we need Hardwick

kallioota

say what you want this is who l wanted not Dean. sick of all this stuff we are playing and yes Collingwood just showed what a younger team could to with us.

great game plan great effort and great coaching. maybe after finally getting the off field stuff looking good and casey maybe we should now look to see who could help us move forward

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

say what you want this is who l wanted not Dean. sick of all this stuff we are playing and yes Collingwood just showed what a younger team could to with us.

great game plan great effort and great coaching. maybe after finally getting the off field stuff looking good and casey maybe we should now look to see who could help us move forward

Hi Damian,

Welcome to Demonland.

I know you want a senior coaching gig, but this is going a bit far - I know you're only an assistant, but in this climate some might say you're lucky to have any job!

Anyway, good luck with it all.

PS. I can see why you didn't go into journalism!

Okay. So in the last week, we've had the following suggestions:

- A call to sack Bailey, pay him out, and replace him with a guy whose never been part of an AFL coaching panel in his life.

- A call for a 19 year old kid, who has played a grand total of six AFL games, to be made captain next year

- A suggestion that we should have picked Natanui instead of Watts, on the grounds that he played better in his first game

- A call for us to move our best young defender into the forward line and take two quick midfielders with the first two draft picks, instead of simply picking the best two young players in the country (one of whom is apparently a gun key forward, giving us a chance to develop a great forwardline on top of our already promising backline)

And now we have a thread insisting that Hardwick would have been a much better coach than Bailey, a point that has been substantiated with precisely bugger-all. I'm looking forward to the next "let's do this" thread, which -I expect- will be a passionate 2000 word post, discussing at length why Davey should sit on Jamar's shoulders in the ruck contests, why McLean would be a 10x better player if he had a silver mouthguard, and why it is imperative that we draft Randy "Macho Man" Savage as our next full forward.

Did you have the pleasure of interviewing them, and get overruled? You must be quite informed on the qualifications and attributes of both these coaches...

However, if he doesn't get a run in a senior job for next season, which I highly doubt, I'd love for Bails to bring him to Melbourne as an assistant...

- A call to sack Bailey, pay him out, and replace him with a guy whose never been part of an AFL coaching panel in his life.

- A call for a 19 year old kid, who has played a grand total of six AFL games, to be made captain next year

- A suggestion that we should have picked Natanui instead of Watts, on the grounds that he played better in his first game

- A call for us to move our best young defender into the forward line and take two quick midfielders with the first two draft picks, instead of simply picking the best two young players in the country (one of whom is apparently a gun key forward, giving us a chance to develop a great forwardline on top of our already promising backline)

And now we have a thread insisting that Hardwick would have been a much better coach than Bailey, a point that has been substantiated with precisely bugger-all. I'm looking forward to the next "let's do this" thread, which -I expect- will be a passionate 2000 word post, discussing at length why Davey should sit on Jamar's shoulders in the ruck contests, why McLean would be a 10x better player if he had a silver mouthguard, and why it is imperative that we draft Randy "Macho Man" Savage as our next full forward.

l never said sack Dean just get Hardwick here to help out before he is gone

l never said sack Dean just get Hardwick here to help out before he is gone

Am I missing something.... What part of contract has Dean got left ( surely not !!!!)

Haha well said mate I agree with every utterance here as i have stated previously i response to such posts if we carried out all the suggestions made on this site we would have a perfect side.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Good post Two Sheds. But why is this far-fetched?

discussing at length why Davey should sit on Jamar's shoulders in the ruck contests.

It would be like Mad Max 3. If that doesn't bring the crowds to the game nothing will.

Correct in every way. Every one make a hot cup of tea & relax. Let D B & the club do their Job.

We all got a little ahead of ourselves last week because of the occassion Being the QE2 Birthday & all. We got thrashed & probably deserve our ladder position at the Moment.

Bailey wants to succeed you can see it in his eyes, Lets give him the best chance at doing just that.

DEMONS

Best. Post. Ever.

Or at least this year....

Come on people, buck up and stop pissing into the wind. You're embarrassing yourselves.

OMG! you mean to say THE Randy "Macho Man" Savage will be available in the next draft. Which pick do you think he will go at?

:lol:

P.s Great Post

Two Sheds,

Thanks for including my serious suggestion on the list of ´completely ridiculous´ posts listed above. I didn´t think it was so outrageous but you obviously disagreed.

Time will tell how crazy it is or I am.

Cheers,

Hells

Could not agree with Two Sheds More ! We are continually knocking everyone and are taking short term views.

