Another Sylvia thread

Pipefitter

The guy has never shown anything to warrant persisting with him much longer. Do we give him until the end of the season? Maybe. If he had been pick 60 he would have been delisted long ago. As it stands he is taking up a spot that a younger player with ten times the commitment could be taking and developing. He doesn't have the work ethic to play in the midfield and he doesnt have the footskills to be a threat up forward. As much as I would like to be wrong, he just wont be in our best 22 come the end of the year. I feel he will go the way of Brent Grgic. He'll be traded for whatever we can get for him, he wont get a game at his new club and will be playing country footy after that.

It's now or never Col. Prove me wrong.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.................. As it stands he is taking up a spot that a younger player with ten times the commitment could be taking and developing. ................... He'll be traded for whatever we can get for him, ............

This is the crux of the matter....someone else could be taking advantage and growing in that game time !!

Guest hangon007
OR DELUSION !!

Ever heard about dragging a horse to water but not able to make it drink ?? lol

Call it what you want. However, reality is Colin is on our list ... like it or lump it.

I just don't feel its beneficial to give up on our players ... sorry I personally just cant do that.

Work on their strengths and try to improve their weaknesses ... will I get it right 100% of the time - No I wont. However, I'll never give up trying.

Think we will have to just agree to disagree on how we should treat our players.

Ps Should add I think this is a nasty trend evolving on gameday (possibly learned from places like this) ... Where people go and abuse and give their players the Bronx cheers ... again sorry I cant do that.

I challenge any Melbourne supporter who has something negative to say about Colin to go and say it to his face ... just you and him in a quiet private room some where. ;);)

Time some people around here started sticking up for our boys ... than kicking them when they are down.

This is an football forum mate. Used to express our opinions of players, positive and negative.

How do you not get that?

Call it what you want. However, reality is Colin is on our list ... like it or lump it.

I just don't feel its beneficial to give up on our players ... sorry I personally just cant do that.

Work on their strengths and try to improve their weaknesses ... will I get it right 100% of the time - No I wont. However, I'll never give up trying.

Think we will have to just agree to disagree on how we should treat our players.

Ps Should add I think this is a nasty trend evolving on gameday (possibly learned from places like this) ... Where people go and abuse and give their players the Bronx cheers ... again sorry I cant do that.

I am with you to a point but there is nothing wrong with a punter making an observation that player 'A' doesnt work hard enough, or kick well enough, or hit the contest hard enough. Its part of being a football supporter and making a judgement. When stuff starts to get personal or ridiculous as it often does here it can be hard to take.

Will Sylvia make it? the evidence suggests he has an ongoing problem with discipline and doesn't work anywhere near hard enough to get to contests. On most of the occasions I have seen him bar a couple of times he does not do the required work to impose himself. Melbourne people are frustrated with him and I would include the club themselves in that assessment. I want the switch to go off in his head and see him start to work hard on the ground

I hate bronx cheers, I don't think Melbourne people generallly get involved in this sort of crap. Richmond and St Kilda supporters are the best at it.

The Reality is he has been on our list for six years. We all want him to do well but how long do you wait? If we are to see a Premiership in the next few years Tough decisions need to be made. Is Colin going to help us win that Flag.... I don't think so. He has been given many chances.

atm this is all i have to say

COME ONE COLIN PROOVE EVERYONE WRONG THIS WEEK!!!

STICK IT RIGHT UP EM! ;)

That would be great, especially if he actually seemed to give a damn :rolleyes: ........

So what is a pass mark for Col?

What do supporters who have canned him, and said to trade / delist him at year end want him to do to save his career?

I would suggest 20 goals and 15 consecutive games. Agreed he has not played well but imagine being a forward for us at the moment? The ball comes in twice a quarter, usually a high kick or mongrel punt.

I concur with what everyone is saying regarding his inability to find the ball and passion but the next option is worse.

Put him on notice, but to drop him for someone not physically ready is not smart in the long run.

Consider me walking next to the bandwagon. Season 2009 will tell me whther to get back on.

Cmon Dees

Guest hangon007
This is an football forum mate. Used to express our opinions of players, positive and negative.

How do you not get that?

Mate ... I understand its just a forum. I've never said anybody cant express their "opinions" ... Its how you express them that interests me.

If you are allowed to express your opinion by that same very notation I'm allowed to challenge it.

I'm not saying I'm right - I'm not saying anybody is wrong.

I honestly cant believe I'm saying what I'm saying in a Melbourne Football Club Forum ... where I have to ask fellow Melbourne supporters to treat our players with a little respect. However, maybe thats just a sign of the times and the methods we choose to engage our fellow supporters.

