Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

My thoughts.

Bollinger out: fair enough

Hilf + Johnson in: Hilf had one bad test, deserves to be in squad and only missing out if the wickets aren't meant to swing. I don't like the re inclusion of Johnson - but he is a test performer so I won't go all high horse on it. There's too much to complain about to worry about what they are doing with MJ.

Doherty Out/ Beer In: We don't seem to have a spinner in the country who is up to it. We need a plan going forward on how to address this. All I want from the selectors is some kind of plan. Ie. were going to go horses for courses for a while, or where going to give everyone a try, or were including this guy and that's how its going to be. I hope this Beer dude can field.

North out: had to happen

Smith in: BAD! if he's going to be an all rounder or spinner the pressure of walking in now to bat at number 6 will ruin his bowling development. They've pushed the trigger too early in searching for a replacement. Both Hussey and Khawaja have first class averages of 50+. Hussey has an average of 55 with over 10,000 first class runs. Khawaja is technically organised, 24 and not in hopeless form this summer. Blooding youngsters is fine, but you have to give them a chance. Now Smith is in he needs a big chance, even though I think at 6 he is destined to fail. Man it sucks that McDonald got injured.

Hughes In: He's had some success at test level and a good first class average. I'm willing to give him a shot as his only competition is Marsh, who despite some good scores of late is not up to it.

Yes, I would have gone with Hauritz. Really, if it's down to him and Beer, Hauritz wins in a canter. I'm not saying Hauritz can win us the Ashes, because he can't, but Beer isn't deserving of a baggy green. David Hussey made something of a plea to selectors yesterday to stop giving baggy greens to players who hadn't earned one, and look to rewarding those who perform for their state instead. Beer certaintly doesn't deserve a Test call up.

Again, with Hughes, you've got to earn your spot. He's riding on credits from 18 months ago, just like Mitchell Johnson was. His form over the last 12 months has been poor, it's not just his last two innings. His Shield average this season is around 20.

Bollinger had to go. Cameron, Copeland or McKay should have been his replacement.

We know Hauritz is not good enough to bowl a team and probably never will. (Though he is more likely to win a game off his bat than with the ball). Beer gets his opportunity. And if Beer is not good enough for the baggy green then is Hauritz? Anyway I had thought the name had been synonymous with Australian cricket for decades. B). And I am not sure what value it is for DHussey making statements to the selectors.

I agree with the quicks that I would have gone Cameron or Copeland instead of Hilf and Mitch but its line ball and a case of the cupboard is bare.

So David Hussey is wasting his time today is he?? Unbelievable that Hilditch & co don't even give him a chance to stake a claim on a spot, whilst playing the English side!!

Not Happy Jan (at all)

Careful you want to drop his brother even though he is making all the runs. :wacko:

And well done thats the closest you have got to making a coherent selection decision. Its a start. :lol:

Man it sucks that McDonald got injured.

It certainly does. I'd much prefer him in the side at 7 than Smith. We still play 3 quicks and a spinner with McDonald as the fourth seamer. His form with both bat and ball should have got him into that initial 17-man squad. Travesty that he missed out, and borderline tragedy that he broke his hand when he did.

We know Hauritz is not good enough to bowl a team and probably never will. (Though he is more likely to win a game off his bat than with the ball). Beer gets his opportunity. And if Beer is not good enough for the baggy green then is Hauritz? Anyway I had thought the name had been synonymous with Australian cricket for decades. B). And I am not sure what value it is for DHussey making statements to the selectors.

The thing about Hauritz vs Beer is that Hauritz has at least put in some decent Shield efforts this season. He hit back with a 5-for after being dropped, then obviously made a ton yesterday (not that the runs count). Beer's best haul this season is 3/39. Hardly match-winning. Or even competent, tbh. Even Doherty had a 5-for before he played.

I don't know that I can be bothered writing a thesis on this like everyone else, because I think the selections speak for themselves. I probably would've selected David Hussey instead of Smith and I know nothing about this Beer bloke, but really, none of this impacts on the main point: We are going to get completely rogered in this Test. I don't think any other combinations of average players would change that.

It certainly does. I'd much prefer him in the side at 7 than Smith. We still play 3 quicks and a spinner with McDonald as the fourth seamer. His form with both bat and ball should have got him into that initial 17-man squad. Travesty that he missed out, and borderline tragedy that he broke his hand when he did.

The thing about Hauritz vs Beer is that Hauritz has at least put in some decent Shield efforts this season. He hit back with a 5-for after being dropped, then obviously made a ton yesterday (not that the runs count). Beer's best haul this season is 3/39. Hardly match-winning. Or even competent, tbh. Even Doherty had a 5-for before he played.

McDonald is unlucky with the injury and would possibly have been a chance.

Its a bit like Paul Johnson. He has won a Liston in the VFL but he is a proven fail at AFL level. You know what you need to know with PJ. The same goes for Hauritz. I dont want to recycle crud. I would be prepared to give Beer a chance (think about that) than get a greater sense of deja vu with Hauritz. I am not sure what value a 5 for is at Shield level as it does not translate to Test standard. Hauritz and Doherty have had their chance at Test level and blown it. Beer gets the opportunity being in the right spot at the right time.

