Newton and Sylvia....pole opposites

paddo

I admit that I have been a staunch defender of Juice for some time, but I concede his days are numbered. However, footy is 90 per cent above the shoulders and I believe that Bailey needs to back him in for the first 5 or 6 rounds; give him an extended run at FF regardless of performance. The man has talent, but I think he is suffering from the burden of expectation which I'm sure we have all experienced at any level of sport.

On the other hand, Col Sylvia seems far too comfortable in the senior team. He played most games last year on the back of a number of substandard performances. He needs to be dropped to the VFL for the first few rounds of the home and away season.

Hopefully these very different measures will be the catalyst for these two unfulfilled talents.

Sorry Paddo, I just do not see any talent in Newton. Media built him up because he took a speccy. He has done nothing else in his ordinary career. Sylvia on the other hand has talent but rarely uses it, however saying that, he is far more likely to give us something than Newton.

Sorry Paddo, I just do not see any talent in Newton. Media built him up because he took a speccy. He has done nothing else in his ordinary career. Sylvia on the other hand has talent but rarely uses it, however saying that, he is far more likely to give us something than Newton.

Colin Sylvia will Give us Nothing More Than Headaches in the Future. I Now Doubt he is a top line Player. Time is rapidly Fading For Colin.

Disagree completely!!!

I think people are sooooo off the mark with Sylvia.

The problem is that people expect him to be a champion simply because he was pick 3. The reality however, is that there are only about 5-10 quality players to come out of that draft and it was extrmely poor draft. Think about how many top 10 picks turn out to be duds and don't even play an AFL game. Simply because you're a top pick means you have the potential to be a superstar.

Sylvia is and will be for a very long time a good/very good player for MFC. nothing more and nothing less. He will play on a forward flank most of this year and i predict he will, on average, get 15-18 quality possessions and kick a couple of goals. This is a more than respectable return. Not the return of a superstar, but a good return for a pretty good player.

We need to change our mindset with Sylvia. We will gain a 150 player who averages around 1-2 goals a game and shows some genuine glimpses of magic. He will play on the wing or as a forward. He will never be MFC's best player, and never the most important player.

Regardless of what other think, I like watching Sylvia play and will continue to enjoy this for the next few years.

agree paddo

The thing that strikes me about Newton is that he just doen't look right on an AFL footy field. (Maybe he does in Wangarratta where he comes from, but I doubt it). He doesn't move right; he just looks out of place; he doesn't belong.

I can't say the same about Sylvia or a few others we debate on this board, but Newton? Simply NO.

Disagree completely!!!

I think people are sooooo off the mark with Sylvia.

The problem is that people expect him to be a champion simply because he was pick 3. The reality however, is that there are only about 5-10 quality players to come out of that draft and it was extrmely poor draft. Think about how many top 10 picks turn out to be duds and don't even play an AFL game. Simply because you're a top pick means you have the potential to be a superstar.

Sylvia is and will be for a very long time a good/very good player for MFC. nothing more and nothing less. He will play on a forward flank most of this year and i predict he will, on average, get 15-18 quality possessions and kick a couple of goals. This is a more than respectable return. Not the return of a superstar, but a good return for a pretty good player.

We need to change our mindset with Sylvia. We will gain a 150 player who averages around 1-2 goals a game and shows some genuine glimpses of magic. He will play on the wing or as a forward. He will never be MFC's best player, and never the most important player.

Regardless of what other think, I like watching Sylvia play and will continue to enjoy this for the next few years.

If Sylvia was a Good Player the Team would have won the game on saturday. That Game was important for us to win. To gin TV Coverage, memberships etc. We had the Hawks By the Balls & let them off, Not Good enough.

Stop Dreaming about how good Sylvia is WAKE UP. (The Sheets are wet) He has been with us for six years. He is always going to be good but isn't.

TV coverage?

