Danny Hughes

Dinosaur Rover

A brief look at the form from Casey Seniors shows that we have some depth in defence with Cheney continuing his great form but who does he displace?

What we lack is forwards. Danny Hughes (I confess a conflict of interest in that he came from Hampton Rovers where I now play) gets a reasonable review.

I saw Danny Hughes in his two matches against the West Coast and WB he was serviceable with 60 super coach points in both games. I thought he showed some promise. Against the Bulldogs the conditions were most adverse for his style of play. The match review says "Danny took nine marks up forward, which was a fair effort. He was a really good target up the ground and forward. He’s very hard to match up on because he has leg speed and he works hard. He’s very versatile." to that I would add that he has a tremendous left foot.

What chance or argument for a recall?

I'm happy to play Green, Bate, Sylvia, Jetta and Watts every week in the forward line. If Hughes wants to get into the side he has to get in front of Dunn and Miller, and do it before Jurrah is back. As he will never be a backup ruck that means he probably needs to star at VFL level as well as develop something in his game. At the moment he looks a nice undersized lead up forward, he needs either good forward pressure, goal kicking ability or something else like sublime skills.

I don't like his chances for a game against Adelaide, but any chance of a recall will need dominant performances in the VFL, starting against Williamstown.

Hughes' problem is his similarity with Green, Bate, Jurrah,Petterd and Dunn. We've got the mid size goal kicking and lead up talls covered. I'm no drafting expert but I'd actually recommend Hughes to another club at the end of the year, for example St Kilda who have Kosi and Roo, and Milne and Schneider but could benefit with Hughes on their books. Could step into a side for a finals campaign like Josh Mahoney did for Port.

I think he was very stiff to get dropped. Not sure why they persist with Miller who should be at Casey for the rest of the year as he offers little. They are playing Watts purely because he is a number 1 draft pick with potential.

Dunn probably has him in terms of versatility.

With Jurrah and Sylvia to come in in puts pressure on Miller, Dunn and Watts.

Another issue is getting the balance right with small fowards, medium and talls.

Our overhead marking on the forward line is our weakness. I'm happy to leave Watts in as long as he plays a half decent game. Green (untouchable) and Sylvia (Petterd next year) are the only two who could be considered reliable overhead contested marks. IMO this is our weakness and Hughes should be given a reasonable chance to show his ability. Ever since I noticed him a few years ago he has been taking 10 marks a game. Very few do it. High marking whether a tall or small intimidates backs and we don't. This is Danny's time and he should not be neglected due to other name players.

I'm happy to play Green, Bate, Sylvia, Jetta and Watts every week in the forward line. If Hughes wants to get into the side he has to get in front of Dunn and Miller, and do it before Jurrah is back. As he will never be a backup ruck that means he probably needs to star at VFL level as well as develop something in his game. At the moment he looks a nice undersized lead up forward, he needs either good forward pressure, goal kicking ability or something else like sublime skills.

I don't like his chances for a game against Adelaide, but any chance of a recall will need dominant performances in the VFL, starting against Williamstown.

Hughes' problem is his similarity with Green, Bate, Jurrah,Petterd and Dunn. We've got the mid size goal kicking and lead up talls covered. I'm no drafting expert but I'd actually recommend Hughes to another club at the end of the year, for example St Kilda who have Kosi and Roo, and Milne and Schneider but could benefit with Hughes on their books. Could step into a side for a finals campaign like Josh Mahoney did for Port.

Yep, I think Dunn has one month to show he can be a forward, If that much time. He needs to get on with it as he's running out of chances.

Bartram looks to have shored up a small back spot to this point, with backup in Cheney & Strauss to come on.

The midfield looks to be rebuilding with solid stocks of players strong both with the ball & defensively. Spots thinning here for Lyndon.

The forwards look to have,, Bate, Jurrah, Watts, Sylvia, Green, Petterd, Jamar with Fitzpatrick & others to come. Backups in Miller, Dunn, Newton, somethings got to give?