Tell you what, the sub-editors are going to have a field day writing headlines.

If any media outlet uses this then I will sue....

Anyone selection could go something like this:

In Beer

Out Bollinger.

At with Merv no longer as a selector, there can be no claims of bias in selecting Beer... :unsure: I think I will leave the Beer lines to those witty wags on Ch 9 Grieg and Chappelli.

At with Merv no longer as a selector, there can be no claims of bias in selecting Beer... :unsure: I think I will leave the Beer lines to those witty wags on Ch 9 Grieg and Chappelli.

Speaking of Chappelli and Greig: I watched a game of cricket from 1984 (I was born in late '83) on Fox a few days ago, and the first thing I observed that the commentary team was Chappell, Greig, Lawry and Benaud. Commenting on the Cricket is clearly not a gig one relinquishes readily. I've spent my whole life listening to the same commentary team. :wacko:

Anyway, not much to do with this Test, but it is the general cricket thread! :lol:

Speaking of Chappelli and Greig: I watched a game of cricket from 1984 (I was born in late '83) on Fox a few days ago, and the first thing I observed that the commentary team was Chappell, Greig, Lawry and Benaud. Commenting on the Cricket is clearly not a gig one relinquishes readily. I've spent my whole life listening to the same commentary team. :wacko:

Anyway, not much to do with this Test, but it is the general cricket thread! :lol:

Billy Birmingham certainly appreciated the selection criteria of the Commentary Box since 1978. B)

I don't have a problem with the selections. I thought that Hughes for Katich and Smith for North were absolute monties to happen.

The Ashes this year are gone. The current crop are clearly not going to win it for us, so there's no point selecting a player like D Hussey or Hauritz as our next spinner. We are better off selecting players who are a chance to help us win the next Ashes. And the one after that. And the one after that.

Smith is currently a batsman who is developing his spin bowling game. He has a lot of spin potential, but he's a batting all rounder at the moment. People under rate his batting simply because they pigeon hole him as spin bowler who can bat, when it is currently the other way around. He's being selected as a batsman who happens bowl a bit. In time this may change, but not at the moment. He's being picked for the future - he's 21.

And that's the same as Beer and Hughes. Hughes is only 22 years old and averages over 50 in first class and test cricket. He's a future player, even if he's not playing at his best at the moment.

The spinner's role is a lottery and there is no spinner around the country at the moment that is good enough to demand a spot in the Australian team based purely on results. But there is a history of spinners being plucked from obscurity based on talent and temperament. Beer hasn't played a heap of first class cricket, but I'm prepared to give him a shot based on talent and temperament. I would have gone for O'Keefe, but that's only because I've seen him bowl - I haven't seen Beer enough to make a real judgement.

I am happy that the selectors have selected for the future rather than go for the short term. After the retirement of our stars we have relied far too much on bringing in mature players to top up our top players. But now we lack those top players and the selectors are going to have to back their judgement and look for the next crop of top players.

I like the selections.

The rumour was that when at the end of his Test Career, Tony Greig was one of the first players to sign for WSC in the late 70s, it was said that Kerry Packer promised Greig a job for a life as a cricket commentator. I cant tie it to a direct source but I think its true. How else can you explain how he is still there?? I am not sure what promise was made to Chappelli. But he is as interesting as a soggy salad.

I still listen to the radio and stuff the deliberate timing difference caused by the Ch 9 live telecast 5 second delay.

Ready...

Very astute man Buchanan.

Yeah he is, but are you ? Right to go WYL. Thread is open. Get in early...

The consensus seems to be that Katich will be replaced by Hughes. Not even scoring a mention is Jaques, who has a pretty handy Test average of 47.

Good point. I guess he has to be scoring to be noticed. What has he done ?

Fourth time he's done it too - three have them have been crucial IIRC

Maybe if he spent less time wondering about how his Bonds underwear fit and more concentration out in the middle for his country.....am I being too harsh ?

Thread is open.

Warne said we should pick Beer.

Not sure he'll be named in any of the sides for the Best XI just yet, but he has an excellent grade cricket record. Tests are another thing.

If England were making selections like us we - Australian supporters - would be in hysterics.

Guinness anyone ?

We are going to get completely rogered in this Test. I don't think any other combinations of average players would change that.

Threads open Nasher if you're interested.

I don't have a problem with the selections. I thought that Hughes for Katich and Smith for North were absolute monties to happen.

The Ashes this year are gone. The current crop are clearly not going to win it for us, so there's no point selecting a player like D Hussey or Hauritz as our next spinner. We are better off selecting players who are a chance to help us win the next Ashes. And the one after that. And the one after that.

Smith is currently a batsman who is developing his spin bowling game. He has a lot of spin potential, but he's a batting all rounder at the moment. People under rate his batting simply because they pigeon hole him as spin bowler who can bat, when it is currently the other way around. He's being selected as a batsman who happens bowl a bit. In time this may change, but not at the moment. He's being picked for the future - he's 21.

