SEN states Moloney out for the year

Neita3000

Ok..heres where I come from

For far too long we have as a club nurtured the idea..of " just getting by" or "just getting in finals" or just getting on the park !!

I would prefer to see Beamer come good; but it has to be 100% fighting fit.Its a bit akin to buildig something with crook tools.The intent may be there but hte outcome was always diminished. It just doesnt provide for giving yourself or your team the best possible chance going in.

If a player cant do the job pretty well full on week in week out ..then go get another who can.

if you take the cash and walk across the line then you have the responsibility of giving whats been paid for. This goes for anything. Thats the way of the world.

If you start making excuses for why you dont have the best available then you have written your script for failure.

This is not about whether he's a gerat bloke , or he's grown up baracking for the Dees ( ffs so have I and you..what matters that come selection day ?? ) its about being right for the job at hand.

We all talk about players giving 100% in a game... wel if youre constantly injured you cant even start with the hope of a 100% .

Its long past time we hardened up at Melbourne.. "just able " is no longer an option..and it never should have been.

Get better Beamer..thats 100% better.. otherwise negotiating a "better" contract is just playing with ourselves

If he comes back good..thats fine.. again, is preferred outcome.

I know this will sound callous..but you have to wonder in overall terms what value some players are.

I actually quite like Beamer as a player. He has guts and despite a sorta one dimensionality about his play he does put in. But the reality is if he's only available 50% of the time.. I question keeping him.

Try 30% of the time. 25 games in 3 years. It does make you wonder...

If he gets another year payments better be heavily reliant on him getting on the park. Even then I am not sure if its worth him taking up another spot on the list. As every AFL season goes by slow players became less and less valuable and Moloney is about as slow as they come. 25 is not young, unless you're close to a premiership tilt any player 25 or older really needs to be firmly entrenched as one of your 10 most valuable players to be an immediate retention and I am not convinced he is. If Valenti makes his presence felt in the next 10 rounds Moloney's value will diminish even more.

I like him as a player and love his agression and passion for the MFC but I agree that sometimes hard calls need to be made.

I like him as a player and love his agression and passion for the MFC but I agree that sometimes hard calls need to be made.

Cheers,,hadnt looked closely at his stats for a while.. Stats often lie but these can hardly be misinterpreted.

This exactly the point.

When youre trying to build rhythm into a team you need consistancy of makeup. ( well an approximation of it )

A week in week out proposition just doesnt make sense to me.

This is the first time I've ever wondered if he was worth retaining. He's a ripper Beamer, and his footy this year has impressed me, though not overwhelmingly. If he is able to string together 2 good years, then falls to injury again, you have to ask yourself... why?

In the end I say he's earned his spot... but jeez I'm getting sick of our injury-prone list...

If Moloney had more OP-related injuries, then I would understand people being extremely worried. But it's a shoulder injury that could happen to just about anyone.

He's had shoulder problems before, but still I take your point.

Beamer is worth keeping, even just as an insurance policy. His trade value is zero, and when Junior retires (this year?) we'll need an extra hard body in there. Now Valenti could well take over from Beamer, but every club needs depth and that is something we've seriously lacked in the last few years, so keep Beamer and if he recovers well and continues to impress, great.

If he gets another year payments better be heavily reliant on him getting on the park. Even then I am not sure if its worth him taking up another spot on the list. As every AFL season goes by slow players became less and less valuable and Moloney is about as slow as they come. 25 is not young, unless you're close to a premiership tilt any player 25 or older really needs to be firmly entrenched as one of your 10 most valuable players to be an immediate retention and I am not convinced he is. If Valenti makes his presence felt in the next 10 rounds Moloney's value will diminish even more.

With at least 4 of Neitz, Yze, White, Whelan and Junior to retire this year and the likes of Bode, Weetra, Carroll and CJ in the gun, is Moloney really blocking a spot.

As has been said his OP is now controllable such that he is running out games and is selected in the best 22 atm, I would have thought he is worth at least another contract at the right price.

A player who is 25 or over must still be best 22 or at least challenging for that role to look at an extension. Look at the past premiership teams and they include player 25+ who are not best 10 but have a role to play in the side.

With at least 4 of Neitz, Yze, White, Whelan and Junior to retire this year and the likes of Bode, Weetra, Carroll and CJ in the gun, is Moloney really blocking a spot.

As has been said his OP is now controllable such that he is running out games and is selected in the best 22 atm, I would have thought he is worth at least another contract at the right price.

A player who is 25 or over must still be best 22 or at least challenging for that role to look at an extension. Look at the past premiership teams and they include player 25+ who are not best 10 but have a role to play in the side.

Never said he wouldnt be challenging to keep a spot, just that he's not a player you'd automatically retain without question. Given how many years we are away from seriously challenging for a premiership I think any player his age who isnt one of our essential players we should be wary of retaining. I am pesonally undecided, I was just putting it out there that I think his spot on the list should be seriously considered. Not that I don't believe he's a handy player, more of a matter of our position moving forward.

Its highly possible both White & McDonald will stay on and even if 3 of the fringe players named go thats only 6 players, Wona will clearly be elevated, Valenti's a chance for a senior gig, you'd think we'd persist with both Spencer and Zomer at this stage. That may only leave 4 picks & 1 rookie spot. Just have to wait and see I guess.