THE SECOND DRAFT

Demonland

THE SECOND DRAFT: Continuing Stevo's guide to the last Thursday in November as told to Whispering Jack

THE MIDFIELDERS

The forthcoming national draft has already been dubbed "the midfielder's draft" and not without good reason.

In the estimation of many draft watchers, the first round of this year's draft will be dominated by mid sized young talent. I have an explanation for this phenomenon and will discuss the dearth of quality young talls next time. Suffice to say that although one or two key position players might sneak into the top ten, they are generally thin on the ground at the moment. As for the big ruckmen, most clubs are loath to use early picks on them unless they are absolute top shelf but this year, they simply can't be found at all. I expect to see no more than two of them at best in the top forty.

The general category of "midfielders" has been extended over time with the evolution of the game and it now also includes middle-sized defenders and forwards who can also take up on ball roles during games.

My two selections in the First Draft are perfect examples. Tom Scully was often used at the Stingrays on a defensive or a forward flank while Jack Trengove is an on baller who can go forward and kick goals. Both are expected to settle into midfield roles once they have a couple of seasons worth of experience in their legs.

The strong pool of midfield talent available after Scully and Trengove is headed by Dustin Martin and Anthony Morabito who I expect will go to Richmond and Fremantle respectively. I look at the players in question and follow my views up with the comments of their coaches taken from that excellent publication Inside Football: -

Dustin Martin (Bendigo Pioneers) Height: 187cm, Weight: 86kg, DOB: 26.06.91 Medium Forward/Midfielder

Last month Richmond President declared that his club intended to take either Trengove or Martin with its first pick (third overall) in the national draft. On that basis Dustin Martin will become a Tiger on 26 November. Martin is a ball magnet who is an excellent kick on both sides of the body and, like my first two picks, can play both inside and outside and has pace and good strength. He can be handy going up forward and tested well at the draft camp. Richmond will welcome this quality midfielder with good foot skills.

IF: "Dustin's a quality midfielder who was selected in the All Australian team in the middle. A very good kick both sides of the body and kicks the ball a long way with a lot of penetration. Very strong and can go forward and kick a goal. Tested well in the 20-metre sprint at the draft camp and also did well in the new kicking test. A real inside player who is very brave and just has a great work ethic. He does everything well but the one area of his game that is exceptional is his kicking - with both feet and the depth he can get is a real feature of his play. He's a 70-metre player in that he can carry it 15 and kick it 55." -

Bendigo Pioneers coach Mark Ellis. Vic Country representative 2009. Ail Australian 2009

Anthony Morabito (Peel Thunder, WA) Height: 190cm, Weight: 90kg, DOB: 29.10.91 Midfielder

Morabito impressed as a bottom aged player in WA's under 18 team last year despite being in the shadow of Naitanui, Rich and co. This year, he starred in his state's championship win as a dynamic game breaking utility who is strong in the air, fast on the ground and often can have a major impact with one or two thrilling patches of football. There's a slight question mark over his kicking but it's not too bad and can be worked upon. Slightly taller than most midfielders, he has been likened to a young Adam Goodes and Fremantle would be happy to see him moulded into a player of Goodes' versatility. An apprenticeship under Matthew Pavlich beckons.

IF: "'He's a 190cm midfielder and he's a terrific run-and-carry type player who is a reasonable - without being outstanding - kick and can kick goals. Has good hands, is good below his knees and has a big body size. All the comparisons are between him and Adam Goodes, but is he like him? I don't know. What he has got is that game breaking size and ability. Played senior football all season and won the Rising Star for the WAFL competition. He's a terrific young talent and he could be bloody anything down the track." - Peel Thunder Colts coach Michael Pratt. WA MVP under 18 championships 2009. All Australian 2009. AIS-AFL academy graduate

With the first four selections locked away, the speculation should begin as to when the first tall will be selected although, if like most you're watching the television package where the top ten are revealed in reverse, this point is largely irrelevant. For my part I'll go out on a limb and suggest that the first of the talls will be taken by Port Adelaide with one of its two consecutive picks at 8 or 9.

The next group of midfielders will be a pair from that prolific recruiting ground, the Geelong Falcons followed by some more medium sized players from WA and SA. I have a feeling that North will opt for a solid citizen and the Swans might fancy the exciting redhead from Cobden in Gary Rohan while West Coast and Port Adelaide might settle for some home grown talent. Another midfielder in this category is Gippsland's Koby Stevens but the dreaded osteitis pubis has had an impact on his draft stocks.

