LEADERSHIP GROUP 2010

H_T

This guy has played his best month of football for the Melbourne Football Club. If he continues this throughout 2009 and gains the trust and respect of his teammates, do you think he could be considered leadership group material for 2010?

Afterall we are crying out for leaders and at 23 years of age, there is no better time for this lad to stand up!

melcolsylvia246ae.jpg

My leadership group for next year: -

Brent Moloney

Brock McLean

Brad Green

Colin Sylvia

Aaron Davey

Cameron Bruce

edit: - I was a bit hard on Bruce, I did have Rivers in initially. Rivers needs to stay on the field.

Let's let him get through 90% of the season and a whole season next year and see what happens.

Don't forget that he stuffed up in the pre season.

I will wait to see if he proves if over a long period not a short period of 10 weeks.

Let's let him get through 90% of the season and a whole season next year and see what happens.

Don't forget that he stuffed up in the pre season.

I will wait to see if he proves if over a long period not a short period of 10 weeks.

Of course, none of us will forget...........

but reading articles such as these is encouraging, the right steps are being taken: -

Sylvia's honesty strikes chord with Stynes

I agree that he seems to be heading in the right direction but to say that he should be in the leadership group due to 9 - 10 months (if he does not stuff up between now and pre season starting) of good behavior is not something I think we should be entertaining.

Despite having played a month of good (probably his best) football, this does not or should not, automatically qualify him to be a leader.....

Sorry but a flash of good form (from a staggeringly inconsistent and underachieving player) alone does not get him into the leadership group.

He needs to show a hell of a lot more for a hell of a lot longer before even being considered and even then maybe not.

How about he continues to do his job well, that would be a good start, as we should all be enjoying his steps forward into the player we want to see from him.

I agree that he seems to be heading in the right direction but to say that he should be in the leadership group due to 9 - 10 months (if he does not stuff up between now and pre season starting) of good behavior is not something I think we should be entertaining.

True. If we can forgive McLean for his off-field discretions, and accept him into the leadership group, we could entertain accepting Sylvia into the leadership group, surely under the same principles. Is that fair and consistent?

True. If we can forgive McLean for his off-field discretions, and accept him into the leadership group, we could entertain accepting Sylvia into the leadership group, surely under the same principles. Is that fair and consistent?

Uhh... it would be if Sylvia had show anything that remotely resembled leadership before 6 weeks ago. Which he hasn't.

I agree his on-field actions have been great, but to elevate him to the leadership group makes no sense? For what purpose?

Its not preventing him from being an on-field leader at the moment.

He himself admits that he has a lot to work on before he even regains the respect he has squandered. Let him concentrate on that, and if his actions are setting a good example for others, then great, its a bonus.

Brock is a completely different kettle of fish.

... who keeps fish in a kettle anyway?

Difference was that prior to that, McLean was already a part of the leadership group and was dumped from it, then was re-instated. And the burnout (I would not care who did this, I thought this was over the top reaction no matter who did it) and the off season trouble was so far and hopefully a one off, I actually thought McLean should not have rejoined half way through last year either.

Reason for edit (grammar) ;)

Despite having played a month of good (probably his best) football, this does not or should not, automatically qualify him to be a leader.....

I am enjoying his steps forward into the player we want to see from him though.

No it doesn't automatically qualitfy him to be an 'official leader', but when was the last time you saw a Melbourne player stand up and lead the way on the field like he has at present?

At the moment he's clearly letting his football do the talking and he is working hard off-field. Great examples for the new recruits.

Could be an early call of mine, I acknowledge that - but remember in my opening post, the question reads: -

"Do you think Colin Sylvia could be considered for the leadership group in 2010?" (Based on if he continues in his form and gaining the trust and respect of his teammates for the rest of this season)

I think that's a fair question.

Well, in that case, its a resounding NO.

Less than 1 season of good behaviour and on-field leadership does not mean automatic entry into the leadership group.

He's going to have to EARN that sort of respect (and its not done in 1 season), even if he's on the right track.

If he continues in this vain in 2010 then I'd consider him for 2011.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

I'm just happy to see he is playing good footy and I'm not interested in him having added responsibility yet, and maybe not ever. Anyway, if he keeps this form up he will be someone that is looked up to.

