Frawley: pick 12 2006 draft. 193cm, 91kgs, 57 games.

Mouth-watering stuff.

Edited by Back Flanker

Beating Riewoldt won't be just because Frawley has a good game.. It will take a team effort to cut of his leads and and run at contests. Garland and Rivers (and Grimes) do this superbly. Adelaide did well in nullifying Riewoldt but failed to then mark up on their other avenues to goal...

I hope we do get this match up because I think Frawley should get the most dangerous forward each week... no matter what their size or position. But I get the feeling DB doesn't like playing him on the last line against full forwards (like Barry Hall), and he could end up playing on one of the Tigers half forwards providing plenty of rebound.

This will be a beauty, but it's up to the midfield to dry up supply, or at least get it out wide.

But i hope chip can hold him to 2-3 goals. I hope it is Beamed into asia on sunday.

Have had no luck with the Demons so far since i have been away-Collingwood every week!!!!

Beating Riewoldt won't be just because Frawley has a good game.. It will take a team effort to cut of his leads and and run at contests. Garland and Rivers (and Grimes) do this superbly. Adelaide did well in nullifying Riewoldt but failed to then mark up on their other avenues to goal...

Cut off his leads? He hardly gets it on the lead. The fact that he has kicked 60+ goals blows my mind. It's mostly bomb it long to Riwoldt and hope type stuff. And he often wins. He'd nearly have 100 already if he was in a team that could hit him on the lead.

But you're on the right track, Rivers and Garland will make it difficult for it to start now.

I hope Chip plays on him, the only one that could match his one on one strength, I don't want Warnock back in.

Wonder if Riewoldt has the engine to chase Chip the other way?

Cut off his leads? He hardly gets it on the lead. The fact that he has kicked 60+ goals blows my mind. It's mostly bomb it long to Riwoldt and hope type stuff. And he often wins. He'd nearly have 100 already if he was in a team that could hit him on the lead.

But you're on the right track, Rivers and Garland will make it difficult for it to start now.

I hope Chip plays on him, the only one that could match his one on one strength, I don't want Warnock back in.

Wonder if Riewoldt has the engine to chase Chip the other way?

It's worth noting that Chip did matchup on Riewoldt earlier this year even though he was apparently unwell. I think bailey puts Frawely on whomever he deems to be the most dangerous forward, be it a small or a big.

I don't expect that to change this week.

I've got the feeling Riewoldt isn't exactly Barry Hall when it comes to being accountable on their direct opponent (Hall is often chasing, or making his opponent pay for drifting off). Could be a frustrating day for the Richmond no. 8

Reiwoldt was the only player to beat Frawley this year.

hope frawley repays the favour this week

This will be a beauty, but it's up to the midfield to dry up supply, or at least get it out wide.

But i hope chip can hold him to 2-3 goals. I hope it is Beamed into asia on sunday.

Have had no luck with the Demons so far since i have been away-Collingwood every week!!!!

Unfortunately the bloke who selects which games to show on the Australia network (for viewers in Asia) refuses to show Melbourne games. Despite being one of the most exciting teams in the comp at the moment, we have not been broadcast since the round 13 loss to Adelaide. This weekends sunday game on the Aussie network is ADEL v WBD (5 weeks in a row for the bulldogs). You are right about Collingwood as well. They are on every weekend. They claim the 1st half of the season was based on giving all teams equal billing, and the 2nd half of the season is selected on the most relevant games. So apparently the Demons are not relevant??!

(Australia network broadcast 4 games every weekend into asia region - HK, Singapore, China, Thailand, Indonesia etc. Games are shown on Friday night, Sat morning, Sat night & Sunday)

You can email the program manager to complain if you like - [email protected]

Reiwoldt was the only player to beat Frawley this year.

hope frawley repays the favour this week

True. It was the only time this year when Frawley has genuinely lowered his colours.

Interesting to know who would take Riewoldt at pick 12 given what we know now ? The fact that we've got Watts developing means that the key back position is more important. And the fact that Frawley is already not far off the best defender I've seen at Melb is significant. That said, a Watts/Riewoldt forward line would have been something.

I'll back in Chip.

But it will also come to assistance from Garland and Rivers and if Richmond continue with the bomb it in theory my thinking is that Jared Rivers will be licking his lips as that is his forte and he will have 15 marks for the day.

I'm predicting a much closer game but the Demons to flex some muscle towards the end and run out 23 point winners.

True. It was the only time this year when Frawley has genuinely lowered his colours.

Interesting to know who would take Riewoldt at pick 12 given what we know now ? The fact that we've got Watts developing means that the key back position is more important. And the fact that Frawley is already not far off the best defender I've seen at Melb is significant. That said, a Watts/Riewoldt forward line would have been something.

Good topic, I am sure they both remember where they were drafted, for my two bob I'd rather Frawley over Riewoldt flags have been won with all sorts of attacks but never without a key defender and I like Frawley as much as I did Sean Wight and I think its been that long since we have developed our own (soon to be a champion) defender

.. The fact that he has kicked 60+ goals blows my mind. It's mostly bomb it long to Riwoldt and hope type stuff. And he often wins....

If he is good enough to take those "bomb and hope" you refer to, he is a decent player.

These are similar to the stupid types of comments I hear about Watts. JR is a decent player, dont start talking [censored] about him. :rolleyes:

Chip will go to Riewoldt. Garland could be good on him, but like many posts mentioned Chip will get the best forward each week, and Riewoldt is having a monster season.

Frawley got the better of him earlier In the year but that was mainly because Jack couldnt kick staight.

I can't remember that far back, but if they played on each other for the duration of the game, I think that Riewoldt is probably entitled to claim he won that battle in round 4.

Riewoldt: 15 kicks / 3 handballs / 12 contested posessions / 9 marks / 5 tackles / 3 goals 4 behinds.

Frawley: 9 kicks / 4 handballs / 2 contested posessions / 6 marks / 1 tackle.

But its all about this weekend for me. Frawley has been nothing short of brilliant, and Riewoldt has averaged 4.6 goals per game since round 8. Its just great to see these two young players becomes so important to their clubs at 20/21 years of age. (Obviously I hope Frawley gives him the belting of his life this weekend though).

Does no-one else remember that Chip was playing unwell. He was apparently as sick as a dog before the game, just didn't want to the miss the game regardless of how he was feeling (i love that type of character in a player).

For a player that relies on strength and speed, feeling unwell would have dramatically reduced his effectiveness. Therefore i'm going to rely on what we see this weekend versus what we saw earlier this year to determine who i think is more effective.

Regardless, its going to be a great matchup.