Ben Cunnington (Geelong Falcons, VIC) Height: 186cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 30.06.91 Medium Forward/Midfielder

Cunnington is the type you would want with you fighting in the trenches - a team player who never gives up, who has good foot skills, handles the ball cleanly and is strong in the one on ones and in the air. He can play anywhere.

IF: "He is probably the best kid that I've coached in regard to preparation. You look at (Travis) Boak and (Patrick) Dangerfield and he's very similar to those guys but I reckon he's gone past them this year with his professionalism, which is just outstanding. A real Joel Selwood type who is probably the toughest kid in the TAC Cup. Wins his own footy, very, very good overhead, can play down back, in the midfield and can play forward. Perhaps he could work on his leg speed and he sometimes need to chase the footy a bit more because he sort of plays; little middle-back like (Jimmy) Bartel. I expect him to go pretty early and he could one day captain an AFL club." - Geelong Falcons coach Garry Hocking. Vic Country representative 2009. Ail Australian 2001

Gary Rohan (Geelong Falcons, VIC) Height: 186cm, Weight: 79kg, DOB: 07.06.91 Medium Forward/Midfielder

The big improver of 2009, Rohan was rejected by the Falcons last year and played at full back for his home town team Cobden . Given a second chance this year and moved forward early in the season, his impact was immediate. He gained selection in the Victorian Country team for the national under 18 championships where he starred with his blistering speed, strong marking, evasive skills and ability to weave in and out of traffic. Still has a lot of improvement in him but will undoubtedly be an exciting player to watch in the years to come.

IF: "Gary is an interesting one. He's a bit random because you never know what you're going to get with him but he's very exciting ... probably the most exciting kid we've had in the program. He has a very good vertical leap, is very quick for his size, physically needs to develop but his pressure in and around the forward line and his ability to chase down people is outstanding - it's AFL like. He could be anything but he's hit and miss at this stage." - Geelong Falcons coach Garry Hocking. Vic Country MVP 2009. All Australian 2009

Lewis Jetta (Swan Districts, WA) Height: 178cm, Weight: 72kg, DOB: 04.05.89 Midfielder/Small forward

When Melbourne's Barry Prendergast lobbed into Bunbury last year to speak with prospective draftee Neville Jetta, he met the youngster's mother who was effusive in her praise of nephew Lewis. The scout hadn't seen him and at that late stage couldn't fit Lewis into his recruiting plans which is a pity because Jetta tool the WAFL by storm this year and is now being spoken of as a likely first rounder.

The word is that the Eagles are keen on the pacy winger/forward who tackles strongly, runs through the lines and loves kicking goals which in true indigenous fashion often look truly magical. If the Eagles choose Kane Lucas ahead of him, then the Bombers might swoop on him as a replacement for Andrew Lovett.

IF: Lewis played across half forward and on the wing for us with a few stints across half back and as the year progressed he got more and more adjusted to senior football. Started the year in the seniors and spent all year there and by the end of the season he was one of our better players, including in our first final. He's a cousin of Leroy at Essendon and he has really good pace, is a good user of the footy and a sold decision maker, which is one of his strengths. He played at Bridgetown in the bush and that really helped him adjust to senior footy, because he'd had a year playing against bigger bodies." - Swan Districts football manager, Matt Peach

Kane Lucas (East Fremantle, WA) Height: 188cm, Weight: 79kg, DOB: 26.06.91 Medium Forward/Midfielder

Lucas is another who represented Western Australia at the last two national championships because he's a gun. He has great athleticism and has excellent ball handling and kicking skills. He defends strongly and his pace, vision and awareness enables him to break through the lines to stunning effect.

IF: Kane plays mostly off the half back flank but did go into the midfield so he's versatile in what he can do. Grew into his role and played seniors with us this year after progressing through the Colts in 2008. His father played for the Sydney Swans {John, 19 games, 1982-84) and Kane is a very well balanced player who is poised with the ball in his hands. A terrific character and a great kid and I suppose there was a bit of a question mark on his footy early in 2009 and we pushed him back into the Colts to work on his defensive side of his game. He took it on board, went back and worked on it, improved on it and ended the year back in the seniors. Good speed, good agility, good endurance and marks the ball very well overhead. I reckon he's a top 10 prospect and definitely a first-round draft pick.' - East Fremantle coach Shane Woewodin. WA representative 2009. All Australian 2009. AIS-AFL academy graduate

Luke Tapscott (North Adelaide, SA) Height: 180cm, Weight: 86kg, DOB: 28.06.91 Medium Forward/Midfielder

I expect Port Adelaide to use one of its first round selections on the solid bodied Tapscott who has impressed for South Australia at the last two national championships as a goal kicking forward/midfielder whose accurate kicking is an enormous asset. He has shown he can match it with the men in the SANFL and has been likened to a Daniel Rich. He can take a mark and has clean hands and would help fill the void created at Alberton as a result of the loss of the Burgoyne brothers.

