Negative Reaction to the Win

Guest DeesPower

Guest DeesPower

It is interesting to read the reactions of other supporters to the Demons amazing win on Sunday on opposition forums. The first thing to say it HAS been noticed. Not only by Swans supporters, but by a number of other teams as well. Secondly, it is not always positive. The swans blogs almost universally blamed the umpires (we apparently had 25 players), but a more universal comment is one that we will get continuously over the next decade ie we cheated. We apparently tanked three years in a row "and the AFL should do something about it". It reminds me when I was a boy in our heyday when opposition supporters always complained about our "home ground advantage" ie playing the finals at the MCG.

The more successful we become over the next decade, and it will be another golden era, this accusation will become louder and louder.

Stiff cheese I say, but it will be annoying nevertheless....

Edited by DeesPower

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny. In those 3 years their universal reaction was that we were deplorable, terrible and couldn't win or be competitive. And they were right. Now that we are starting to win occassionally having drafted and developed under AFL rules - we're apparently branded cheats ?

Go figure.

PS. The same has been mentioned about Saints, Hawks, Bulldogs and Blues in the past (even the Pies).

If McMahon hadn't of kicked that goal, things could be a tad different. So blame it on McMahon. :lol:

Every club in the AFL has benefited from draft concessions, salary cap concessions or early picks at some point.

The Swans enjoyed many salary cap concessions, and have chosen to trade away many of their draft picks. It was inevitable that at some point, after long periods of success, that their aging list would catch up with them.

There is no doubt we actively tried to lose game last year, but we have also been truly rubbish for 3 seasons and deserve the picks we've received. Every other club in our position would have done the same thing last year, and let's not forget, that we only got Trengove (who didn't even play on Sunday), because some spud kicked a goal after the siren.

Besides, our best players on Sunday were guys who we drafted outside the top 10 (like Frawley, Bail, Bartram, Garland), or rookies (like Aussie, Davey, Jamar, McKenzie, Jurrah). Our first choice picks in Scully and Watts did not win us the game, and Trengove didn't even play.

So let other supporters have a whinge. It takes nothing away from our performance, and will take nothing away from our future success.

Edited by Jaded

You mean thank McMahon!

Yes, even the Pies have both Pendlebury and Thomas because they tanked the year after making 2 grand finals in a row. Is that not worse than a bottom side?

Prepare for this jealousy. Make sure to point out our shrewd trading, Grimes for Johnstone, Gysberts for McLean. Liam Jurrah, Aaron Davey, Jordie McKenzie as rookies.

Jamie Bennell at pick 35 - as his currency rises & it will, be sure to point out he was a 3rd rounder at pick 35. Luke Tapscott will be a steal at pick 18.

Colin Garland - with Chip Frawley could become the best defensive pair in the league at pick 46.

Let everyone just focus on the early ones but it will take a bit more than Skull, Trengove & Watts to take us to glory.

Fact is we got Trengove as extra and that's it.

Agree with Jaded.

Anyone who thinks we tanked for three years in a row clearly didn't watch us much in that time. They've just totally rewritten history there; what really happened is that our team was utterly and genuinely poo. As far as I'm concerned those draft picks aren't reward for tanking, they're reward for the absolute pain we've had to endure over the last three years. They're also kidding themselves if they think their club would not have acted the same way as ours in the same circumstances.

Guest Yeats_08

I find it most ironic that Swans supporters have labelled us cheats on their forum. They have had the benefit our salary cap concessions for almost their entire existence in Sydney. They have engaged in bad list managment in recent time and now find themselves in the position they are. Make no mistake, Sydney and Brisbane were given every chance to succeed and the rules were bent to better suit them. Staggering that their supporters would now point fingers at the MFC

The more they complain the stronger I feel as it's fear that drives their emotions.

I look forward to hearing more and more whinging. I seek it, I crave it, I grow with it.

Guest Yeats_08

The more they complain the stronger I feel as it's fear that drives their emotions.

I look forward to hearing more and more whinging. I seek it, I crave it, I grow with it.

I LIKE THIS

Every recent successful team cops some criticism.

West Coast had their party boys, Geelong had their father-sons, Brisbane & Sydney had their salary cap concessions, Hawthorn were unsociable.

Opposition supporters will feel the need to justify why their team isn't as good as theirs.

Doesn't worry me as it'll be a blip on the radar amongst all the good press and gushing.

Ya know...I had a similar gut feeling. There is due and warranted concern about Melbourne's growing pro-ess. we're going to whip some butt in coming years.

Good for us... diddums for them !!

Funny, whilst we were whipping boys other's fans enjoyed it....shoe on other foot...not so comfortable.

Im enjoying this :)

Every recent successful team cops some criticism.

West Coast had their party boys, Geelong had their father-sons, Brisbane & Sydney had their salary cap concessions, Hawthorn were unsociable.

Opposition supporters will feel the need to justify why their team isn't as good as theirs.

Doesn't worry me as it'll be a blip on the radar amongst all the good press and gushing.

You can go back further to the 70's when each team still had their "zones". Hawthorn had the best zones, drawing enough talent to take them to all those grand finals. That also wasn't fair - but they were the rules at the time.

