Collingwood's 'Side by Side' launched

The Age - "One club, one culture, one mission"

I think Mick Malthouse hit the nail on the head:

''We talk big. We produce nothing. I'm going to make a bold statement, maybe a disappointing statement. I blame the midfield.''

Well i Suppose "old Xav" will enjoy it as a read, Personally i am not interested in that teams over rated propaganda.

$50 for that!!! now way.

I have a copy of the 1977 book "the Coach" which is well worth a good read.

Barassi beating the Filth in the Grand Final Replay is always gold.

Great article though, well written....

''We talk big. We produce nothing. I'm going to make a bold statement, maybe a disappointing statement. I blame the midfield.''

One flag in 51 years with all that money, facilities, the draw and the legion of supporters.

Hardly worth writing about. Better off googling 10 years of rancid Pies articles in the Hun.

of course Mickey wouldnt blame himself now !!! :rolleyes::unsure::lol:

I hope Eddie and Mick wind things up a bit more for their young playing group next season. (there's nothing like putting the weight of the world on young shoulders. :wacko: )

To me they sound like a huge festering pimple about to pop; add a bit more pressure in the right places and look out!!! :lol:

I hope we can be the deliverer of some of that pressure by beating them twice.

Go Dees - Building for the Future

Anyone actually read the article, or did you all just come in this thread to bag Collingwood?

I thought bits of it provided some good insight in to the life and pressure of an AFL footballer.

Yes.

And and as stated I think they are pushing their players to the point of breaking them.

And I think the fact that Shannon Cox has walked away from football goes some way to backing that up.

I found it curious that in that entire article (which was huge) their was NO mention of either 'passion' or enjoyment'.

I will never feel sorry for 'Collingwood' but if that playing group don't win a flag in 'their' allotted time frame I am sure some of those players will end their careers HATING that club more deeper than we can ever imagine just because of the clubs perception of failure if they don't.

Go Dees - Building for the Future

I found it curious that in that entire article (which was huge) their was NO mention of either 'passion' or enjoyment'.

My thoughts, too. What a joyless, tortured organisation it is. Humourless Mick breathing over your shoulder. It's sport. They're not saving lives.

One flag in 51 years with all that money, facilities, the draw and the legion of supporters.

Hardly worth writing about. Better off googling 10 years of rancid Pies articles in the Hun.

:lol:

Meh.

They haven't won a flag in September in over 50 years.

I like that stat. Cunning.

One year down. Two to go. Pressure will be on within the club and media intent on disrupting the Malthouse-Buckley relationship.

They have got the money and resources. But have they got the midfield to do it ?

Do we expect anything different of them ? I expect more of the same. Blockbuster fatigue.

Guest The Old Xaverian
One year down. Two to go. .

Given we had 13 players 21 or younger in our PF side (you can add another in Pendlebury), it's quite foolish to say our window will close in 2 years. I would much rather my club set itself for a flag rather than to achieve the priority pick for the 2nd straight year.

Edited by The Old Xaverian

Given we had 13 players 21 or younger in our PF side (you can add another in Pendlebury), it's quite foolish to say our window will close in 2 years.

What your Preliminary Final told me (and all non-Collingwood supporters) is that you're a long way off. You were so bad it was funny.

Your window could close next year.

My thoughts, too. What a joyless, tortured organisation it is. Humourless Mick breathing over your shoulder. It's sport. They're not saving lives.

It's not just Collingwood - Archer said part of the reason he quit was the tyranny of meetings.

Given we had 13 players 21 or younger in our PF side (you can add another in Pendlebury), it's quite foolish to say our window will close in 2 years. I would much rather my club set itself for a flag rather than to achieve the priority pick for the 2nd straight year.

I only skimmed the article but I thought I saw Maxwell give that timeline.

...it's quite foolish to say our window will close in 2 years...

At a meeting affirming Nick Maxwell as captain, president Eddie McGuire said: ''We have got one agenda for us now: we want to win the premiership in the next three years. We are single-minded in our approach. Make no mistake, single-minded. We will do everything possible to win a f------ premiership.

Maxwell comes across as Nathan Buckley-like in his ardour as captain. By mid-August, he has honoured more than 70 engagements as captain. He is desperate for it all to work, whatever the cost. As he and his partner, Erin, drive slowly home from the Epworth at 1am after losing to Hawthorn - he nursing another broken cheekbone - she asks if it is all worth it. ''If we win a premiership in the next three years, it is,'' he replies.

Foolish Nick and Eddie!

Given we had 13 players 21 or younger in our PF side (you can add another in Pendlebury), it's quite foolish to say our window will close in 2 years.

Already been covered by Rogue & Nasher.

I think you need to communicate to your President and Captain.

Fwiw, I think it's foolish of them too. Putting a timeline on, and all.

Now your players are talking the 'P' word.

As I posted to you a week or so ago, you're team is as far away from a Premiership as Mfc is. (ref: Prelim Final '09).

On Malthouse's clock, you're at Midnight. Writing is on the wall.

Good luck with Ball by the way.

I would much rather my club set itself for a flag rather than to achieve the priority pick .....

So would I. We're setting ourselves in the process.

Beggars can't be choosers re: the pick.

Edited by High Tower

Guest The Old Xaverian
I think you need to communicate to your President and Captain.

So Maxwell/McGuire believe our window closes in 2 years :lol:

All I read from the statement is they set themselves for a flag as their KPI in the next 2 seasons, there is no reference to it ending/closing in 2 years. The whole "window" concept is overrated in the AFL, many, including their own club, said St. Kilda's window was shut at the end of 07', it changes pretty quickly.

Not sure at how it can be bagged by a Melbourne supporter, the Collingwood side, which toyed with Melbourne, was younger than your side.

All I read from the statement is they set themselves for a flag as their KPI in the next 2 seasons, there is no reference to it ending/closing in 2 years.

You were actually the first one to mention anything to do with the window closing in this thread.

So Maxwell/McGuire believe our window closes in 2 years :lol:

They're on the record, not so much about the window, but to win a Premiership over the period of 3 years. One year has gone. If they don't win one in the next two years, will Collingwood supporters hold them accountable ?

It will be very interesting next season.

Conveniently Mick has two years left before Buckley takes over, but will Mick last...

Not sure at how it can be bagged by a Melbourne supporter...

I'm sure it can. 6-1. :P

The Pies having a younger side than Melbourne on Queens Birthday nearly six months ago is an irrelevant stat given the current lists.

Edited by High Tower

They're on the record, not so much about the window, but to win a Premiership over the period of 3 years. One year has gone. If they don't win one in the next two years, will Collingwood supporters hold them accountable ?

It will be very interesting next season.

Conveniently Mick has two years left before Buckley takes over, but will Mick last...

I'm sure it can. 6-1. :P

The Pies having a younger side than Melbourne on Queens Birthday nearly six months ago is an irrelevant stat given the current lists.

HaHa! Old Xav still going on about the younger list from last years QB game! :lol: A slight sign of desperation is becoming apparent in your answers.

Clutching at straws it is called. Collingwood are the most over rated Business organization in the world during the past 50 odd years, that is on record.

Enjoy the read, it won't take long!