No big deal ... so maybe you are right ... I just dont get it. ;)

Guest hangon007
I am with you to a point but there is nothing wrong with a punter making an observation that player 'A' doesnt work hard enough, or kick well enough, or hit the contest hard enough. Its part of being a football supporter and making a judgement. When stuff starts to get personal or ridiculous as it often does here it can be hard to take.

Point taken ... very nicely put.

I honestly cant believe I'm saying what I'm saying in a Melbourne Football Club Forum ... where I have to ask fellow Melbourne supporters to treat our players with a little respect. However, maybe thats just a sign of the times and the methods we choose to engage our fellow supporters.

No big deal ... so maybe you are right ... I just dont get it. ;)

Sign of the times?

I'd wager people have spoken about players of their club like this pretty much since the game began, it's part of sports.

I love it when people sugar-coat history to serve an argument.

What has been said in this forum that you can't imagine being said over a quiet one/at the game/at home?

I honestly cant believe I'm saying what I'm saying in a Melbourne Football Club Forum ... where I have to ask fellow Melbourne supporters to treat our players with a little respect.

Colin is not getting beaten up for anything other than his apparent total lack of commitment to the game and the club 007......

There have been no abusive posts and no personal attacks that I have seen, just disagreements on whether he as still deserving of a spot in our team.

And as for showing our players respect, this is delightful and loving compared to what other players (& their supporters) have copped in the past!!!

And as for showing our players respect, this is delightful and loving compared to what Richmond players (& their supporters) have copped in the past!!!

Guest hangon007
Colin is not getting beaten up for anything other than his apparent total lack of commitment to the game and the club 007......

There have been no abusive posts and no personal attacks that I have seen, just disagreements on whether he as still deserving of a spot in our team.

And as for showing our players respect, this is delightful and loving compared to what other players (& their supporters) have copped in the past!!!

Point taken ... yet I only challenged the notion and thought the "attack was personal" saying the effort would be worth investing when he still is on our list.

When somebody says the following ...

Sylvia = Failure...simple as that. People , well some seem to avoid the reality of this..such is life. Time to "Carrol-ise" him !! end of story

He's just not worth the effort !!!!

Look their are always numerous ways to "skin a cat'.

Long thread for a bloke that is quickly becoming surplus to requirements. That's because of the investment we put in him.

Sylvia needs to run until he throws up. He would never have come close to doing that so far in his career.

We'll see if he can work his way back into the top 30 at the club.

Why do we have to persist with him? He is Cupido mark 2. He is lazy, undisciplined and lacks any football smarts aside from a good set of hands. If he does not understand his career is on tenderhooks then he is the dumbest footballer there is. Dump him to Casey I dont care who for and delist him at years end or trade him for whatever you can get.

We can at least persist with him for the time being after a full pre season, probably the only full pre season he's had since he started. At the very least see what he can conjure this year.

To anyone who has held anything more than hopes for him, you are deluded. The guy has never proven anything at senior level. Unfortunately, he has always done just enough every now and again to demonstrate that he has the skills to be anything. However, he is a total waste of space because he is a stupid footballer (always the guy who isn't in the right position in the zone, that free kick/50m/goal to start Port today when we were competing well). Mostly, he just doesn't care. He plays like he thinks he has achieved something. Well Colin, you are a nothing footballer. Worse than that. You have ability and a poor attitude, and you let down your mates.

To those who say persevere, you are accepting total and utter crap. Colin spits in your face. The guy does not play like he cares. Where a guy isn't dominant, you persevere with if they bleed for you - like Junior, who don't have half the ability of Colin, but are 100 times better footballers (or Powell is another that comes to mind). If we had any balls as a club, we would have traded him when we traded Travis. We should only play him again this year if he earns his spot from 3 consecutive good efforts at Casey. End of year, we should trade him for pick whatever.

I will make sure I wear a hankerchief over my face then... ;) . 72 games, 23 years of age.

I won't whack you. I agree, his skills as they were when he came to the club, and as they are now are why he remains such a big topic. But you sum it up yourself. He will never be an out and out blue chip star... So why not entertain the thought of a trade? Rhino hits it on the head. He has little value that would make it worth trading, but if he monstered the comp over the second half of the season, we could ride that wave and get something for him...

I actually like Col, enjoy watching him play, but like you I have to admit he will have limits. It's like with Bruce. He has limits too, but he gets the best out of himself, and would be pretty worthless in a trade at his age. Col is the other way around. Recruiters may believe all he needs is a team around him, a firebrand coach who can get into his ear, and time, which is still on his side.

I'm thinking GC would probably be our best bet at this stage. Freo are probably not going to be the promised land of draft picks anymore.

If he 'monstered the comp' as you say over the second half of the season, why not ride that wave into next season and beyond, instead of getting something for him in a trade? If he has such a form reversal and the 'penny may have dropped' and finally matured as a footballer with consistency, wouldn't you be crazy to get rid of such an asset?

Give Sylvia the year to bounce back. He will.