• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

KICKING SAND AT THE COAST

Demonland

KICKING SAND AT THE COAST by Delusional Dave from Dianella

The travelling Demons embark this week on their second road trip of the season. This time they cross the continent and their destination is the Western Australian capital city of Perth where they take on one-time rivals the West Coast Eagles.

Yes, once they were rivals and those expatriate Melbournians who live out in the west and follow the Demons witnesses some exciting battles between their old home town team and the new local addition to what was becoming a national competition.

Those were the early days when they met each other regularly in finals, when the Jakovich brothers featured on the football stage and when men wearing white shoes were the captains of the nation's industry.

But those days are now long gone as the two clubs struggle in football's cellar. Having finished last and second last in 2008 the two seem destined for the scrap heap again this year but they also have some company in the form of the dismal Dockers, the troubled Tigers and the ailing Kangaroos.

And with quite a few clubs already facing some form of strife at this stage of the year, Sunday's game presents these clubs with the perfect opportunity for a morale boosting win for their supporters and a chance to rise above the mire.

With the game being played at Subiaco it's the home side that will start out as favourite. After all, they have beaten two teams regarded much more highly at this ground already this year but they let themselves down last week with some atrocious kicking for goal against Freo.

Melbourne has been plucky against good opposition in the past fortnight but it struggles to kick goals and I can't remember the last time the Demons won on any foreign soil let alone at Subiaco my memory doesn't go back as far as Round 11, 2004).

The trouble with the boys in the red and the blue is that when they cross the Victorian border they become like one of those 90 pound skinny weaklings who have sand kicked in their faces by the bullies at the beach.

But whilst all this might point us in the direction of a West Coast victory a little voice inside my head says this week will be different. Something is telling me that Melbourne is about to emerge from its shell; the ugly duckling is awakening.

THE GAME West Coast v Melbourne at Subiaco – Sunday 10 May 2009 at 4.40pm (AEST)

HEAD TO HEAD

Overall: West Coast 23 wins Melbourne 14 wins

At Subiaco West Coast 10 wins Melbourne 5 wins

Since 2000: West Coast 7 wins Melbourne 6 wins

The Coaches: Worsfold 0 wins Bailey 1 win

MEDIA

TV Fox Sports 1 - Live from 4.30pm (AEST)

Radio ABC774 SEN

THE BETTING West Coast to win $1.18 Melbourne to win $4.50

LAST TIME THEY MET Melbourne 11.13.79 d West Coast 5.15.45 in Round 20, 2008 at the MCG

Here's the scenario:

West Coast had just beaten Essendon at Subiaco to record its fourth win of the season. Another victory would have deprived the Eagles of the chance to gain a priority pick in the upcoming draft and would also have denied them eligibility for a first round priority in 2009 given their final two matches were against Hawthorn and Geelong respectively.

Melbourne was at the bottom of the ladder with a paltry two wins and a percentage hovering around 60%.

Result: Surprise, surprise. The Eagles came over and played as if the who team was collectively suffering from the symptoms of swine flu and Melbourne easily won an historic match by 34 points.

After the game AFL chief reiterated his claim that AFL clubs don't tank just as a cluster of pigs was seen circling the MCG and scaring off the seagulls.

THE TEAMS

WEST COAST

Backs David Wirrpanda Darren Glass Mark Nicoski

Half backs Shannon Hurn Eric Mackenzie Adam Selwood

Centreline Matt Rosa Daniel Kerr Andrew Embley

Half forwards Adam Cockie Josh Kennedy Sam Butler

Forwards Mark LeCras Quinten Lynch Ben McKinley

Followers Dean Cox Matt Priddis Chris Masten

Interchange Adam Hunter Brett Jones Jamie McNamara

Emergencies Will Schofield Scott Selwood Beau Wilkes

In Josh Kennedy Jamie McNamara Matt Spangher

Out Mitch Brown (hamstring) Ashley Hansen (omitted) Brent Staker (hand)

MELBOURNE

Backs James Frawley Matthew Warnock Ricky Petterd

Half backs Cameron Bruce Jared Rivers Aaron Davey

Centreline Clint Bartram Colin Sylvia Brock McLean

Half forwards Cale Morton Lynden Dunn Russell Robertson

Forwards Brad Miller Stefan Martin Matthew Bate

Followers Paul Johnson Brent Moloney James McDonald

Interchange Jamie Bennell Jack Grimes Nathan Jones Addam Maric

Emergencies Kyle Cheney Neville Jetta Michael Newton

In Jack Grimes

Out John Meesen (foot)

THE LINE IN THE SAND

So where was I?

That's right. I was going on about the 90 pound skinny weaklings getting sand kicked in their faces and this is where I will draw on some recent football history to help guide the Demons onward to better things.

I look back now on the early days of Alastair Clarkson's coaching career when the Hawks were regularly beaten up by most sides not only on the scoreboard but also physically. Then one day, someone at the club called Dermott thought it might be a good idea for the Hawks to hit back; to draw a line in the sand and to say "we've had enough of the humiliation."

Skipper Richie Vandenberg, Campbell Brown and several others made their stand against Essendon and showed so much vigour that they were given a rest from the game courtesy of the AFL Tribunal. The Bombers who were winning the game well, went on to win by more and the whole exercise appeared to be one of futility on the day.

Many Hawk supporters however, point to the incident as one that was a turning point in their team's history. The next time they played Essendon, they lost again but it was only by a narrow margin. The Bombers have not beaten the Hawks since.