THIS is how you average 10 posts a day...

Jeez, HT. Come on.

Sylvia in the Leadership group?!

WTF?!

I take it, you think it's "totally" out of the question then? Even if he continues in this vein of form for the next 12 weeks. Gee, you're harsh. :P

Well, in that case, its a resounding NO.

Less than 1 season of good behaviour and on-field leadership does not mean automatic entry into the leadership group.

He's going to have to EARN that sort of respect (and its not done in 1 season), even if he's on the right track.

If he continues in this vain in 2010 then I'd consider him for 2011.

Well put and I agree.

Leadership is more than just on field antics. ATM he has a way me to go in the area of leadership.

However he should be encouraged in every way to continue and build upon what he has shown recently.

Sylvia in the leadership group? It takes more than good football to be a leader. Just because we're bereft of leadership doesn't mean we should be desperately apponting every player who plays a good game...

I have been as vociferous as any regarding the goods ..or bads of this bloke. He certainly has given many cause for concern , frustration, disdain etc etc etc. I until recently would have only been too glad to see the back of him. Hes stepped up to the plate and had a swing. More than that he seems to have learnt the errors of his past. Now he needs to cement this with the rest of the season. If he still shows his mettle then for mine he has every right to be considered for the leadership group.. He is after all showing leadership in its true form ..i.e by example. He doesnt have too many brethren giving him a week in week out hand now does he ?

Fair's fair !!

we shovel the [censored].. we can take it too

McLean also got involved in two fist fights. I like the premise but reckon atm Sylvia would benefit more from simply playing, without any further pressure. However, he has (recently) responded very well to set targets on and off field. I see no problem with a leadership role earned through met milestones - over whatever timeframe the club sees fit.

"He is after all showing leadership in its true form ..i.e by example. He doesnt have too many brethren giving him a week in week out hand now does he ?"

So true.

I don't think that the idea should be completely dismissed out of hand, it definitely does have some merit....for the future.

Sylvia's positives are that he does have enormous talent and he can lead on the ground with his physical presence. He also has an enormous amount of charisma, some call it arrogance. Regardless these types of people will always attract others, it's not hard to imagine that he'd be an alpha male. He's also demonstrated enough character to realise that he was heading down the wrong path and he's starting to turn it around.

I still think HT's idea is premature, however if Sylvia can get his mind right, if he can continue to improve his consistency, he could become a great leader on and off the field.

I think if Col has turned the corner, this has a lot of merit.

The fact is, Col has had a rough time during his AFL career. Yes he made his own bed, but if he continues to improve, on and off the field, I believe the experience of the turn around he's made gives him a lot to offer, perhaps more in many respects than those who have been perfect players since he's arrived to the clubs. You couldn't have a leadership group full of Colin Sylvias, but I think Colin Sylvia could bring something to the leadership group, that none of the other leaders around the club can.

It could have an extremely positive impact on his football too, the extra responsibility could result him to work even harder. He'd know that he was in the leadership group, and he had to set an example, and I think this could bring the best out of him.

Key word there is could, none of us will ever know, the players and coaching staff would have a much better idea. But if it happens I wouldn't be against it at all...

i have noticed sylvia has been... selfish is prob not the best word

but he has backed him self.. instead of trying to find a short option on many occasions bombed from 50m+

its good to see when half our team is overusing it and they are team lifting goals!

abit premature to suggest he is leadership material but he has certainly on his way if he can keep it up

i have noticed sylvia has been... selfish is prob not the best word

but he has backed him self.. instead of trying to find a short option on many occasions bombed from 50m+

its good to see when half our team is overusing it and they are team lifting goals!

abit premature to suggest he is leadership material but he has certainly on his way if he can keep it up

I can only hope that as a team we would have 18 blokes on the paddock backing themselves. Its when they dont..when they second guess...dont react in time.. or in laymans's essentially f*#@ up that we are in the most doo doo. Am happy that a player with ability and some footy nouse will indeed evaluate on the spot and take decisive steps as result. Some call this arrogance ...ut its not really if that is exactly what you are called upon to do..i.e PLAY !!..or as Kennedy says... DO...not think !! ;)