IF: "Luke's an inside midfielder who can play forward and has been known to kick bags of goals. He's a beautiful kid and easily has a leg capable of kicking the ball 60 metres. Played five senior games for us this year, including the finals, and acquitted himself quite well. He's got a man's body, which allowed us to put him into senior footy this year. I think he can make the step quite easily." - North Adelaide football manager James Moore. SA representative 2009. All Australian 2009.

Koby Stevens (Gippsland Power, VIC) Height: 187cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 18.06.91 Midfielder

At the start of the season two Gippsland Power players, John Butcher and Koby Stevens featured heavily in discussions on the draft's top five contenders but both have slipped down in contention. Butcher's fall has been attributed to a combination of injury, some inconsistent performances and questions about his disposal. He might still go top 10. Stevens was stuck down with OP late in the season and, in his absence in the finals, Gippsland's hopes plummeted as did his own prospects of early draft selection. However, Stevens is a clever footballer with a strong hands and a solid body and fits well as an inside midfielder who can win the contested ball. He can take marks, tackles strongly and would make an excellent choice at any one of the clubs in the latter part of the first round as he's a ready to go midfield prospect.

IF: A midfielder who is very strong and hard at the footy and the player with the ball. He was the AIS captain this year and played only eight games for us because of AIS and Vic Country duties. Suffered osteitis pubis late in the year but I think has just commenced running. A very talented player who is very clean with what he does and very professional." – Gippsland Power coach Damian Carroll. Vic Country representative 2009. AIS-AFL academy graduate.

There's plenty more midfield and small to middle size talent around who can play in defensive and forward roles. Some in the latter category would aspire to develop into midfield roles. I expect some of the following names to feature possibly in the latter part of the first round and certainly in later rounds of the second draft (and I've included one "recycled" player but have no access to his coach's comments):-

Roland Ah Chee (NT) Height: 184cm, Weight: 79kg, DOB: 21.11.90 Midfielder/Medium Forward

IF: Had a fantastic under 18 national carnival and considered unlucky not to be named All Australian. He has excellent ball winning ability and his disposal skills have improved immensely over the past year. Boasts good athleticism, speed and endurance (ran a 15. beep test at the SA screening). Will be hopeful of picking up a spot on a rookie list or possibly higher on the strength of his excellent tests. He has the potential to be a good defensive midfielder and run-with player." - AFLNT talent and coaching manager Jarrod Chipperfield

Callum Bartlett (Geelong Falcons, VIC Height: 179cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 19/06/91 Midfielder

IF: "Callum hurt his ACL during the pre-season so he didn't play all year. But, he's had a really good rehab and is on track. Played with us as a 17-year-old last year and he's a mid sized left footer and very powerful, which has created some interest. He's very similar to Brisbane's Daniel Rich in that he kicks the footy with penetration and has good power and a body that is ready made, but he doesn't have Rich's game knowledge at this stage, so that's something he needs to develop." - Geelong Falcons coach Garry Hocking

Luke Ball (St. Kilda) Height: 183cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 25.05.84 Midfielder

Ryan Bastinac (Dandenong Stingrays, VIC) Height: 183cm, Weight: 74kg, DOB: 22/06/91 Midfielder/Medium Forward

IF: "Ryan really shone in the endurance test at the draft camp, which underlines the way he plays his football as a tough, hard inside midfielder. He kicks the ball really well both sides, loves the inside stuff and has some fabulous attributes, including a wonderful attitude to his football. A hard trainer who brings a professional attitude to everything." - Dandenong Stingrays coach Graeme Yeats

Alex Carey (Glenelg, SA) Height: 181cm, Weight: 76kg, DOB: 27.08.91 Midfielder

IF: "Alex has great skills and he is coming off a really good national carnival. Played all year in the reserves and is a neat player. Sometimes I worry about his pace as well as his quickness of ball movement and how that will play out at the next level. But, certainly, his skills and his reading of the game is very, very good." - Glenelg development manager Brenton Hole. SA representative 2009. AIS-AFL academy graduate

Allen Christensen (Geelong Falcons, VIC) Height: 176cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 19.05.91 Midfielder/Small Forward