Now, I'm not advocating that Melbourne has to start a fight and risk the wrath of the Match Review Panel, Tribunal, Appeals Court and the Supreme Court to win some respect but you can draw the line in the sand by having a red hot dip and by performing consistently wherever the game might be played.

There's absolutely no reason why the Melbourne team which disposed of West Coast with great ease back in August last year, can't repeat the dose again this weekend at Subiaco. People point to the ruck dominance of Dean Cox against the Dees' dwindling number of ruckmen but I don't buy that. Cox played against them last year and Paul Johnson has all the incentive in the world to shine against his old club.

Besides, Melbourne's midfield simply shrugged off the brilliance of Big Cox when they last met and players like Cameron Bruce, Cale Morton and Colin Sylvia blew the Eagles away. They're all back again this year and so are Brock McLean, Brent Moloney and Nathan Jones. On top of that Aaron Davey is in brilliant form with his accurate disposal all around the ground.

And if you can't beat a team that needs to play a Cockie, then you're sure in trouble.

In summary then, I select Melbourne to win by 25 points by drawing the line in the sand in kicking it in the face of West Coast.

Guest JACKtheRIPPER
Without a Ruckman against Cox, u pick Melbourne to win by 25 on the road in WA?

Like your style dude, wish i was that confident.

We shall see....

dont forget sylvias back. :lol:

With Bate in the side we're tanking!

Managing our list.

When people say Bate still has credits in the bank, I want to know what bank offers unlimited withdrawals!

Four names I'll be keen to see go about it this weekend.

Jack Grimes - Will only be his second game so we won't expect too much from Grimey. But he showed some form in the pre-season, particularly the practise match against Sydney, enough to generate some excitment about his upcoming year. Coming off an injury he might be a little underdone but it will be good to see him get a few touches and show a little of what he can do.

Addam Maric - Disposal let him down last week which was surprising as he comes with the reputation of being skilled by foot. But he showed he could get the ball collecting 13 touches and looked as though he reads the play and moves without the ball well. Should adjust to the pace of the game better this week and will have come away from last weeks game with a few lessons. Will be interesting to see how he responds.

Stef Martin - Where will he play? Forward? Back? Ruck? Will likely assist in rucking duties around the ground. Hopefully he isn't thrown into the centre bounce. (Please spare him this Bails). Could see some time forward again as he was thrown up forward in the second half last week. Definately has the pace, spring and the hands to take a grab and could cause some headaches as a lead up forward on the long Subiaco ground. If he can develop as a forward it will make our lineup a little more flexible and less predictable. Let's see what he does this week.

Paul Johnson - Huge task this week for Johno and equally huge an opportunity for him to prove his doubters wrong. Not sure if he will as he comes up against arguably the best ruckman of the last decade Dean Cox. Early season form of opposition ruckman has the faithful nervous about this one. Cox must be licking his lips. Hopefully Johno can compete well but his limitations as a genuine first ruck option will be exposed if he doesn't maintain a high work rate throughout the game. Good luck Paul.

how would you burdening anyone? its not like you're on national television pumping them up, you're on an online forum for Gods sake.

My wish list:

30 touches from Morton

20 touches from Maric

Frawley to be named in our best again

Dunn to kick at least 2

Petterd to get 90+ dreamteam points

Grimes to hit targets by foot

Guest Digga
how would you burdening anyone? its not like you're on national television pumping them up, you're on an online forum for Gods sake.

My wish list:

30 touches from Morton

20 touches from Maric

Frawley to be named in our best again

Dunn to kick at least 2

Petterd to get 90+ dreamteam points

Grimes to hit targets by foot

BAHAHAHAHAHA

I'll be closely watching:

PJ: Needs to fulfil duties in the ruck, it will be interesting to see if he can run and keep going with Cox for the day, but I doubt it. Needs to kick a goal or two and win a hell of a lot of hitouts. No Spencer/Meesen to support him.

Only possible supporter in the ruck may be Stef Martin, who may just ruck in the back line, on forward line if he goes forward.

Maric: Interesting to see how the young guy goes. He only just got his spot after an average game last week, so he will need to stamp an influence in the team, and fast. His disposal was shocking against Geelong, but I think that more of a crumbing forward role would do him better, so i'll be watching him closely. A good goal from him is my lowest expectation.

Grimes: Good to see Grimey in for his first game of the year, 2nd of his career. Didn't do too much as Casey last week from what I saw but i'll be hoping for some good disposal effectiveness and good run and tackling.

Bater: Under the telescope coming into this weeks game. Needs to kick minumum 2 goals, to confirm his spot in the team for next week, in my opinion. Needs to use strong hands and get in the pack for more marking contests, which I have been criticising him on recently.

Davey: Will be watching him closesly, but only to see his exquisite ball skills.

I agree, we WILL win this, maybe the LAST win of the season but it's even sweeter when it's an interstate in on their home turf!

If we can win this one why not WCE when we play them at home later this year?

Or Richmond in the return game?

Or Fremantle on the G?

Or North or a surprise win over one of the others?

Well, I'll be listening for, rather than watching, but anyway;

Bate - must have an influence this week. Lucky to be playing, needs to justify the selectors' faith

Dunn - see Bate

Martin - I'll be very interested to see how this all plays out.

Maric - hopefully he won't be so nervous this week and won't be rushing all his disposals