I hope we keep winning & the gripes become louder, because then we will become hated - yet respected. More people thru the turnstiles, more money in our pocket.

GO DEES

Actually feedback that ive had from friends ( and they include filth ) is good for us!! Even a Bomber supporter...but hes just a nice guy. !!

Some whinging from some Toiges...to be expected, otherwise its mainly good onya's. Maybe the ferals interstate dont share the love...??

Came up in a conversation .... oh yeah but you guiys tanked !!. I asked ...what would you guys have done? Collingwood supporters, Sainter, Eagle ( a lost soul over here..lol ) all agreed they would. The Toige and Carlton friends said...never.. I had to point out to the Blue their list of trangressons where upon he thought again.lol. The Toig was adamant....but then conceded its probably why theyve stunk for 25 years....I agrred..that and poor shower habits !!

Guest Yeats_08

Actually feedback that ive had from friends ( and they include filth ) is good for us!! Even a Bomber supporter...but hes just a nice guy. !!

Some whinging from some Toiges...to be expected, otherwise its mainly good onya's. Maybe the ferals interstate dont share the love...??

Came up in a conversation .... oh yeah but you guiys tanked !!. I asked ...what would you guys have done? Collingwood supporters, Sainter, Eagle ( a lost soul over here..lol ) all agreed they would. The Toige and Carlton friends said...never.. I had to point out to the Blue their list of trangressons where upon he thought again.lol. The Toig was adamant....but then conceded its probably why theyve stunk for 25 years....I agrred..that and poor shower habits !!

Did you remind the Blue how they scored Kreuzer. Or had he already forgotten Lance Whitnall's 'missed goals' against us?

Did you remind the Blue how they scored Kreuzer. Or had he already forgotten Lance Whitnall's 'missed goals' against us?

Oh yes...that list was just truncated...its simply to long !!!!!! even he wryly laughed

The draft is there to peak and trough AFL teams. I have gone to game after when we are playing locally, and watched the smashing and had to deal with the frustration over the years when Melbourne were at the bottom of the ladder.

Sydney had their premiership win not all that long ago, supporters should stop being selfish and learn to deal with the fact their team lost to a better one on the day.

And it annoys me to tears about this whole 'draft pick' situation. Yes, we got Tom Scully, Jack Trengove, Jack Watts - but we traded for Jack Grimes, and Jordan Gysberts. We won against Carlton and settled for Cale Morton, Jordan Mcscrub kicked that winning goal for Richmond. What more do they have to sook about?

On the day, Trengove wasn't playing Scully contributed but wasn't a massive stand out and neither was Jack Watts our two top picks.

ALSO, maybe Sydney should wake up and come to the realization really how good our drafting has been over the years. Not only for the priority picks, but the rookie and pre-season draft picks.

Rookie Drafts:

- Mark Jamar (2002)

- Aaron Davey (2004)

- Austin Wonaeamirri (2008)

- Jordie McKenzie (2009)

Pre-season draft picks:

- Liam Jurrah (2009)

- Joel Macdonald (2010)

Not to mention late draft pick that are stand out players:

- Colin Garland Pick No.46 overall (2006)

- Ricky Petterd Pick No.30 overall (2006)

- Jamie Bennell Pick No.35 overall (2008)

In my opinion, Sydney are scraping the barrel for excuses and are realizing that our recruitment over the years are finally coming together which will definitely achieve victories like these over the coming years.

/end rant

Sydney had their premiership win not all that long ago, supporters should stop being selfish and learn to deal with the fact their team lost to a better one on the day.

In my opinion, Sydney are scraping the barrel for excuses and are realizing that our recruitment over the years are finally coming together which will definitely achieve victories like these over the coming years.

/end rant

I'd be careful.

I think most supporters once they see their team competing for a premiership want to win as many as possible and be a dynasty.

We could easily find ourselves in 9 years time bemoaning the fact we had such a good list and haven't been able to convert that to a string of premierships.

We may even not win one in the next decade.

But even if we did, I'm sure we'd be bitter trying to accept being on the downward slide having not sat atop the AFL in a Geelong-like manner.

Edited by E25

Rookie Drafts:

- Mark Jamar (2002)

- Aaron Davey (2004)

- Austin Wonaeamirri (2008)

- Jordie McKenzie (2009)

Pre-season draft picks:

- Liam Jurrah (2009)

- Joel Macdonald (2010)

Not to mention late draft pick that are stand out players:

- Colin Garland Pick No.46 overall (2006)

- Ricky Petterd Pick No.30 overall (2006)

- Jamie Bennell Pick No.35 overall (2008)

Wasn't Junior a rookie as well?

from what i could tell, we only had 4 top 10 draft picks playing (scully, watts, sylvia, morton) which only 1 (sylvia) would of got the points on their direct opponent..

In addition to what Rhino said, you don't think Watts got the points over his opponent?

Poor post.

Only Morton came close to breaking even with his opponent on the day.

Guest The Boss

Only Morton came close to breaking even with his opponent on the day.

I don't know what game you were watching, but Morton was clearly beaten by Goodes.