The ship has turned.....

beelzebub

I would have thought the point is, the status quo on membership number probably would have been maintained, had Jim not taken over. That along with the publicity surrounding Jack Watts at the time. I doubt there would have been a surge otherwise.

The again, neither you or I will ever know for sure Hazy. Anything else is pure speculation.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have thought the point is, the status quo on membership number probably would have been maintained, had Jim not taken over. That along with the publicity surrounding Jack Watts at the time. I doubt there would have been a surge otherwise.

The again, neither you or I will ever know for sure Hazy. Anything else is pure speculation.

Well you have no idea then do you?

OUr membership ion 2003 was 20,555

in 2007 it was a record 28,077.

in 2008 this record was again beaten. Some modest thanks is due to Jim's encouragement but it is mostly due to the 27,xxx members who were paid up before Jim came on the scene. There is no reason to think that the previous board couldn't achieve a second year of record memebrship. Indeed, they were poised to do so.

Either way - it's not exactly "turning the ship around" is it?

Yes, the last few hundred or so members signed up after Jim took over. The first 28,000 or so signed up beforehand.

Your point?

My point is there were many more members, than just your customary "last few hundred or so members" that signed up after Jim took over. In fact (fact = which you like to dabble with occassionally), we recorded 29,677 (link) members in 2008, smashing the previous years tally of 28,077. Once again, following up in 2009 with 31,506 and already closing in on 14,000 prior to the 2009 Draft.

You've taken a fair degree of licence with "poised", after it had slowed to a treacle at 27 K.

Once again highlighting, or taking the limelight off J.S.

Edited by High Tower

My point is there were many more members, than just your customary "last few hundred or so members" that signed up after Jim took over. In fact (fact = which you like to dabble with occassionally), we recorded 29,677 members in 2008, smashing the previous years tally of 28,077.

Yes, the final tally for 2008 was 29,667. This was another record number. Most of these members signed up before Jim became chaiman.

I still don't see your point.

This year we had 31,508 members. Another record. I'm glad that the current board is building on the work of the previous one, and I hope and expect that we will continue to post record memberships, particularly given the anticipation that surrounds our on-field performance.

This is still by no means "turning the ship around". Gardner increased the membership by around 37% whilst he was at the club.

But whereas I am happy to recognise the good work that the current board has continued to do on membership - others can't bring themselves to admit that the previous board had an excellent record in his department. Instead they just ignore the facts and crap all over them.

It just doen't fit with your fairytale does it?

Yes, the final tally for 2008 was 29,667. This was another record number. Most of these members signed up before Jim became chaiman.

I still don't see your point.

This year we had 31,508 members. Another record. I'm glad that the current board is building on the work of the previous one, and I hope and expect that we will continue to post record memberships, particularly given the anticipation that surrounds our on-field performance.

This is still by no means "turning the ship around". Gardner increased the membership by around 37% whilst he was at the club.

But whereas I am happy to recognise the good work that the current board has continued to do on membership - others can't bring themselves to admit that the previous board had an excellent record in his department. Instead they just ignore the facts and crap all over them.

It just doen't fit with your fairytale does it?

It's no wonder you don't see my point. Why am I not surprised, you like to suit yourself obviously ?

Gardner did do a great job in terms of membership numbers, I never argued that, or perhaps you couldn't see that either.

It's no wonder you don't see my point. Why am I not surprised, you like to suit yourself obviously ?

Gardner did do a great job in terms of membership numbers, I never argued that, or perhaps you couldn't see that either.

Care to let everyone know what you are arguing?

<reminder: This thread is entitled "The ship has turned", belzebub59 has been arguing that the club has been a basket case for the last few years.>

Edited by Hazyshadeofgrinter

Care to let everyone know what you are arguing?

<reminder: This thread is entitled "The ship has turned", belzebub59 has been arguing that the club has been a basket case for the last few years.>

HSOG, my point has already been made, although it is small in the scheme of this thread, whilst you deal with facts as I like to, you tend to tweak the truth to suit. As evidenced by the membership numbers we have just spoken about. Which you seem to have missed or ignored. One of the two.

Further evidence regarding membership numbers when Jim took over in mid June 2008. Looks like there were close to 2000 members sign up after he took over. That's alot more than just "a few hundred "...more like a surge.

Edited by High Tower

HSOG, my point has already been made, although it is small in the scheme of this thread, whilst you deal with facts as I like to, you tend to tweak the truth to suit. As evidenced by the membership numbers we have just spoken about. Which you seem to have missed or ignored. One of the two.

Further evidence regarding membership numbers when Jim took over in mid June 2008. Looks like there were close to 2000 members sign up after he took over. That's alot more than just "a few hundred "...more like a surge.

From your article, June 15:

"The Demons have 27,658 members, only 419 short of the club's all-time membership record - a target that Stynes believes is within their sights."

Thus, only a few hundred more were needed to secure another broken membership record.

The truth is, you're not making an argument at all, you're indulging in your typical petty sniping. Unfortunately, I can't see that ship turning around any time soon.

The truth is, you're not making an argument at all, you're indulging in your typical petty sniping.

No. The truth of it is I am making a valid point of which you have failed to identify. Indeed, twice.

Reverting to "typical petty sniping" is not your strong suit. You're better than that.

You stated: -

Yes, the last few hundred or so members signed up after Jim took over. The first 28,000 or so signed up beforehand.

It was 27,658 for the record.

You also stated: -

The club recorded record membership in 2007 and was poised to do so again in 2008 before Jim took over.

And...added...

Indeed, they were poised to do so.

In fact, the article that I posted had the Demons at 27,658 by mid June - short of the record 28,077 - that had signed up until Jim became chairman.

By June it had slowed to a treacle in a blizzard. HSOG, there was certainly no guarantee another 419 would have signed up had the board maintained the status quo under Gardiner. It is quite pertinent, they were not poised to do so.

As IWS stated in an earlier post which rings true: -

.."you or I will ever know for sure Hazy. Anything else is pure speculation."

That 419 figure for the record would have resembled a mirage of Ibiza in the middle of the Simpson Desert, before Stynes come aboard.

Finally, it's not exactly "turning the ship around"... just to make you feel warm.

Whilst I acknowledge it may be a little "petty", it's got teeth.

you're indulging

Love the feast.

Guest Thomo

I was a member for several years, but did not renew after I moved to Sydney, around the time Joe Gutnick was kick out. I had no faith in the previous board, and would not sign up again until the 'top end of town social club' was kicked out. I renewed as soon as Jim took over.

Point of the story? HSOG can go on with all the crap he wants, but if the previous board was still running the club I would not be paid up.

You may not think that it makes much sense, but I suspect there are thousands of other who agree, and that is one reason why the ship has turned.