I could agree though that Hardwick will make a good coach, because he is that type of player, i.e. no great star ,but hard at it PLUS very team oriented. When you consider the background of coaches a lot of people assume that a star automatically makes a great coach. I honestly think that Buckley will not be great coach IN AFL , because Buckley is No 1 in his, sandy roberts & McIvaney's mind.

James Hird (greatest player) would not make a great coach because he played on a different planet, plus is not prepared to eat sleep & drink Footy.

Think about the background of successful coaches and their playing style : Mathews,Thompson,Hafey, Ayres,Barassi, Choco,Wallace, Lyon.Clarkson,Sheedy,Worsfold, & Laidley

Think about the playing styles of Watson, Jesulenko(my mistake on spelling),Knights (Hawthorn).

That is why I rate Voss as potentially a great coach.

Before you rip into me, the obvious exceptions are Roos,Eade and Malcolm Blight, but I think the tough nuts outdo the Classicists. Hence Buckley would struggle. We are getting marketing(appearance) mixed up with Playing (substance)(common theme in modern times)

haha awesome post.. completely agree! some of the suggestions lately have been totally ridiculous!

MACHO MAN OOOOOHHHHH YEEEEAAAAH!!!

Randy%20Savage%20en%201991.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just as crazy as picking a captain that had at best 1 year of football left and wasn't in most people at Demonland's best 22. They should go young instead of doing what everyone else does. Neitz captained the team young (obviously not as young as Grimes) he wasn't ready but he ended up one of best captain's ever.

Just as crazy as picking a captain that had at best 1 year of football left and wasn't in most people at Demonland's best 22. They should go young instead of doing what everyone else does. Neitz captained the team young (obviously not as young as Grimes) he wasn't ready but he ended up one of best captain's ever.

When Neitz was made captain, he was 24 years old with 137 games and 217 goals under his belt. He was already an All-Australian player (1995) and had represented Victoria. He had led Melbourne's goalkicking three times. My memory tells me he was already the club's vice-captain. History shows he led the club into the Grand Final in his first year as captain.

Grimes is 20, he's played six games with an average of 18 possessions off a half-back flank. He hasn't been nominated as a Rising Star (just about the only honour he's been a chance of receiving).

If Neitz "wasn't ready" for the captaincy, what does that makes Grimes?

Junior was the best choice for skipper at the start of this season and his appointment has allowed us the chance to select a younger skipper for 2010 - which is exactly what you're calling for.

The only viable "young" candidate at the start of 2009 was Brock McLean and his off-field misdemeanours and constant injury precluded him from being selected.

Had we appointed Bruce or Green - the only other viable contenders - we would be stuck with their leadership for a number of years yet and the chance to "go young" would be even further away.

As an aside: Wayne Carey is perhaps the best example of a young captain being a successful appointment.

When he was appointed for the 1993 season, aged 21, he'd played 60 games for 112 goals. He polled 14 votes in the Brownlow Medal in 1992, finishing equal fourth with Hawthorn's Darren Jarman after booting 46 goals for the season from centre half-forward, including a bag of 7 in the last round to defeat Fitzroy.

And you think appointing a six-game youngster in his second season, who is undoubtedly talented but is yet to prove anything, is a good idea?

The mind boggles.

Proof read your posts. For gods sake!

BTW, you haven't articulated one reason why Hardwick (in your opinion) would be better? In fact it reads like you think we should get Mick.

When Neitz was made captain, he was 24 years old with 137 games and 217 goals under his belt. He was already an All-Australian player (1995) and had represented Victoria. He had led Melbourne's goalkicking three times. My memory tells me he was already the club's vice-captain. History shows he led the club into the Grand Final in his first year as captain.

Grimes is 20, he's played six games with an average of 18 possessions off a half-back flank. He hasn't been nominated as a Rising Star (just about the only honour he's been a chance of receiving).

If Neitz "wasn't ready" for the captaincy, what does that makes Grimes?

Junior was the best choice for skipper at the start of this season and his appointment has allowed us the chance to select a younger skipper for 2010 - which is exactly what you're calling for.

The only viable "young" candidate at the start of 2009 was Brock McLean and his off-field misdemeanours and constant injury precluded him from being selected.

Had we appointed Bruce or Green - the only other viable contenders - we would be stuck with their leadership for a number of years yet and the chance to "go young" would be even further away.

nice post!

exactly right.. to promote someone after 6 games is a bit of a joke.. and do you think the rest of the team who have been around longer, shown consistent form and have already earnt the respect of the team wouldn’t take offence to such a move??

I only ask a question, so before the conspiracy theorists get hot under the collar and accepting we have kids, a lot of holes on our list and under performing more senior players, can we honestly say the current group are playing for the current coach?

As inexpert as I am, it does not look like it to me.