Nick Naitanui

Tex

Zomer looked lost.

That's because he isn't a natural forward.

He spent most of his time at Ranges in the ruck or at CHB (where by all reports he looked best).

I know when we played him our coaches plain to negate him was to belt the crap out of him while he was rucking to force him out of the middle and go forward. Worked wonders because a) he used to kill us in the ruck and b) their full forward would go into the middle and he killed us when he was forward.

I know Bailey has said long term he sees him as a backman so maybe give him a shot their for a few weeks. Personally I don't see him making it unless he gets fit enough to play as a back-up ruckman/oversized midfielder or utility in the Drew Petrie, Paddy Ryder, Cam Mooney (a few years ago), Richo (on a wing) or even Gilmore (Freo) mould

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually he's been heavily tagged in both games and hasn't dealt with it very well. He's a junoir who has relied heavily on his natural ability to get him through, his reputation for not working hard enough has been around for quite awhile.

Like Trent Cotchin? Like Ryan Griffin? Daniel Wells?

Most of these top junior players have not been heavily tagged before. Suddenly they get a heavy tag from good players and take some time to adjust to it. Look at Nathan Jones. The juniors don't get the help from team mates that AFL players get. Rich has been playing WAFL seniors so has not been getting tagged at all, so this is new for him.

Rich apparently still had 18 touches against SA, so he was hardly disgraced.

I want Rich because he's exactly what you can't get at pick 70 - quality, skillful genuine midfielder. Ruckmen can be picked up anywhere, and Naitanui is also a risk. Plus I believe that star midfielders are infinitely more important than star ruckmen, as shown by past premiership teams.

I want Rich because he's exactly what you can't get at pick 70 - quality, skillful genuine midfielder. Ruckmen can be picked up anywhere, and Naitanui is also a risk. Plus I believe that star midfielders are infinitely more important than star ruckmen, as shown by past premiership teams.

Bob, very few of us have seen much of Rich and therefore are relying on third party accounts about his ability. There's no doubt that he must be good and that his disposal is excellent because that's what everybody from recruiting scouts to the so-called observers" on bigfooty are saying about him. However, we haven't heard very much about what type of midfielder he is and in particular about whether he has genuine pace (which our midfield mix is desperate for IMO). If Rich as a junior was in the same mould as Brock McLean and Nathan Jones and turned out to be one paced, would it make any difference to how you rate his importance as a draft proposition for Melbourne?

So our midfield is desperate for pace - I thought that being quick of mind was more important! ;) (Joke Jack)

I think that midfielders that use the ball well are far more important than ones with a lot of pace. If Nathan Jones had elite skills then he'd be first tagged each week. Geelong's midfield is not fast, but they are so clean with their skills that they transfer the ball easily. And they are quick enough to do their defensive work.

So, in short, no it doesn't affect it.

Like Trent Cotchin? Like Ryan Griffin? Daniel Wells?

He clearly hasn't lived up to his reputation this year, so your comparisons are way off. Cotchin had a poor champs but for the rest of the year he was superb

Most of these top junior players have not been heavily tagged before. Suddenly they get a heavy tag from good players and take some time to adjust to it. Look at Nathan Jones. The juniors don't get the help from team mates that AFL players get. Rich has been playing WAFL seniors so has not been getting tagged at all, so this is new for him.

You missed the point. Rich has a reputation of getting through just on his ability and strength and not working hard enough to improve his game, this reputation has not being isolated for just this year.

Rich apparently still had 18 touches against SA, so he was hardly disgraced.

Sure, but his performances in the champs so far haven't been that of an 'elite midfielder', there are others who are clearly in front of him.

I want Rich because he's exactly what you can't get at pick 70 - quality, skillful genuine midfielder.

Wow, that's some ground breaking info you have there, you can't pick a Rich type player up at number 70.

Ruckmen can be picked up anywhere, and Naitanui is also a risk. Plus I believe that star midfielders are infinitely more important than star ruckmen, as shown by past premiership teams.

Why do people on this site consider Naitanui a risk but Rich is definitely a sure thing? To alot of people Rich has already demonstrated a lack of willingness to push himself to the next level and just to rely on his ability, he could very easily end up being another Colin Sylvia, dominated at underage level because of his build but just goes at senior level. To suggest he's not a risk is just being plain stupid, and he isn't even that quick - just what we need, yet another one paced midfielder

This is all [censored] though because with the number one pick you always go for the best available kid, not go for someone merely because he plays in the best position.

I believe that star midfielders are infinitely more important than star ruckmen, as shown by past premiership teams.

Richardson won them the game tonight. From those that regularly watch Naitanui they say that he won't play as a first ruck, but more a 200cm ruck/midfielder that can push forward. He'll take the centre square then play a Goodes type role.

