welcome to the Dees...JOEL MACDONALD

beelzebub

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jay Clark also shows how little he knows about Melbourne's list.

In what way did he show he knows little about the Melb list?

If you're referring to the comment re: Morton and Grimes, both played down back a fair bit in '09 - Grimes by design and Morton by necessity, following injuries (ie. Green).

Btw, your personal attack is pretty poor form too...

Wow, thanks Sandra ;)

Nice call :P

To add to the topic, after Brisbane had some injuries to their key defenders they played McDonald in that role towards the end of the season, and he struggled a bit with that. This doesn't concern me at all because there's no need for him to play that role with us, we have Frawley, Warnock, Rivers, Garland & Martin all capable of doing it. He'll be a good addition to our defence and he'll release a player like Grimes into the middle.

As to why he was allowed to leave Brisbane, the non-scandalous reason I heard is that, very simply, Voss was looking for more height and size than Macdonald has.

The scandalous reason I heard (via Brisbane's bigfooty forum) was that MacDonald craves a more rounded lifestyle and prefers to have a life outside of footy. Therefore he didn't fit into Voss's AFL football philosophy.

Probably a load of crap.

In what way did he show he knows little about the Melb list?

If you're referring to the comment re: Morton and Grimes, both played down back a fair bit in '09 - Grimes by design and Morton by necessity, following injuries (ie. Green).

Btw, your personal attack is pretty poor form too...

I accept that.

I know Jay Clark and have played footy against him for years in juniors.

As a journalist he just regurgitates the words of others, offers nothing insightful.

Don't like the guy and he's not very bright.

Was just using it as an excuse to have a dig at him cos I was bored.

The scandalous reason I heard (via Brisbane's bigfooty forum) was that MacDonald craves a more rounded lifestyle and prefers to have a life outside of footy. Therefore he didn't fit into Voss's AFL football philosophy.

Probably a load of crap.

That's the scandalous version? Wow. This guy is squeaky clean.

Edit: for a footballer...

Edited by Keyser Söze

Macdonald's family moved from Victoria to Queensland in 99' when he was 14 or 15. Up to that point he'd represented Victoria in under-age football.

Only problem Macdonald has had is a long history of injuries - ankles, knee and other bits and pieces. Can I say though, this is a guy who led the Brisbane B&F for the first half of the 08 season and might have won it if he hadn't missed 5 matches due to injury. He gathered 30 odd possessions against St.Kilda at Docklands and Geelong at the Gabba this year. In 08 he got another 30 touches against the Cats down at Geelong. I was at the Geelong match this year and he was very good against an exceptional team. This year he was top 5 at Brisbane in disposals, marks and handballs. Eleventh at the club for tackles and 10th for kicks. Tapered off a bit at the latter part of the season but that wasn't entirely his fault. End of the day, when he is on the field and fit, he is a very good player and will be an asset to the club.

As to why he was allowed to leave Brisbane, the non-scandalous reason I heard is that, very simply, Voss was looking for more height and size than Macdonald has. Talent-wise, he was better than his potential replacements but Voss was looking for a particular type and Joel wasn't it.

Cheers. Makes me look like slightly less of an idiot, even if I did believe what I was told without remembering he came from Mt Gravatt.

From what Joel has said I think its most likely he was given a nudge, but was strong enough in character to make the best of the situation.

As far as wanting a more rounded lifestyle... I think that often helps.

So yeah I'd also like to know about his Brisbane situation. From what I've read this was clearly his best season averaging 19 possesions a game off half back. Was he offered a new deal? Did they just not have room for him? (understandable, they have Drummond who does a similar role very well). No biggie just interesting to know why teams let certain players go sometimes.

Can't wait to see him don the red and blue!

ya know...Im starting to think the truth is so far in amongst it all it doesnt really matter any more.. Hes doing the hard yards with us and setting a pace by all accounts. he's at least saying all the right things.. I actually believe ( almost..well..just about nearly ) that he is really pleased to be with us. i get the feeling we 'fit' each other well.

I think his experience will bring about a bit more confidence ( not necessarily ability ..just confidence) in the back end. So many goals are started these days with rebounding off of the half back line i think he might be quite instrumentle in many to come. A bit more pace than some. Looking forward to seeing him play.