I checked the online guie and it says Carlton v Hawthorn is on Foxtel

Fair Enough But i am suprised, I would have thought all games in the Remaining NAB would have been Free to Air, IO stand corrected. Still Think we Blew a Good chance away though. Chances like that can be rare.

His bio (Colin Sylvia that is) says he had 100 more touches in 2008, than any of his previous seasons, and played the most games in a season to date with 18.

Sure, being caught out having a chuckle after a loss on the weekend wasn't great..............but after him finally gtting his body right last year, why would we want to ge rid of him right now.

Make no mistake, this is a big year for him............but after coming off a solid season last year, let's not hang the guy for an average outting in a preseason game!

NEWTON Rubbish! SYLVIA Rubbish!

I could pick 10 other players to take there spot in our top 22 and show a bit of heart and passion.

If either do play Round 1 I hope they have bloody earned there spot. No charities this year! If your not good enough your over and out. See ya!

I could pick 10 other players to take there spot in our top 22 and show a bit of heart and passion.

If either do play Round 1 I hope they have bloody earned there spot. No charities this year! If your not good enough your over and out. See ya!

I agree those two will never play in Deep September so i am skeptical on wether we should persist. We would have won that game on saturday if Colin had pulled his finger out, & have no fear beating the Hawthorn jumper would have done our club a lot of good. I don't care what type of game it is. This club needs to win anything it can. Otherwise we don't deserve to be custodians of the MCG.

Who on our list do you rate as "good enough?" And what are your criteria for "good enough?"

Too be honest! Anyone on our list would be better than those two at the moment.

Good enough - Someone who gives 100%, Someone who is competitive, Someone who is a team player.

Two recent players who fitted that profile week in week out in my book where Nathan "Doggie" Brown and Daniel Ward.

They wer'nt the most skilful players but they fitted the criteria above week in week out!

Dee tention, didn't we just sign Newton to a 2 year deal?? The coaching staff obviously see something in him. We have to give him a go otherwise it's just a waste. I don't think Juice has been given a decent run at it yet.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

When either of these blokes play a tough game and they contribute a bunch of 1%'s then I will rate them but from what I've seen of them over their careers it hasn't happened and it never will. Give someone who will give 100% regardless of ability their spots.

Too be honest! Anyone on our list would be better than those two at the moment.

Good enough - Someone who gives 100%, Someone who is competitive, Someone who is a team player.

Two recent players who fitted that profile week in week out in my book where Nathan "Doggie" Brown and Daniel Ward.

They wer'nt the most skilful players but they fitted the criteria above week in week out!

They are no longer on our list. Who from our current list?

The truth is that Sylvia gets a game because he is our best option at the moment.

There is a reason why we finished last in 08. We dont have players who are challenging for postition yet.

No they just used to get the ball and cough it up continually to the opposition. Its not good enough either and we rightly moved them on.

Dee tention, didn't we just sign Newton to a 2 year deal?? The coaching staff obviously see something in him. We have to give him a go otherwise it's just a waste. I don't think Juice has been given a decent run at it yet.

Newton's blown more opportunities than his form deserves.

Paddo, there are three upcoming NAB Challenge matches before the season proper begins. This should be Newton's testing ground. Poor performances over the next three weeks should see him omitted from the Round 1 team. He doesn't deserve 6 weeks in the team before a decision is made.

If Newton does not show anything in his next pre season match, he wont be considered for a long time. He already has a couple of crosses on his file and unless he dramatically changes his form then he is Casey only material.

He is surviving due to he absence of other options up forward. But that wont last long

What I'm confused about is that last year, Bailey said we would essentially play the same 22 for the first 6 weeks to "cut the fat" in a way, to find out which players had it and which we needn't bother with.

Newton wasn't seen between Round One and Round Fifteen, did little in those matches and yet won a two year contract.

I'm still a little stunned

Newton's blown more opportunities than his form deserves.

See if you can get off the fence for once in your life, and give me a one word answer to the following question:

Did the football dept. get it wrong by signing Newton to a 2 year deal?