IF: "Allen is the nephew of Marty and Brendan and is a classy midfielder who can go forward and back. If he was at the yearling sales he probably fetch S10 million because he's pretty well bred. He's very, very clever and has really good hands down low. A good decision maker and reads the game pretty well. Needs to work on his body shape in terms of endurance." - Geelong Falcons coach Garry Hocking. Vic Country representative 2009

Travis Colyer (Claremont, WA) Height: 175cm, Weight: 73kg, DOB: 24.8.91 Midfielder/Small Forward

IF: Travis has exceptional speed and that would be his biggest strength. He's very small, but he's also strong which offsets that. He reminds me a little bit of Brent Harvey in the way he plays. Very quick, has a good change of speed, can kick a goal but mainly breaks the lines through the middle of the ground. Doesn't get really high possessions numbers but what he does get he uses really well." - Claremont football manager Dean Horsington. WA representative 2000. All Australian 2009

Jessie Crichton (Tassie Mariners, TAS) Height: 183cm, Weight: 66kg, DOB: 18/06/91 Midfielder

IF: "Jesse has been in our system for two years and in many ways it was his season last year that set him up. He's had a good year again this year but he got himself known to recruiters in 2008. He's a very clever, inside player with a great ability to bring others into the game with his hands because of his vision and awareness. Still has a very light body so needs to work on that, but he kicks the ball well with his left foot, although at the moment he lacks penetration because he is so light. Tested OK at the draft and was middle of the road in most areas. Jesse played well in the AIS-AFL academy and he was a respected member of that group." - AFL Tasmania high performance manager Nick Probert. Tasmanian representative 2009. AIS-AFL academy graduate

Mitch Duncan (East Perth, WA) Height: 188cm, Weight: 81kg, DOB: 10.6.91 Midfielder/Forward

IF: "Mitch made his senior debut in Round 1 for us and he's a really dangerous huge forward who can go up onto a wing as well. Possesses good skills on both sides of his body, has great awareness and uses the ball very well. Had a standout game against Peel Thunder late in the year, kicking three goals. Makes the most of all his opportunities, makes good decisions and is very driven." - East Perth football manager Mark Winnett. WA representative 2009. All Australian 2O09

Nat Fyfe (Claremont, WA) Height: 186cm, Weight: 73kg, DOB: 18.09.91 Midfielder/Medium Forward

IF: Nat's a forward who was one of the best marks in the Colts this year. Very good game sense, reads the play very well and is just an improved player all round. I'd say he'd be a half forward at AFL level and in one game he kicked eight goals and took 16 marks. Not naturally quick but makes up for it by reading the game really well." - Claremont football manager Dean Horsington. WA representative 2009

Jordan Gysberts (Eastern Ranges, VIC) Height: 188cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 11.06.91Midfielder/Medium Forward

IF: Jordan is a genuine midfielder who had a good carnival for Vic Metro. Can go forward and proved that by kicking three goals in one of the finals for us. Had a few injury concerns this year but still had a pretty good season." - Eastern Ranges region manager Anthony Parkin. Vic Metro representative 2009. AIS-AFL academy graduate

Ryan Harwood (Tassie Mariners, TAS) Height: 184cm, Weight: 79kg, DOB: 08.07.91 Midfielder/Medium Defender

IF: "Ryan won the clearances in the Under 18 competition and that's his go – he's a pure inside ball winner. He was second in the agility testing at the draft camp. Has had a few off-field things that he's been working on and he's getting much better in that area in terms of his application, and he really wants to be a footballer. He's one who would really benefit from being in an AFL environment. Plays midfield and can kick goals, has perfect skills and is very hard at it. He's a simple player in that he goes hard at it and I think he was top two or three for the kicking test at the draft camp." – AFL Tasmania high performance manager Nick Probert. Tasmanian representative 2009. All Australian 2009. AIS-AFL academy graduate.

Andrew Hooper (North Ballarat Rebels, VIC) Height: 172cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 18.01.91 Midfielder

IF: "Andrew won the Larke Medal and his year says it all. Was a member of the TAC Cup team of the year. All Australian and tested very well at the draft camp. Going into the draft camp he hurt his calf and we didn't know if he was going to be able to test but he worked hard on his rehab and did fantastically well. He's a small midfielder who accumulates lots of possessions, reads the game well and is very quick, which allows him to break a game open with his pace. Add to that he's got really good leadership qualities as well... a terrific kid. At the end of the day he's only 172cm but I hope he does go because he ticks all the boxes." North Ballarat Rebels coach Glenn Wilkins. Joint Larke Medal winner, All Australian 2009

