Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

From Cricinfo ... McDermott says bouncer barrage will continue

"There's not too many tailenders around the place who bat below seven that enjoy playing a lot of balls around their helmet, so, so be it.

"We just want to play good, aggressive, Australian cricket, and keep doing that every single day from the moment we put our feet over the [boundary] rope."

With regards to Johnson, McDermott went on to say ...

"Everyone keeps talking about me, but it's really had nothing to do with me to be honest," McDermott said of Johnson's startling return. "He's got himself together … the 12 months out of the game has really done him the world of good I think, he's come back a complete cricketer and he's on top of his batting, he's bowling fast, and we've got a great unit.

While I am enjoying the 2-0 score, I am getting sick of pointless Mitch bumper barrage hype that is coming forth. The articles are so frothy and light I wonder why they bother.

Aside from Malcolm Knox and Gideon Haigh, the rest of the reporting is over the top and forgettable.

And Cricinfo has gone off in my estimation. They don't like doing the Huddle segment when they are losing. It's too England centric.

Lunch Day 2:

New Zealand 441

R. Taylor 129

BJ. Watling 65

K. Williamson 45

T. Best 4/110 (21)

S. Gabriel 2/86 (25.1)

D. Sammy 2/92 (25)

An amazing morning by New Zealand adding over 100 runs for the loss of 4 wickets. We saw Tino Best on a hat trick with the number 11 Trent Boult coming out to face the hat trick ball, only for Boult & Watling to then put on a 58 run stand for the final wicket. To add insult to injurt when Boult was on 3 (ended up 38*) and Watling 45, Boult was caught in the deep only for the fielder Tino Best to misjudge where the rope was a carry the ball over for 6. 50 odd runs later the final wicket finally came.

As I've said sevral times, the Windies sent New Zealand in, and to have the Black caps make over 400 on this green pitch is nothing short of disaster for the West Indies. They really need to look at their bowling line up and how they're likely to take 20 wickets, becasue the crop they've taken into these first two tests is very under whelming.

So Windies to come out and bat after lunch and fingers crossed they can make a good score to keep this match interesting!

Stumps on a rain effected Day 2

New Zealand 441

R. Taylor 129

BJ. Watling 65

K. Williamson 45

T. Best 4/110 (21)

S. Gabriel 2/86 (25.1)

D. Sammy 2/92 (25)

West Indies 4/158

K. Edwards 55

M. Samuels 50*

K. Powell 21

C. Anderson 2/20 (7)

T. Boult 1/25 (9)

T. Southee 1/40 (9)

Windies required another 84 runs to avoid the follow on and their two best batsmen Chanderpaul & Bravo are back in the sheds with only 10 runs between them. They'll require something big from Samuels and support from Deonarine, Ramdin & Sammy if they're to fight their way back into the game tomorrow. Best case scenario may be to avoid the follow on, get within 100 runs and then hope for a typical New Zealand 3rd innings collapse leaving them 250-300 for victory. Although with the Windies bowling line up there's a fat chance of them knocking over the Kiwis cheaply.

Amazing morning in whcih West Indies lost 6/35 with Trent Boult finishing with six for, and taking 4 wickets in 6 balls, three of them bowled.

Windies 248 runs behind and New Zealand are enforcing the follow on again.

I hope for their sake they have better luck then the last two times they've done this against the Windies & England. Wonder if the Windies can get out of gaol again???

Lunch Day 3

New Zealand 441

R. Taylor 129

BJ. Watling 65

T. Best 4/110 (21)

S. Gabriel 2/86 (25.1)

West Indies 193

M. Samuels 60

K. Edwards 55

T. Boult 6/40 (15)

C. Anderson 2/20 (7)

West Indies 2nd Innings 0/45

K. Powell 23*

K. Edwards 17*

T. Boult 0/5 (2)

T. Southee 0/5 (2)

As I said earlier, a spectacular collapse from the Windies to loose 6/35 this morning and be all out for 193 and more then 200 behing on the 1st Innings. After the last test matc, I'm suprised McCullum enforced the follow on again. I thought he may have elected to bat and make 200 and possibly declare at stumps like Australia did again England. All I know is that if New Zealand can't win this test match then they'll never win one! And I reckon McCullum will be a little nervous that they haven't taken an ealry 2nd innings wicket yet.

Only the one change for England, with Bresnan replacing Panesar. We're unchanged, and Clarke's won the toss for the third time so we're batting first.

Great result for us to be batting. Big score of 400+ and they're right under the pump!

Meanwhile in New Zealand at Tea on Day 3

New Zealand 441

R. Taylor 129

BJ. Watling 65

T. Best 4/110 (21)

S. Gabriel 2/86 (25.1)

West Indies 193

M. Samuels 60

K. Edwards 55

T. Boult 6/40 (15)

C. Anderson 2/20 (7)

West Indies 2nd Innings 5/135

K. Powell 36

K. Edwards 35

T. Southee 3/24 (11)

T. Boult 1/30 (7)

That match could be all over by stumps tonight the way it's going. Chanderpaul, Ramdin & Sammy the last hopes for the Windies with the bat, but can't see them pulling off another miracle the way they're going!

Just plonked 20 on Warner to make a hundred.

If we can see off this new ball then it will happen.

