Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

Oh how lovely it is to see England get smashed by the Windies. And they can consider themselves fortunate to make 51, when they were at one stage 7/26. Luckily for them Flintoff showed a bit of backbone.

Let's hope they keep that kind of form up going into the Ashes.

Yes that will shut Botham up for a few months! Heard him say a while back the Poms were an absolute "Monty" to white wash the ashes series 5-0 this year. Yeah Right Pom. IN Your Dreams.

All out 51 Hilarious. Even Better than Geelong last year!

Oh how lovely it is to see England get smashed by the Windies. And they can consider themselves fortunate to make 51, when they were at one stage 7/26. Luckily for them Flintoff showed a bit of backbone.

Let's hope they keep that kind of form up going into the Ashes.

I'm glad they have quality batsmen the likes of flintoff down the order to save humiliation and push the total up to a massive 51!

1 run - Just as well or I might have lost all faith!

What are we doing with players who are struggling at state level getting a game, yet a bloke who has dominated all year is left as 12th man? Would have something to do with the Aust. A side (AKA blues) playing victoria in a shield game? Something smells funny to me.....

Big test (pun intended) for the Australian team coming up in South Africa. Should be a cracking series, just like the series here.

My team for the first test:

1. Katich

2. Hughes

3. Ponting

4. Clarke

5. Hussey

6. McDonald

7. Haddin

8. Johnson

9. Siddle

10. McGain

11. Bollinger

12th man Hilfenhaus

Despite his crap in the ODI series, Hilfenhaus should be ready for a call up should Bollinger not provide much in the first two tests. McGain obviously gets the nod over Hauritz, who really shouldn't be in the squad. McDonald gets the 'prized' number 6 spot in place of North due to his far superior bowling and the fact that it would be harsh to call his batting sub-par on the basis of one innings of 15 in which he was dismissed by a pearler.

Big test (pun intended) for the Australian team coming up in South Africa. Should be a cracking series, just like the series here.

My team for the first test:

1. Katich

2. Hughes

3. Ponting

4. Clarke

5. Hussey

6. McDonald

7. Haddin

8. Johnson

9. Siddle

10. McGain

11. Bollinger

12th man Hilfenhaus

Despite his crap in the ODI series, Hilfenhaus should be ready for a call up should Bollinger not provide much in the first two tests. McGain obviously gets the nod over Hauritz, who really shouldn't be in the squad. McDonald gets the 'prized' number 6 spot in place of North due to his far superior bowling and the fact that it would be harsh to call his batting sub-par on the basis of one innings of 15 in which he was dismissed by a pearler.

I think you've got the side for the first test there Titan..Agree with McGain.

The problem with batting McDonald below Haddin is Haddin. I'm not sure he's good enough to bat at 6 in the test team. If he can transfer the confidence he gained from the ODI series into the Test arena, then maybe it would work, but I don't think Haddin is a long term prospect for number 6. Which strengthens the case for North to make his debut in South Africa. Whilst I think McDonald should start in the first test, North's batting in the practice match (52*, compared to McDonald's 24) suggests he's a better prospect for no. 6. But McDonald's bowling provides an extra alternative to Ponting should one of our seamers or McGain struggle.

I'll make the Call, We Are Home!

(7/160)

Oops. We should have been home at 1/70. Poor batting. Surely there isn't a bigger choking team than the Victorian Bushrangers? By my count, that's 2 wins from 7 finals in the last 3 years, including 3 consecutive FR Cup losses (and the only two wins were Twenty/20). White absolutely threw away his wicket, and ran Hussey out too.

It was nice to read that David Boon wants Australia to show faith in a core group of players, just like they did in the mid-80's.

Craddock wrote a piece about this back in November which reflected my thoughts on our recent selection woes, although a few others didn't see it quite the same way.

I don't think Haddin is a long term prospect for number 6.

I agree.

I'd still bat him higher than McDonald.

It's probably a moot point as I imagine North will get picked.

"White absolutely threw away his wicket, and ran Hussey out too."

I agree about White's irresponsible shot.

But I reckon Hussey's dismissal was his own fault. White called him for what should have been an easy quick single. Hussey wasn't backing up AT ALL. He still nearly made it, which means he would have been in by 2 yards if he'd remembered the basic fundamental of backing up.

We lost because of this and other fundamental errors when batting.

I reckon Benny Laughlin gives it a bit of a flick, by the way!

It was nice to read that David Boon wants Australia to show faith in a core group of players, just like they did in the mid-80's.

Oh yeah, that really pleased me. No more of this horses for courses business. South Africa managed to beat us twice and contest well in the third test without changing their team once. Meanwhile, we're about to enter our 15th consecutive test in which we have played a different team to the test before. Let's get a squad (the one we've got now I think is good) and take them to England, play them at home, then take them wherever we go next year.

I'd still bat him higher than McDonald.

It's probably a moot point as I imagine North will get picked.

Not so sure about that. Yes, North will play. But I'm thinking McDonald may play instead of McGain. That would mean McDonald could bat at 8, to keep Haddin at 7, or vice versa. It would really strengthen the batting up, and in terms of bowling, we'd have the three seamers, then McDonald and North to provide back up. But I still think McGain should play.

Of course, if Clarke doesn't play then McDonald and McGain will definitely play. But at the moment, looking at Boonie's words and the way the practice match panned out, I'd think a team with North and McDonald in it is quite likely.

But I reckon Hussey's dismissal was his own fault. White called him for what should have been an easy quick single. Hussey wasn't backing up AT ALL. He still nearly made it, which means he would have been in by 2 yards if he'd remembered the basic fundamental of backing up.

Yeah, I saw it again and you're right, Hussey's backing up was pretty poor.

All that matters is the Shield. Win the Shield and the 20/20 and Ford Ranger pale into insignificance. Win the 20/20 and Ford Ranger and lose the Shield and they still pale into insignificance.

All that matters is the Shield. Win the Shield and the 20/20 and Ford Ranger pale into insignificance. Win the 20/20 and Ford Ranger and lose the Shield and they still pale into insignificance.

Its like comparing the NAB Cup to an AFL Flag. Shield for mine.

Well put grazman.

McGain not selected in first test in Sth Africa. North looks a though he has a start. Interesting..