You're pigeon holing Nicknat as a ruck due to understandable ignorance. You're a Melbourne boy, aren't you ? Anyway, you're wasting your time on the Rich bandwagon. Melbourne will have first pick and they will take Naita. We may as well stop the arguments now.

Your dissention has been duly noted.

You're pigeon holing Nicknat as a ruck due to understandable ignorance. You're a Melbourne boy, aren't you ? Anyway, you're wasting your time on the Rich bandwagon. Melbourne will have first pick and they will take Rich. We may as well stop the arguments now.

natanui you mean?

we will beat richmond..and freo will lose..and we will be off the bottom. enough said

Oh dear, every time you open your gob a 14 inch foot gets nervous.

Keep up the predictions. You're good for the game

We need key Forwards. If Naitanui can play key forward get him if not use our first pick to get someone that can. Ruckman are over rated key forwards win you matches. I agree our Midfield needs some pace but we have enough to get by but we don't have any high quality key forward on our list except Robbo and Newton and Zomer are the only developing Key forwards we have and Newton will never be a key forward more like a FP or HFF.

Oh dear, every time you open your gob a 14 inch foot gets nervous.

Keep up the predictions. You're good for the game

He's the anti-Y_M! His predictions do us good.

Last time I checked the u/18's were considered to be junior level.

fyi of course.

'PERTH NOW'

September 16, 2007 07:00pm

""SUBIACO has thrashed South Fremantle by 95 points at Subiaco Oval in today¿s WAFL preliminary final to book a berth against Claremont next Sunday.

Subiaco and Claremont will now meet in a much-anticipated grand final between by far the two best sides this season. Thanks to an 11-goal third quarter, the Lions beat the Bulldogs 25.14 (164) to 10.9 (69).

Seventeen-year-old Daniel Rich continues his development as the next big thing to come out of WA football. In just his fourth league match, he was simply outstanding and proved that he can do it all on the field.

Despite copping a blood nose in the first-half, Rich finished with 16 possessions but not only that, his left boot was deadly. He hit targets around the ground and nailed three goals, including a Daicos-like effort from the pocket.""

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21...5005401,00.html

My one big criticism of ND was his use of Jeff. As a ruckman he was simply used a kick behind the ball or a link in midfield.

With that history it is understandablr people saying that a ruckmen doing that is not what we need, but Naitanui would not play that role.

He would play a more dynanic role a kick ahead of the play going forward, aswell as behind. Basically, as H said, a Richo-like role.

And Richo kicked 5 and saved about 3 on the line. That's 8 goals right there.

A couple of observations from out west --

the kids were back in the WAFL this weekend &, from reports in the West Australian, Rich was in the best two (Subi v. E. Freo) but NN didn't make top six (v. Peel). There's a story on Rich. These are edited highlights: Rich returned to Subiaco on Saturday after 2 moderate performances in the under 18s carnival but immediately confirmed his special qualities by rising to the higher standard... "Playing in such a good side at Subi I don't always get a tag while I do get one in the 18s," he said." ... The pace is greater in the WAFL & the bodies are bigger but I enjoy it at this level. You have to make decisions much quicker."

I'm also wondering -- for a later pick in the draft -- about an older (20, I think) Claremont player, Ian Richardson, who was BOG in the State game against Qld & kicked four on the weekend. "Pocket rocket" type. Saw him play a couple of weeks ago & he was v. impressive.

Others may have seen this interview w. NN, but in case not

http://www.wafootball.com.au/wafl/15-news/...d-for-afl-draft

'PERTH NOW'

""SUBIACO has thrashed South Fremantle by 95 points at Subiaco Oval in today¿s WAFL preliminary final to book a berth against Claremont next Sunday.

Subiaco and Claremont will now meet in a much-anticipated grand final between by far the two best sides this season. Thanks to an 11-goal third quarter, the Lions beat the Bulldogs 25.14 (164) to 10.9 (69).

Seventeen-year-old Daniel Rich continues his development as the next big thing to come out of WA football. In just his fourth league match, he was simply outstanding and proved that he can do it all on the field.

Despite copping a blood nose in the first-half, Rich finished with 16 possessions but not only that, his left boot was deadly. He hit targets around the ground and nailed three goals, including a Daicos-like effort from the pocket.""

To all those who were thrilled with the win over the Dogs and who wanted to beat the Blues in the last game, here is your real reward. Yes, one of those wins cost us Rich as well, if we take Naitanui after finishing last. Sometimes the long term view is more beneficial to your future.

If we could go back in our time machine, who of those that wanted the win would still hold that view. Both Rich and Naitanui would make a significant difference to our team.

'PERTH NOW'

Thanks for posting an article from September 2007...I guess :blink:

• 4 weeks later...