Well it's all over inside three days in New Zealand

New Zealand 441

R. Taylor 129

BJ. Watling 65

T. Best 4/110 (21)

S. Gabriel 2/86 (25.1)

West Indies 193

M. Samuels 60

K. Edwards 55

T. Boult 6/40 (15)

C. Anderson 2/20 (7)

West Indies 2nd Innings 175

K. Powell 36

K. Edwards 35

T. Boult 4/40 (12.5)

T. Southee 3/24 (11)

10 wickets for the match for Boult and New Zealand win by an innings and 73 runs.

Time for big changes in WI cricket, time to throw the baby out with the bath water so to speak and really look at turning things around which may require saying goodbye to some older statesmen in order to find their next best field of players coming through.

Our form in this series has masked the fact that we're carrying sub-standard batsmen, and Watson heads that list.

That shot was awful, and was almost identical to his dismissal in Adelaide where he bunted it back to Anderson. Playing the big drive though the ball wasn't close to full enough for the shot. He's an immensely limited cricketer, his best isn't good enough, and whether we win this series or not, he's a weakness in our batting line up.

Nonetheless, England's got two wickets but we've given them both away (Rogers' stupid running and Watson's stupid batting). Some calmness from Warner and Clarke, and we can still do alright, especially with 72 runs already on the board with 40 minutes before lunch.

Shocking outs from Watson and Warner.

Warmer just cost me $110.

[censored].

Also a shout out to Quinten de Kock who, in a three-match ODI series against India, hit three 100s.

Quinten de Who?

jk. I had to check twice before sending you a warning. :)

Looking forward to some good cricket over the weekend, kind of hoping the Aussies would let the Poms swelter for 2.5 days in the field, but it looks like that will have to be the second dig now.

Interesting cricket at the moment, because the aggressive cricket seems to be a definite plan.

I'm just trying to work out why.

Maybe it's because they feel that the bounce and pace of the pitch will get batsmen out sooner or later. Maybe it's because they want to knock England off their line and length, allowing more scoring opportunities of a fast scoring ground. Maybe it's a mental thing where they want to dominate England. Maybe they are just nervous about the pace and bounce in the pitch.

My guess is that it's a combination of the first and second. The bounce will get you if you keep the ball in the right spots, so they are using attack to get the ball out of the right spots.

Either way, it's thrilling cricket and Smith is playing beautifully. Really mature.

What's par for the first dig on this track? 375? 400?

It's difficult to always say at the WACA.

Last year South Africa were bowled out for 225, yet went onto win the match by about 400 runs. The WACA of recent times seems to be at it's best to bowl on Day 2 and then flatens out a bit until the cracks open up on the last day.

I'm happy with our score at stumps, given we've got 4 wickets in hand and their bowlers have looked tired since lunch. If we can get to 400, which is looking good then we're unlikely to loose this match unless England pull one out of nowhere!

Great performances by Smith with good support from Haddin & Johnson and a valuable contribution from Warner at the top also, As TU says, there's some serious question marks on our batting. Watson & Bailey I believe are our two biggest issues followed by Rogers given his age. The other concern is the two leading run getters in the Shiled are Marcus North & Cameron White, no spring chickens, so it's not as if we've got anyone currently banging down the door!

... and a well compiled ton to Smith. If he can keep up the improvement in his batting, he could be a contender for the captaincy down the track.

Top effort from Smith and possibly a match winning one. He batted with real authority.

If Pup goes on for another 3-4 years then the next captain* might be someone who is the right age, right now. The selectors will most probably want to make the next appointment one that could do the job for 4-5 years - history tells us that's how we've traditionally appointed our captains. Smith is at least at the right age. However, the next captain may be someone who is not currently in the team.

Steve's cricket is improving at a very good rate and this current innings will help to establish him as a more permanent player within the side. It's also a bit tricky trying to judge Smith's tactical awareness and leadership qualities. If he's given some more responsibilities, then that could be a pointer. I wonder if he's capable of batting higher in the order? His technique is improving - he's much more solid in defence than when he first came into the side.

If we were to rule out those who might be ineligible, then there's not a lot of other choices if we peer into the future. Another batsman with obvious captaincy capabilities might burst onto the scene though. You just never know. Warner is the right age but he's got a fair bit to prove (outside his current batting prowess)

As for today's play, apart from Smith's fine effort, Johnson continues to impress. His innings was very intelligent and an important knock given the circumstances. Only saw highlights of Warner's innings but a fair bit of Haddin's innings - both of them keep producing the goods. Brad especially, is in great form and is batting as well as ever.

Australia's day.

*Assuming the next captain is a batsman.

Just watched the highlights of the Windies. Holy hell, they are in some strife. Houses being knocked over left right and centre. Just not acceptable at test level.

On the flipside, Boult looks an absolute beauty for the kiwis. Added to his performance with the ball by taking one of the best plucks at point that I've ever seen.

In general or in the context of how the poms have been batting? :)

A bit of both I would say. On the one hand, we should be mindful of the fact that England showed a bit more fight in its last innings and its batting line up is slightly stronger on paper in this match but on the other, they're just one more batting collapse away from losing the Ashes.

If we can bat on today and nudge into the 400's then it might be enough to push this mob over the edge, particularly in the face of a barrage of hostile and intimidatory bowling of which our quicks should be capable on this track (and hopefully aided by field placings more attacking than those employed by the Poms).