And that's the same as Beer and Hughes. Hughes is only 22 years old and averages over 50 in first class and test cricket. He's a future player, even if he's not playing at his best at the moment.

The spinner's role is a lottery and there is no spinner around the country at the moment that is good enough to demand a spot in the Australian team based purely on results. But there is a history of spinners being plucked from obscurity based on talent and temperament. Beer hasn't played a heap of first class cricket, but I'm prepared to give him a shot based on talent and temperament. I would have gone for O'Keefe, but that's only because I've seen him bowl - I haven't seen Beer enough to make a real judgement.

I am happy that the selectors have selected for the future rather than go for the short term. After the retirement of our stars we have relied far too much on bringing in mature players to top up our top players. But now we lack those top players and the selectors are going to have to back their judgement and look for the next crop of top players.

I like the selections.

You put forward your arguments well AoB.

I know Smith is a batsman who bowls, not a bowler who bats. With that in mind, I still don't rate his batting at Test level. Hughes is not in any form at all, and it's a slap in the face to players like Shaun Marsh who are plugging away at Shield level for no reward.

I also disagree with your statement that the Ashes are gone. Yes, England is in the box seat, but for mine whilst the series is still alive I'd like to see us at least try. We have Bangladesh next year, that can be where we begin to experiment for the future. Right now, we ought to be picking the best batsmen and bowlers in the country.

You put forward your arguments well AoB.

AoB's post made me rethink my position too.

If you take it for a given that these Ashes are gone, then he's absolutely spot on: cut our losses and start formulating a side ready to get the bloody things back next time. With a moment of quiet reflection, I agree that that's what's in order. I don't think our current side is in any condition to salvage these ones. The Poms batsmen and Anderson are just too red hot and this is the worst Australian Test side I've ever seen (too young to remember the early-mid 80s). I'm not normally a fan of flying the white flag (and I can hear WYL turning in his UFO as he hurtles towards this thread), but I think one has to recognise when one is in a completely hopeless situation and act accordingly.

I guess the sticking point is whether or not you believe these Ashes are already lost or not.

Alex Keath could be one hell of a player - he's already a great talent. In his first first-class match innings (against an International side)he's fall just shot of a half century.

Collingwood now has 3/8.

Crazy game. Victoria batted most of its bowlers instead of White and Hussey, and England bowled their batsmen to ensure a declaration was reached. It ended up with McKay and Herrick taking 80 runs in 19 minutes off Strauss and Morgan!

Now Clint McKay is sticking it up the selectors by taking English wickets! 3/36.

I don't know that I can be bothered writing a thesis on this like everyone else, because I think the selections speak for themselves. I probably would've selected David Hussey instead of Smith and I know nothing about this Beer bloke, but really, none of this impacts on the main point: We are going to get completely rogered in this Test. I don't think any other combinations of average players would change that.

You wrote more than me :P

I noticed this in a recent Age article about a likely review of Aus cricket post-Ashes:

Former captain Steve Waugh, who could be drafted in to help with the review, presented a commonsense approach last week when he said stability was the key to long-term revival.

''This is a situation similar to back in '85-86 when the selectors sat down and thought: 'This is a group of cricketers we're going to stick with through thick and thin and let's back them','' said Waugh, who took 27 Tests to notch his maiden Test century.

''They are almost at the point now where they've got to identify players and say, 'Righto, we're going to stick with them'.

The above is what I've been saying for a fair while now.

I noticed this in a recent Age article about a likely review of Aus cricket post-Ashes

The above is what I've been saying for a fair while now.

Yeah, there was a Dean Jones written article in The Age yesterday about the same era, saying the same thing.

Always good to see ex-players letting us know the gate's open after the horse has bolted ;)

Talking of Jones, what's with the 'bring back Warne' talk getting a run again this series?

Probably just trying to improve ratings for the Warnie show.

Mind you Warne himself is doing the promotion of he's show no harm by locking lips with one Elizabeth Hurley.

First there was Hugh Grant, then Austin Powers and now Warnie. Liz has hit the jackpot in her life Yeahhowww baby !

I like the selections.

It sounds familiar to me. Not unlike Melbourne under a certain coach & footy dept not so many years back. And those senior players are stale.

Step aside Ricky & bat down a bit. Clarky,,, ah, I'd rather have Nathan Brown from the tigers as captain. Or is it actually him with a tan.

Always good to see ex-players letting us know the gate's open after the horse has bolted ;)

Talking of Jones, what's with the 'bring back Warne' talk getting a run again this series?

Bringing back Warne is a good Idea! Or was.. BUT Not as a bowler,,,BUT Rather as the skipper who can field at slip & get that side organised & playing with Spirit & confidence. He can bowl part time as required,,, but my Idea would be for him to lead & develop that side into a hard competing Unit again.

The pretty boys have lossed that sides MOJO,,, & they need to find it again. Bring back Heals &/or Tubby,, offield, to assist the direction.