Jasper MacmIllan-Pittard (Geelong Falcons, VIC) Height 185cm Weight 72kg, DOB 1/1/91 Midfielder

IF: "Jasper could go inside the top 10. To use a horse race analogy he has come right into the market late. Scotty Clayton (Gold Coast recruiting manager) rates him inside the top 10. He's a rangy sort of build, has got Kenny Hunter hands, very smart with the footy with his run and rebound but his kicking could get a little better. Just a super kid who is very intelligent. Paul Roos said to John Longmire after interviewing him #@*% drafting him, let's just put him on as assistant coach." He had questions prepared for Neil Craig when Adelaide interviewed him, which went down really well with the Crows. Comes from the Calder Cannons program and moved down this way so we had the pleasure of having him the year. Type of person that if he has a comment he'll say it, or if he has an opinion he'll give it. He legitimately understands the game." - Geelong Falcons coach Garry Hocking. Vic Country representative 2009

Dylan McNeil (Murray Bushrangers, NSW) Height: 178cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 20/03/91 Midfielder

IF: "Dylan was our captain and also won our best and fairest. He's an inside, in-and-under type of midfielder who distributes the ball really well and kicks well. Has good natural footy instincts but his Achilles heel could be that for his size he is a little one-paced. He lacks genuine leg speed. Other than that he will tick most boxes." - Murray Bushrangers coach Phil Bunn. NSW/ACT captain. Hunter Harrison Medal for best division two player. All Australian 2009

Jake Melksham (Calder Cannons, VIC) Height: 182cm, Weight: 69kg, DOB: 29.8.91 Midfielder

IF: "Jake started with us on a wing because we knew that in school football he would have been playing in the midfield and because he's an inside type player we didn't want to flog him. Had an average national carnival, it's fair to say, and he would probably agree with that because he was very up and down. But his finals series was really good including a huge game against the North Ballarat Rebels and best-on-ground in the grand final. His inside work and his outside work was exceptional and his field kicking was as good as we've seen in that grand final. I think he could go somewhere between six and 10." - Calder Cannons coach Martin Allison. Vic Metro representative 2009. AIS-AFL academy graduate

Andrew Moore (Eastern Ranges, VIC) Height: 188cm, Weight: 81kg, DOB: 30.05.91 Utility

IF: "Andrew will probably be our highest pick, I would have thought. He played Vic Metro, went to the draft camp and plays mostly as a utility and was used forward and back for Vic Metro and played everywhere for us as well. Very athletic, a great vertical leap and he is the brother of Richmond's Kelvin." - Eastern Ranges region manager Anthony Parkin. Vic Metro representative 2009.

Brad Sheppard (East Fremantle, WA) Height: 186cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 23.05.91 Medium Defender/Midfielder

IF: " Brad's a likely type who is very versatile and very courageous overhead. Can play either end, can play inside out outside, kicks the ball well and reads the game well. We played him as a half back-cum-wingman and in time he will develop into a very good size footballer." - East Fremantle coach Shane Woewodin. WA representative 2009. All Australian 2009

So there you have an eclectic bunch of potential draftees in the small to middle size range. I have a feeling that most of them won't be in Melbourne's range for its third and fourth picks at 11 and 18 because the Demons might go tall at this stage. However, the entry of Luke Ball into the picture might well change things.

I believe that Ball will go in the mid to late teens and would be value for the Demons at 18. If the club is prepared to risk him with this pick they would gain a true bonus player as long as his body can stand up to the rigours of the game. There's no doubt that several clubs would grab the opportunity to get him and he would only be a remote chance to end up at his preferred location at the Lexus Centre with the Magpies.

If the Demons decide against or miss out on Ball, the player who I like is Carey from Adelaide. There's just something about players with that surname coming from that part of the world that's appealing purely from a football point of view. This Carey might fit in with Melbourne's designs and he impressed me at the NAB AFL U18 Championships. The Croweater who was a team mate of fellow Adelaide youngster Jack Trengove, could well fill the void left by the departure of Brock McLean. He's a good decision maker who tackles hard and makes his presence felt and likely to be available at the start of the third round.

Next time round, I'll be looking at the talls.

• 2 weeks later...
So who said there isn't any talent around the place. Those wraps on someone like McMillan-Pittard are a real eye opener. Hyphenated name should also suit our profile.

Nick name would have to be "Hyphen" wouldn't it ?

It has been posted on one of the threads that Paul Roos (Sydney) has shown interest in him. Roos quipped that he could be an assistant coach, he was that impressed. Pick 14, Sydney.